Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

horchata posted:

How difficult is it to RGB mod a SNES mini without prior soldering experience? Also, probably a stupid question, but do framemeisters ever go on sale or am I stuck paying 340~ for one?

It's pretty tricky since the video encoder chip is surface mount, and probably not something I'd suggest doing if you've never soldered before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I just lopped off a side of my Phantasy Star IV box and stuck it in to a clamshell when I got (early 2000s?). I'd probably still do that now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There are definitely some Genesis games that are just crazily expensive compared to the rest of the library (Phantasy Star IV, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Splatterhouse 2 and 3, Gunstar Heroes, and Shining Force II spring to mind), but even then, it's nothing compared to how expensive the SNES heavy hitters have gotten. There are still tons of really good Genesis games in the $10-15 range at least, though I don't follow the market at all so I have no idea if it will stay that way.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

horchata posted:

How difficult is it to RGB mod a SNES mini without prior soldering experience? Also, probably a stupid question, but do framemeisters ever go on sale or am I stuck paying 340~ for one?

Instant Sunrise is probably right about it being difficult. If you don't have soldering experience (or a soldering iron, for that matter), check out Monitor Burn's modding service thread in SA-Mart if you want to get it modded.

As for the XRGB, I don't think it ever really goes on sale. A big price factor is the exchange rate of the Japanese yen to the US dollar (or whatever currenct); the dollar ranges in value from 100 to 120 yen, so when the exchange rate is in the dollar's favor ($1:120 yen), you're essentially looking at a ~20% price reduction. When it's not, which is the current case, then you're paying a lot more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (to guide you through the mountain of import games)
Modifying my curriculum a little. Memorizing all the commands in Zork is ridiculous for beginners so instead I'll be focusing on directions which is far more important. Plus there's actually a Japanese version of Zork 1 on PlayStation, that's news to me.

Part 1: Kana

Part 2: Kanji

Here it is, the roadblock to every aspiring linguist. Where the kana can be learned in a weekend, kanji will take years. Some 2,000+ is expected after high school and that doesn't include the special readings exclusively used for names.

Kanji have multiple meanings based on their usage or context. They have a traditional Chinese meaning, which could be something different when used as a verb or noun, and mean something else when compounded with other kanji. For example 表 is the kanji for "exterior/surface" but when used as a verb in 表す it means "to represent/express". Kanji have sound readings (onyomi) based on Chinese and their Japanese phonetic readings (kunyomi). Usually compound words and nouns use onyomi readings and adjectives and verbs use kunyomi but many exceptions exist. For example 物 means "thing" and uses the kunyomi reading もの (mono). But 生物 means "living thing" and uses the onyomi ぶつ (butsu).

Here's a fun example of how complex kanji can get. Brightness and bright share the same kanji 明 but the noun is pronounced めい (mei) and the adjective あか (aka). Nouns by themselves usually use onyomi while adjectives use the kunyomi reading although this isn't always true either because as mentioned above the noun for "thing" is kunyomi. 日 "day" is usually にち (nichi), but 明日 "tomorrow" is あした (ashita). 星 star's onyomi is normally セイ (sei) but sometimes ショウ (shou), but how come 明星 Venus ends up みょうじょう (myoujyou)? This is called rendaku and it's the devil. I guess myoushou results in a lot of tongue twisters so people started voicing their consonants. You'll see rendaku often as is the case with 人々 "everybody." It's ひとびと (hitobito) and not ひとひと (hitohito).

How Can I Make Kanji Work For Me?

You're not going to learn kanji overnight but we can at least memorize the most common stuff. Although Japanese has its fair share of synonyms you're going to see some vocabulary more than others because it's easy for everyone to recognize instantly. For example 別れる and 分かれる both mean "to separate" and are pronounced exactly the same. But 99% of the time you'll only see 分 used in the context of the verb "to understand" 分かる (wakaru) instead. But that kanji is also used for minute because the Chinese meaning is "part." I apologize in advance.

Because Japanese is a "sound poor" language this leads to all the punny jokes you've probably seen. Hey, here's a good one! An American woman asks a Japanese man for directions. She replies "thank you" in her best accent サンキュー (sankyuu). The man exclaims "I didn't know you were pregnant!"

Get it? Because "thank you" in English sounds like "maternity leave" in Japanese さんきゅう (sankyuu). Huh? Anybody??

りーん
りーん

...continuing on

Beginner: Directions

I'm going to put the romaji in spoilers. Try your best to read the hiragana.

Let's start off easy with cardinal directions. They use the kunyomi readings.

北 きた kita - north

東 ひがし higashi - east

南 みなみ minami - south

西 にし nishi - west

Intercardinal directions are a little more difficult because they use onyomi instead of the kunyomi. Compound words (more than one kanji) usually use onyomi.

北東 ほくとう hokutou - northeast

南東 なんとう (nantou) - southeast

南西 なんせい (nansei) - southwest

北西 ほくせい (hokusei) - northwest

Since adventure games require moving up and down let's look at those as well.

上 うえ ue - above/up

下 した shita - below/down

What direction am I facing? Don't cheat!

Practice: Copy and paste the kanji from above to answer these. Read them out loud as you do it.

What are the directions to get through the Lost Woods in the first Legend of Zelda?

北 西 南 西

Referencing this map of Zork, what's the fastest way from the round room to the Egyptian room?

南東 東 下 南 東

Intermediate: Learning Your Verbs Through SCUMM

Verbs are kanji with a hiragana ender which means they'll largely use kunyomi readings. Verbs are classified as either -ru verbs or -u verbs based on the sound they make. You don't need to know more than that until you start conjugating sentences. For now remember: if a word ends in an "u" sound then it's likely a verb.

Maniac Mansion is a perfect place to dive into verbs. You'll see this vocabulary in almost every Japanese adventure game (although NES will tend to use hiragana so you'll have to memorize the kanji on your own, sorry). To start off easy, why don't we look at the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on Famicom?

From left to right, top to bottom:

開ける あける akeru - to unlock/open
押す おす osu - to push
仲間 なかま nakama - Colleague. Used to change characters
行く いく iku - to move
閉める しめる shimeru - to shut/close
引く ひく hiku - to pull
使う つかう tsukau - to use
読む よむ yomu - to read
渡す わたす watasu - to give
取る とる toru - to take
点ける つける tsukeru - to switch on
消す けす kesu - to turn off power

Practice: Boot up the Japanese Maniac Mansion in an emulator or something and play it! Use the above list as reference and say out loud the verbs as you select them. Use an English FAQ to help solve a puzzle or two by referencing the Japanese verbs with the English verbs. For a real challenge beat the game. It's maybe an hour with a guide.

Advanced: Counting, Time, and Dates

The calendar format for dates is "day: month: year" while the full international (e.g. newspaper) format is "year: month: day: time [sometimes Gregorian day]." The numbers are almost always written in Arabic numerals but we should still learn how to pronounce the numbers in Japanese. Let's start with the basics of counting the days on a calendar, 1-31.

一 いち ichi - one
二 に ni - two
三 さん san - three
四 し/よん shi or yon - four
五 ご go - five
六 ろく roku - six
七 しち/なな shichi or nana - seven
八 はち hachi - eight
九 きゅう/く kyuu or ku - nine
十 じゅう jyuu - ten

4 and 7 have huge exceptions because shi sounds like "death" and shichi "certain death." Generally speaking, anything beyond ten uses yon and nana instead of shi and shichi. Nine can also be pronounced ku and this seems to be a dialect thing. Kyuu is the most common with few exceptions.

Going higher than ten involves combining a number in the ones place with the tens place. So 20 is にじゅう (nijyuu) and thirty one is さんじゅういち (sanjyuuichi).

The kanji for dates and their onyomi

日 にち nichi - day of the month
月 げつ getsu - month
年 ねん nen - year

However, when counting the months of the year it's pronounced がつ (gatsu). If somebody asks you what month is August you would say はちがつ (hachigatsu, 8th month) and not hachigetsu.

Annoyingly, counting days changes the readings. Day becomes か (ka) and the numbers precede it. You should know the kanji by now so let's focus on the readings.

ついたち (tsuitachi) first day
ふつか futsuka second day
みっか mitsuka third day
よっか yokka fourth day
いつか itsuka fifth day
むいか muika sixth day
ようか youka seventh day
なのか nanoka eighth day
ここのか kokonoka ninth day
とおか tooka tenth day

Once you get into the teens it goes back to onyomi readings. For example 13th day jyuusannichi. Howeveeeeeeer we have a boatload of exceptions because language hates you. Remember that people don't like saying shi for four so the number four retains it's kunyomi. E.g. the twenty-fourth day will be nijyuuyokka. Seven oddly becomes shichi so seventeenth-day is jyuushichinichi. Nine becomes ku when counting days so twenty-ninth day is nijyuukunichi.

Moving on to Gregorian days. 曜日 ようび (youbi) means "day of the week." The kanji for day uses kunyomi but because of our good friend rendaku you voice the consonant. The seven kanji have a unique meaning and you should memorize them because they're very common. If you want to be formal you can add 曜日 but just the onyomi can suffice as an abbreviation if people understand your context. You'll see the abbreviation in calendars and planners but not newspapers.

月 げつ getsu - Monday (moon)
火 か ka - Tuesday (fire)
水 すい sui - Wednesday (water)
木 もく moku - Thursday (tree)
金 きん kin - Friday (gold)
土 ど do - Saturday (earth)
日 にち nichi - Sunday (sun)

Finally, let's count time.

時 じ ji - Hour counter. o'clock.
分 ふん fun - Minute counter.

Get ready for more exceptions! The 4th hour is shortened to yoji. 7 and 9 use their alternate reading. For minutes you use the full alternate reading for 4, 7, and 9. 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 get handakuten'd where the fun becomes pun e.g. yonpun is 4 minutes. Furthermore 1, 6, 8, and 10 get shortened to double consonants. E.g. 1 minute is ippun, not ichipun.

Whew, that's a lot of stuff.

Romaji is common with dates, probably because news is read by a wide variety of people. But you should still know what the kanji mean because they crop up often. What day is it in this screenshot?

Practice: Transliterate today's full date including the time (abbreviate the year since I didn't teach you thousands). What's your favorite day of the week and your least favorite?

As of this writing it's yokka hachigatsu jyuurokunen. The time is shichiji jyuuyonpun. I love kinyoubi and hate getsuyoubi!

In Part 3 we're diving into the deep end. Learn how to reference and look up Japanese you don't know using dictionaries. Use character recognition programs to cut and paste Japanese text from screenshots. Find out how to translate things you don't know really quickly!

Further Reading
Numbers and Counting

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Is there a decent consensus about which model of Genesis sounds the best or is it a subjective "the Genesis model I had as a kid is the best sounding one?"

Or did I just open a can of worms by even asking this?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

Is there a decent consensus about which model of Genesis sounds the best or is it a subjective "the Genesis model I had as a kid is the best sounding one?"

Check out these "Streets Of Rage 2" sound comparisons, see which one speaks to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiu8wDLV_9g

EDIT: Also, Sonic 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCOlnGpi1g

I've never been a fan of the second model consoles, because they feel cheap as hell and like Sega was cutting corners (which makes sense, since they came out near the end of the Genesis' life cycle). I'd just look for a Model 1 with the "High Definition Graphics" logo and call it good, if only because it was probably what a lot of developers were working with.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 5, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There are definitely some Genesis games that are just crazily expensive compared to the rest of the library (Phantasy Star IV, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Splatterhouse 2 and 3, Gunstar Heroes, and Shining Force II spring to mind),

Panorama Cotton laughs at your cheap games.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

I kinda missed out on the entire 16 bit era, going straight from the NES to the N64, so Sega was just never really a thing for me :shrug:

Same here. Went from NES (and PC/C64) to the N64. Played more Genesis at friends' houses than SNES during those years, but any 16-bit games I am really interested in these days are on the SNES. I have a handful of Genesis games still, but didn't have room for the console, so sold it and just settle with a Retron and Retrogen for what little Genesis games I want to play. Not a knock on Sega or the console, just my tastes and preferences for things I had nostalgia for.

I have the Sonic games, PS4, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Sub-terrania, Aladdin, Lion King, Power Rangers, James Bond: The Duel, Earthworm Jim, and crappy sports games. There are a couple more I'd like to get, but honestly PS4 and Castlevania are the only ones I haven't really played thoroughly yet that I really have a desire to play still. I'll play James Bond or Earthworm Jim here and there, but thats it as far as my Genesis gaming goes.

Any other big heavy hitters I should check out?

I do plan on doing a James Bond in video games video as my first (and maybe only) Youtube attempt. So I will put some time into the Duel. And I still need to play FF3 on the SNES, have only played it on the PS1 (and a little on GBA, but stopped so I can just play on SNES) so far, but plan to play through PS4 after that since people seems to debate which is better (though Chrono Trigger usually gets decided as the true answer).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 5, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Phantasy-Star-IV-4-Ozisoft-Australian-Sega-Mega-Drive-/162157910610?hash=item25c15d5a52:g:6wIAAOSwyLlXopWl

Heck.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can't talk about Sega without bringing up the objectively best game that's also super cheap: Rocket Knight Adventures.

Other cheap off-the-beaten-path games: Gauntlet 4 (the best Gauntlet), Herzog Zwei, Super Turrican, Elemental Master, General Chaos, and Starflight.

Really you can't go wrong with anything from Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I went straight from Gameboy to Gamecube and didn't even know that Sega made consoles until years after the Dreamcast died and now I love my Dreamcast

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If I am going to have the tv with the consoles next to my PC, would a 14 inch be fine? Especially if I am getting a Sony PVM in that size?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If it's at a desk, yes.

I know I just posted a picture of this, but this is what it looks like from a distance. It does take a fair bit of desk space to do, but...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

If it's at a desk, yes.

I know I just posted a picture of this, but this is what it looks like from a distance. It does take a fair bit of desk space to do, but...

How big is that tv anyway? Also like the Sailor Jupiter sign.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
About 15" Samsung CRT, my 20" PVM is on another table. The monitors are 23" LGs.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Caitlin posted:

About 15" Samsung CRT, my 20" PVM is on another table. The monitors are 23" LGs.

Ha, I saw the picture and thought "wow, those look like my 23" Flatron IPS monitor...", especially the on on the left, and "I have those Cyber Acoustics speakers".

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ha, I saw the picture and thought "wow, those look like my 23" Flatron IPS monitor...", especially the on on the left, and "I have those Cyber Acoustics speakers".

Those speakers are not half bad for $40 speakers!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Rirse posted:

If I am going to have the tv with the consoles next to my PC, would a 14 inch be fine? Especially if I am getting a Sony PVM in that size?

Sitting at a desk should be fine. Though, I've played sitting back (5' away or so) from 13"/14" CRT's in the past... and ever since college, that has been a no go for me. I end up losing interest in whatever game too fast because I had a hard time seeing. I am not sure how I was able to sit across the room from a 13" CRT growing up and being able to play games.

Caitlin posted:

Those speakers are not half bad for $40 speakers!

Haha, not at all. They replaced a decent set of 4.1 speakers that died and I just didn't want to spend money because I'll be upgrading my surround sound in my game room once I move, and just wanted something to hold me over. I may not now. Plus the aux in is great.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 5, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

al-azad posted:

You can't talk about Sega without bringing up the objectively best game that's also super cheap: Rocket Knight Adventures.

As of late I have been writing many words about this game so for right now I'll just say everyone should play Rocket Knight Adventures

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So in really strange news that I somehow missed for 4 months, Suda51 is localizing an HD remaster of Grasshopper's first game The Silver Case. It's a visual novel that was certainly eye catching in 1999 in an era where Chunsoft dominated the market with really samey looking sound novels. I don't know how it would be received now but it's nice seeing more of his work reaching a wider audience.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Crossed wires? Yes, the TG16 was a thing, but let's face it, it was never a contender compared to the neck-and-neck rivalry of the Genesis and SNES. People can be forgiven for not getting on the TG16 wagon, but there's no excuse to not get on the Genesis one.

I didn't mention the TG16. I was joking around because your wording made it sound like the Genesis was the lesser half of the 16-bit era and I've always been a huge Sega fanboy.

azurite fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 5, 2016

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

I had both a model 1 and model 2 back when I was younger, but the TVs we had were so awful that I couldn't tell the difference. I'm glad that the sound players seem to closely resemble the model 1's version.

As for the model 2, uh :stare:

quote:

Clockwork Bard 1 week ago
As soon as the Model 2 came on, I recognized it instantly. sigh Yup, that sounds like my good ol' Model 2 VA1. I'm no audiophile, but that salt-gargling muffle and wheeze is an unmistakable piece of my childhood. I'd upgrade, but at this point a decent model just wouldn't sound right.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cliche Guevara posted:

Pain in the rear end to assemble and setup though? Will have to look into it. Would love to play some of these old gems in the N64 and PS1 libraries!

Like five posts above yours talks about how you shouldn't get your hopes up to emulate N64 stuff.

I haven't tried a lot of PSX stuff, but what I have tried has worked pretty well though.

And it's absolutely not a pain in the rear end to setup, especially if you've only got NES/SNES/GB/Sega in mind. It already comes pre-assembled, all you have to do is put it inside a plastic case (takes thirty seconds, and honestly is totally optional if you don't mind just keeping a bare motherboard sitting out). Then you download the image file for Retropie from the official site, stick your microSD into your PC, format it, and install the image on it. Take it out, stick it in the Pi, plug in a controller, and turn it on. Move some buttons around on the controller to configure it, takes ten seconds. Done. All that remains is to load up your ROMs onto the machine and (completely optionally) scrape the metadata for them. The entire process from opening the box your Pi comes in to playing a game should take no more than a half hour at the absolute most.

It only gets more complicated if you want to do systems that require you to load the BIOS for the console you want to emulate, even then it's just a matter of getting the BIOS and loading it into the Pi. Or if you want to do more advanced personalization of control schemes per-game or per-emulator, or set up MAME stuff. Everything is very well documented, all of what you will need to know is in an easy-to-use wiki, and there are a billion guides on Youtube.

Drone fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 5, 2016

Risky
May 18, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

It's pretty tricky since the video encoder chip is surface mount, and probably not something I'd suggest doing if you've never soldered before.

Is this only for 1 Chip consoles?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Only for the SNES mini. The full size onechips don't need a mod for RGB or S-Video.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Joke's on you, Nintendo. I bought your Smash Bros Gamecube Controller for the WiiU, and you know what I'm gonna use it for?

Gamecube games :smuggo:.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Miles McCloud posted:

Only for the SNES mini. The full size onechips don't need a mod for RGB or S-Video.

So I found a 1 chip super famicom and I have an s-video cable but my flat screen doesn't have s-video inputs. It only has HDMI and component. What are my options to get it to work on it?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Risky posted:

So I found a 1 chip super famicom and I have an s-video cable but my flat screen doesn't have s-video inputs. It only has HDMI and component. What are my options to get it to work on it?

Your best option would be to get a SCART RGB-to-HDMI converter. This could be one of the cheap ones on Amazon (no idea which, if any, are worth a drat), which may be kind of slow in their conversion and introduce input lag. Or you could go whole hog for the XRGB Framemeister. Keep in mind that you would also need to get a SCART cable (or cables, if you want to hook up other consoles), either way.

Don't bother with trying to convert anything to component video on a flat screen LCD; odds are, your TV won't pick up an analog signal that is less than 480p.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
14" CRT is fine for playing from a long arm's reach away, but 480i/576i from a PS3 s-video is eye-murdering at any distance. I need to get those cables or passthrough from my scaler.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

Drone posted:

It's super simple nowadays. Just never ever unplug your Pi without shutting it down first, otherwise you'll corrupt your microSD card. In fact, once you get everything set up the way you want it with all of your roms and emulators configured perfectly for your tastes, immediately make a backup of the microSD card image to your PC or laptop. That way in case it ever does go corrupt, you can restore it within a matter of minutes.

Edit: don't bother trying to get N64, Saturn, or Dreamcast working until you've got some more experience with the Pi under your belt. All three require overclocking and even then they generally don't work well. In the N64's case I'm not sure if the problem is the hardware so much as it is that N64 emulation itself generally kinda sucks, but maybe it'll be better whenever we get a Raspberry Pi Model 4.

It's an absolute dream for running PSX and earlier though. Also MAME stuff.

I have to say after reading this I went to try PSX on my Pi 3 and wow I am stunned how well it runs games pretty much flawlessly at 60 fps incredible! I honestly just never tried on mine simply because N64 ran like crap and I just felt PSX would be the same. This completely opens up a new bunch of games for me to revisit and in the case of imports to try on my Pi so thanks!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (to guide you through the mountain of import games)
Modifying my curriculum a little. Memorizing all the commands in Zork is ridiculous for beginners so instead I'll be focusing on directions which is far more important. Plus there's actually a Japanese version of Zork 1 on PlayStation, that's news to me.

Part 1: Kana

Part 2: Kanji

Here it is, the roadblock to every aspiring linguist. Where the kana can be learned in a weekend, kanji will take years. Some 2,000+ is expected after high school and that doesn't include the special readings exclusively used for names.

Kanji have multiple meanings based on their usage or context. They have a traditional Chinese meaning, which could be something different when used as a verb or noun, and mean something else when compounded with other kanji. For example 表 is the kanji for "exterior/surface" but when used as a verb in 表す it means "to represent/express". Kanji have sound readings (onyomi) based on Chinese and their Japanese phonetic readings (kunyomi). Usually compound words and nouns use onyomi readings and adjectives and verbs use kunyomi but many exceptions exist. For example 物 means "thing" and uses the kunyomi reading もの (mono). But 生物 means "living thing" and uses the onyomi ぶつ (butsu).

Here's a fun example of how complex kanji can get. Brightness and bright share the same kanji 明 but the noun is pronounced めい (mei) and the adjective あか (aka). Nouns by themselves usually use onyomi while adjectives use the kunyomi reading although this isn't always true either because as mentioned above the noun for "thing" is kunyomi. 日 "day" is usually にち (nichi), but 明日 "tomorrow" is あした (ashita). 星 star's onyomi is normally セイ (sei) but sometimes ショウ (shou), but how come 明星 Venus ends up みょうじょう (myoujyou)? This is called rendaku and it's the devil. I guess myoushou results in a lot of tongue twisters so people started voicing their consonants. You'll see rendaku often as is the case with 人々 "everybody." It's ひとびと (hitobito) and not ひとひと (hitohito).

How Can I Make Kanji Work For Me?

You're not going to learn kanji overnight but we can at least memorize the most common stuff. Although Japanese has its fair share of synonyms you're going to see some vocabulary more than others because it's easy for everyone to recognize instantly. For example 別れる and 分かれる both mean "to separate" and are pronounced exactly the same. But 99% of the time you'll only see 分 used in the context of the verb "to understand" 分かる (wakaru) instead. But that kanji is also used for minute because the Chinese meaning is "part." I apologize in advance.

Because Japanese is a "sound poor" language this leads to all the punny jokes you've probably seen. Hey, here's a good one! An American woman asks a Japanese man for directions. She replies "thank you" in her best accent サンキュー (sankyuu). The man exclaims "I didn't know you were pregnant!"

Get it? Because "thank you" in English sounds like "maternity leave" in Japanese さんきゅう (sankyuu). Huh? Anybody??

りーん
りーん

...continuing on

Beginner: Directions

I'm going to put the romaji in spoilers. Try your best to read the hiragana.

Let's start off easy with cardinal directions. They use the kunyomi readings.

北 きた kita - north

東 ひがし higashi - east

南 みなみ minami - south

西 にし nishi - west

Intercardinal directions are a little more difficult because they use onyomi instead of the kunyomi. Compound words (more than one kanji) usually use onyomi.

北東 ほくとう hokutou - northeast

南東 なんとう (nantou) - southeast

南西 なんせい (nansei) - southwest

北西 ほくせい (hokusei) - northwest

Since adventure games require moving up and down let's look at those as well.

上 うえ ue - above/up

下 した shita - below/down

What direction am I facing? Don't cheat!

Practice: Copy and paste the kanji from above to answer these. Read them out loud as you do it.

What are the directions to get through the Lost Woods in the first Legend of Zelda?

北 西 南 西

Referencing this map of Zork, what's the fastest way from the round room to the Egyptian room?

南東 東 下 南 東

Intermediate: Learning Your Verbs Through SCUMM

Verbs are kanji with a hiragana ender which means they'll largely use kunyomi readings. Verbs are classified as either -ru verbs or -u verbs based on the sound they make. You don't need to know more than that until you start conjugating sentences. For now remember: if a word ends in an "u" sound then it's likely a verb.

Maniac Mansion is a perfect place to dive into verbs. You'll see this vocabulary in almost every Japanese adventure game (although NES will tend to use hiragana so you'll have to memorize the kanji on your own, sorry). To start off easy, why don't we look at the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on Famicom?

From left to right, top to bottom:

開ける あける akeru - to unlock/open
押す おす osu - to push
仲間 なかま nakama - Colleague. Used to change characters
行く いく iku - to move
閉める しめる shimeru - to shut/close
引く ひく hiku - to pull
使う つかう tsukau - to use
読む よむ yomu - to read
渡す わたす watasu - to give
取る とる toru - to take
点ける つける tsukeru - to switch on
消す けす kesu - to turn off power

Practice: Boot up the Japanese Maniac Mansion in an emulator or something and play it! Use the above list as reference and say out loud the verbs as you select them. Use an English FAQ to help solve a puzzle or two by referencing the Japanese verbs with the English verbs. For a real challenge beat the game. It's maybe an hour with a guide.

Advanced: Counting, Time, and Dates

The calendar format for dates is "day: month: year" while the full international (e.g. newspaper) format is "year: month: day: time [sometimes Gregorian day]." The numbers are almost always written in Arabic numerals but we should still learn how to pronounce the numbers in Japanese. Let's start with the basics of counting the days on a calendar, 1-31.

一 いち ichi - one
二 に ni - two
三 さん san - three
四 し/よん shi or yon - four
五 ご go - five
六 ろく roku - six
七 しち/なな shichi or nana - seven
八 はち hachi - eight
九 きゅう/く kyuu or ku - nine
十 じゅう jyuu - ten

4 and 7 have huge exceptions because shi sounds like "death" and shichi "certain death." Generally speaking, anything beyond ten uses yon and nana instead of shi and shichi. Nine can also be pronounced ku and this seems to be a dialect thing. Kyuu is the most common with few exceptions.

Going higher than ten involves combining a number in the ones place with the tens place. So 20 is にじゅう (nijyuu) and thirty one is さんじゅういち (sanjyuuichi).

The kanji for dates and their onyomi

日 にち nichi - day of the month
月 げつ getsu - month
年 ねん nen - year

However, when counting the months of the year it's pronounced がつ (gatsu). If somebody asks you what month is August you would say はちがつ (hachigatsu, 8th month) and not hachigetsu.

Annoyingly, counting days changes the readings. Day becomes か (ka) and the numbers precede it. You should know the kanji by now so let's focus on the readings.

ついたち (tsuitachi) first day
ふつか futsuka second day
みっか mitsuka third day
よっか yokka fourth day
いつか itsuka fifth day
むいか muika sixth day
ようか youka seventh day
なのか nanoka eighth day
ここのか kokonoka ninth day
とおか tooka tenth day

Once you get into the teens it goes back to onyomi readings. For example 13th day jyuusannichi. Howeveeeeeeer we have a boatload of exceptions because language hates you. Remember that people don't like saying shi for four so the number four retains it's kunyomi. E.g. the twenty-fourth day will be nijyuuyokka. Seven oddly becomes shichi so seventeenth-day is jyuushichinichi. Nine becomes ku when counting days so twenty-ninth day is nijyuukunichi.

Moving on to Gregorian days. 曜日 ようび (youbi) means "day of the week." The kanji for day uses kunyomi but because of our good friend rendaku you voice the consonant. The seven kanji have a unique meaning and you should memorize them because they're very common. If you want to be formal you can add 曜日 but just the onyomi can suffice as an abbreviation if people understand your context. You'll see the abbreviation in calendars and planners but not newspapers.

月 げつ getsu - Monday (moon)
火 か ka - Tuesday (fire)
水 すい sui - Wednesday (water)
木 もく moku - Thursday (tree)
金 きん kin - Friday (gold)
土 ど do - Saturday (earth)
日 にち nichi - Sunday (sun)

Finally, let's count time.

時 じ ji - Hour counter. o'clock.
分 ふん fun - Minute counter.

Get ready for more exceptions! The 4th hour is shortened to yoji. 7 and 9 use their alternate reading. For minutes you use the full alternate reading for 4, 7, and 9. 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 get handakuten'd where the fun becomes pun e.g. yonpun is 4 minutes. Furthermore 1, 6, 8, and 10 get shortened to double consonants. E.g. 1 minute is ippun, not ichipun.

Whew, that's a lot of stuff.

Romaji is common with dates, probably because news is read by a wide variety of people. But you should still know what the kanji mean because they crop up often. What day is it in this screenshot?

Practice: Transliterate today's full date including the time (abbreviate the year since I didn't teach you thousands). What's your favorite day of the week and your least favorite?

As of this writing it's yokka hachigatsu jyuurokunen. The time is shichiji jyuuyonpun. I love kinyoubi and hate getsuyoubi!

In Part 3 we're diving into the deep end. Learn how to reference and look up Japanese you don't know using dictionaries. Use character recognition programs to cut and paste Japanese text from screenshots. Find out how to translate things you don't know really quickly!

Further Reading
Numbers and Counting

drat, this is good stuff. Thank you :)

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Anyone got a recommendation for a good screwdriver kit for console repair? I need to take apart my Wii U gamepad and it needs those "tri-tip" screwdrivers, and rather than just buy the two I'd need I'd rather get a bunch of them and not have to buy any more for the foreseeable future.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Your best option would be to get a SCART RGB-to-HDMI converter. This could be one of the cheap ones on Amazon (no idea which, if any, are worth a drat), which may be kind of slow in their conversion and introduce input lag. Or you could go whole hog for the XRGB Framemeister. Keep in mind that you would also need to get a SCART cable (or cables, if you want to hook up other consoles), either way.

Don't bother with trying to convert anything to component video on a flat screen LCD; odds are, your TV won't pick up an analog signal that is less than 480p.

You can also pick up S-Video to HDMI scalers that are a decent and inexpensive middle ground between composite and going full hog with RGB SCART.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking of fun ways to break old games. Walk through walls codes for rpgs are always great for this. But I was just thinking. Are there any Game Genie or Code Shark codes for Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger or even Earthbound where you can move your character no matter what? Meaning, even during "cut scenes"?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Or did I just open a can of worms by even asking this?

A launch aka "High Definition Graphics" unit, or a VA6, both are model 1 variants.

The HDG is easy to spot, and a lot of people prefer them (not me, and i'll explain) because they have really loud bass compared to every other Genesis.

The VA6 is a bit harder to spot, but easily recognized by the flat panel of plastic where the EXT port used to be near the AV/PSU inputs. The VA6 has properly mixed sound (the HDG's bass is actually mixed too loud, causing distortion), and stereo audio through the headphone jack is cleaner than on most other models (on an HDG, turning the volume slider up to more than around halfway causes it to crackle).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'll actually warn about the HDG models, the VA1 of them is very rough sounding, because the PSG channels run way too hot. Rings in Sonic and drums in games will sound very scratchy and loud compared to a VA2-6 or the VA3/4 model 2's.

The Nomad and CDX also sound really good through the headphone jacks because they have actual headphone amps inside of them.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Silhouette posted:

A launch aka "High Definition Graphics" unit, or a VA6, both are model 1 variants.

The HDG is easy to spot, and a lot of people prefer them (not me, and i'll explain) because they have really loud bass compared to every other Genesis.

The VA6 is a bit harder to spot, but easily recognized by the flat panel of plastic where the EXT port used to be near the AV/PSU inputs. The VA6 has properly mixed sound (the HDG's bass is actually mixed too loud, causing distortion), and stereo audio through the headphone jack is cleaner than on most other models (on an HDG, turning the volume slider up to more than around halfway causes it to crackle).

Bass is too loud as in they were trying to compensate for the lovely small speakers that most TV's had and still have?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

I'll actually warn about the HDG models, the VA1 of them is very rough sounding, because the PSG channels run way too hot. Rings in Sonic and drums in games will sound very scratchy and loud compared to a VA2-6 or the VA3/4 model 2's.

The Nomad and CDX also sound really good through the headphone jacks because they have actual headphone amps inside of them.

The CDX in general is very good if you can get a hold of one. Even when you plop a 32X onto it it's still very compact, you're only using two power adapters (because the CD and Genesis only need the one power supply in the CDX), and with a 32X in you have almost the best quality sound and video of any Genesis setup before modding gets into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I was thinking of fun ways to break old games. Walk through walls codes for rpgs are always great for this. But I was just thinking. Are there any Game Genie or Code Shark codes for Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger or even Earthbound where you can move your character no matter what? Meaning, even during "cut scenes"?

Good question and likely depends on programming nuances of the game in question. It's not uncommon for games to have the "cutscene" not technically using the "player" for its visible graphics, I think especially in cases where the characters perform actions with graphics you don't see in the normal game, although I could also see it being something like "the entire stack of code which controls movement/menus etc. is unloaded so more resources are available to make the cutscene extra fancy." This would mean it's not just flipping a switch. That said, some games do legit have bugs based around this kind of idea, like if you hit an action button or direction at a very precise time (like exact frame) you can sequence break an on-rails section or avoid a hotzone that triggers a cutscene, like in FF6 during the multi-storyline section in Locke's sequence, you can escape the city if you time it super-precisely and skip getting Celes entirely. It's a difficult but human-doable trick and common in speedruns of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7oZ6wZTqw

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 5, 2016

• Locked thread