Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

YeOldeButchere posted:

mnist is like the hello world of nn these days. i'm pretty sure this is what the tensorflow tutorial does, for example, but it's been a while since i've looked at that

it definitely is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the book is http://neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com and the math is okay i guess but the code is generally complete crap. if you're super into wholly unstructured shitass python then you'll love the accompanying code

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hackbunny posted:

no that's not a problem, this is always a raw pointer and this->butt_ (underscore in front is resevred, ugh) never calls any user defined code

:eng101: Underscore followed by either another underscore or a capital letter is reserved for the language implementation (which is why new stuff in C99 and C11 always gets a name of that form, e.g. _Bool, _Generic, _Atomic etc)

a single leading underscore followed by a lowercase letter or number is not reserved, it's just commonly understood shorthand for "hey this is slightly magic so heads up"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
incidentally hands up everybody here who has once upon a time hosed up in C by typing "typedef enum { true, false } bool;" and then wondering with a sense of creeping dread why random poo poo keeps breaking in the strangest of ways

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
never did because i don't really do c, but i can see myself doing that, so hands up with the utmost dread!

i love learning of new and horrifying ways in which codebases can break! OH WAIT I ALREADY DID JUST NOW WITH THE UNDERSCORE FOLLOWED BY (UNDERSCORE OR CAPITAL LETTER) THING!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

incidentally hands up everybody here who has once upon a time hosed up in C by typing "typedef enum { true, false } bool;" and then wondering with a sense of creeping dread why random poo poo keeps breaking in the strangest of ways

Why not just #include <stdbool.h>?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
This was intended to compile in msvc or something. Idk it was a long rear end time ago

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

This was intended to compile in msvc or something. Idk it was a long rear end time ago

Fair enough, I was honestly asking in case there was something I didn't know about stdbool.h. Also that's hilarious.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

include windows.h and true/false are part of your namespace pollution

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I prefer c++11 (or greater) to c

In case u were wondering

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

In case u were wondering

updates yospos.gnm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c is good

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Luigi Thirty posted:

i had no idea people used D for anything

maybe not yours

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

uncurable mlady posted:

maybe not yours

n-nooooooo :negative:

in other news, yessssssssssssss

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

In case u were wondering

extreme same

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

n-nooooooo :negative:

in other news, yessssssssssssss

why do the edges of the triangle have such different jaggies on the final frame?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

YeOldeButchere posted:

why do the edges of the triangle have such different jaggies on the final frame?

i screwed up making the animation :ssh:

i have a key that rotates the object by 5 degrees and i held it down while gooncam was running and had to adjust the ending to make it work lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hobbesmaster posted:

if a background check came back confirming a master's but not confirming the bachelor's HR would probably blame the background check company

nice

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
can you get a masters without a bachelors? because I really want to go to grad school but I don't want to do an entire undergraduate degree

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Condiv posted:

i'm kinda worried about this too. i dropped out of my final year of my cs program to get a job in france, and though i have a masters degree now i never actually got a bachelors

Your masters program didn't require a bachelors?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

can you get a masters without a bachelors? because I really want to go to grad school but I don't want to do an entire undergraduate degree

i have never heard of this happening ever, at least in the united states. it doesn't really make much sense either, a master's degree is basically just more of what you did in undergrad but at a more advanced level. you're not necessarily doing research unless you're seeking a phd. so it would be like trying to take calc 3 without ever taking calc 1, you won't get much out of it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MartinShkreli/status/761364599849582594

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

the book is http://neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com and the math is okay i guess but the code is generally complete crap. if you're super into wholly unstructured shitass python then you'll love the accompanying code

sounds like it needs a rewrite in common lisp

could probably be good for performance too, since modern lisp compilers can match fortran now on numeric optimization

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

This is probably going to be fairly strong evidence that I belong in this thread, but I came up with a use for operator.() the other day that wasn't a smart reference or whatever. I was thinking it would be neat to make a Cached<T> template that would overload operator.() to access a cache of values for that function. So like you could do this:

C++ code:

Cached<Foo> foo; //this would call Foo's default constructor
std::cout << foo.bar(3) << std::endl; // this would calculate bar(3) for the Foo stored in foo and store the result in a cache
std::cout << foo.bar(3) << std::endl; // this would just use the cached result from above

Anyways that's probably an awful idea and I'm not totally sure how it would work but I'm pretty sure it'd be possible and that's my story.

you could actually do that in Common Lisp and Dylan right in the language

the way it works is that the language lets you add specialized methods to generic functions on the fly, and method specialization isn't just on the types of the arguments, it can actually be on specific argument values

the standard demo for it is an auto-memoizing factorial or Fibonacci, of course

so the first time you call (factorial 5) it does the work, the next time you call it there's a specialization on (eq 5) and it returns almost immediately

and the implementation is even allowed to do things like use a binary tree or hash table or whatever to disambiguate the specialization, as long as it wouldn't affect the result

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

depends entirely on the school, department, and program

I was hella jealous of a friend at CMU, she had already taught robotics at the college level without a degree, so when she got into the Robotics Institute for a Master's they said she needed a Bachelor's and convinced the CMU School of Computer Science to give her one in two years or so with a minimum of electives

still made her get a Bachelor's too but she could at least jump straight into the interesting courses and didn't have poo poo like an 8:30 AM composition class competing for her attention

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i have never heard of this happening ever, at least in the united states. it doesn't really make much sense either, a master's degree is basically just more of what you did in undergrad but at a more advanced level. you're not necessarily doing research unless you're seeking a phd. so it would be like trying to take calc 3 without ever taking calc 1, you won't get much out of it

that depends greatly on the institution

some have a program that is entirely coursework

others have a program that is almost or entirely research, just not quite PhD level (maybe more implementation focused than theoretically focused)

and MBAs just jerk it over case studies and "network" for a couple years rather than learn or do anything

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

sounds like it needs a rewrite in common lisp

could probably be good for performance too, since modern lisp compilers can match fortran now on numeric optimization

eschaton posted:

you could actually do that in Common Lisp and Dylan right in the language

the way it works is that the language lets you add specialized methods to generic functions on the fly, and method specialization isn't just on the types of the arguments, it can actually be on specific argument values

the standard demo for it is an auto-memoizing factorial or Fibonacci, of course

so the first time you call (factorial 5) it does the work, the next time you call it there's a specialization on (eq 5) and it returns almost immediately

and the implementation is even allowed to do things like use a binary tree or hash table or whatever to disambiguate the specialization, as long as it wouldn't affect the result

:eyepop: welp looks like it's time for me to learn some lisp; this sounds awesome. Which lisp compilers can compete with Fortran stuff?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Holy poo poo you guys in Haskell -> is a type constructor. (->) a b is the same thing as a -> b. How did I never figure this out before now?

My mind is blown.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Mr Dog posted:

i don't really do c. what does this break/how does it break things?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

redleader posted:

i don't really do c. what does this break/how does it break things?

it makes true zero and false non-zero

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It also highlights one of the dumbest parts of C. Who in their right mind thinks enums should pollute global namespace?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
C didn't actually have a built-in boolean type until the first big language revision in 1999. Even then you had to specifically ask for that type to be defined, also Microsoft until very recently was a total rear end in a top hat with regards to C, their policy being "C is an obsolete language, if you want any language features that weren't in the 1989 standard then compile your code as C++ instead"

motherfucker your face is an obsolete language

i think they finally with great reluctance provided <stdint.h> in one of the newer versions of msvc.

also i didn't know that stdbool.h was a thing until a few years ago

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bloody posted:

this is not accurate

Project1

It's Time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

our networking professor taught protocol by passing out sheets of paper to each student that said (a) you are number N, (b) you have messages A, B, C, and (c) you must deliver these messages to X, Y, Z. then after everyone read their sheet, he said "go!"

that owns

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

in other news, I finally got so sick of this loving top result in IntelliSense:

that I tracked down the one weirde setting to get rid of it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
lol DevExpress

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i mean, really? I totally recognize that there are a bunch of gaps in my education, but I have a pretty decent idea of what those gaps are and I feel pretty confident that I could fill them in. Especially when you consider that lots of programmers go back for grad school and most of them have probably forgotten their schooling by that point anyhow. also grad school in general deals with people with wildly varying educations, and 'oh, my undergrad didn't cover this concept, I'll need to spend some time catching up' is totally normal.

i mean, this is a selfish want and there's no reason I should get to skip undergrad. it's just that I don't want to quit my 6 figgy job as a computer programmer to go and learn the fundamentals of how to be a computer programmer. especially not for the 4 years it would take (or 10 years if I try to do it while working).

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i mean, really? I totally recognize that there are a bunch of gaps in my education, but I have a pretty decent idea of what those gaps are and I feel pretty confident that I could fill them in. Especially when you consider that lots of programmers go back for grad school and most of them have probably forgotten their schooling by that point anyhow. also grad school in general deals with people with wildly varying educations, and 'oh, my undergrad didn't cover this concept, I'll need to spend some time catching up' is totally normal.

i mean, this is a selfish want and there's no reason I should get to skip undergrad. it's just that I don't want to quit my 6 figgy job as a computer programmer to go and learn the fundamentals of how to be a computer programmer. especially not for the 4 years it would take (or 10 years if I try to do it while working).

school is awful and like 90% bullshit 5% exposure to good things 5% actually learning good things

most people I've worked with that stayed past a BS are slightly retarded as if they'd stayed in the womb a little too long -- industry is a far better place to learn practical things

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

so loving future posted:

most people I've worked with that stayed past a BS are slightly retarded as if they'd stayed in the womb a little too long -- industry is a far better place to learn practical things

the issue is that i'm not interested in learning practical things. i've got that covered.

• Locked thread