Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

It's on iOS, Android and a Brazilian edutainment system called Zeebo???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAwupPdY0k

Para onde todos estão? Bingo?

I once had a lovely summer job where the project leaders couldn't get their heads out of their asses so my coworker and I just spent 35 hours a week sitting in a lovely rural Newfoundland library playing games on Newgrounds or surfing forums or whatever. Every now and then we'd find a short book to read in an afternoon. This is one of the ones I happened to find. I tried to do a lovely "Let's read/play Zelda" thing on this lovely forum I used to post on with reader participation, but the "choose your own adventure" aspect of the book is sorely lacking so it just kind of got boring.

FirstAidKite posted:

To be fair, I think the most writing early mario games had were some letters from peach and

Bowser too!

Edit:

:lol: at the walleyes in the lower left panel

Zaphod42 posted:

Fabled Lands

Jesus the logistics involved in doing this kind of thing must be insane.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

So I said I’d do this last month, and now I’m gonna do it this month!

Edutainment mega-effort-kind-of-post-thing

awesome. when i was young the imaginary game of choice was, for some reason, Munchers. I was Mega Muncher and I was cool and played guitar. my buddy was Super Muncher and he was the leader. lots of other kids were different things, like Tree Muncher, Glue Muncher, etc etc. We got really into it. it had a whole storyline and poo poo. This consumed recesses for two years and playdates for multiple years to come. I was a weird kid.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Bowser too!

Edit:

:lol: at the walleyes in the lower left panel

Haha good ol' bowser

Also, yeah, I'm guessing the people working on it liked samus since from the panels I've seen, she seems to be the most consistently drawn of them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

video game comics you say

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Whenever Nintendo would do those "red version, blue version" games, I would always get/want the blue one. Oracle of Ages, Pokemon Blue... even the dark blue transparent N64 controller when they released those colored ones a la iMac.

Anyone else? I actually missed that inter-game version stuff and wish that the trend had stuck over the years.

Fire Emblem Fates

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

[Borat voice] King of the Koopa King of the Koopa

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus the logistics involved in doing this kind of thing must be insane.

Yeah its seriously mind boggling. Even relatively "simple" CYOA games that are entirely linear, just with branching paths, are still a ton of work:

That's Lone Wolf mapped out for all its choice branches. And that's purely linear! All the branches head downwards and they all meet up at the very bottom, the ending. I think the red squares are dead-end "you died" choices.

Something like Fabled Lands must have taken immense work to plan out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just ifnished act 5(? the one with General Brigan or whatever as the boss) in Gwendolyn's story in Leifthrasir and now i'm sad :(

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Looks like some Enter the Gungeon concept art.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Looks like The Game Master Captain N bulked up and got all hardcore. He was originally a lanky kid in a letter jacket, right? What happened?

Did they pull a Reboot Enzo and make him all "badass" for awhile?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
whats with the steampunk dildoes

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like The Game Master Captain N bulked up and got all hardcore. He was originally a lanky kid in a letter jacket, right? What happened?

Did they pull a Reboot Enzo and make him all "badass" for awhile?

The rest of the comic pages that were posted implied that Captain N was trapped on a prison planet for 15 years, before making out with Samus and then time-traveling back to his teens.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

FirstAidKite posted:

There were also those weird captain n comics that had samus in them as this extremely forward lady who was so forward in her advances that she made captain n uncomfortable

I love all of this, not sure if it's ironically or unironically though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Grimace posted:

I love all of this, not sure if it's ironically or unironically though.

There is no longer any distinction

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Got a GTX 1070 today, it's blowing my mind how much of an improvement it is over my 960 and I've only tested out 2 games with it so far.

edit: The only downside is that my case is now a bit cramped because the 1070 is a fuckhuge card, so the whole operation runs just a bit hotter. Still, that's not bothering me any.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 4, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Got a GTX 1070 today, it's blowing my mind how much of an improvement it is over my 960 and I've only tested out 2 games with it so far.

:hf: buddy. It's a great card. Except I was upgrading from a 750 and it was pretty much an entire rebuild, and way earlier than I'd hoped.

Never buy premade computers if you can avoid it...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's like if Cronenberg directed a gender swapped Trailer Park Boys episode

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Are there any CYOAs about controlling giant robots.
I read the Choice of Games one but the choice of games books are all weak and I am not a fan of em.

Zaphod can you link your thread, this is always something I wanted to get more into but its kinda hard to actually find quality resources on for some reason.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

oddium posted:

that's why no one bought the wii u

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Judge Dredd doing his damnedest to stop Brownback.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PBS Newshour posted:

1. If you want to get in the loving robot, turn to page 29
2. If you want to whine about how you can't get in the loving robot, continue to the next page.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Phantasium posted:

Judge Dredd doing his damnedest to stop Brownback.

lmao

Mak0rz posted:

1. If you want to get in the loving robot, turn to page 29
2. If you want to whine about how you can't get in the loving robot, continue to the next page.

Wow, I thought punching that guy in the face and yelling "Kamille is a man's name" was going to be an ending path, not the main route.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

I read the Choice of Games one but the choice of games books are all weak and I am not a fan of em.

Zaphod can you link your thread, this is always something I wanted to get more into but its kinda hard to actually find quality resources on for some reason.

Here it is, but its locked because nobody posted :smith:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697516

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

oddium posted:

"Your descendants will be compensated for the door" is pretty bad rear end.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

looks like it came back for moooooooooore

yeah eah eah

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, this is accurate. An Everquest expansion came out at the end of last year and afaik that game peaked around half a million subs. WoW's peak was twelve million.

I'm 30 and afraid WoW might outlive me.

Everquest Next will probably still be in development when WoW finally shuts down.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Guy Mann posted:

Everquest Next will probably still be in development when WoW finally shuts down.

The Wowkiller was here all along

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Everquest Next is stuck in such terrible development hell its effectively cancelled.

WoW is bleeding subs but it'll live forever until Blizzard makes a new MMO and decides to move everybody over rather than compete with themselves. Basically WoW 2, which so far they've avoided doing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I am having fun playing Stardew Valley, but I think the way you talk to people/build relationships with the other villagers is kinda crap. You have to give them gifts all the time to unlock little dialogue scenes when you're in the right place at the right time and I think it's done that way because that's how it is in Harvest Moon (I never played Harvest Moon). But it's kinda dumb, like, I've been living in this village for almost a year and I can't just ask the dude who lives in a tent why he lives in a tent? I don't know anything about these people, so it's hard to feel much of a drive to track them down and ply them with artisanal farm goods just to unlock some conversations and discover what anyone's deal is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

There were also those weird captain n comics that had samus in them as this extremely forward lady who was so forward in her advances that she made captain n uncomfortable

samus what is happening to your anatomy in panel 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

7 foot tall Samus best Samus

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Totally canon

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Not anymore, Sakamoto can't have a waifu that's bigger than him and can kick his rear end.

:smith:

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 5, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Totally canon

The American Nintendo Power illustrations were never canon. Most of the Japanese ones weren't either, which is a shame because Floyd was a solid bro and would have been great in Super Mario World. And Star Fox would have been way better if it was as trippy and cosmic as the comics were.

Accordion Man posted:

Not anymore, Sakamoto can't have a waifu that's bigger than him and can kick his rear end.

:smith:

Aside from switching from being a ditz to being mopey Samus being a blonde waif has almost always been a thing in the original Japanese media like their tie-in comics, Other M was just the first Japanese-developed game that actually had the technology and resources to portray it outside of cheesecake still images for beating the game quickly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

Aside from switching from being a ditz to being mopey Samus being a blonde waif has almost always been a thing in the original Japanese media like their tie-in comics, Other M was just the first Japanese-developed game that actually had the technology and resources to portray it outside of cheesecake still images for beating the game quickly.
She was tall in the old games and she looked rather built in Super. Like even in Fusion and Zero Mission where they started giving her a more stock anime design she still didn't look like five foot nothing.

Also there was that one prequel manga where she freaked about over Ridley but it was her first time meeting him since she saw him eats her parents in front of her and she got over it for good and reduced him to paste in the end.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 5, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Other M was bad. You know how you have those best game idea fantasties of "oh man what if such and such company was behind this game it would be awesome?"

Other M was almost that, and then it dropped the ball. I mean goddamn Team Ninja made Samus such a bad rear end (even though there were some mechanics I didn't like)

and then the Story decided, no Adam is the best. Guys why aren't you liking Adam? Please like Adam as he takes away what would've been a badass level.

gently caress Other M.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/761326775603388416

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Shindragon posted:

Other M was bad. You know how you have those best game idea fantasties of "oh man what if such and such company was behind this game it would be awesome?"

Other M was almost that, and then it dropped the ball. I mean goddamn Team Ninja made Samus such a bad rear end (even though there were some mechanics I didn't like)

and then the Story decided, no Adam is the best. Guys why aren't you liking Adam? Please like Adam as he takes away what would've been a badass level.

gently caress Other M.

I think Team Ninja even doubled down and said that all of the plot stuff was solely by Sakamoto and they just went along with it.

I really want a new good Metroid, guys. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

Bullshit. There's plenty of Japanese media where Samus is a tank and has an actual cool personality. Sakamoto was the only person who was wrong about Samus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Grimace posted:

I really want a new good Metroid, guys. :smith:

guess what comes out next month

• Locked thread