Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

That's why my home network consists of my ISP-supplied modem and an AirPort Extreme.

Wait until you have four computers, one of which belongs to your significant other who loves clicking on flashing banners and then either paying Best Buy or being the tech bitch. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Arsten posted:

Wait until you have four computers, one of which belongs to your significant other who loves clicking on flashing banners and then either paying Best Buy or being the tech bitch. :v:

Wait until they come up with a browser extension available for all major browsers that eliminates those. :v:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

DigitalMocking posted:

If you can't fire your employee, then he's not your employee and you're not his manager.

I'm not a manager. I'm the director for a department in education. Any release of employment has to go through the proper channels and be agreed upon by the executive director.

Also, to follow up on this story, I broached the topic with the executive director, who immediately called the employee in question into his office and basically reminded him that they have had this same conversation three times in the year he has been employed. The general gist was the the employee wasn't trustworthy and seems to be following in the footsteps of my predecessor, which is unacceptable. He told him that they would not be having this conversation again, and that the next time his attitude and lack of work ethic raised the ire of literally anyone on the staff and the director caught wind of it, there would just be me holding a Release of Employment form for him to sign.

After the meeting, the employee came to me trying to joke about it, which is where I informed him that when I went in that office, the first words out of my mouth were, "We need to talk about $employee. He's not working out and I'd like to recommend terminating his employment." I told him that I do not, in any way, have any more patience for him and that he had better start taking this job seriously really loving quick or he wouldn't be here by this time next week. He has alienated nearly every employee at this school by being a smarmy jackass, an there isn't a single person here rooting for his continued employment, and that the ONLY reason he wasn't fired at that meeting was because he has a newborn baby at home and we took that into account.

It was the harshest series of words I've ever uttered to someone, or it felt like it. We'll see how long this lasts though. I've already got the form filled out and ready to go.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

It was the harshest series of words I've ever uttered to someone, or it felt like it. We'll see how long this lasts though. I've already got the form filled out and ready to go.

What was his reaction / how did he take it if you don't mind me asking?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have probably fired more people than all of you put together so it's one nice thing about not having had staff for quite some time. At least I have the drill down pat. Set expectations, positive recognition, constructive feedback, corrective action and OUT THE DOOR.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Brut posted:

Wait until they come up with a browser extension available for all major browsers that eliminates those. :v:

And how, per se, would you enforce those browser extensions to be on no matter which computer was in use. If only there was a centralized policy provider.

Oh, well. Rocket scientists are busy building the next Furby, I guess.

I still shudder at "I turned that thingie off because it wouldn't let me go to a link my FB buddy sent me!"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A user just called to ask how to hotbox their phone.

they wanted to hotdesk

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sirotan posted:

A user just called to ask how to hotbox their phone.

they wanted to hotdesk

Next up is a dogging station for their laptop.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Back when laptops-instead-of-desktops trend hit my particular corner of the world, I over heard an EA demand that she get a "doggy style adapter" from a help desk guy. :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Had a user once open with "I pulled a boner" then explain something stupid they did with a computer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pixaal posted:

Had a user once open with "I pulled a boner" then explain something stupid they did with a computer.

That's what pulling a boner means?

quote:

bon·er
ˈbōnər
noun
NORTH AMERICANinformal
a stupid mistake.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

flosofl posted:

That's what pulling a boner means?

Very poor word choice, since that's also a hand job.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Had a meeting with my offshore managers to be told all my L2 resources are being transitioned away and all the L1 garbage-tier resources will replace them, only to themselves be replaced with complete freshers.

This is during the introduction of completely new process scheduling software which no one has taken the time to learn that hits production within weeks. Myself and my coworker will have to train both teams in a needlessly complex tool which will take probably the better part of a year to get them up to snuff.

Management plans to repeat this process every 18 months. :suicide:

My coworker and I are just going to end up tanking the work of 20+ mewling idiots and, frankly, it would be easier than having them do it themselves and come to us every 3-5 minutes with "doubts."

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PierreTheMime posted:

Had a meeting with my offshore managers to be told all my L2 resources are being transitioned away and all the L1 garbage-tier resources will replace them, only to themselves be replaced with complete freshers.

This is during the introduction of completely new process scheduling software which no one has taken the time to learn that hits production within weeks. Myself and my coworker will have to train both teams in a needlessly complex tool which will take probably the better part of a year to get them up to snuff.

Management plans to repeat this process every 18 months. :suicide:

My coworker and I are just going to end up tanking the work of 20+ mewling idiots and, frankly, it would be easier than having them do it themselves and come to us every 3-5 minutes with "doubts."

run away before you actually do :suicide:

I don't actually know everything involved so grain of salt what I say and all that, but this sounds like complete and utter poo poo sorry friend :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

run away before you actually do :suicide:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Oh boy, is it CA's ESP or BMC's Control-M by any chance?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Aunt Beth posted:

gently caress CA's software. All of it. It is terrible.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Surely you need a dabbing station for your laptop if you're trying to hotbox your phone to it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Aunt Beth posted:

Nah, Automic ONE Automation. The plus-side to this shitshow is that it has a Java API that no one else was brave (and/or stupid) enough to look into. I jumped in and started some courses to better support the project only to find that I was alone and was the default SME in a team with no coding experience. I'm now the proud owner of a ton of coding projects that will get used as semi-permanent support tools and if this current position suffers spontaneous massive existence failure I should be able to spin the experience off to another department.

SilverLinings.jar

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

PierreTheMime posted:

SilverLinings.jar

I can't open this... it says I need to update my RTE.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aunt Beth posted:

The only BMC software I've worked with is their performance monitor portal and I've ended up writing my own scripts to make up with how weak some parts of the interface is for certain things.

We're working on replacing it. Yay.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

MiniFoo posted:

I can't open this... it says I need to update my RTE.

Fun fact: the guy heading the tool migration knew I was making code for him but refused to move to upgrade any test server's JRE for me to work on (they were still mostly on 1.3-1.4 :wtc:). After weeks of constant reminders he rushes up to me and states he needs to show the MD two of my applications *RIGHT NOW* and when I reminded him that no provided server had the right software he shot an email off to an SA and then promptly went on vacation for a week.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I just had a spooky ticket escalated for a suspected virus for a user who updated their display driver. Turns out they had a ghost monitor that windows decided to use as their primary display, so they never actually got a login screen and had to type their password into a void of nothingness, and then the only program that would show was outlook (because it was already configured to open on a secondary monitor) :spooky:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Grizlor posted:

I just had a spooky ticket escalated for a suspected virus for a user who updated their display driver. Turns out they had a ghost monitor that windows decided to use as their primary display, so they never actually got a login screen and had to type their password into a void of nothingness, and then the only program that would show was outlook (because it was already configured to open on a secondary monitor) :spooky:

I've had this problem a few times before with docking/undocking laptops, sometimes it's as simple as pressing Win + P a few times, others it's a much larger pain in the rear end.

Arsten posted:

And how, per se, would you enforce those browser extensions to be on no matter which computer was in use. If only there was a centralized policy provider.

Oh, well. Rocket scientists are busy building the next Furby, I guess.

I still shudder at "I turned that thingie off because it wouldn't let me go to a link my FB buddy sent me!"

You could run a proxy server with zentyal, pfsense, or untangle to block ads. Probably easier than constantly dealing with viruses.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

PBS posted:

I've had this problem a few times before with docking/undocking laptops, sometimes it's as simple as pressing Win + P a few times, others it's a much larger pain in the rear end.

You could run a proxy server with zentyal, pfsense, or untangle to block ads. Probably easier than constantly dealing with viruses.

My preference is that if I'm going to run a server, I'll just run a windows AD and block it that way. It gives me other tangible perks, like offspring system control without having to log in locally.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Has anyone ever had certutil kickback the error "The object identifier does not represent a valid object" when importing a .pfx? If I just right click the .pfx and import it it works without issue. Which would be fine except I need to inject the cert during OS install and certutil is my only option since the client is windows 7. At this point my google-fu is utterly failing me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Nah, Automic ONE Automation. The plus-side to this shitshow is that it has a Java API that no one else was brave (and/or stupid) enough to look into. I jumped in and started some courses to better support the project only to find that I was alone and was the default SME in a team with no coding experience. I'm now the proud owner of a ton of coding projects that will get used as semi-permanent support tools and if this current position suffers spontaneous massive existence failure I should be able to spin the experience off to another department.

SilverLinings.jar

But if you line the jar with silver, you can't see the pony. Oh, wait, you can't see the pony anymore anyway :doh:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
A migration draws in:

We're moving off Salesforce, service delivery will be using a bespoke build and sales/marketing will be using Hubspot, AND we're moving VOIP providers as well all at the same time.

The girl who manages marketing campaigns AND admin-ing Hubspot is quitting next week after been fed up with being overburdened with responsibilities, of course management slowdown means we are nowhere near ready to implement what they want; Lead / Deal control ridiculously locked down to the point where nobody can ever see each other's information at all (feasible with CRMs, assuming you pick the right tool for the job)

It's kinda fun to say to them there are limits to what digital systems can do and you should instead think of actually utilizing your team leaders and managers, you can't automate absolutely everything christ!

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 4, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Super Slash posted:

you can't automate absolutely everything christ!

They'll try their damnedest bless their hearts :swoon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The HR assistant who was left behind when the VP got canned is very good at not saying "Yes, Dick Trauma I recognize that the people running this place are stupid fuckhead idiots."

But I almost got her to say it yesterday.

We have a web-based payroll system that also handles vacation/sick requests. It has a built in calendar so bosses can see all the requests at once. We also have a legacy Exchange PTO calendar that she manages where all time off requests are entered. Wait, are you going to say "THAT IS REDUNDANT!"

It gets worse. When she enters a time off request on the PTO calendar she has to also invite the CEO, my boss, etc. so that it can also appear on their own calendars. Because not only do they refuse to use the payroll system's handy calendar, they refuse to look at the PTO calendar the HR assistant maintains. On top of that they complain about the constant stream of PTO calendar email invites they have to accept to add the items to their own calendar.

The assistant wanted me to figure out how to suppress the emails that are sent when she invites people to the PTO calendar items and I said "At some point you have to accept that doing things in an inefficient manner creates inefficiencies" and she almost let her true feelings show. But I heard a crunching noise that I think was her biting her tongue.

It's dumb and so goddamn crazy to have her manually entering all the poo poo that already gets entered by staff into the payroll system and then dish it out to people who are too loving lazy to just look at the goddamn PTO calendar.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I've got crusty 1280x1024 monitors and a crusty keyboard/mouse combo, but I don't know how to bring this up. I did nudge at it several times but no one seems to think it's their business and I don't feel like talking to the bossman about it would make me look good.

This can't be good for ergonomics. A few hundred for getting the right equipment is nothing and it helps with productivity.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Longshot, but is there a ticketing system that:

1) Has GitHub-style labels on the issues
2) Can be controlled/managed using only HTML requests
3) It's free/can be self-hosted

I can also settle for a non-absolute garbage system, as long as we can hack away on it and it isn't PHP.

Thanks a lot.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'll tell you this much, once you make it you can retire if you want.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Wifi in the pastor's residence is slow. No documentation, access, whatever I'll drive out there and do it in person. Speed is non-existent, nobody knows where the WAP is physically located, nobody knows where the ethernet jacks are beyond the fact that there's 5 of them scattered around. An hour later of playing hotter-colder with signal strength I find this under a cardboard box in an office.

Lucky the building didn't burn down, that thing had to be like 150 F when I unplugged it.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

uPen posted:

Wifi in the pastor's residence is slow. No documentation, access, whatever I'll drive out there and do it in person. Speed is non-existent, nobody knows where the WAP is physically located, nobody knows where the ethernet jacks are beyond the fact that there's 5 of them scattered around. An hour later of playing hotter-colder with signal strength I find this under a cardboard box in an office.

Lucky the building didn't burn down, that thing had to be like 150 F when I unplugged it.

Man that is one hot lady

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been denied a week or so to clear my schedule out and figure out how our existing asset management system functions (stores all our customers' network information, credentials, serial numbers, database of what is connected to what etc. - pretty important) and how it is backed up, and how to restore it if necessary. The guy who set it up threw it on a lovely desktop PC running Ubuntu a few years ago and then left the company. Since March I've been told that I can't be spared for a week because it's more important that I can do billable work, and the system is getting replaced anyway.

Today I learn that the system is being replaced with one of those horrific all-in-one does everything for your MSP type software packages but there's no real equivalent offering to the asset management system we are using. So documentation will be shoved into a SharePoint document repository, we lose the relationships between objects that we can build in the current system, and the ability to run queries against the data it contains.

I loving hope that the system that is running things at the moment falls over and we suffer catastrophic data loss at this point - our infrastructure is collapsing around us but nobody seems bothered about it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sheep posted:

I'll tell you this much, once you make it you can retire if you want.

It's in the ballpark of where I expected. :v: Thanks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A ticket came in: our infrastructure is collapsing around us but nobody seems bothered about it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Last night like right after 5pm both of our storage processors on our EMC array fell over, which wasn't too catastrophic and everything was up a few hours later. We got EMC to investigate why this happened, and their analysis points to a slow memory leak which built up over the 3+ years of uptime, and they suggest that maybe we should consider updating the firmware once in a while perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

anthonypants posted:

Last night like right after 5pm both of our storage processors on our EMC array fell over, which wasn't too catastrophic and everything was up a few hours later. We got EMC to investigate why this happened, and their analysis points to a slow memory leak which built up over the 3+ years of uptime, and they suggest that maybe we should consider updating the firmware once in a while perhaps.

I saw a ticket from New Relic that said they messed up the libs on their agent sdk and to fix it use symlinks and they'll fix it eventually. That was over a year ago. This feels about that level of no fucks given.

• Locked thread