Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

That man is my spirit animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'll add to this a story from where i've worked. We hauled methanol which is incredibly flammable. We use the same trailers for everything, water, methanol, kerosene, etc. the pumps on the truck can't get all the fluid out, and there are baffles in the trailer that hold small bits of fluid. there are 5-6 hatches along the top of the trailer to access each area in between the baffles. When you're switching fluid, you have to drain down the trailer, if it has to be empty, you have to rock the truck to get the fluid to move past the bottom of the baffles. One of the drivers was dumping methanol on a concrete pad that drained into a catch basin. he opened all the belly valves to drain, and got into the truck, drove it forward a few feet and grabbed the brakes to rock the truck. A rock in his tire sparked against the concrete pad turning an elliptical trailer round, and starting a scavenger hunt for for the hatches that were blown off the top of the tank. Nearly 2 years later they found the last one sitting in the weeds at the other end of the yard.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Powershift posted:

I'll add to this a story from where i've worked. We hauled methanol which is incredibly flammable. We use the same trailers for everything, water, methanol, kerosene, etc. the pumps on the truck can't get all the fluid out, and there are baffles in the trailer that hold small bits of fluid. there are 5-6 hatches along the top of the trailer to access each area in between the baffles. When you're switching fluid, you have to drain down the trailer, if it has to be empty, you have to rock the truck to get the fluid to move past the bottom of the baffles. One of the drivers was dumping methanol on a concrete pad that drained into a catch basin. he opened all the belly valves to drain, and got into the truck, drove it forward a few feet and grabbed the brakes to rock the truck. A rock in his tire sparked against the concrete pad turning an elliptical trailer round, and starting a scavenger hunt for for the hatches that were blown off the top of the tank. Nearly 2 years later they found the last one sitting in the weeds at the other end of the yard.

How can this be considered even vaguely safe? At the very least you'd be contaminating whatever gets pumped into the trailer next.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chitoryu12 posted:

How can this be considered even vaguely safe? At the very least you'd be contaminating whatever gets pumped into the trailer next.

"MMmmmmm, this water tastes a bit Keroseny....."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

drinking water trailers can only ever haul drinking water, and have to be inspected in a whole bunch of other ways. We never hauled drinking water.

Methanol disolves in water, so switching from Methanol to water, 10 liters of methanol disolving into 30,000 liters of water isn't gently caress all, especially only on the first or 10-100 loads of water. Hauling water at -40*c, you have to dump a couple liters of methanol through the pump after loading/unloading to prevent it from freezing solid on the road. the water is all being pumped straight into the ground, well below the water table, so a little methanol does nothing. Methanol is also used as a clay stabilizer for holes with layers of clay below the casing. switching from water to methanol is nothing too, because the methanol naturally has trace amounts of water anyways.

Our biggest problems came from switching from water to kerosene in -25*c. Everything freezes from the outside in, so you naturally have a layer of ice sticking to the inside surface of the tank. Then you load 0*C kerosene, it melts the ice, turns it to water which is heavier and settles at the bottom of the tank where your pick-ups and drains are, and refreezes, so you're hauling kerosene which doesn't freeze until -40, and you can't unload at all because there are ice blocks in your plumbing from ice that formed hauling water.

We also hauled KCL, which is basically potash fertilizer, which did cause enough problems with a water requirement that when switching you need to drain, take on another 1000 liters of water, drive around to mix it and drain again. Switching from kerosene back to water the tank had to be cleaned and steamed out, which took about an hour per tank. I have some fun stories with all of this poo poo i can type out of people give a poo poo.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

drinking water trailers can only ever haul drinking water, and have to be inspected in a whole bunch of other ways. We never hauled drinking water.

Methanol disolves in water, so switching from Methanol to water, 10 liters of methanol disolving into 30,000 liters of water isn't gently caress all, especially only on the first or 10-100 loads of water. Hauling water at -40*c, you have to dump a couple liters of methanol through the pump after loading/unloading to prevent it from freezing solid on the road. the water is all being pumped straight into the ground, well below the water table, so a little methanol does nothing. Methanol is also used as a clay stabilizer for holes with layers of clay below the casing. switching from water to methanol is nothing too, because the methanol naturally has trace amounts of water anyways.

Our biggest problems came from switching from water to kerosene in -25*c. Everything freezes from the outside in, so you naturally have a layer of ice sticking to the inside surface of the tank. Then you load 0*C kerosene, it melts the ice, turns it to water which is heavier and settles at the bottom of the tank where your pick-ups and drains are, and refreezes, so you're hauling kerosene which doesn't freeze until -40, and you can't unload at all because there are ice blocks in your plumbing from ice that formed hauling water.

We also hauled KCL, which is basically potash fertilizer, which did cause enough problems with a water requirement that when switching you need to drain, take on another 1000 liters of water, drive around to mix it and drain again. Switching from kerosene back to water the tank had to be cleaned and steamed out, which took about an hour per tank. I have some fun stories with all of this poo poo i can type out of people give a poo poo.

I'd be interested....I am assuming you live in....Canada? I liked watching Ice Road Truckers so I imagine you were one of the characters in that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spud posted:

I'd be interested....I am assuming you live in....Canada? I liked watching Ice Road Truckers so I imagine you were one of the characters in that.

Yeah, canada. Ice road truckers is an incredibly sensationalized version of one of the more boring jobs. Yeah they drive across frozen lakes, but they're never the first one down a road. Where they're told to stop and wait for a plow, I was told to chain up and see if we can make it in yet. I've watched a few seasons of that show and i've never seen them need a steering chain, or a situation where they were hooked up to a cat before their first attempt at a hill. Most of the people actually doing the work hate the ice road truckers thing because they do stupid poo poo that gets in the way of people actually making a living like swinging the trailer all over the place because "lol out of control!" or getting stuck and digging holes in the road where you couldn't get stuck unless you tried.

One of my favorite stories comes from a road in northern alberta called the simonette. A lot of the roads we use were former logging roads, and used the same radio rules, meaning you get on the road channel(usually ladd 1-4). there are mileage markers where you should call out your mileage, some listed as "must call" because the next few kms had twisty turns and no passing areas. Most of the worst roads, being on the road channel was mandatory, and larger rig moving companies stayed on their own channel so they could talk poo poo about everybody else on the road. Unrelated, but you can rent a radio if you plan on driving these roads and hear some neat poo poo like the fox vegas hooker booking customers and also not get run over. They're logging roads so you call like a logging truck whether you have a load or not, you're "empty whatever mile whatever" going into the bush, "loaded whatever mile whatever" coming out. It confuses some paint chip connoisseurs who haul poo poo into the bush, but as long as you remember that a log truck never hauls trees into the bush and never comes out empty you'll be fine.

Anyways, there is always a road cop who you listen to or your company can't use that road anymore. They're private roads owned by private companies and they decide who uses them. When they have a wide load coming up the road, often something wider than the road itself, they own the road, it's their road, you get the gently caress off of it. They send warnings up and down the radio that a wide load is leaving. It's always a pain in the rear end meeting a truck that's not on the road channel, because you have a deadline to meet, and you can't drive as if there's possibly somebody around every corner, so you're ripping in at full speed and SURPRISE, there's some dickhead with a wide load ready to push you off the road. One of these dickheads got caught going against a wide load with the road cop in the lead. He was driving a low boy with a jeep and a booster, that's an extra trailer in front, and an extra axle on the back.

Pulling a 3 axle trailer, that's 1 pivot point, a 40 foot trailer and 6 axles total, there are a lot of corners that are hard to make. This guy has 2 pivot points, 12 axles and an 80 foot long trailer. This guy wasn't on the radio, and was ignoring all the trucks pulled over onto the side, and all the guys trying to flag him down.He came bumper to bumper with the road cop with a 26 foot wide tank coming in behind him. He spent the next 2 hours backing up nearly 19km before he found a road he could get off onto. He backed from km 11 to km 30. I was at km 14 waiting to get on. I radioed that he could pull off on 20 and there was a smaller logging road he could probably drive straight out on, and the road cop radio'd back "he's still not on the channel and i don't care."

Here are some pics from that area:

just keep it centered between the logs and you're probably on the road:

the main trunk road is mud, the side roads are snow, so you end up with a 2000lb mixture of ice and mud stuck to the truck.

You get a lot of campers coming in on these roads doing 80kph with no radio, too. The speed limit for trucks is 60, for smaller vehicles it's 80. The general rule is if you push a truck into the ditch, you stop and pull it out. If you push a camper into the ditch, they'll be fine there, they've got a camper.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

[desire to know more intensifies]

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dammit, now I wanna see these things do monster truck rallies :black101:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dammit, now I wanna see these things do monster truck rallies :black101:

how did I miss this gif of your mom's daily driver

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Elsa posted:

150 ton. do you mean 15 ton, or 150 ton like the rock quarry haulers like http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/off-highway-trucks/mining-trucks/18089787.html

Yep.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

I was originally hoping for pictures is why I asked. But I thought about it during a drive yesterday and realized it might be a bad idea.

Can you describe it maybe.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
He was doing a special project haul off of the main haul road, no berms, went around a corner and ended up on his side in the ditch. Just flopped on its side against a bank, not completely over. No pictures on the job site, I like my job. :angel:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah I didn't think Ice Road truckers was realistic at all, but it's great for people like me that live in rainy little England.

That looks like my dream job tbh....loads of open space, time to yourself, cold weather....does it pay well?

Maybe make a "trucking" thread or something?

e: THe gently caress do you do if you break down out there? Whats the farthest you can be from another human being doing that job?

spud fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 4, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Chocobo posted:

He was doing a special project haul off of the main haul road, no berms, went around a corner and ended up on his side in the ditch. Just flopped on its side against a bank, not completely over. No pictures on the job site, I like my job. :angel:

oh, right, I forgot about the ground giving way. I was curious how something with such a stout wheelbase could tip. I've seen a few dumptrucks of gravel do it, though.

There was the time our operators decided to tow a 30 ton Mercedes dump using another 30 ton Mercedes and a chain around the bumper and control arm. The chain ripped the bumper clean off but not before putting pressure against the radiator and oil coolers and puncturing them.

They finally reported the Mercedes was out of fuel and let us figure out the rest. I called one of the operators over and flipped down the access cover to the super-duper beefy built-in tow hook.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Powershift posted:

Yeah, canada. Ice road truckers is an incredibly sensationalized version of one of the more boring jobs. Yeah they drive across frozen lakes, but they're never the first one down a road. Where they're told to stop and wait for a plow, I was told to chain up and see if we can make it in yet. I've watched a few seasons of that show and i've never seen them need a steering chain, or a situation where they were hooked up to a cat before their first attempt at a hill. Most of the people actually doing the work hate the ice road truckers thing because they do stupid poo poo that gets in the way of people actually making a living like swinging the trailer all over the place because "lol out of control!" or getting stuck and digging holes in the road where you couldn't get stuck unless you tried.
Spent a good portion of the past two winters working up a mountain where trucks were often forced to run two full sets of chains PLUS a steering chain. Saw some very interesting tracks and fender imprints half way off of fatal ledges... Logging truck/lowbed operators are a different breed, and I have immense respect for them.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

spud posted:

Yeah I didn't think Ice Road truckers was realistic at all, but it's great for people like me that live in rainy little England.

That looks like my dream job tbh....loads of open space, time to yourself, cold weather....does it pay well?

e: THe gently caress do you do if you break down out there? Whats the farthest you can be from another human being doing that job?

Trucking thread you say? Have I got something for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564295&pagenumber=1

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

spud posted:

"MMmmmmm, this water tastes a bit Keroseny....."

British soldiers had this problem in WW2 North Africa with fuel cans being reused to haul water. They just manned up and made tea with the water to mask the taste :colbert:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:gary: Thanks man!

BattleMaster posted:

British soldiers had this problem in WW2 North Africa with fuel cans being reused to haul water. They just manned up and made tea with the water to mask the taste :colbert:

Yep, and this is why, thanks to my grandad, I have one leg a foot shorter than the other.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Chocobo posted:

No pictures on the job site, I like my job. :angel:
I've had basic safety training and site orientation at 3 different oil companies in the same province where Powershift does most of his work. I'm a scientist, working on some projects that are on oil-company property so I'm considered a "contractor" and am treated accordingly. It's fun watching the regular guys get all confused when they ask me what I do - they're expecting me to say something like "electrical" or "upgrader" or something, and I say "ecological restoration and reclamation".

The NO PHOTOGRAPHS rule was presented as a safety consideration during mandatory training at one of the oil companies I went to. At another oil company it was presented as a simple "This is our company policy, it's our private land and you're a guest here, so deal with it". Back at the first company, more training, and they revealed that the photographs-are-verbotten thing IS a safety policy, because "Reputation" is something to protect at the same level as "Workers" and "The Environment" in their big safety hierarchy. The third company explained it as part of the no-cellphones thing (especially while driving) - more of a "don't be distracted while responsible for 100 tonnes of lethal machinery" than anything else.

I had a permit, though, which was a fun day for the exit-guards. They'd never seen a camera permit before.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spud posted:

It did. The oil crash killed the industry. At peak i was getting $120 an hour with a truck i paid $17,000 for. There's still opportunity in the logging, but there are enough drivers out of work that they're not taking foreigners like they did. In 2012, some of the frac companies had entire crews of fresh-off-the-boat irishmen. Now a days everybody ha gone to day rate, which means if you work 5 days a month, you get paid for 5 days work. If you don't answer the phone you're at the bottom of the list.

There's a trucker thread in AI, but it's fairly dead these days. It is what you describe sometimes, if you feel like it you can park at a dead end and sleep 100km away from another human being. work for 3 days without seeing a paved road or another human being.

Other days it's office politics and 3 dickhead bosses fighting it out, or 5 in the morning, hour 14 of a 15 hour shift hauling water at -40*c and some dickhead consultant who just woke up comes out of his warm shack to bitch because you didn't wake up the well testers to spot you backing straight up across an empty location.

It's like a dream job ruined by humans and economics, really.

quote:

You don't, you limp the truck home. You can be an hour from the nearest human being. No phone service, nobody within radio. My closest breakdown was at least an hour off the highway out in the bush, lost, and the truck started chugging and dropped to what felt like 50hp. i couldn't do more than about 20kph in the middle of the night. I was eventually able to find the location, unload, and limp it back to fox vegas. The next morning, i tried everything i could, replaced both fuel filters spending an hour getting the fuel system bled and the truck running each time. chugging around the town trying to get it running right each time, completely blanketing the town in a thick black soot. I eventually had to get it hauled back to the edson shop of the company i was contracting for, and again threw everything i could at it and everything they could suggest, fuel filers, jake solenoids, oil, oil filter, fresh diesel. I eventually figured out that it only started chugging and dying after hitting the jake brake. already having replaced the jake solenoids, i had to give up. shut the jakes off and drove it back to the city i live in and drop it at the mack shop. They spent at least a week on it, and ended up figuring out the pin on the end of a rocker that activates the jake solenoid broke off and plugged an oil passage causing the jake brake to get stuck on fighting any forward movement until the oil pressure bled down enough to release it. So essentially i had 500hp pushing me forward and 450hp pulling me back. Despite spending probably 40 hours on it, they only charged the 8 hours it would have taken to replace the rocker, meaning between the tow, parts i threw at it, the parts they threw at it and all that, i was only out about $3000. I keep that rocker arm on my desk to this day as a $3,000 bottle opener.

In terms of breakdowns, and more OSHA related, hours of service, all the hours of service stuff goes out the window in an emergency. I was hauling firefighting equipment up to zama city Broke down in edmonton, alberta at 10pm when the air dryer for my air brake system started dumping air every time it opened, and i ended up having to replace the air dryer in the parking lot of the mack dealership with a socket set and a pipe wrench until nearly midnight. I was told i had to leave whitecourt, a town nearly 2 hours north, at 6am with the rest of the convoy. There's violation 1. I did get what is probably the best picture i've ever taken of my truck at that point though, right there, broken down in the parking lot of the dealer.

So i got to whitecourt around 2am, slept for 4 hours, and carried on with the rest of the team. it took more than 12 hours to do the next 400km to manning alberta because the truck i was traveling with kept getting shut down by it's emissions systems. We finally gave up on the truck just north of manning, I had to run ahead to keg river, drop my trailer, go back for his, bring it in to zama city on backroads because the highway in was on fire, and then head back to park under my trailer so nobody tried to steal poo poo off it the night. Going in with the crew at about 10pm, there were hundreds if not thousands of buffalo all over the side of the road. Ripping back out at midnight, they were all laying on the road enjoying the heat coming off it, and the protection from mosquitos the smoke provided, so you come around a corner and see nothing but buffalo. i got back to the trailer, slept a few hours, and brought it into zama, unloaded, got back out through the police roadblocks and then slept for a good 15 hour before taking my time getting home having done 2 days work for 2 trucks in just over 2 days with 1 truck.

Having hauled both trailers in full of stuff, i also had to haul them both back out empty, which was noticeably easier.

I'll have to organize my pics and do a big picture dump in the trucker thread at some point.

It should also be noted that despite being called "zama city", it has a population of under 100 people. and is more than 600km away from anything that would actually be considered a city. Go to google maps, search zama city, and then zoom out until you see something you recognize.

BattleMaster posted:

To be fair, most tea is almost indistinguishable from a nice, good quality kerosene.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 4, 2016

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Awesome stuff, I love learning about this poo poo. Keep it up!

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does your truck have like a bed and a microwave in it? And a kettle? That is poo poo is cool as gently caress, it's like having a little apartment that can tow stuff.

spud fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
The Simonette is a glorious road. I always preferred doing it in winter as opposed to the summer since if it hadn't rained there was 8" of dust in August. If it had rained, well, 4x4 from the Highway 43 turn off to the 7000 road. After that we were usually ok. It was nice only having do do that drive a couple of times a month.

The roads can be pretty safe with out the radio as long as you realise that trucks like Powershifts are coming at you. They can not possibly avoid you if you're being stupid, and you are going to lose. Take it easy, give right of way and stop at approaches whenever you see a line up of trucks coming your way. The frac crews happened to be the worst. (I'm looking at you Sanjel). Very few of the personal pickups carry radios.

My favourite was the Boardwalk. I dunno, 6k? of swamp mats with very few pullouts. Never ever go off the mats, even if you have a jacked up truck. You are in for a bad time. It was always amazing how many people even with radios didn't understand the concept of loaded trucks have the right of way, they seemed to be drawn to that road.

There was also the fun part of having to dodge 4" Hevi-Wate drill pipe on one hill after one trucker lost a bunch on the way up. That was a party. I don't know how they figured out that mess and I'm glad I wasn't party of it.

It's a wonder that there were as little issues as we had in the year and a half I was out that way.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
My friend's hoarder neighbour decided to build their own balcony. Looks up to code!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Old Balls McGee posted:

The Simonette is a glorious road. I always preferred doing it in winter as opposed to the summer since if it hadn't rained there was 8" of dust in August. If it had rained, well, 4x4 from the Highway 43 turn off to the 7000 road. After that we were usually ok. It was nice only having do do that drive a couple of times a month.

The roads can be pretty safe with out the radio as long as you realise that trucks like Powershifts are coming at you. They can not possibly avoid you if you're being stupid, and you are going to lose. Take it easy, give right of way and stop at approaches whenever you see a line up of trucks coming your way. The frac crews happened to be the worst. (I'm looking at you Sanjel). Very few of the personal pickups carry radios.

My favourite was the Boardwalk. I dunno, 6k? of swamp mats with very few pullouts. Never ever go off the mats, even if you have a jacked up truck. You are in for a bad time. It was always amazing how many people even with radios didn't understand the concept of loaded trucks have the right of way, they seemed to be drawn to that road.

There was also the fun part of having to dodge 4" Hevi-Wate drill pipe on one hill after one trucker lost a bunch on the way up. That was a party. I don't know how they figured out that mess and I'm glad I wasn't party of it.

It's a wonder that there were as little issues as we had in the year and a half I was out that way.

Yeah, the boardwalks are fun because a little bit of rain makes them fun, a little bit of frost makes them hell. We were running one off the 2000 road, the location was completely matted with 2 levels with a bit of a ram up to the top. right on the edge of the lower set of mats so you had to do a hard right hander on wet mats with speed; We were fine with it for 3 days with rain and a little bit of snow, on day 4, the first guy in was a newfie, and just couldn't manage. On his third attempt, he ended up getting his front drive axles right against the lip on the top set of mats and just sat there spinning until someone came up and told him to stop. That made the medic freak out and complain, so everybody had to chain up. Of course there was no reason whatsoever to chain up, especially on the side of a muddy narrow road, so we'd come onto the big wide rig matted lease to do it, and then she complained about us climbing under the trucks to chain up.

Some frosty mats.

spud posted:

Does your truck have like a bed and a microwave in it? And a kettle? That is poo poo is cool as gently caress, it's like having a little apartment that can tow stuff.

No, it was just a box with a bed, a closet and a little counter.

some osha stuff.

Fire!

Don't buy chinese tires

What happens when the truck only holds 6 liters of washer fluid and it's a 70km round trip off the highway

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 5, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

please tell me "Old Balls McGee" and "Powershift" are also your trucker radio handles

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Don't buy chinese tires

I can see the air in those

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elsa posted:

I can see the air in those

only for a moment though, it's escaping I fear.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
This is an old picture, from several months ago. You ever slowly put your thumb over a hose? Imagine doing that with invert, an oil based drilling mud. This mud weighed around 2100 kg/m3, chock full of calcium carbide, lime, emulsifiers and what not. It also burns.

The rig was in northern BC, around Chetwynd, an area known for high formation pressure. The Driller saw some kick warning signs, and decided to flow check. This entails pulling the string (drill pipe) and therefor the bit off bottom, turning off the rotary and the pump and then visually watching for mud moving in the shaker box.

He didn't get very far before realising that there actually was a kick. He stopped, chained down the brake handle and closed the annular preventer (bag) which is the general procedure. The problem was that the bag takes 15+ seconds to close. A better choice would have been the pipe rams (4-5 seconds to close) but no one ever really thinks that the above mess will happen and we get so trained to do the bag first.

The wash gun ran overtime that day.

In other news, some people don't know how to drive in sand

and his guy didn't. He pretty much just pinned it as soon as he thought he may be in trouble. I was expecting a snapped drive shaft watching him. He also wandered off the gravel for reasons. It's pretty cool to see drivers that do know how to drive in sand.

Tough to see in this picture how close this truck of invert is to going over. I'm glad I didn't have to help that poo poo show. Thankfully it didn't tip, since 45m3 (give or take) would have been a mess

But they aren't always bad days

I should have a buttload of pics from hosed up situations, but we have a fairly strict cell phone policy at work.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

OK what is the purpose of a trailer setup like this?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The thread hasn't been the same since nutcup stopped posting :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sandoz posted:

OK what is the purpose of a trailer setup like this?

You're only allowed a certain amount of weight per axle/set of axles. In alberta it's 5500kg for a drive axle with 11r tires(standard size), 17,000kg for a set of tandems, and 24,000kg for a set of tridems(3 axles). These change a little bit based on the axle spread and all that With my truck, loaded i couldn't weigh more than 46,500kg. (24k+17k+5500)

With that combination sharing the weight, he could have 24000kg on the truck, 24,000 on the jeep, 24,000 on the trailer and 24,000 on the booster. so his entire combination could weigh over 100,000kgs, and he would be able to haul something like a cat D11 on it, which weighs around 100,000kgs.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

The thread hasn't been the same since nutcup stopped posting :(

Agreed that thread is pretty much dead like powershift said, but for the first time there its cool to read through for new people.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Kind of tangential to OSHA jurisdiction, but work safety related: It has been confirmed that the cause of a bar fire that claimed 13 lives in Rouen, France were flammable sound insulation boards, that caught when a patron tripped on the stairs and dropped a birtday cake with lit candles.

It's pretty much a smaller version of the Station nightclub fire. People don't seem to learn that proper sound insulation foam is expensive for a good reason.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 7, 2016

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
Hope this isn't a repost, and hope this is OSHA enough, but man fights with excavator? Seems fine right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z76TVxDfRgM

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

johnnyratbastard posted:

Hope this isn't a repost, and hope this is OSHA enough, but man fights with excavator? Seems fine right here...

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785825&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This is all I could think about reading about that waterslide

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290020&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

johnnyratbastard posted:

Excavator operator understands zoning and going hull down. This is the man we need to send to excavator war.

...seriously though who picks a fight with an excavator