Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hmm my prediction of Trump dropping to 25% and freaking out in public is looking less flippant by the hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Which major black swan event that's happened this year helped Trump?

The FBI presser, which he hosed up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TVarmy posted:

There has to be some kind of limit in polls-only and polls-plus forecasts on FiveThirtyEight, right? Because this far out, there's still a big number of unknowns and possibilities. Like those charts on weather that shows a cone of where a hurricane could go, and a dark red cone of where it's most likely to go. Has Nate Silver ever said if there's a floor for this? Because as much as I'd bet for Clinton at this point, I admit there's still strange-rear end futures where she could lose. But it'd call for a Trump Pivot that keeps his base, Clinton loving up on unprecedented levels, and a series of horrible tragedies Trump could safely spin in his favor. I'm saying, we have to be near that floor, and we're considering the bit of the yellow cone where Hurricane Donny does a 180 degree turn and starts raining blood instead of water.

Eh, eventually there's just so many What-Ifs? that you just have to draw the line somewhere.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

is that the lowest budget campaign ad ever made?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The FBI presser, which he every republican hosed up.

FTFY

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I thought the Orlando shooting would turn it around for him, actually, until he went and showed he cared more about fomenting praise than mourning the victims.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TVarmy posted:

There has to be some kind of limit in polls-only and polls-plus forecasts on FiveThirtyEight, right? Because this far out, there's still a big number of unknowns and possibilities. Like those charts on weather that shows a cone of where a hurricane could go, and a dark red cone of where it's most likely to go. Has Nate Silver ever said if there's a floor for this? Because as much as I'd bet for Clinton at this point, I admit there's still strange-rear end futures where she could lose. But it'd call for a Trump Pivot that keeps his base, Clinton loving up on unprecedented levels, and a series of horrible tragedies Trump could safely spin in his favor. I'm saying, we have to be near that floor, and we're considering the bit of the yellow cone where Hurricane Donny does a 180 degree turn and starts raining blood instead of water.

Considering his forecast jumped literally 30+ pts in a week there is definitely room for some skepticism

Then again, his model may not even be designed to handle a fluctuation as big as the Trumpening

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
God drat I just cannot wait for the debates. Each one will be a bloodbath.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TVarmy posted:

Those external variables are the reason it's not basically at 100% right now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

straight up brolic posted:

is that the lowest budget campaign ad ever made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO71QxHpBRk

"hey we need you to film a campaign spot"

"aww but it's my smoke break"

"no biggie lets do this"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If we're still on TPP-chat, the thing about trade is that tariffs are the main mechanism by which jobs are protected, and the difference, tariff-wise, between TPP and no TPP is like a 1.5% tariff. We have really, really low tariff rates, even without specific free trade deals.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

DemeaninDemon posted:

God drat I just cannot wait for the debates. Each one will be a bloodbath.

He is literally going to find a way to weasel out of the debates, or send Pence to debate Clinton. He's already a maverick and doesn't Play By Their Rules, so this won't result in anything bad happening to him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TVarmy posted:

I thought the Orlando shooting would turn it around for him, actually, until he went and showed he cared more about fomenting praise than mourning the victims.

It is amazing that a summer this ripe with terrorism is not working to the GOPs benefit

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SquadronROE posted:

He is literally going to find a way to weasel out of the debates, or send Pence to debate Clinton. He's already a maverick and doesn't Play By Their Rules, so this won't result in anything bad happening to him.

...As Trump rapidly loses like 15 points in the polls, are we still harping on "NOTHING TOUCHES HIM"?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
If this election gives us an uncensored John McCain interview giving a motherfucking to every GOP-er that's loving with him right now, that may make up for approximately 1/4th of the damage of bringing Sarah Palin into limelight in my mind.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

SquadronROE posted:

if he punts the debates with a 5-10 point spread, he loses the election. He basically has to participate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

zoux posted:

New McClatchy/Marist poll has H48 T33
:eyepop:

Thirty Three.

jfc someone here yesterday was talking about eventually seeing a 52-32 poll and a loving day later a 48-33 comes out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is amazing that a summer this ripe with terrorism is not working to the GOPs benefit

Trump doesn't make people feel safe.

nachos posted:

jfc someone here yesterday was talking about eventually seeing a 52-32 poll and a loving day later a 48-33 comes out

It's deffo the biggest gap yet, but Marist is a really good pollster.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TVarmy posted:

I mean, I'm sure it contributed to him narrowing the gap leading up to the RNC, but yeah, a competent candidate would have leveraged that much harder.

Praise Allah, that's not what we're dealing with.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

...As Trump rapidly loses like 15 points in the polls, are we still harping on "NOTHING TOUCHES HIM"?

But nothing matters, lol!

*things mattering intensifies*

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

This Iran video snafu seems like Trump saw a potential headline in it yesterday and is simply trying to keep (a nonstory) in the news cycle, hence claiming "I saw the video, I swears it" over and over.

Granted it's having the opposite effect and turning it from potential fodder against the Dems into yet another liability for him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

if he punts the debates with a 5-10 point spread, he loses the election. He basically has to participate.

Of course, this assumes that Trump is smart enough to understand this/care that all his staffers are yelling this at him. Which he...probably is. Probably. ...Maybe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

. He's already a maverick and doesn't Play By Their Rules, so this won't result in anything bad happening to him.

I think this past week has proven that exceptionally wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

That, I think, is a big issue for Trump. He's banking on fear but not offering safety. Which could work if he was an entirely competent and capable candidate but he's loving up so often that he can't depend on being "the guy so together he can handle the scary situation."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TVarmy posted:

That's why it's expressed as a percentage.

EDIT:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering his forecast jumped literally 30+ pts in a week there is definitely room for some skepticism

Then again, his model may not even be designed to handle a fluctuation as big as the Trumpening

One model did this, the others were much less drastic.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 4, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SquadronROE posted:

Which would be worse than watching him rip Clinton's boot out his rear end on the debate stage.

This is a really stupid idea. Thinking he'll bail on the debate that is.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Of course, this assumes that Trump is smart enough to understand this/care that all his staffers are yelling this at him. Which he...probably is. Probably. ...Maybe.

Exactly. He is too dense to actually understand, and there will still be a core of people who - despite all evidence to the contrary - will get into the voting booth and pull the (R) lever since "It's time to have a change and they get a chance." The current crop of voters grew up with the White House alternating party control, and they will seek comfort in that stability.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Which would be worse than watching him rip Clinton's boot out his rear end on the debate stage.

This is a really stupid idea. Thinking he'll bail on the debate that is.

yeah if trump bails all hillary has to do is imply he's scared of strong women and bask in the twitter meltdown

like all of trump's actions over the last 1.5 years are inexorably leading towards him being humiliated by a woman in front of the entire world and it is so good, so glorious

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh I know, its hilarious how thing is another GOP bread and butter he completely failed on capitalizing on

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't think assuming Trump will listen to people yelling at him, or is smart enough to be more than tangentially in contact with reality, is really a safe assumption any longer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh I know, its hilarious how thing is another GOP bread and butter he completely failed on capitalizing on

Yeah it owns.

Like they've completely vacated the Party of National Security position.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

axeil posted:

Uh :stare:

so does this mean McCain and Ayotte are about to un-endorse Trump?

Nobody's going to un-endorse Trump until it's politically safe and expedient to do so. If republicans were going to turn their backs on him for moral reasons or to save their dignity they would have done so a long time ago.

Wait until he's solidly down 10-15 points with only a few weeks to go, that's when the rats will flee the sinking ship.

zoux posted:

New McClatchy/Marist poll has H48 T33
:eyepop:

Thirty Three.

Oh hello

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think Trump won't skip the debate because he honestly thinks he will win

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah it owns.

Like they've completely vacated the Party of National Security position.

Like Cruz would already have FNC doing daily stories about "the summer of blood"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

...is your proposal that a law was passed in the United States, therefore it is a good law?

His speech in Portland was very uninteresting.

He said he'd fix everything, and railed on E-mails for a while. Said that Tim Kaine isn't popular in Virginia and is bad, but Mike Pence is very good.

He seems exhausted.

Sounds like we need a Hillary staffer to point out his low energy on Twitter!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Per CNN, Trump is kicking out people holding pocket Constitutions.

Which is ironic, given that used to be a Tea Party thing :allears:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Conveniently for him no matter how poorly he does he still won.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like Cruz would already have FNC doing daily stories about "the summer of blood"

Meanwhile Trump's like "oooh I wanna use nukes on somebody"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, he probably thinks that he'll be able to beat Hillary and that will be the thing that will turn his numbers around.

The only problem with that is Hillary gives zero fucks about unhinging her jaw and swallowing him whole while imagining he's any one of a thousand republicans that have made her life hell for the last 25+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
In honour of the WWE Superstar winning his GOP primary this week, I would like to say that Donald Trump is basically 1994-2001 WCW re-written as a presidential candidate.

• Locked thread