Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Hurry up and finish loading!

The carrier party continues.

So many targets!

So few bombs!

The last defenders of Java are wiped out – now to collect the forces for their next operation. India!

These guys lose a single plane then flee.

This month is going far better than last month already!

I believe the Northampton, she took a lot of hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey Hunter posted:

The last defenders of Java are wiped out – now to collect the forces for their next operation. India!

Not going to finish up in China? Or does it just take too drat long to move stuff in and out?

And what's going on at Chongqing? Has the IJN sustained a huge defeat that is now being covered up? That would be rather appropriate.

Also, looking at the victory screen, what's a Strategic Loss (the category where both sides have zero points still)?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PittTheElder posted:

And what's going on at Chongqing? Has the IJN sustained a huge defeat that is now being covered up? That would be rather appropriate.

Grey mentioned a while ago that it's been bombardment back and forth that doesn't really accomplish anything. Which is actually pretty useful given that he wants to cut off the rest of China from the supplies generated at Chongqing. So far, that part of the strategy seems to be working.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

Also, looking at the victory screen, what's a Strategic Loss (the category where both sides have zero points still)?

Pretty sure its strategic bombing. Unsurprisingly, the Allies can get a lot of points from this later in the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You have to send level bombers on strat bombing missions. They're not very good.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Not going to finish up in China? Or does it just take too drat long to move stuff in and out?

Four carriers lost in battle at Chongqing.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
It would be fun to play this where, like the real Japanese, Grey posts fake screenshots of incredible victory after incredible victory. Then come 1945, surprise! as the B-29s rain death from above on Tokyo.

Also, regarding naming ships, in a previous LP of this game (I forget whose it was), I won a contest and got to select a carrier name. The result was the USS William S. Burroughs, the finest fighting ship the US Navy has ever seen.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Bold Robot posted:

Pretty sure its strategic bombing. Unsurprisingly, the Allies can get a lot of points from this later in the game.

The Japanese can also rack up a ton of points by strategic bombing in China but it's considered gamey and often house-ruled against in human-human games.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

gohuskies posted:

The Japanese can also rack up a ton of points by strategic bombing in China but it's considered gamey and often house-ruled against in human-human games.

Grey should be doing this, since he is against the AI and it is (as yet) unable to get angry about stuff like this.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

pthighs posted:

Grey should be doing this, since he is against the AI and it is (as yet) unable to get angry about stuff like this.

But I own most of the places worth bombing already.....

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

gohuskies posted:

Strat boming in China/India doesnt earn points for the IJN player. Only the US west coast, NZ and Aus are valid targets. The reason for the restriction on Chinese strat bombing is is not too difficult to just destroy all Chinese industry and then the front just collapses totally due to lack of supplies.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Saros posted:

Strat boming in China/India doesnt earn points for the IJN player. Only the US west coast, NZ and Aus are valid targets. The reason for the restriction on Chinese strat bombing is is not too difficult to just destroy all Chinese industry and then the front just collapses totally due to lack of supplies.

My mistake, thanks!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

simplefish posted:

North Carolina, Northampton, same differnce
The North Carolina is my lucky ship, and when I saw it was the Wasp that was getting hammered near Guadalcanal I got real worried.

Guess this means the Showboat will be in Midway...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We kick off the day with some more dogfighting in Burma.

It looks like they are trying to put troops into Guadalcanal.

Aww, That was a dull day.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The AI has a set of historical and ahistorical plans that it deploys at more or less appropriate times. My guess is we're seeing it activate the Guadacanal plan.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

TheDemon posted:

The AI has a set of historical and ahistorical plans that it deploys at more or less appropriate times. My guess is we're seeing it activate the Guadacanal plan.

If you know the plan, is it consider unkosher to run an exact counterplan? Or what is the general regard for knowing the meta?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

One of the things he can do is stack a nearby airbase with planes and farm incoming/outgoing merchant shipping for points. It's gamey as poo poo because you're basically beating up a scripted AI which can't do anything else.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My threatening of the sub captains works, as we see our first sub kill in a while.

Burma continues on.

These supply ships are a tempting target.

The RAF throws everything they have at them and get in a few hits.

The carriers are heading back to resupply, so it should be time to get ready for Midway. I'll send them back to Japan first so everything is leaving at the same time.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I have a wonderful vision of a bar full of Japanese submariners on Truk being respectfully asked to pay up their extensive tabs and the tearful goodbyes from local comfort women. It seemed like it could have gone on forever, alas.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Jeeze, yeah, I imagine a few of those relationships were starting to get pretty serious.

Sad :(

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We jump down to Boela to take another base.

This is a quick fight. I almost miss the screenshot!

Bloody level bombers.

I really can't remember ordering this invasion.

Our ship heads for home, pursued by bombers.

So many waves, most of them boring.

We march a little bit further.

We have landed at a couple more bases. Let's see how that plays out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Please don't forget where your heavy cruisers are. You don't have that many.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I really can't remember ordering this invasion.

I'm glad that your roleplaying as Imperial General Headquarters is still strong as ever, even with work and a kid.

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
I finally finished reading through the lparchive of the Allies campaign, and got caught up on this thread. I honestly think I've learned more about WWII from these campaigns than I did at school. Good luck on this one GH, try not to catch a nuke too soon!

Claiming BB Wisconsin as my lucky ship. I live where she's based, and I've been aboard, she's a beautiful ship. May she sink the entire Kido Butai when she finally arrives.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've sent extra troops to Sebang.

Good sub!

Bad sub!

The planes have to turn to ground targets. We still shoot them down.

The air war in Burma is really good for padding our stats it seems!

It was a bad day for our ships though!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Does the AI ever split its fleets in response to threats? Is it possible to lure off a few carriers at a time and sink them when the ship advantage gets overwhelming?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sebang, sebang

Then grey moves, he moves.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The AI splits up stuff all the time in my games. I don't know if there is actual logic behind it or if it is scripted to do so or if stuff just needs repaired.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It definitely does it for damaged ships.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LordPants posted:

Sebang, sebang

I had the exact same joke in my head.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
e: wrong thread sorry

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

LordPants posted:

Sebang, sebang

Cause she looks like a cruiser but she stings like a BB

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

frankenfreak posted:

Cause she looks like a cruiser but she stings like a BB

Either way, she'll sink into the sea

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

What are these tankers even doing? Where could they possibly be going?

The extra troops at Sebang were all we needed.

The enemy bombers are massing.

Our pilots now have the experience edge.

They shift tactics, and it proves to be effective. They also land troops at Cox's Bazzar – which is currently undefended as I moved the garrison out to hunt down stragglers. They can march back in though.

The KB is heading back to Japan having refuelled at Truk. Midway is getting closer.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

TheDemon posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grey Hunter posted:

What are these tankers even doing? Where could they possibly be going?

Probably dropping off fuel at Djambi, Toboali, or Bangka, those are the only bases on Sumatra that the Dutch still control.

edit: Maybe they were trying to transit north to Sinabang in the dumbest way possible? The Dutch still have that base as well.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 9, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The important thing is that those two are expensive tankers to be throwing away.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One 60kg bomb isn't very much. If they can control those fires they're probably fine. That's a big if though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe they have a side business with Palembang commander, but forgot to cut IJN air wing in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Or hauling it out. Still, they are unlikely to get clear of Japanese air cover.