Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A few DC books may be scaled back to monthly, maybe to be announced at NYCC. GLs, Aquaman and Action are on the rumor list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the bad ones?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gotta be honest, even on the books I'm loving I'm already getting a little tired of twice monthly books. I think the only book I really love reading more often is Superman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I bet we'll still get the exact same amount of story per month from Action. That book seriously reads like a single issue of plot stretched to 2 or even 3.

Compared to Superman it's amazing how little has happened. (And how 'fake movie little kid' Superboy is written as in Action)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

A few DC books may be scaled back to monthly, maybe to be announced at NYCC. GLs, Aquaman and Action are on the rumor list.

i hope so. want to read more comics!

How was Harley and SS books today?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Is Superman 4 the first time we've seen Bibbo post New-52? Not that I'm complaining, but I don't think I've read a story with him in like a decade and it seems out of nowhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cael posted:

Is Superman 4 the first time we've seen Bibbo post New-52? Not that I'm complaining, but I don't think I've read a story with him in like a decade and it seems out of nowhere.

Hey, he's back?

I am not sure why I am so happy about that but I am.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

I haven't enjoyed either series at all in the last few years so uh, I didn't read them.

Cael posted:

I was more excited by his arm wrestling opponent.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Suicide Squad's art was really unpleasant to look at, to say the least.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Harley Quinn is not really a reboot despite going back to #1, so if you liked it before you'll probably still enjoy it. SS on the other hand was set up as a proper reboot so not a lot really happened except unveiling the new team composition.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 4, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Going back to monthly is for the best. A lot of the bi-monthly books read as very decompressed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love Batman's bi-monthly pace. We're blazing through the Gotham story and a new Batmobile is getting destroyed every two weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's no way they'll touch the ones that are selling out so much.

Side note: Holy loving hell we sold twice as many Batman #2's as we did #1's (not counting reprints). People are doubling down and buying both covers constantly.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I've always had massive issues with the monthly format and the hideous effect it can have on a book's momentum. They've clearly got some kinks to work out, but the biweekly format has made it far easier to invest in a lot of these books even if they aren't incredible.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman this week was a bit weak. The switch happened a bit too quickly and weirdly, and it's strange to see a villain only introduced on the last page of the previous issue have such an impact without any buildup.
SS was meh. The artwork was wonky and I felt sorry for Obama for some reason. Mostly a setup issue and even though Headshot, Harley and Boomerang appeared in all previous issues this issue makes it certain that they are core. I always preferred the idea of the Squad using whatever villains best suit a mission.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Yeesh Batman #4 is bad. I was looking forward to King's run, he's a much better writer on a technical level than Snyder, but it really feels like he has nothing at all to say with this character. I'm getting no feeling of who Batman is to King beyond that he's some ineffectual naif with the superpower of teleportation, trapped in yet another story about what if Gotham(!) was the main character.

It's also weird to see people highlighting the tacky All Star reference as something cool and not plainly distasteful.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't see how it's distasteful at all. It's drawing a parallel between Gotham and Superman by intentionally mirroring an iconic Superman moment. You can say it's distasteful by having it go wrong because it's Batman setting up a mini-event, but then I'd still disagree. All Star Superman is a good comic but it is not some sacred work that needs its honor and legacy defended.*

*and even if it was, one Batman comic is not going to destroy said legacy

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 4, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

It's drawing a parallel between Gotham and Superman by intentionally mirroring an iconic Superman moment.
Yeah, that part is obvious. The question is does it do what it attempts well and the answer is no. So really it just reminds you of a far better executed scene.

SuperGotham, a character we'll never see again after this arc, doesn't have the stuff to inspire a change of heart, nor is he competent enough to avoid a tragedy. Yawn.

If they wanted a good foil, G-man could have failed to save a passenger jet that was facing engine trouble. His overconfidence sheers the wing off, sending it tumbling into Gotham General or the Gotham Financial district. Gothamguy is hurled too far away to get there in time, so instead he hauls rear end once the situation is clear to him because he can't face the results.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 4, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Suicide Squad Rebirth was much better than the movie I just saw. Good job Mr. Williams.

Least I got a gross lollipop out of it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, that part is obvious. The question is does it do what it attempts well and the answer is no. So really it just reminds you of a far better executed scene.

SuperGotham, a character we'll never see again after this arc, doesn't have the stuff to inspire a change of heart, nor is he competent enough to avoid a tragedy. Yawn.

If they wanted a good foil, G-man could have failed to save a passenger jet that was facing engine trouble. His overconfidence sheers the wing off, sending it tumbling into Gotham General or the Gotham Financial district. Gothamguy is hurled too far away to get there in time, so instead he hauls rear end once the situation is clear to him because he can't face the results.

So what you're saying is not enough bloodshed?

I'm sure we could get an arm rip in there somewhere.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I thought the All-Star Ref was good, what are you all complaining about. The story isn't about how "good" G-Man is it's about how much he WANTS to be good. He was so mad not because people died but because he failed. The All-Star ref was short hand for how hard he is trying to be superman (which in DC terms, is a trying to be a perfect god)

And who gives a poo poo if Gotham is gone soon, (maybe he's not King is pretty solid plotter, maybe he comes back) can you not identify with trying to do be something and then not being able to cut it?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The suicide intervention scenes purpose was highlight the tonal contrast between Superman and Batman comics via how things play out in Gotham as opposed to Metropolis. It is continuing the theme that the city itself is not only a character, but an antagonistic one that doesn't care about a heroes powers on intentions.King seems to be arguing against the common criticism of the shared DC universe, "Why doesn't Superman just clean up Gotham?" The answer is, not surprisingly, that Superman is not the hero Gotham needs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Suicide Squad Rebirth was much better than the movie I just saw. Good job Mr. Williams.

Least I got a gross lollipop out of it

Suicide Squad getting such poo poo reviews is sad to me because the marketing and new outfit is what got me to finally come around to (a version of) Harley Quinn, and if the whole thing bombs their not gonna use that interpretation of her anymore.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I don't get the complaint either.

FilthyImp posted:

Sure that also would have been fine except that would be two plane crash scenes in 4 issues and it would be panned as repetitive.

It's still "Gotham tries to be Superman and fails" so why is the All-Star homage so bad? It's an iconic scene, just like every death scene either references Crisis or Death in the Family, or how everyone copies the Dark Knight Returns lightning strike cover.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Equilibrium posted:

Yeesh Batman #4 is bad. I was looking forward to King's run, he's a much better writer on a technical level than Snyder, but it really feels like he has nothing at all to say with this character. I'm getting no feeling of who Batman is to King beyond that he's some ineffectual naif with the superpower of teleportation, trapped in yet another story about what if Gotham(!) was the main character.

It's also weird to see people highlighting the tacky All Star reference as something cool and not plainly distasteful.

Batman doing Batman poo poo in a book called Batman?! Yes he's good at avoiding detection. He can avoid Superman.

I'm not sure what you're looking for out of this? What city should Batman be a part of since you don't seem to want another Gotham story?

I like the action movie take on Batman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I'm sure we could get an arm rip in there somewhere.

It could use a few more.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's still "Gotham tries to be Superman and fails" so why is the All-Star homage so bad? It's an iconic scene, just like every death scene either references Crisis or Death in the Family, or how everyone copies the Dark Knight Returns lightning strike cover.
I think it's lazy and not earned. Just have to agree to disagree I suppose???

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked it a lot. Psycho Pirate has appeared in like one panel and all you see is the aftermath and he is scary as poo poo.

The only part I don't like is Amanda Waller. All she ever does is gently caress up, and this combined with her scene in the white House on suicide squad telling Obama he needed her to protect Americans from "bad people" was such a dumb speech it just made me actively hate the character.

I wonder if Gotham Girl might have a future.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I think it's lazy and not earned. Just have to agree to disagree I suppose???

It's not earned in All Star either.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I feel like they didn't do the best job of connecting the third and fourth issues -- we see Gotham and Gotham Girl jump in through the window, then in the next issue Batman finds the bodies but Gotham's still running around trying to help people, and Batman's opening move is to lecture him about engineering. If you moved Batman finding the bodies closer to the end it would have more impact. Plus, you have Gotham going back to find that guy, who I guess has just been hanging out? And the whole 27/28 twist, which didn't really work for me.

I mean, there's some interesting ideas here, but it comes off as jumbled.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Batman was a bit of a mess this week. It felt very decompressed but at the same time jumbled and jumping around a lot. Like the story needs to be speed up after having slowing it down so much.

Nightwing felt sped up too. DC can't seem to find a balance in their books.

Superman was great, but it was a fast read. It looks like Krypto is dead too.

The only book DC has out right now that has been consistently good is Superman. Everything else seems to either stink or have major pacing issues.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really loved Batman, but I agree it was kind of a mess. I actually disagree on Superman - it felt like an overstuffed mess too (like, there was two to three issues of plot packed into that loving comic and it feels breathless as all hell). Nightwing felt great, and I like Dick's new partner. Green Arrow was just sorta, well, there. Fine but totally unremarkable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm mostly reading Green Arrow for the art.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Has the Three Jokers thing been brought up at all? In any context, any reference whatsoever? Harley Quinn or Suicide Squad Rebirth? It's...Barry Allen who learned about the three Jokers thing from Bruce, right? Is that being addressed in Flash Rebirth?

I keep on forgetting that that was a Major Thing in Rebirth.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been relevant to anything so far.

It'll probably be on the down low until the next major story involving the Joker, I imagine.

I'm way more interested in seeing what's going on with the scarab being magical again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Has the Three Jokers thing been brought up at all? In any context, any reference whatsoever? Harley Quinn or Suicide Squad Rebirth? It's...Barry Allen who learned about the three Jokers thing from Bruce, right? Is that being addressed in Flash Rebirth?

I keep on forgetting that that was a Major Thing in Rebirth.

Nope. I'm surprised there wasn't a backlash over that considering they promised to tell us the Joker's real name but gave us that instead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

It's not earned in All Star either.
Nah, that's just wrong. Because in rear end

a) it's an original scene so it doesn't function solely on the basis of "Oh yeah, it's just like that other time *wink wink*

B) it continues to develop the message, namely that Kal El's Humanity and ability to inspire the best in others is what gives him power.

C) more subtly, it's about two characters confronting mortality and coming away with hope

Plus the whole bit about a dying god has the time to comfort a nobody teen in turmoil.

Anyway, I just think the homage in Batman is hacky and doesn't really do much for me, so I guess I should stop beating this particular horse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

It'll probably be on the down low until the next major story involving the Joker, I imagine.

I'm just wondering who's gonna do that. Maybe Snyder in All-Star Batman, I guess? Because I both don't think King especially cares about Joker and double especially doesn't care about three of them. I could see the idea of three Jokers running around appealing to Snyder, though, like as a plot point to address.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if Barry Allen learned about the three Jokers, I don't think so. I do know that he told Hal Jordan about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Toxxupation posted:

I'm just wondering who's gonna do that. Maybe Snyder in All-Star Batman, I guess? Because I both don't think King especially cares about Joker and double especially doesn't care about three of them. I could see the idea of three Jokers running around appealing to Snyder, though, like as a plot point to address.

It will be King. He will begin the story in Batman #9

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/23/comic-con-2016-batman-writer-reveals-when-joker-rebirth-story-will-continue