Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Scyantific posted:

:siren::siren:BUILD TALK: SCYANTIFIC'S SALTY SAP-TANK TM:siren::siren:

Look at my tank. Now look at yours. Mine is better.

Now with 100% more PUG approval!

Stats/Info

The majority of it is self explanatory, but let me touch up on a few points of interest:
  • Head/Shoulders: I flex these two spots a lot given that I have multiple tanking combos that I can run. If I need more defense and faster ultimate generation I roll with Blood Spawn. If I'm in a sustain-heavy fight or we're fighting tons of trash mobs, I run Engine Guardian. Malubeth was something I'm currently testing for PvP purposes and probably won't see much use on a PvE-centric tank. I am also wanting to test Lord Warden Dusk for the AoE Physical and Spell resist boost that it offers in case we're in a stack-and-burn type of situation.

• Main Armor set: Simply put I run Kagrenac's Hope because of the Magicka regen, Health bonus, and spell damage boost. Here's a secret about sap-tanks in general: They're not really tanks. (Yes ennuid, I'm admitting it). We're basically DPS toons with shitloads of resistance, self-heals, running heavy armor, sword and shield, and taking the larger hits. That's probably the main reason I run this build, because I can rotate my gear/skillbars out and run a solid DPS when needed.

Skills
Bar 1:
  • Piece Armor - Basic taunt + Spell and Physical Resist reduction on enemies
  • Refreshing Path - Secondary AoE ability used to draw aggro, and proc my Nightblade's Shadow Barrier passive, increasing my resistances by almost 6k. Also has a heal and speed boost as long as I remain on the path.
  • Sap Essence - My main AoE DPS skill and self/group heal. The beauty of a sap tank (and sap-based nightblade in general) is that they actually get stronger as the number of enemies increases, both increasing my heals and my damage output.
  • Defensive Stance - I run this for two things: for the passive block bonuses (8% increase in block mitigation & 8% decrease in block cost), and as an off-dps/CC ability. With trash mobs I just taunt everything and any ranged mobs stupid enough to fire a projectile at me get it back with a nice stun on top (cherry optional)
  • Stalwart Guard - This is my favorite ability post-DB. It lets me take on 30% of the damage that a party member receives, while granting both of us Minor Force, increasing our critical damage by 12%. This is a pretty hefty DPS boost that will help a lot. Alternatively, if you don't have this skill, you can run Mirage, which gives you Major Evasion, giving you a 20% dodge chance, and also giving you Minor Ward and Minor Resolve, providing a small but semi-useful boost to Armor and Spell Resist.
  • Ultimate: Veil of Blades - This is an AoE that snares, and reduces damage for all party members inside the AoE by 30%. I hardly use it, and only keep it slotted for the Dark Vigor passive, which increases my health for every Shadow class ability I have slotted (I have Refreshing Path and Veil of Blades slotted which gives me a 6% HP boost)

Bar 2:
  • Inner Rage - Ranged taunt. Simple as that. Has a synergy that can be used to trigger an AoE attack centered on the affected target.
  • Funnel Health - I use this to both deal damage on minor bosses, which heals me and a random party member over time. I also use it while weaving light/heavy attacks to quickly build up ultimate, as Funnel also procs the Siphoning passive Transfer, giving me additional ultimate.
  • Heroic Slash - I use this for the Minor Maim and Minor Heroism status effects, which decrease my enemy's damage by 15% and grants me additional ultimate, respectively
  • Siphoning Strikes - This is another staple of Nightblade tanking. Using this skill gives all my attacks a chance to return resources, allowing me to continue a fight for a very long time.
  • Stalwart Guard - Same as bar 1. Guard must be slotted on both bars to maintain the buff
  • Ultimate: Aggressive Horn - Grants all allies in the area a +10% boost to all stats for about 30 seconds, and grants them Major Force for 9 seconds, which increases all critical damage by 30%. Probably the single most useful/required tank ability in the game. In fights where survivability is key, I usually slot Reviving Barrier, which grants allies a gigantic damage shield in addition to proving a massive heal over time.

Any questions/comments/insults, feel free to fling them at me here or in-game.

Postin for my boy DrZaius here (Jeff Goldblum in thread?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

valuum posted:

Going to try pugging the new dungeons now (normal, I'm not insane). Never tried specific dungeons before, I'll report back.

e: 2 hours in the queue for those two, followed by ~2 hours in the queue for a random normal dungeon. Did they gently caress up again? No threads about it on the official forums.

Yes. I've been staying away because of it; waiting in a queue for over an hour as a tank is stupid.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Thursday Next posted:

Yes. I've been staying away because of it; waiting in a queue for over an hour as a tank is stupid.
Worked just fine for me as dps for random dungeons before the patch, popped in a few minutes. There's a thread on the forums about it now, but.. Christ, how many times can they gently caress this thing up.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
I've discovered my new favorite thing is being inside the last remaining keep, when both the other factions decide they no longer want your side to have the Emperor. There were so many zergs throwing themselves at BRK to try and dethrone EP's Emperor last night that we were getting 20k~ AP defense tics.

Also EP's Emperor is kind of a panzy and wouldn't actually pvp or run around and do stuff until he had a full group with him.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hahahahahaha holy poo poo people are pissed off that other people are being smart and running Maw of Lorkhaj at level 10 to farm motifs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
MMO elitism is an unending font of comedy.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Scyantific posted:

Hahahahahaha holy poo poo people are pissed off that other people are being smart and running Maw of Lorkhaj at level 10 to farm motifs.

Like, actually level 10? I've missed this crying. Maybe I should make an alt.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Scyantific posted:

Let's do this. I love motifs and haven't gotten a chance to see the trial yet.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If I decide to grab an ESO plus membership, exactly what DLC does "all the DLC" mean? Specifically, does it come with anything from this: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore/upgrades ?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

jon joe posted:

If I decide to grab an ESO plus membership, exactly what DLC does "all the DLC" mean? Specifically, does it come with anything from this: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore/upgrades ?

None of that. It only includes Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and Shadows of the Hist. What you linked was the Crown Store offerings.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

None of that. It only includes Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and Shadows of the Hist. What you linked was the Crown Store offerings.

Then is it the case that I cannot become a vampire or werewolf without purchasing those options, or is that merely "give me those skill trees on demand"?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

jon joe posted:

Then is it the case that I cannot become a vampire or werewolf without purchasing those options, or is that merely "give me those skill trees on demand"?

Literally just "gimme gimme"

Vamp bites are pretty much handed out like candies as long as you're patient.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I bought the imperial edition for cheap right before this went B2P but never really got far because I was on EU knew noone and the LFG tool was poo poo. If I were to break down and start playing on NA are there any people around - at like this time of day?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hamburger Test posted:

I bought the imperial edition for cheap right before this went B2P but never really got far because I was on EU knew noone and the LFG tool was poo poo. If I were to break down and start playing on NA are there any people around - at like this time of day?

Yeah there are usually a few goons on around this time of day.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I might give it a try then.

I'm really surprised that it needs to redownload the entire client though.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So downloading the game, trying to figure out what class I want to commit too. Are they all fairly balanced or are some more face roll than others? I seem to remember people making GBS threads on tanks that weren't DK or healers that weren't Templar. Also in this game would you start with a "leveling" build then switch to your tank/healer/dps role once your 50 or is it fine to just level as those from the start?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Literally just "gimme gimme"

Vamp bites are pretty much handed out like candies as long as you're patient.
And we have multiple werewolves and a few vampires to provide one for free in the guild. :drac:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Can someone please invite @thasnazzle1

I just finished the 14 hours of downloading and installing and I'm having a curiously good time with the game, I like that it bucks so many of the stale MMO tropes. I just stole a greater soul gem from the mystic shop and feel rad as hell.

I'm kinda doing a bow mage thing with a minion? We'll see how it works!?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm having some download problems that are apparently pretty common. Does anyone have the following file: depot_141to142.z01

It would be in your path\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot if you did

Thanks!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Is there any kind of organized goon presence on the PS4 side of things?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i play on ps4, psn is SuperFiveFive

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Just started playing on PC, user name is @Daruji. I'd love an invite to goon guilds. Mostly soloing and crafting until I get a desktop built that can handle more action than my laptop can.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

Can someone please invite @thasnazzle1

I just finished the 14 hours of downloading and installing and I'm having a curiously good time with the game, I like that it bucks so many of the stale MMO tropes. I just stole a greater soul gem from the mystic shop and feel rad as hell.

I'm kinda doing a bow mage thing with a minion? We'll see how it works!?

Account not found, you on NA PC?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Coldforge posted:

Is there any kind of organized goon presence on the PS4 side of things?

Not really. There are some guilds but no one is ever on that hasn't dropped from them yet. I'm still in the EP one and haven't seen anyone one in months. All the active players have moved to greener pastures.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
@SplendidBowman on NA.

Farting around on a NB.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

This was 50% off so I gave it a shot, I'm @BrainInAJar – chuck me an invite please!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Need to do VetDSA soon, final chest is a guaranteed Master drop + it's fun again.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
omg, please goons, pvp, so many tears to be farmed

e: i'd like to tell you stories, but there's just so many pubbies in this game, please help me kill them

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 6, 2016

Foppington
Feb 11, 2013

Neon Dreams
I'm up for it at EU Primetime. I've never done it before. Form your very own pet goon's PvP habits!

Discord is what's being used? Need to get from 8 to 10 fast.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Account not found, you on NA PC?

Whoops, forgot the underscore, please invite @tha_snazzle1

(it's a dumb achewood joke)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Two things:

1) Got this re-downloaded, whew. NA, @SirJonJoe

2) What's the best purchase with my 1500 crowns + 500 crowns I already had?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Beach Party posted:

So downloading the game, trying to figure out what class I want to commit too. Are they all fairly balanced or are some more face roll than others? I seem to remember people making GBS threads on tanks that weren't DK or healers that weren't Templar. Also in this game would you start with a "leveling" build then switch to your tank/healer/dps role once your 50 or is it fine to just level as those from the start?

I'm in the same boat, downloaded the game to give it a fair go. After 60 gigs of downloads I am still paralyzed with indecision on class, which seems like the only permanent thing you can't change along the way. I like throwing spells, healing, and dual wield looks cool. That kinda looks like Templar, but when everything can do sorta everything it makes it tough to make a decision.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
This is why God invented alts.

I just rolled a sorc cause I love flinging spells. I think all the classes are viable

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Eltoasto posted:

I'm in the same boat, downloaded the game to give it a fair go. After 60 gigs of downloads I am still paralyzed with indecision on class, which seems like the only permanent thing you can't change along the way. I like throwing spells, healing, and dual wield looks cool. That kinda looks like Templar, but when everything can do sorta everything it makes it tough to make a decision.

Templar is possibly the most maleable class in the game. You can heal, tank and DPS all in one depending on how you spec. You should focus on one task at a time or you're gonna gimp yourself, but Templar inherently has the tools for all of them. Play around and have fun with it. The only thing set in stone nowadays is Class and Templar is a drat good one to be stuck with.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

All valid points, but keep in mind that dragonknight can jump on top of people.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Berke Negri posted:

All valid points, but keep in mind that dragonknight can jump on top of people.

I named my Khajiit Dragon Knight "Jumps-High"

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well apparently my first quest is figuring out how to log in to the game since it just times out no matter how i launch it, fun! Can log into the web account just fine, activated the key from steam, created a shortcut from the launcher.

E: looks like it's a server thing, well that's somewhat of a relief.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 6, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Eltoasto posted:

Well apparently my first quest is figuring out how to log in to the game since it just times out no matter how i launch it, fun! Can log into the web account just fine, activated the key from steam, created a shortcut from the launcher.

I think the server is down, happened to all of us after doing a dungeon today.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Started about an hour ago.
Posted a couple of minutes ago:

quote:

Another update: We're going to reboot the server shortly, so we're looking at an hour or so. Thanks for your patience, guys. We know it's frustrating to not be able to play on a Saturday.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3240889/#Comment_3240889

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Ugggghg.

• Locked thread