Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Marvel Thunderbolts movie starring Tim Roth, Sam Rockwell, Daniel Bruhl, and William Hurt would be pretty loving awesome. Throw in some lady to be Moonstone or Songbird, maybe add a chick to be Toxie Moxie and throw them all against the Sentry just to twist the knife against DC a little more.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Well, until you think about how he was possibly able to predict that so many moving parts would come together in a way he could take advantage of. Like yeah not forseeing Black Panther's involvement was his downfall, but how on earth could he have predicted that at any point the world governments or Captain America or Bucky wouldn't just die or escape or even chill out?

Zemo was adapting his plan to meet the circumstances that arose. There's still a bit of strained coincidence, but overall I felt he was good, and one of the best villains in the MCU.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

A Marvel Thunderbolts movie starring Tim Roth, Sam Rockwell, Daniel Bruhl, and William Hurt would be pretty loving awesome. Throw in some lady to be Moonstone or Songbird, maybe add a chick to be Toxie Moxie and throw them all against the Sentry just to twist the knife against DC a little more.

holy poo poo I forgot about the Sentry and his whole hosed up storyline. You want a god complex in a box, his Void poo poo and his wife asking the Avengers to kill him is pretty nuts. poo poo, his calling card for years was literally ripping people in half.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
only good part of the movie was wonder woman

besides that the plot was garbage and took everything else down with it

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PenguinKnight posted:

lmao I don't even think that most people that just make art house films pull this kind of poo poo. what a garbage edgelord movie

It's like someone heard about the crazy poo poo that Friedkin did on the Exorcist and decided to do it in a really tame, OSHA compliant way in TYOOL 2016.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Avengers wasn't great but I still enjoyed it and it's a movie I'd leave on if I'm channel browsing and land on FX or maybe put on if I'm going to see a new Marvel movie in a few days. I have no interest in ever doing that for MoS or BvS. Avengers had this giant snowball of hype behind it and Whedonisms aside the momentum took it to an ok place, unlike with Synder who kept jerking the wheel to the side trying to force the car down douchebro alley

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 4, 2016

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Your theory is the same as the one where Superman could have saved every single life in Man Of Steel if he simply 'cared harder'. So Superman is secretly conspiring against humanity, like the figure of The Jew in various conspiracy theories.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Bro Dad posted:

Your theory is the same as the one where Superman could have saved every single life in Man Of Steel if he simply 'cared harder'. So Superman is secretly conspiring against humanity, like the figure of The Jew in various conspiracy theories.

marvel makes good movies and dc doesn't

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

marvel makes good movies and dc doesn't

lmao

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

You liked BvS. Do you also eat poo poo for breakfast?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

marvel movies are good. dc movies suck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think dc movies make marvel movies look better by comparison. on their own they are okay, i guess? but when they get to be the gallant to dc's goofus they start to look amazing.

naem
May 29, 2011

I appreciate the muppets on a much deeper level than you

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/i-appreciate-the-muppets-on-a-much-deeper-level-th-16208

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

:eyepop: Holy moly - some of this stuff is pretty extreme

Seems like a lot of effort and humiliation just to make a very bad movie

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Judakel posted:

Do you also eat poo poo for breakfast?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Serious Frolicking posted:

i think dc movies make marvel movies look better by comparison. on their own they are okay, i guess? but when they get to be the gallant to dc's goofus they start to look amazing.

On their own I'd say they're objectively really bad (Green Lantern, MOS being the worst). Parts of the Nolan films are okay but most of the credit for Nolan's films really should go to Heath Ledger's amazing Joker portrayal, practically everything else in that series is pretty mediocre. The Tim Burton pieces I count as great films, but they're decades old now and I don't think anything being done in comic book films these days is in the same general category as them any more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the dc movies are poo poo and i love seeing them burn but i'm pretty indifferent on most marvel movies. the only one i think is great is guardians of the galaxy. that movie was fun as gently caress.

haven't seen civil war so i can't judge.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anSPG0TPf84

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the dc movies are poo poo and i love seeing them burn but i'm pretty indifferent on most marvel movies. the only one i think is great is guardians of the galaxy. that movie was fun as gently caress.

Winter Soldier was also in the own zone

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the Marvel movies are legit mostly mediocre but they do manage to hit the goals they set out to hit, which usually boils down to "we want audiences to give a gently caress about this character no one but weird nerds have heard of" and considering the characters they've managed to sell that shouldn't be sneezed at unless you're some weird adolescent brat who has never tried anything difficult ever.

The only ones that I feel go beyond those goals:

Thor
Iron Man 3
Captain America 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America 3

That isn't to say the other movies suck, but they're either sloppy (Thor 2, Iron man 2, Avengers 2) or aside from the goal of selling the characters they don't actually accomplish all that much (Iron Man, Captain America, Avengers, Ant-Man).

MinibarMatchman posted:

holy poo poo I forgot about the Sentry and his whole hosed up storyline. You want a god complex in a box, his Void poo poo and his wife asking the Avengers to kill him is pretty nuts. poo poo, his calling card for years was literally ripping people in half.

That's why throwing a Marvel Thunderbolts team against him is the best loving idea ever. You get them to fight a threat both worthy of a team-up and too messy for the Avengers to be bothered with, with the petty subtext of having them fight "Superman" who can't keep his urge to be a big dumb grimdark baby under control. It's almost too perfect.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 5, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Aren't you the dunce that said the director's cut of bvs was good? That's a lmao

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

All of CineD's favorite movies have that same flaw opposed to the movies they hate.

With the unlimited resources of the human imagination you can write fantasy scripts where the good guys win via clever writing.

For example, the ending of Return of the Jedi. Luke refuses to give in to the dark side and has to face the Emperor. He breaks and starts wailing on Vader until his conscience takes over and he remembers his humanity and surrenders his life rather than becoming what he's fighting against.

In Man of Steel Superman just punches his problem until it goes away, ethics and humanity and conscience be damned.

In Indiana Jones, pretty much every Spielberg movie, and all the classic action stories the hero gets the best of the villain by not being the villain themselves.

In Transformers movies and Star Wars prequels and Snyderverse the good guys win by punching or shooting the villains and winning with superior firepower or numbers. It's just 45 minutes of bludgeoning with nothing resembling a character arc, motivation, story, plot, redemption, etc. Just the guys who we're told are good hitting their problems to make them go away, like toddlers or animals.

At no point do the scripts in CineD's favorite movies take time to realize that with a dim flicker of the most uninspired imagination the films could become so much better if they weren't penned as a race to the final scene where a villain is simply beaten by being less powerful.

If your script sets up a scenario where Superman is facing an impossible challenge and he has to rely on punching rather than using his wit and humanity to beat the bad guy, you've completely missed the entire point of the character, film itself, and storytelling in general.

There's a strong guy with a moral dilemma.
Well what does he do?
He just is strong at things.

That's not storytelling. That's a comic a 5 year old would draw, not a film. Man of Steel is insulting to the entire craft and god help anyone that thinks it's anything other than juvenile, ignorant, talentless hack bullshit.

Every time I read a post like this, I remember that you were probated for, like, a year while the ppl ur talking about got moderator positions. This forum. Man.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
seems like the general consensus is that while the DC live action poo poo has been a total failure, the animated stuff is actually very competent and good?

Just started reading some batmens (the one that ends with him and Jared leto laughing at a joke together and this one where he's really old but so crazy that he has to come out of retirement to stop the voices in his head and he makes a tiny pubescent girl be his new sunshine boy because old one died apparently? leto killed him? still reading this one) and now I would like to watch batman movies because reading comics on my kindle makes me feel queasy after a while for some reason.

anyway wading through nerd discussion on which animated batmans exist and are good is painful and sucks because it's poo poo garbage for baby idiots who make me fuckin wanna vomit with their horrible opinions, so please tell me what to watch :^) thank you

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I did hear that the batman: the animated show is very good but I'm iffy on starting a series, I'm thinking trying some features first would be a good intro. Suggestions welcome, friends!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have a very imporant question about the Killing Joke animated movie

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gatekeeper posted:

I did hear that the batman: the animated show is very good but I'm iffy on starting a series, I'm thinking trying some features first would be a good intro. Suggestions welcome, friends!

The Wonder Woman movie is alright

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gatekeeper posted:

seems like the general consensus is that while the DC live action poo poo has been a total failure, the animated stuff is actually very competent and good?

Seriouspost: Nah. People like to say this because the DC animated series stuff tends to be of a much higher caliber as far as literal children's cartoons go--Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, etc. are all worth a look if you're a literal child, a preteen, or have absolutely nothing better to do with your time.

The DC animated movies are garbage dumps for projects that enough fans want to see adapted but nowhere near marketable enough to consider for live action with the notable exception of Suicide Squad. That's why most of them are just truncated versions of famous DC books like The Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman, the New Frontier, and Flashpoint: Paradox for some reason. I have yet to see one that rises above the level of mediocre. I recall the best one being the "Earth 2" one which was an aborted script for the older Justice League cartoon and it's only worth watching for James Woods as Owlman and Guido Ultraman. Watch these if you are too much of an imbecile to spend 20 minutes reading a comic at Barnes and Noble.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Seriouspost: Nah. People like to say this because the DC animated series stuff tends to be of a much higher caliber as far as literal children's cartoons go--Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, etc. are all worth a look if you're a literal child, a preteen, or have absolutely nothing better to do with your time.

The DC animated movies are garbage dumps for projects that enough fans want to see adapted but nowhere near marketable enough to consider for live action with the notable exception of Suicide Squad. That's why most of them are just truncated versions of famous DC books like The Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman, the New Frontier, and Flashpoint: Paradox for some reason. I have yet to see one that rises above the level of mediocre. I recall the best one being the "Earth 2" one which was an aborted script for the older Justice League cartoon and it's only worth watching for James Woods as Owlman and Guido Ultraman. Watch these if you are too much of an imbecile to spend 20 minutes reading a comic at Barnes and Noble.

I don't know, I liked the DC Showcase shorts, particularly the Spectre one with Gary Cole, largely because it was aping a '70s "grindhouse" styles, complete with grain filter and overexposed, bloomed-out look, and all the horror/slasher homages. The Green Arrow one's great because Neil McDonough makes Oliver Queen super-likable.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mind the walrus posted:

You're suposed to pay for those, you thief!

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Thank you, i feel like people really praise this stuff and I usually wonder how much of that is rose colored glasses "this was so awesome when I was a kid! it is also awesome now that I'm an adult!" stuff.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Neil McDonough makes Oliver Queen super-likable

This is one aspect that does attract me, though: I usually really like the VAs I see mentioned whenever these come up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Best Batman Power Ranking:

60's Adam West Batman
Tim Burton Batman
Animated Series Batman
Chris Nolan Batman
Rocksteady Video games Batman
Animated movies Batman
[tumble off cliff]
Joel Schumacher Batman
1940s serial films Batman
Comic Books Batman
Alan Moore comic books Batman
Not-Rocksteady Video Games Batman
The Batman
Batman Beyond
The Aurora Theater Shooter
Zack Snyderverse

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
how does batgirl wear a big lacy bra under her skintight batsuit

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's her superpower

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gatekeeper posted:

Thank you, i feel like people really praise this stuff and I usually wonder how much of that is rose colored glasses "this was so awesome when I was a kid! it is also awesome now that I'm an adult!" stuff.

Don't get me wrong the DCAU stuff is a phenomenal and unprecedented accomplishment of serial storytelling considering it wasn't planned, and the highs are genuinely high (the Cadmus arc in JLU is easily the best DC adaptation outside of the 77 Superman ever), but even the best of it is still a preteen cartoon.

What's funny is that the very best stuff is heavily weighted towards Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, but 99% of people you ask will mention early Batman: The Animated Series despite not having seen it in 20 years, which is historically interesting and has good episodes that ooze style, but has largely aged like processed cheese.

Young Freud posted:

I don't know, I liked the DC Showcase shorts, particularly the Spectre one with Gary Cole, largely because it was aping a '70s "grindhouse" styles, complete with grain filter and overexposed, bloomed-out look, and all the horror/slasher homages. The Green Arrow one's great because Neil McDonough makes Oliver Queen super-likable.

I had forgotten those. Those indeed were pretty drat good. Neal McDonough makes everyone likable.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When your peers are Power Girl and Wonder Woman, you have to find a way.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Best Batman Power Ranking:

60's Adam West Batman
Tim Burton Batman
Animated Series Batman
Chris Nolan Batman
Rocksteady Video games Batman
Animated movies Batman
[tumble off cliff]
Joel Schumacher Batman
1940s serial films Batman
Comic Books Batman
Alan Moore comic books Batman
Not-Rocksteady Video Games Batman
The Batman
Batman Beyond
The Aurora Theater Shooter
Zack Snyderverse
What's wrong with Batman Beyond?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saw Suicide Squad tonight. It creeps up to the line of Good and then furiously retreats.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

mind the walrus posted:

Don't get me wrong the DCAU stuff is a phenomenal and unprecedented accomplishment of serial storytelling considering it wasn't planned, and the highs are genuinely high (the Cadmus arc in JLU is easily the best DC adaptation outside of the 77 Superman ever), but even the best of it is still a preteen cartoon.

What's funny is that the very best stuff is heavily weighted towards Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, but 99% of people you ask will mention early Batman: The Animated Series despite not having seen it in 20 years, which is historically interesting and has good episodes that ooze style, but has largely aged like processed cheese.

I think people get too wound up over the fact that its for kids. For most of history comic books and comic book characters were made with kids in mind, but fans are loath to admit this, especially with DC for whatever reason, hence Batman's constant juvenile edginess in almost all forms of media he's appeared in since the mid 80s. I kind of like the way the old cartoons just ignore that element. Heck, a lot of the Marvel and Spider man live-action movies are only a little more complex, mature and gritty than the old DC cartoons and I'm not criticizing them for that.

With the Batman animated series though, I think that was a lot more erratic in quality than people remember. Some episodes had absolutely brilliant writing, animation, voice acting, direction etc and others.... less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

I could let it off the hook for wildly misunderstanding the source material if it was a good story in its own right but it really just isn't. There are dozens of individual faults with the plot that I could pick at but the whole package was just so tedious and cringeworthy. The film school guy who criticized Snyder for being all slow-mo money shot and no setup was on target. Kind of like Sucker Punch, I couldn't bring myself to give a poo poo about what was going on because nothing is really set up, no focus is given to any human (or at least humanoid) beings doing human things.

You hit the nail on the head. I usually get pretty anxious and excited when the character is in danger during a movie. I even felt that way during Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue. But during the car chase scene in BvS I felt absolutely nothing. It just seemed like random cars all over the place.

• Locked thread