Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I had fun in the new zone and I don't have advanced or leyline gliding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congratulations, I didn't at all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think if you get lean gliding you need to make a rush for advanced gliding or your fun levels in HOTS are gonna drop, I know mine did because leaning forward would take you a shorter distance then not leaning and drop you in front of updrafts you should of made and if you got a habit of holding down W while moving forward it's not going to be a fun time.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The more i play this game the more i enjoy it and all its unique mechanics. The event system as a main grouping mechanic and questing mechanic instead of singleplayer quests and 5 man dungeons suits me perfectly and i wish more MMOs did this.
I also really like how all classes have unique mechanics and/or resources. Well done ANET.

I am still not able to settle down on a class to play though.
My 80s with fully unlocked elite specialization are druid, revenant, elementalist and mesmer. I have tried all the other classes in the PVP lobby and they don't really interest me so whatever fun i get out of this game must happen on one of the 4 classes i now have.

-The Revenant was a blast to level but not fun at all in HoT events.

-The druid was fun to level and sounds like a suitable class for me with its support and healing capabilities but i couldn't find the fun in it. The celestial form being on a cooldown is such a let down.

-The elementalist was a joyride during leveling and its the class i have had the most fun with in HoT, playing an auramancer. Having a bunch of buffs and heals on short cooldowns is quite fun and it feels like i am really contributing, be it in fractals, dungeons or pve events. I am dying way too much though, and that is killing my enjoyment of the class bigtime. If i get hit by a single mini kamikaze elemental during bloodstone fens blood elemental champion events i am dead, because i will get knocked around by bomb after bomb until downed state then death, without being able to do anything about it.

-The mesmer is a really interesting class and maybe the most unique class i have played in a MMO. It is aparently a great support character but i am unable to find a build that does what i want. I want to keep playing PVE open map events and be a support class (boon giver) while retaining some ability to solo (can be separate builds). The 100% quickness uptime and the boonshare genre of builds seems interesting however all the builds i can find seems to be either specifically tailored for raiding (and tanking therein), WvW or high end fractals. e.g. dependant on a big stationary target so they can keep illusions up more easily, or other mechanics that are lacking in PVE events. None of the builds i can find seems suitable for the content i enjoy (open world events) while providing the kind of gameplay i enjoy (support)
The chronomancer support builds are also highly dependant on boon duration of which both commander and minstrel prefixes are extremely expensive to craft even as exotic items (commander has ludicrously expensive recipes, minstrel insignias are super expensive). Wanderer's, another prefix with boon duration, is a lot cheaper. Quite affordable, even.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

Any tips for getting around Bloodstone Fen when you're only workin' with updrafts? Because hoo boy, that was a fun adventure last night. I don't think I managed to locate a single event, though I only tried for a half hour or so.

Seems like a really, really cool zone, though.

You really Really *REALLY* want advanced gliding, as it makes getting to that next updraft far away trivial, which makes navigation in the eastern floaty islands of Bloodstone Fen trivial. You do not at all need leyline gliding. In fact i find it quite detrimental; 90% of the time i find myself in a leyline it is because i accidentally touched it while trying to go "through" it. I wish there was a button i could hold down to not get sucked up into a leyline at times.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To what degree are people exaggerating how much XP Bloodstone Fen events throw at you? Because I can't decide between finishing up the HoT story first, or just running the event chain in Bloodstone Fen to beeline to advanced gliding ASAP.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

To what degree are people exaggerating how much XP Bloodstone Fen events throw at you? Because I can't decide between finishing up the HoT story first, or just running the event chain in Bloodstone Fen to beeline to advanced gliding ASAP.

I've been half-assedly playing Bloodstone Fen for about 40 minutes and wracked up somewhere around 200k-250k XP.

(by half-assedly playing I mean I'm scanning LFG for groups with the Jade Guardian chain coming up, joining them, and doing Unbound Guardian then going afk until I see another group on LFG)

E: Also if you play BFS a bunch and like it you can pay 1k Unbound Magic and 5g for a permanent +10% XP bonus in the zone, and it can be repurchased twice for a total +30% bonus

E2: One of the very common event rewards is a Pamphlet of Wisdom that gives 25k XP

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 4, 2016

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Harrow posted:

you get close to 3000 xp for literally just flying into a single unbound magic

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Magres posted:

E: Also if you play BFS a bunch and like it you can pay 1k Unbound Magic and 5g for a permanent +10% XP bonus in the zone, and it can be repurchased twice for a total +30% bonus

The second and third purchases do cost more, though; second is 5k and 10g, third is 10k and 15g.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Max Peck posted:

The second and third purchases do cost more, though; second is 5k and 10g, third is 10k and 15g.

wow, wtf?

I'm really glad I didn't impulse buy that first tier last night because I'm essentially poor (like 30g) and just wanted to get these mastery tiers leveled up a little faster. I was close to having enough unbound magic for all three of those, or so I thought. That would have been a swift kick in the balls to see the prices jump so much

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Those LS fights were you have to drag the bloodstone beam around to kill shields were much tougher on my Tempest in Berzerker's than my minion master Reaper in Rampager's. I was almost in broken gear by the end.
The beam slows and damages you over time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

you get close to 3000 xp for literally just flying into a single unbound magic

Are you those affected by boosters? i haven't tried but man that would own

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Aleph Null posted:

Those LS fights were you have to drag the bloodstone beam around to kill shields were much tougher on my Tempest in Berzerker's than my minion master Reaper in Rampager's. I was almost in broken gear by the end.
The beam slows and damages you over time.

I don't remember damage or slows from the bloodstone beams after I popped countermagic, indeed the opposite - countermagicing it gave quickness. Am I just crazy and making poo poo up?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

You really want the counter magic mastery unlocked for those fights. Then just hit - and the beam stops damaging you (while still doing what it's supposed to to mobs).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the counter magic mastery also takes like 3 seconds to fill up

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Can you even do that mission without counter magic? I remember that being an objective.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I used my Level 80 boost to make a new Guardian and want to go whole-hog with Dragon Hunter.

Starting from scratch, what should I do? What gear stats, build, weapon sets, the whole thing. I know nothing of the class.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ineptitude posted:

-The elementalist was a joyride during leveling and its the class i have had the most fun with in HoT, playing an auramancer. Having a bunch of buffs and heals on short cooldowns is quite fun and it feels like i am really contributing, be it in fractals, dungeons or pve events. I am dying way too much though, and that is killing my enjoyment of the class bigtime. If i get hit by a single mini kamikaze elemental during bloodstone fens blood elemental champion events i am dead, because i will get knocked around by bomb after bomb until downed state then death, without being able to do anything about it.

Yes that is the joy of playing an elementalist. It would be nice if they could develop some spec that would actually be fun for open world stuff, but anything like that turns into an unstoppable bunker spec in spvp. I would recommend making marauder gear if you want to try using it for open world stuff, but even then it only helps a small amount.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Thanks for yet another fun WvWednesday everyone, shame about all the stupid map queues though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

DonVincenzo posted:

Thanks for yet another fun WvWednesday everyone, shame about all the stupid map queues though.

It was! And you'll be happy to know Don that Arus paid a karmic price for constantly being so mean to you, and went on to shoot a record worst 534 in golf with friends.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I wanna get back into this game and I'm stuck between Warrior or Revenant. What should I go as? :v: Last I heard warriors sucked and Guardians were magnificently OP. Is this still true?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I don't think that was ever true, but people like to make their own rating scales for classes, like "who has the most particle effects?" "which can I be the most vaguely successful with if I don't actually use any of my abilities?" etc.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you those affected by boosters? i haven't tried but man that would own

That's about what I got with only the perma guild booster. Well semi-perma, it doesn't cost anything.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

you should try gliding yourself into a better game

like eso

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Inzombiac posted:

I used my Level 80 boost to make a new Guardian and want to go whole-hog with Dragon Hunter.

Starting from scratch, what should I do? What gear stats, build, weapon sets, the whole thing. I know nothing of the class.

There's two main ways of going about a Dragonhunter:

1. Lift an appropriate build off Metabattle

or

2. Acquire an understanding of the entirety of the class's toolkit, allowing you to easily tailor your build as seen fit (reading guides can help with this)

Both of these are about equally effective, do whichever feels right for you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I wanna get back into this game and I'm stuck between Warrior or Revenant. What should I go as? :v: Last I heard warriors sucked and Guardians were magnificently OP. Is this still true?

Make a warrior.

I'm working on having a warrior of every race.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Hey Waci, I'm considering grabbing another character slot in order to make a thief. How does this make you feel?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

I am still not able to settle down on a class to play though.

You don't have to do that in this game.

I can't remember this ever being true. Guardians have been the forgotten class since HoT came out, and warriors have been op forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Adhesive Gamin posted:

There's two main ways of going about a Dragonhunter:

1. Lift an appropriate build off Metabattle

or

2. Acquire an understanding of the entirety of the class's toolkit, allowing you to easily tailor your build as seen fit (reading guides can help with this)

Both of these are about equally effective, do whichever feels right for you.

Listen here, buckaroo.
I don't need your reasonable and measured advice around these parts. I just need someone to hold my hand like a little lovely baby to the goal while I nap and poop myself.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Listen here, buckaroo.
I don't need your reasonable and measured advice around these parts. I just need someone to hold my hand like a little lovely baby to the goal while I nap and poop myself.

Same but unironically

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Guardian is good but not unreasonably so. After the last patch everything is pretty balanced. The handful of exceptions would be for role-specific builds which generally only matter in raids and class-specific gimmicks.

You should roll a guardian though because the sword buffs are cool as heck.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Anyone waiting to get into SFD has been invited, enjoy.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

SlothBear posted:

You don't have to do that in this game.

Maybe YOU don't.

I find a lot more enjoyment from MMORPGs when playing a "main", learning that class very well and doing all i can on that class as opposed to either leveling a bunch of alts and/or swapping between a few alts all the time based on the type of content im doing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CLAM DOWN posted:

trolls are supposed to be funny, go home and eat your wheaties nilgoow

fats are supposed to be jolly

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kajeesus posted:

fats are supposed to be jolly

nilgoow tests even the jolliest of fatties

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Listen here, buckaroo.
Get zerk armor. Get a hammer. Get a scepter and a torch. Play hammer if you just want to afk and give protection, play scepter/torch if you want to mash the 4 button to throw fireballs a lot. If you hate scepter and want to do less dps at less range you can use sword instead. Put Bane Signet on your bar, use shelter as a heal, get used to switching your other utilities based on the situation, the most useful ones are Retreat, Stand Your Ground, Procession of Blades and Wall of Reflection. For traits just check metabattle. Also the most important part: Never bring your guardian into fractals.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Ley line is fun but not super necessary, in fact it's kind of a pain in the arse at times.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

While we're talking about Bloodstone Fen, in case anyone in the thread didn't know you can get keys from map completing it and it's faster to complete than Southsun Cove so it's worth running all your alts through before they remember why they changed Southsun Cove's rewards. Also you get five Bloodstone per map complete but I doubt they'll change that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

While we're talking about Bloodstone Fen, in case anyone in the thread didn't know you can get keys from map completing it and it's faster to complete than Southsun Cove so it's worth running all your alts through before they remember why they changed Southsun Cove's rewards. Also you get five Bloodstone per map complete but I doubt they'll change that.

I already did this on all my characters but then I got a thought: do you get the same rewards on a non-level 80 character? As in, would it be worth it to create characters for a quick Bloodstone fen clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Logged on this morning to find an sfd invite a Cool Letter in my mailbox. Pretty awesome

You guys are still primarily on maguuma right? I'm probably gonna get a server transfer at some point, because wvw sounds really fun and playing in a group is much more appealing than getting mad at solo mode

• Locked thread