Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Radioactive Toy posted:

They are exact copies of the two decks that faced each other in the championships last year but with full card art (and maybe some alt-art cards? not sure). https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/11/run-like-a-champ/

Just be aware that there's a very sloppy misprint in the runner deck.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/4vwafg/is_it_just_me_or_did_queens_gambit_suddenly_get_a/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

silvergoose posted:

Yeah? Well we're jealous too holy god.

Ask Tekopo that he can meet Volko or Vlaada, but not both. Watch him struggle with his own personal Sophie's Choice.

Also what is it with "V" people in this hobby being the best designers

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

For the record, Queens Gambit is supposed to cost 0 not 3. Which is a pretty big misprint!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MikeCrotch posted:

Ask Tekopo that he can meet Volko or Vlaada, but not both. Watch him struggle with his own personal Sophie's Choice.

Also what is it with "V" people in this hobby being the best designers
Pffft, if Rachel Simmons was in the room I wouldn't even give either of those any consideration.

Impermanent posted:

There's a new board game interest profile here: https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/tabletop/
These guys did that video gamer profile maker, maybe if we get enough goons on here the ~hivemind's~ tastes will spread further.

I'm a High Conflict, Strategic, Grounded, and Independent gamer, or a nerd.
I tried this and I dunno how well it worked for me, I got High Conflict, Strategic, and Independent. But I like pretty much everything: party games, wargames, euros etc, things with nice aesthetics, things without aesthetics, so some of the choices i had to make didn't really reflect my actual opinion, without picking the middle of the road every time.

Also, if you score high conflict, the paragraph has this to say:

"Conversely, these gamers dislike games that restrict player interactions where each player is largely walled off in their own world (such as Agricola)"

I have a feeling that, based on the above, these people don't really know what the hell they are talking about.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 5, 2016

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
If you ever get the chance, you'd better tell her to reprint the drat napoleon games

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I got relaxed and grounded. I like games with strategy and pretty artwork.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Impermanent posted:

There's a new board game interest profile here: https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/tabletop/

I'm Low Conflict, High Strategic.

Because every time I play a high conflict game with my friends they screw me over specifically :argh:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I got low to average scores on everything but Conflict, where I got 85%. Seems about right, really.
And apparently this means I would enjoy Smash Up. Should I get Smash Up, thread? :kiddo:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Smash Up is not a very well balanced game.

Also the website doesn't really account for wargamers. There's no "Do you have a legitimate sense of superiority over other board gamers?" question.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Tekopo posted:

Smash Up is not a very well balanced game.

Also the website doesn't really account for wargamers. There's no "Do you have a legitimate sense of superiority over other board gamers?" question.

That's because the survey was for people who actually play games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Durendal posted:

That's because the survey was for people who actually play games.
:boom:

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Almost lost my poo poo reading, "For gamers who score high on Social Fun ... [t]hey enjoy games like Exploding Kittens, Codenames, or Time's Up."

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Esposito posted:

Almost lost my poo poo reading, "For gamers who score high on Social Fun ... [t]hey enjoy games like Exploding Kittens, Codenames, or Time's Up."

I'm apparently very low on Social, despite my favourite games being cooperative, having hidden roles or giving the excuse for massive amounts of shittalking. :confused:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

cenotaph posted:

Would they play well against each other?

Not really. The Runner deck particular is pretty gimmicky and probably a negative play experience for players who sit down expecting to play some Netrunner.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wizard Styles posted:

I got low to average scores on everything but Conflict, where I got 85%. Seems about right, really.
And apparently this means I would enjoy Smash Up. Should I get Smash Up, thread? :kiddo:

Smash Up looks fun to play, but once you do its a friggin mess. Keeping track of the battle power totals in each area is a nightmare, "does this pile have 12, or was it 15? Better count it up again!" :suicide:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Pffft, if Rachel Simmons was in the room I wouldn't even give either of those any consideration.

Same, and why should Tek tell her to reprint NT? He already has a copy!

Just kidding, just kidding.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

cenotaph posted:

Would they play well against each other?

I don't think so. The runner deck is very aggressive and you just drain the corp to 0 credits(even when they are at one) and then you trash all the corp cards using Data Leak Reversal. For newer players, it isn't very intuitive.

The corp deck is decent however it is illegal in tournament play due to current card restrictions. I wouldn't use them as duel decks either due to the Runner deck.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 5, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Not really. The Runner deck particular is pretty gimmicky and probably a negative play experience for players who sit down expecting to play some Netrunner.

Yeah the Corp deck is pretty decent but the Runner deck relies on exploiting a gimmick that was later errata'd to mill out the corp while crushing them into the ground. (Also in terms of tournament play neither is technically legal since they introduced and then expanded a restricted list increasing influence cost of certain cards, and errata'd Wireless Net Pavilion to be unique. That said picking up Order and Chaos, replacing Val, Blackmails, Drug Dealers, Faust and probably Off-Campus Apartment with MaxX and Eater makes a legal deck that is less annoying and probably better in the current meta.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The rest of that survey was nonsense but 100% on systems discovery and I'm glad they put that in because I certainly enjoy learning about new board games (even if they're old games) more than I enjoy playing them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Impermanent posted:

I'm "Relaxed, Immersed, and Gregarious." These guys don't know me very well...

That's my secret goony shame is that I don't want to crush my enemies, I just want everyone to have fun :negative:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

al-azad posted:

The rest of that survey was nonsense but 100% on systems discovery and I'm glad they put that in because I certainly enjoy learning about new board games (even if they're old games) more than I enjoy playing them.

My good man, have you tried wargaming?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

These guys did that video gamer profile maker, maybe if we get enough goons on here the ~hivemind's~ tastes will spread further.

I have contributed Talisman and Tanto Cuore to their database of good games. According to my board gaming psychological profile I like everything, so hopefully it will recommend these gems to everyone:

In other news. I have explored all of the Tanto Cuore cards, and there are a few Dominion staple that it is missing. I can't very well just buy Dominion expansions and play them with Tanto Cuore (well I could, the game is almost identical). I have decided it would be best if I instead "ported" a few Dominion staples over to Tanto Cuore. Dominion has a lot of boring chaff cards, but I think adding the cream of the crop to Tanto Cuore will really strengthen it. I've got a few test cards done (using Magic set creator of course, so easy!):

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Now you're just trying too hard.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

turn left rutibex nooooo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

My good man, have you tried wargaming?

Yessir. My purchases for the year have included Cuba Libre, Guns of Gettysburg, Here I Stand, the 70s Starship Troopers, Freedom in the Galaxy, Talon, Sekigahara, Navajo Wars, Wizard's Quest, and Maria with Successors, Conquests of Paradise, Raid on St. Nazaire, Wizard Kings, and Wir Sind Das Volk on the short list of future buys.

I really need to get onboard with online gaming because I have no one to play my weird poo poo with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh man 70s Starship Troopers is such a cool game, the Bugs have to draw out their underground tunnels secretly and can pop up and strike out from them as the MI have to pin down their location. Plus the art is the most hilariously seventies thing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

berenzen posted:

Sorry, I'm really bored. The summer semester is over and I don't have anything to do for like 4 weeks :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

Sorry, I'm really bored. The summer semester is over and I don't have anything to do for like 4 weeks :shrug:

Make me a copy of food chain magnate

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

StashAugustine posted:

turn left rutibex nooooo

berenzen posted:

Just ignore him.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Make me a copy of food chain magnate
:ninja:
I wasn't going to post about that project, I was afraid I might get in trouble. That game has an absurd price for what you get in the box.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

:ninja:
I wasn't going to post about that project, I was afraid I might get in trouble. That game has an absurd price for what you get in the box.

Deal. But I'm not paying you for it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Oh man 70s Starship Troopers is such a cool game, the Bugs have to draw out their underground tunnels secretly and can pop up and strike out from them as the MI have to pin down their location. Plus the art is the most hilariously seventies thing

Yep. As much as I like the Verhoeven movie I really hope the rumored reboot looks back to 60s and 70s sci-fi with big bulky space men suits and the bugs looking like some kid's doodles in his composition notebook.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Deal. But I'm not paying you for it.

Everyone pays. You must win one full game of Talisman (will all expansions) to receive your game :rolldice:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

Everyone pays. You must win one full game of Talisman (will all expansions) to receive your game :rolldice:

Sounds suspiciously like copyright.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Sounds suspiciously like copyright.

You are free to copy my designs all you want. However I am a craftsman of artisanal Board Games, and that commands a premium if you want an original work.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Impermanent posted:

I got 97th percentile for systems discovery and pretty much everything else was really low. I don't like games, I like rulebooks.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Speaking of Talisman, the Steam version finally released the DLC that contains the hidden final objective "whoever makes it to the end first loses".

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Countblanc posted:

Also I want to hear more about that game someone posted about a few pages back where you can be a cave or a dragon.

I got to sit down with one of the creators yesterday and play a round, but it wasn't really enough time to get a feel for how the game flows. I did buy a copy though so hopefully I can break that out before the weekend's over.

The Knight seems to revolve around using action points to move around the cave and acquire treasure that will help you kill the Dragon. You start with two action points and earn more as you acquire Grit (EXP), and as you advance you gain abilities and equipment like bombs, a shield, etc. Win condition: Kill the Dragon.

The Dragon didn't get to do much during our one round, but it looks like there are only a handful of abilities they can use. The Dragon will use those abilities against the Goblins to transition from the slumbering phase to the awakened phase, when they'll be able to escape. Win condition: Wake up and escape the cave.

The Goblins look sort of nuts. They have a big stack of monsters that they can place on their board as one of three Tribes. Throughout the game they'll add attributes to their monsters, who will spawn on specific tiles that the Cave lays down depending on what Tribe they belong to. Their monsters attack against the Knight's strength value, and after an attack that monster scatters and is removed from the map. Win condition: Kill the Knight.

The Cave is what I'm looking forward to playing the most. Each turn it looks like they get a stack of double-sided tiles: on one side is terrain that can cause an effect when the Knight moves onto the tile, and on the other side is the symbol for a Goblin's monster Tribe. The tiles are out down on the map with the Tribe symbol up, representing an unexplored portion of the map. Until the Knight enters that tile, Goblins can spawn their monsters there if their Tribe corresponds to the tile's icon. After the Cave places all the map tiles they can begin the collapse phase to actively kill the other players. Win condition: Place all the map tiles and collapse.

There's also a Thief, but the designer didn't want us to play with him for the sake of showing off the game without getting too heavy. From what I've seen, the Thief will be moving around the map and collecting treasure while avoiding the rest of the players. Win condition: Collect 6 treasure and escape, I think?

It seems like there's a lot of rules to learn, especially since each of the five roles plays completely differently. There are double-sided rule sheets for each character, but thankfully each of their player boards has a recap of what their goal is and what they can do on their turn. It also seems easy to mess up setup, since there appear to be unique additions and subtractions to the board when certain roles don't have a player.

Finally, there's a solo mode and there are difficulty cards, as well as a suggestion for a campaign mode. There seems like there's a lot of content in the box, but as of right now I haven't gotten a great feel for how it plays. I got two promo Treasure cards for buying at Gen Con, and I overheard the crew saying if they sell out they should have another print in three months or so.

Millions fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 5, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Millions posted:

I got to sit down with one of the creators yesterday and play a round, but it wasn't really enough time to get a feel for how the game flows. I did buy a copy though so hopefully I can break that out before the weekend's over.

The Knight seems to revolve around using action points to move around the cave and acquire treasure that will help you kill the Dragon. You start with two action points and earn more as you acquire Grit (EXP), and as you advance you gain abilities and equipment like bombs, a shield, etc. Win condition: Kill the Dragon.

The Dragon didn't get to do much during our one round, but it looks like there are only a handful of abilities they can use. The Dragon will use those abilities against the Goblins to transition from the slumbering phase to the awakened phase, when they'll be able to escape. Win condition: Wake up and escape the cave.

The Goblins look sort of nuts. They have a big stack of monsters that they can place on their board as one of three Tribes. Throughout the game they'll add attributes to their monsters, who will spawn on specific tiles that the Cave lays down depending on what Tribe they belong to. Their monsters attack against the Knight's strength value, and after an attack that monster scatters and is removed from the map. Win condition: Kill the Knight.

The Cave is what I'm looking forward to playing the most. Each turn it looks like they get a stack of double-sided tiles: on one side is terrain that can cause an effect when the Knight moves onto the tile, and on the other side is the symbol for a Goblin's monster Tribe. The tiles are out down on the map with the Tribe symbol up, representing an unexplored portion of the map. Until the Knight enters that tile, Goblins can spawn their monsters there if their Tribe corresponds to the tile's icon. After the Cave places all the map tiles they can begin the collapse phase to actively kill the other players. Win condition: Place all the map tiles and collapse.

There's also a Thief, but the designer didn't want us to play with him for the sake of showing off the game without getting too heavy. From what I've seen, the Thief will be moving around the map and collecting treasure while avoiding the rest of the players. Win condition: Collect 6 treasure and escape, I think?

It seems like there's a lot of rules to learn, especially since each of the five roles plays completely differently. There are double-sided rule sheets for each character, but thankfully each of their player boards has a recap of what their goal is and what they can do on their turn. It also seems easy to mess up setup, since there appear to be unique additions and subtractions to the board when certain roles don't have a player.

Finally, there's a solo mode and there are difficulty cards, as well as a suggestion for a campaign mode. There seems like there's a lot of content in the box, but as of right now I haven't gotten a great feel for how it plays. I got two promo Treasure cards for buying at Gen Con, and I overheard the crew saying if they sell out they should have another print in three months or so.
I love asymmetrical game and this sounds awesome, I might need to have a look at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Tekopo posted:

I love asymmetrical game and this sounds awesome, I might need to have a look at it!

What's the game called? I am highly intrigued also!