Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I like using my greatshield :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The summoning gravestones thing is a pretty obnoxious mechanic imo but the rest of the crypt is cool

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Help, I am completely baffled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcQAPBRzVk

At 31:05, he gets 200 souls out of seemingly nowhere. I can't replicate this on PC or PS3. He has a soul in his inventory, but doesn't seem to use it.

WHAT.

Okay, best guess is that he got weirdly lucky and a basilisk in the 3rd tree managed to commit suicide.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 2, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah probably some enemy hit a weird piece of level geometry that made them fall into a pit. It happens, though usually not until after they've seen you at least once.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Fun story...

Just finished the serpent lady boss before Iron Keep, wasn't having too much trouble after burning the windmill but I noticed the summon so thought I'd give it a go.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

The Jester summon killed her in like 5 fireball attacks..I didn't realise being 75% hollow all the time would hide so many helpful NPC! So now I've opened up the Iron Keep and The Big Hole in Majula, I think Iron Keep looks 1000x cooler, so I'm going there first!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cloud the Cat posted:

The Jester summon killed her in like 5 fireball attacks..I didn't realise being 75% hollow all the time would hide so many helpful NPC!

Drop your small white soapstone sign whenever you're hollow, and summon people from small white soapstones when you see them. Spread the humanity around!

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
So is there any chance that someday someone will mod this to eliminate soul memory mechanics? Because drat is it lonely at SM 8 million or so and I just started new game plus.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fasdar posted:

So is there any chance that someday someone will mod this to eliminate soul memory mechanics? Because drat is it lonely at SM 8 million or so and I just started new game plus.

That seems really, really high for just starting NG+. You should still see plenty of activity at The Bridge regardless.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Drop your small white soapstone sign whenever you're hollow, and summon people from small white soapstones when you see them. Spread the humanity around!

Oh, is the white soapstone how I summon people to help me? I tried that but I thought that transported me to another persons game. Maybe that was the other item.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Putting your small sign down and having another player activate it transports you to another person's game, but if you survive long enough in their world you become human again.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 3, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

Oh, is the white soapstone how I summon people to help me? I tried that but I thought that transported me to another persons game. Maybe that was the other item.
White Soapstones can be used to allow others to summon you. The small one summons you for a short amount of time, so any relevant phantoms aren't so concerned about needing to go for the long haul.

You summoning others, on the other hand, is accomplished by you being fully human. If you're partly hollow, use a Human Effigy or get summoned via the small soapstone to fix that. And once you're in that new state, you'll see letters of light written on the ground which can be used to summon others. (White signs are generic helpful phantoms, gold signs are folks so dedicated to helping that they're in a relevant covenant, and red signs are people looking for one-on-one PvP duels.)

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Paracelsus posted:

That seems really, really high for just starting NG+. You should still see plenty of activity at The Bridge regardless.

I died a lot!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Uggghh I really enjoyed the Looking Glass Knight fight but when I got him the statues I ran past in the hallway came through the open door and killed me before I even knew what was happening. And then I didn't realize that was what happened, thought they were new spawns inside the arena, so on the bloodstain run I thought I needed to meticulously clear the hall before going back into the arena to fight what I thought were new enemies. Forgot one statue spawns behind the point where you activate them, they wipe me easy, lose all the souls from the boss. Not a huge deal and entirely my fault but frustrating. Those clams got me the same way after that icy boss in DS1.

Are there no Rings of Sacrifice in this one?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Not only are there such rings available in DS2 (called Ring of Life/Soul Protection), but when they break in this game you can repair them to their normal state. Doing so is expensive (3K/6K each in the original, or 14K for all in Scholar), but if you need to use one then it's likely a smaller loss than your bloodstain. Felkin sells the former, while the latter is somewhere in the Gutter.

There's also a place you can repair them for free, but that's in one of the (endgame difficulty) DLC areas.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Man, I can make it up to shrine of amana without dying, but that area always crushes me. Seems like it's just luck whether or not you get through unless you're cheesing it with a bow or something

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Using a bow isn't cheesing though??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bows are incredibly cheesey. However, in this game you have to fight fire with fire.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

multijoe posted:

Bows are incredibly cheesey. However, in this game you have to fight fire with fire.
I'm not really a fan of pyromancy in this game. Fight fire with strategic rolling and a huge loving hammer, I say.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

multijoe posted:

Nah, it isn't cheesing, areas really seem designed around a player employing a variety of tactics, including trying ranged battle. Also Amana ain't that bad even as a melee only character: use cover, lure enemies out, dodge around a lot. Once you know the lay of the land you can easily sprint through it and not have to deal with any bullshit you don't want to. I swear, of all the deaths I had in the shrine, most were due to carelessness in feeling out cliffs. I also died the least in Amana out of all the post drangleic castle areas so far.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Most of the Souls games have a point in the early to midgame where they posit "Hey, maybe you explore a ranged option". DeS has the sky mantas, in World 4, DS1 has Moonlight Butterfly, DS3 has that crowded room where Greirat's Cell Key is with the dogs and 3 soldiers. Gotta admit, I'm having trouble thinking of a parallel for DS2 here.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

armoredgorilla posted:

Most of the Souls games have a point in the early to midgame where they posit "Hey, maybe you explore a ranged option". DeS has the sky mantas, in World 4, DS1 has Moonlight Butterfly, DS3 has that crowded room where Greirat's Cell Key is with the dogs and 3 soldiers. Gotta admit, I'm having trouble thinking of a parallel for DS2 here.

Huntsman's Copse, maybe, with the poison butterflies? Also the Lost Bastille has a few great places for fire arrows or fire ranged attacks to easily clear rooms, so maybe that. Also ranged options are pretty good for dealing with the exploding mummies I found.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also the snipers in fisherman's wharf are dying to get counter-sniped. Literally.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yup. Also everywhere else counter-sniping is super satisfying, and bows are always useful for pulling enemies. Basically, ever since I tried a bow I realized that I had been playing the game wrong the entire time, and that was why I had initially given up on it a long time ago as a pure strength greatsword build. Game rewards you for switching out your weapons, tactics, everything every once in a while, and you just naturally end up keeping your style fresh.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Killing enemies at long range is "cheesing", which is why the developers put multiple different weapons in the game that bring up a crosshair, zoom in, and fire long range projectiles

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Didn't someone from From come out and say, essentially, that they didn't believe in cheesing and a win is a win? It's a tough game, do what it takes to kill the boss.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes and that someone was the director no less.

He suggested killing the anor londo archers in dark souls 1 with poison arrows and just waiting around for awhile.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Summoning friends to help kill a boss is obviously cheesing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That feels when you kill False King from outside his boss arena with poison arrows. Pure Gaming Bliss.

Boogalo posted:

Summoning friends to help kill a boss is obviously cheesing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

multijoe posted:

That feels when you kill False King from outside his boss arena with poison arrows. Pure Gaming Bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c

You can cheese Manus in DS1 with a crossbow and sniper bolts to a point you can just go in and hit him twice to get the kill. It's incredibly boring and takes ages to get the perfect aim from the ledge but hey, I find amusing people claiming that everything that isn't shieldless, no bows or summons is cheesing. As amusing as those that use the term "savescumming".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guillermus posted:

As amusing as those that use the term "savescumming".

I mean that is kind of a thing though, depending on the game. Like people that'd play X-COM (Old or new) and save on practically every shot and reload if it wasn't a hit. :psyduck:

Unless you mean that phrase used in context of Souls, in which case what would that even mean in these games?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fasdar posted:

The vast majority who screw with soul memory the tiniest iota get banned.

Blow up the map of someone you invaded, NPCs included, with an invisible deathsplosion? A-OK, says From Software.

Edit SM? You'd think you personally killed From's collective mothers.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah I never felt that DS2 was a "slog", likely cuz I had an arsenal of different options and weapons for my build and adjusted as needed. The game has an endless inventory and multiple weapon/equipment slots, as well as generous pools of upgrade materials, you're definitely meant to have more than one weapon type on you (for a first run at least).

Gah I kinda wanna replay this one now. The slower combat has its charm imo, and works better within the medievial knights weielding large weapons context. From being convinced that the best way to improve the franchise is to SPEED poo poo UP AND DODGE SPAM has hurt DS more than it has helped.

It made a whole lotta sense in Bloodborne, I'll give them that. Dat sidehop tho

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 10, 2016

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Tallgeese posted:

The vast majority who screw with soul memory the tiniest iota get banned.

Blow up the map of someone you invaded, NPCs included, with an invisible deathsplosion? A-OK, says From Software.

Edit SM? You'd think you personally killed From's collective mothers.

Speaking of which, has anyone else ever encountered hosts who summon you only to hit you with some hacked sword that breaks all of your equipment? Because man was I confused when it happened to me.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I've not had that happen, but that's pretty tame compared to what you can get up to in DS1 or DS3 with hacking. I imagine that what you're talking about is possible in DS2 by creating a weapon with loads of durability damage (after swiping the property from Corrosive Urns), being summoned as a red phantom to someone else's world, then dressing up like them with the Ring of the Living. There's a video somewhere involving folks trolling with a similar technique, though they did everything legitimately instead of hacking in weapons with Silly Numbers.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Can anyone recommend me a decent weapon? I'm SL 98 and so far I've used basically a bastard sword the entire game which is now at +8. But I'm finding in close corridors I am hitting the wall more often than not and would prefer to try something else, I have all my boss souls still. Anything you can recommend that is both cool and similar in play style?

Also I'm not really sure where to go next, I just beat the Smelter Demon..I guess I keep going through the Iron Keep...I have 3/4 Primal bonfires (Rotten, Freja & Sinner).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can try ultra greatswords, the r1 is usually a vertical attack instead of horizontal. I'm particularly fond of the lost sinner's sword despite its weird bullshit AR. But the game is mostly wide open enough that it doesn't matter. I can think of one place in Iron Keep, one or two in Shulva, and basically nowhere else where you're forced to fight in such tight quarters that horizontal attacks are hard to pull off.

You have to keep going through Iron Keep also, that's the last great soul you need to unlock the way to the castle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The greataxe :clint:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Get a claymore or zwei instead of the really large swords if you want something that's a bit quicker. I would recommend trying out the estoc as well, it's a great weapon.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I switched from swords to great hammers a while ago, and haven't looked back. The overhead smash is extremely satisfying when it pancakes an enemy in the middle of its attack animation.

Great club got me pretty far, and I'm finishing up the game with the dragon tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A good choice. Great Club is an excellent weapon and the Dragon Tooth is I think the exact same moveset and reach with bigger numbers. The great hammer class is without exception very good.