Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Looks like there will be no more golf equipment from Nike.

http://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/760950717574180864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

WienerDog posted:

Bullshit.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
So is Tiger gonna get a Bridgestone sponsorship?

Edit: it's legit http://news.nike.com/news/nike-focuses-golf-innovation-on-footwear-and-apparel-transitions-out-of-equipment

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

WienerDog posted:

This is violence against me and my brand loyalty.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So I should be getting some Nike balls really cheap, yeah?

I'm not exactly in the market for clubs, but I really like their golf balls.

I think apparel is only gonna get more expensive.

I have no idea what I'm feeling right now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Wrong thread

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nike pulling out of making equipment and Adidas trying to firesale TMAG/Adams. Very very interesting.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hmm so what is Rory going to be using now?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo Nike pulling out of golf. Guess I'll wait a few months to pick up that vapor fly pro 2 iron at an extreme discount. Maybe a matching vapro fly pro 3 wood too to match my driver.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Hmm so what is Rory going to be using now?

He'll go to the highest bidder which will be Acushnet or PXG I would think.

While still wearing the swoosh on everything else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

That wedge is loving incredible.

Seriously, I love it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

2.93 vs 2.86 if you're in a PGA event. The rough is friendlier on most courses, and most golfers have more self-induced inaccuracy so I think that'll overcome the 0.07 stroke gap. It's bogeying and double bogeying from that distance that'll get people like me, not an inability to get up and down from that distance.

Two rounds so far, some interesting data. First, I'm missing a lot of fairways I routinely hit changing from 5w to driver. Second, mostly, the rough isn't that big a deal on the shot, but it is making the distance advantage of the driver less just due to the lack of roll out. Third, I'm more accurate with the lob wedge than I figured, but not more so than a full gap wedge. Lack of practice, I'm sure. I'm spending some range time on that.

The holes I routinely hit 5W off the tee, with driver it's a psychological issue to be in a less advantageous line AND with a less comfortable club. I'll get over that. I suspect that I'll find the middle ground where I'll still hit the far more accurate club off the tee and give up some distance if it still leaves me with a wedge in. It may be possible that a half lob is somewhat more accurate than a full gap, but I'm not sure it can overcome the relative certainty of good line/lie.

Going to keep tracking, but not force myself into those situations so much next couple of weeks.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

He'll go to the highest bidder which will be Acushnet or PXG I would think.

While still wearing the swoosh on everything else.

I would bet the house [Rory] goes back to Acushnet. PXG probably can't afford him.

That being said, he signed a 10 year deal with Nike until 2023(?).

A more interesting question for me is, "What is Tiger gonna do?" Assuming he comes back to a full schedule next year, does he play his Nike clubs until he's done with golf? Does HE go somewhere else?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Parsons is a multi multi billionaire who only cares about golf. He could pick up whoever he wants I think. His irons are supposed to be incredible. The other clubs not so much.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

I would bet the house [Rory] goes back to Acushnet. PXG probably can't afford him.

That being said, he signed a 10 year deal with Nike until 2023(?).

A more interesting question for me is, "What is Tiger gonna do?" Assuming he comes back to a full schedule next year, does he play his Nike clubs until he's done with golf? Does HE go somewhere else?

I mean both of them kicked mad rear end on tour with other irons before switch to Nike clubs. So I don't really see a problem for either of them, poo poo Rory might breath a sigh of relief not having to use Nike clubs and only having to wear their clothes.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Wow that is startling news. We knew they weren't turning a profit on clubs but that was never their top priority in the first place.

Wonder if I should hang on to this extra Vapor Fly Pro driver still in plastic to sell down the road lol. Or keep it as a backup since I hit my other one very well again tonight.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I actually genuinely like my VR pro combos. Guess I may go stock up on some RZN balls. Folks should give a shout out if they see any sort of crazy sale.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My initial hope was for a firesale, but given the pricing on those Vapor Fly woods, I wouldn't expect retailers to discount any more. After all, they aren't getting credits or rebates from the manufacturer, and there won't be 2017 models to obsolete the current products.

Really hope Rory comes back to Titleist. We always have a place for you.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I love my Vapor Speed 5W more than any other club in my bag. :(

Also dont mind the RZN balls either, though Im really digging the Bridgestone E6 and E7 I picked up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My counterfeit Scotty Cameron headcover arrived and it's really nice!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Um excuse me that is clearly only for tour use, not for you weekend warriors :colbert: it owns, great choice

i too had a thing arrive today!

A box! What mysteries lie within?

A DOZEN DIABLO TOURS :woop:

But wait! Keep your fork, there's pie!

EnsGDT owns and these are totally going along to Scotland in a week :toot:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I got my 6 dozen duck dynasty orange balls the other day, they are terrible balls all around, but drat it it was worth it.

Furnaceface posted:

I love my Vapor Speed 5W more than any other club in my bag. :(

Also dont mind the RZN balls either, though Im really digging the Bridgestone E6 and E7 I picked up.

RZN balls are pretty nice. I generally play Taylormade TP's and the occasional ProV1..only found/hit a couple RZN balls. E6 is obviously going to be a much better alternative to these if you have high spin problems. I used to love them for playing in the fall/winter though

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

EnsGDT owns and these are totally going along to Scotland in a week :toot:

<3 Enjoy!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Bob Parsons, founder of PXG, talks about his interest in Nike players.

Parsons posted:

Parsons belief is that there will be opportunities.

“We’re just going to sit back and see how it shakes out,” Parsons told Golf Digest Thursday morning. “We’re not going to go knocking on doors. We’re going to see who knocks on our door.”

Parsons said he likely won’t be interested if Woods knocks on his door, but the other two names that Ashford mentioned and a couple he didn’t are a different story.

“There’s no doubt that Tiger has been an icon in the game, that no one has done as much for golf as anyone in history and he’s highly respected for that,” Parsons said. “But I don’t know that his game is what it once was.

“Rory’s somebody to get excited about. And I think there are two other guys that have a lot of potential and that’s Brooks Koepka and Tony Finau. Both of those are guys we had conversations with before they signed with Nike when Nike wrote them a big check. We’d probably want to chat with Michelle Wie, too.”

:drat:

For more content, he said that all PXG players (except for ZJ) must sign a head-to-toe deal with PXG. Since Nike's staying in apparel, I can't see the GOAT giving up that hat space, much less his bomb-rear end clothing line. Tiger's gonna rock his TW logo on the front for the remainder of his career, regardless of his sponsor.

Rory, on the other hand...

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 4, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol if anyone gives Michelle Wie money in 2016.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol if anyone gives Michelle Wie money in 2016.

She's struggled a bit but she's hot

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

She's struggled a bit but she's hot
Speaking of which, it confuses me why people fanboy Lexi Thompson.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a thing for Stacy Lewis, explain that.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I would have a turgid intimidation boner if I ever shared a tee box with her.

Just all purple and veiny.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://www.cabotlinks.com/

Holy poo poo I want to go play there next summer. The drive to Nova Scotia is supposed to be really nice, plus I can hit up courses in Quebec along the way. Jesus those rates to play though. But its so pretty.

:shepspends:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Holy poo poo I want to go play there next summer. The drive to Nova Scotia is supposed to be really nice, plus I can hit up courses in Quebec along the way. Jesus those rates to play though. But its so pretty.

God drat this is absolutely beautiful :stare:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Furnaceface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0jOZo9TfJo

Have fuuuuuuuuun!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahaha this is extremely my poo poo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

ahahaha this is extremely my poo poo

Im glad Im not the only one that thought that. :hfive:

Its 2 courses, both along the Cape Breton coast. If youve never seen east coast Canada its seriously worth it. There are a lot of courses out there that are worth it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Im glad Im not the only one that thought that. :hfive:

Its 2 courses, both along the Cape Breton coast. If youve never seen east coast Canada its seriously worth it. There are a lot of courses out there that are worth it.

I always thought Cabot was west coast for some reason, like a Canadian Bandon. I may have to check that out as it's much more feasible since I'm in New Jersey.

I googled it, still a thousand miles but hey, Bandon is three thousand.

Giant Goober
Nov 6, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I'm currently planning a trip up to Canada for a week of golfing and drinking in September. The rates aren't bad compared to getting out there or some of the other courses in Canada. I think we worked out a round trip with flights would be close to $2k, otherwise the 20 hour drive from Montreal wasn't that appealing.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Had a lesson last night with a PGA pro. He used to play Aussie and Asian Tour a few years ago. Humbling experience reviewing footage and looking at how bad my swing plane is.

Dunno how I got down to 2 handicap, I'm really good at recovery shots and short game I guess. Good tee shots was me doing a lot of club head manipulation with wrists or hands, not good.

The whole point of doing this is to get consistency off the tee and even with the 1 hour lesson I was already starting the ball on the same path every time. There was a slice or fade but he told me that's the easy fix which well address later.

Really sore now, guess thats what happens when you fire the correct muscles haha...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Finally decided to go check out the Golf Town sales which are typically garbage but hey, end of season blowouts cant be that bad. Picked up another dozen e6 balls and a brand new Nike Method Core center shaft putter for $60 Canadian funbux. :toot:

Ive been struggling with the 2 putters I have (Odyssey 2-Ball and Ping iN, both heel shaft). Over the summer I have occasionally been playing with my dads Ping center shaft and it was making a huge difference so I think it was time to make the change.

Most of the Nike stuff wasnt discounted much despite the whole "Were done making clubs" thing. The Fly Pro drivers and fairway woods were 50% off though, and it was very tempting to get the 3W to complete the set. But after some mulling about I realized I hardly ever use a 3W these days so it would be a waste of money. Nike X3X wedges were on sale for $60 too but they were out of 58's and Im not sure if 60 is right for me at such a high handicap. Taylor Made Z Spin wedges were $50 but again no 58s. Other than those nothing else was below $140. :(

Honestly I need to sit down and figure out my bag anyway. Im thinking: Driver, 5W, 3H, 4H, 5-9I, PW, GW, SW, 58. So Ill be on the hunt for a 3H and 58 wedge. I was going to buy the Fly-Z 3/4 hybrid but they were out of stock, which sucks because I found out they will no longer make it. :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HOLY poo poo JIM FURYK 58 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Gotta give it up to gangly rear end Jim Furyk and his bizarre swing mechanics