Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kai Tave posted:

Just as with regular lootboxes you are never guaranteed to get anything, the exception is at least one thing in each summer lootbox will be a summer loot item, most of which are still sprays and icons.

Of course. Literally all I want is the Sweden Torb but that's not gonna happen. Buying stuff with coins is the only reliable part of this awful system, and taking that away so people fall prey to gambling is a pretty gross business tactic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Internet Kraken posted:

Of course. Literally all I want is the Sweden Torb but that's not gonna happen. Buying stuff with coins is the only reliable part of this awful system, and taking that away so people fall prey to gambling is a pretty gross business tactic!

I got the Swedish Torb skin.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The only legendary I've got during these summer games was Commando 76 which is kind of nice but seriously :argh:

The rest has just been the usual 3 greys and one blue whoopdy loving do.

This wouldn't be such a crapshoot if there was a trading system in place where you could trade poo poo with other players like you can do on steam with csgo and tf2 items, or even if you could use blizzcoins to buy that goddamn American McCree, but no.

I don't even play McCree but I need that skin. I need it more than I need Korean :dva:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How much have you spent on lootboxes? How much did you spend on wow mounts?

The first step is admitting it

That's not the same thing by a long shot though; The WoW mounts are a straight purchase - you drop money, you get your mount. The lootboxes are pure random chance.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I accidentally spent $20 on the new boxes but I got a bunch of cool stuff.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Laputanmachine posted:

The only legendary I've got during these summer games was Commando 76 which is kind of nice but seriously :argh:

nothing like seeing 2 blues and a purp skyrocket into an air and your summer games loot was the white item

then my friend gets flag mccree and my patriotism boner goes flatline, knowing i will never get that skin and become a true american hero

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Minrad posted:

nothing like seeing 2 blues and a purp skyrocket into an air and your summer games loot was the white item

then my friend gets flag mccree and my patriotism boner goes flatline, knowing i will never get that skin and become a true american hero

I got that skin. :smug:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
This business model exists because of you people with terrible self control. I'm blaming you, not blizzard.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Minrad posted:

It also has the best gun in the entire game:

I'm somewhat sad it doesn't change the bullet sound to be that of a bald eagle shrieking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

open up a loot box and see a legendary and a purple, get excited, see it's a mei skin and a lucio emote and die a little inside

gimme that american mccree game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

open up a loot box and see a legendary and a purple, get excited, see it's a mei skin and a lucio emote and die a little inside

gimme that american mccree game

Congratulations on your Mei skin

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I spent my first 1k blizzard coins on a Mei skin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like her purple skins a lot more than her legendaries tbh

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Yeah, Snow Plum is cool, the legendaries just seem overdesigned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Do they change some of the voice lines with the Olympics costumes or does Tracer normally yell "FALSE START!" after rewinding?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The only good thing from this batch is the American Mcree Presents Alice in Wonderland skin.

Also, the whole industry shift to real-money random chance crates is deplorable and you're a horrible person if you support such systems.
Blizzard could have taken the highroad and sold by means of a DLC pack or A la Carte, but nope.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FAUXTON posted:

Do they change some of the voice lines with the Olympics costumes or does Tracer normally yell "FALSE START!" after rewinding?

Tracer has a few new ones:

"Remember to stretch"
"Looks like I hit the wall

Those are the two I know of.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Several of the legendary skins seem to have one or two lines attached to it. There are the obvious ones (devil/imp Mercy and wolf Hanzo) but every now and then there is one that surprises me. Yesterday at the start of Gibraltar I heard a Soldier: 76 with the Night Ops skin say "welcome to the Rock".

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Ddraig posted:

Tracer has a few new ones:

"Remember to stretch"
"Looks like I hit the wall

Those are the two I know of.

I think she's also been saying "And I'm back in the race!" when I respawn with her, and I think that used to be 'back in the game'? I don't know, I like her more when I don't listen to her talk.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Did you know Gibraltar means 'Jabal Tariq' in Spanish?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
El Dorado is Spanish for "The Dorado"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jeez just had a guy intentionally choose torb and build senteries at spawn, then choose mei and try to wall in his own teams ults so we couldn't win. He shouted every racial epithet and abusive language he could think of in all chat, left the game..came back and dared everyone to report him, which I think they did.

What are the odds this piece of poo poo is disciplined? This was comp too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Jeez just had a guy intentionally choose torb and build senteries at spawn, then choose mei and try to wall in his own teams ults so we couldn't win. He shouted every racial epithet and abusive language he could think of in all chat, left the game..came back and dared everyone to report him, which I think they did.

Well, what do you think?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Blizzard doesn't send you a notice that your report was acted on but they do respond to them with punishment, if the whininess on battlenet forums is an indication.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Dude has his trolling confused. A good Mei or Torb has your teammates melting down at you.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Ddraig posted:

It also has the best gun in the entire game:

I'm somewhat sad it doesn't change the bullet sound to be that of a bald eagle shrieking.

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RArGl2vkGI

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah the typical "bald eagle screech" you hear in movies/tv is actually a red tailed hawk

'merica

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

neonbregna posted:

Dude has his trolling confused. A good Mei or Torb has your teammates melting down at you.

He was the opposite of good.

Also sorry RBX for getting frustrated. It was exactly as I posted and it came to fruition.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is it too much to have a "Don't play with this dude ever again button." at least in quickplay. The amount of salt in this game rivals every single MOBA I've ever played.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

KildarX posted:

Is it too much to have a "Don't play with this dude ever again button." at least in quickplay. The amount of salt in this game rivals every single MOBA I've ever played.

There used to be one and turns out it would have turned matchmaking into an eventual clusterfuck because people avoided players who were really good (which in turn led to those really good players suffering long queues before being matched with players who were worse. You can imagine the vicious circle here).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The actual situation was that one of the world's best widowmaker players was getting avoided by people, even in their bracket, and rather than that person thinking "Maybe I should play a less unfun class" or Blizzard thinking "Maybe we should look at this unfun class" they decided to remove a genuinely useful tool from the game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It should be like "no one wants to play witn this dude" "oh, otherwise it's gonna put him against a bunch of scrubs" "ok sorry but for real you gotta play against this dude, even if he has saltmouth"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
"Sorry but you're too good, bitch"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Or just have a separate queue for all those people who have somehow managed to be avoided by 90% of the playerbase they play with so they can stew in a hell of their own making.

The Low-Priority Queue is one of the best things ever introduced into competitive online games and more companies need to steal it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I avoided good Widowmakers all the time because they simply aren't fun to play against.

Snipers were a mistake.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

There used to be one and turns out it would have turned matchmaking into an eventual clusterfuck because people avoided players who were really good (which in turn led to those really good players suffering long queues before being matched with players who were worse. You can imagine the vicious circle here).

Yea, that's why it should only apply to Quickplay. If the dudes so good that even people who are really good are like "nope go away" then that guy should go play competitive, and leave us nice scrub folks alone, and if the dudes so salty that people don't wanna play with him, then he should go play competitive and be salty.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 5, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mierenneuker posted:

I still adore that story, if you are so good that no one wants to play with you then you should probably quit the game because you already beat it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't think that would be that much of a problem these days since Widowmaker can't shut down entire games so easily anymore.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe require a report to be filed in order to avoid that player? You can't report for "Being too good", so they would be ignored by a supposed administrator (lol it seems to be automated), and those that are genuinely toxic would be under more scrutiny.

I mean I suppose that COULD work, but I dislike the idea of someone being under extra scrutiny just for being reported so they have to walk on eggshells no matter what, but it kind of already happens as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I love how some of you went back to the knee-jerk response of "gently caress that Widowmaker player" when I deliberately mentioned how this would negatively effect the game for a lot of players.

Would you really want to be matched with someone like Seagull just because the other pros can't handle him? It would be cool at first I have to admit, but then he steamrolls and dumpsters you at the same time and you start writing a dumb post on the Blizzard forums on how the matchmaking sucks.

Also, this is one example they used. The post about it seemed to imply that it wasn't just a single player at that time which had this problem with the avoid feature.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 5, 2016