Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jesus Christ, that's like the wrestling version of an Eli Roth movie. And I'm an idiot because I decided to watch that garbage instead of catching up on the G1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion? I just re-watched Greg Valentine / Ronnie Garvin from the 1990 Rumble (an awesome loving match that Shave inexplicably gave ** to), and it really seems like someone dropped a stiff southern blood feud into a bright, shiny WWF arena for some reason. Only real concession to WWF-style logic at the time was how Garvin's shinguard somehow completely negated a figure-4.

This is basically an 1994 NJPW juniors match dropped into 1994 AAA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSfum_s5QM

Well except for the stupid rear end finish and Tirantes being Tirantes

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 4, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm not entirely shocked that people would do that sort of thing in the ring because I've seen a lot of really stupid bumps that should've killed people. What surprises me is that the audience looks like a very normal crowd, and that they're so close to it. Dude was breaking light tubes and using bladed weapons 2 feet from the front row with no guardrail.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What was the video?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion? I just re-watched Greg Valentine / Ronnie Garvin from the 1990 Rumble (an awesome loving match that Shave inexplicably gave ** to), and it really seems like someone dropped a stiff southern blood feud into a bright, shiny WWF arena for some reason. Only real concession to WWF-style logic at the time was how Garvin's shinguard somehow completely negated a figure-4.

A feud so good it appeared on both WCW and WWE pay per views in the same year

Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock N' Roll Express - WCW Superbrawl 1993

Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock N' Roll Express - WWE Survivor Series 1993

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I don't really wanna watch that video but Masashi Takeda is actually a real good wrestler when he's not doing deathmatch stuff (nothing against deathmatches as a form but I find modern ones are generally pretty bad). The guy is a U-FILE CAMP trainee, real shooter with an 11-4 record in the Japanese sleaze MMA promotions, and one of the better current guys at worked grappling (which admittedly is a pretty low bar to clear since the death of both shoot style and strong style). I liked his recent AJPW Jr. title match vs. Atsushi Aoki. It's just that he also loves deathmatches so much that in college he used to challenge people to arm wrestling on a table full of thumbtacks.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 4, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For those who don't want to see it, it's a deathmatch featuring a spot with a board that has three groups of several pairs of scissors, the handles taped together and attached to the board so that you have about 20 pairs of scissor blades facing skyward at slight angles. One wrestler drops another back-first onto the scissors. (The move is like Finn Balor's NXT finisher or Goldust's old curtain call.) There doesn't appear to be any gimmick to it--the guy gets multiple deep puncture wounds in his back. You can see the blades come out of his flesh when he rolls away for the pin.

I guess if you held me at gunpoint and made me choose, I might rather take that bump than the Vic Grimes bump, but just barely.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Alain Post posted:

little 8-9 year old me was ALL loving IN on this.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, it wasn't Shane Douglas beats Bam Bam Bigelow with a suplex through the world's smallest table dumb, but that was pretty dumb all the same.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Takeda is loving nuts. If you've never seen some of his deathmatch stuff before it's pretty grizzly. Freedoms itself is a pretty nuts promotion, pretty much the absolute worst of the FMW style mid 90's ultra hardcore Japanese deathmatches mixed with a bunch of the Big Japan guys who were notorious for working stiff. Its part of that loose 90's Japanese style deathmatch revival that's started up in recent years, if you've ever seen any matches from the Mexican promotion DTU it's in the same vein.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Although I vastly prefer other styles, I can take most deathmatch stuff. But it's the syringe matches that get to me. I can't watch those. :gonk:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Although I vastly prefer other styles, I can take most deathmatch stuff. But it's the syringe matches that get to me. I can't watch those. :gonk:

What in the world is a syringe match?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just what it sounds like. Syringes are weapons. I saw one where a guy had a needle poking entirely through his cheek to the point where you could see it in his open mouth, and that was enough for me.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Halloween Jack posted:

For those who don't want to see it, it's a deathmatch featuring a spot with a board that has three groups of several pairs of scissors, the handles taped together and attached to the board so that you have about 20 pairs of scissor blades facing skyward at slight angles.

To add to this, the scissors are all open and the blades are about 2/12 or 3 inches long. A lot of them go, like, all the way in. It's gross.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
The scar tissue on that guy with the pink hair is something else.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The scar tissue on that guy with the pink hair is something else.

They're shoot scars but IIRC people have said that he might have had a bunch of them done through scarification to make himself look scarier. Also, lets be real, probably did it to look like Tanaka.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion?

I probably would have gotten sick of it quickly, but Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle from Lockdown 2008 seems like TNA testing the waters for a new MMA-inspired direction.

The weird thing is how fully realised it all is, from the 'big fight' presentation, right down to the weird selling of moves that usually don't get sold. Also, a **** 1/4 match!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-4Bmhdadk

Tyma fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 4, 2016

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Tyma posted:

I probably would have gotten sick of it quickly, but Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle from Lockdown 2008 seems like TNA testing the waters for a new MMA-inspired direction.

The weird thing is how fully realised it all is, from the 'big fight' presentation, right down to the weird selling of moves that usually don't get sold. Also, a **** 1/4 match!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-4Bmhdadk

According to Jim Cornette, the build for that match was all Dutch Mantell's doing, since he'd figured that if you've got a couple of legitimate badasses on your roster, you should probably promote them as legitimate badasses.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It always gets me how for a guy with one look Kurt Angle seems to have changed bodies several times through his career. I did a legit double-take going from watching some of his WWE stuff to his NJPW match w/ Nakamura. I suppose HGH and somas and injury-induced atrophy will do that to you. He's practically zombified in a lot of TNA stuff.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

magnum_valentino posted:

I think that's Hardcore TV 217, which Heyman said was the best episode on a Network interview with Styles. June 16 1997

Here's Paul's comments on it:

http://ecwbyshaggs.tripod.com/interview.html

quote:

Question: What have been your favorite angle/angles? (XXGreenXX)

Paul Heyman: The Tommy Dreamer-Raven match which ended their feud; accentuated Rob Van Dam; started the Sandman- Sabu feud; brought Jerry Lawler into ECW; led into the Taz-Sabu rematch; and climaxed with Taz beating Shane Douglas in an impromptu match for the ECW World TV Title. That one hour of nonstop action, that one hour of progressing all of our storylines, that one hour of highlighting so many of our top pieces of talent, that one hour was as exhilirating as any hour I have been privileged to experience in this company

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
So aside from Dusty and Paige's mom, have any other wrestlers named their kids after their own gimmick?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

So aside from Dusty and Paige's mom, have any other wrestlers named their kids after their own gimmick?

AJ Styles named one of his sons "Ajay"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

All five of The Undertaker's kid's are named Undertaker. Undertaker Jr., Undertaker III, Undertaker IV, Undertaker V, and Michelle Undertaker Jr.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Has Cesaro ever used the UFO move while he has worked for the WWE?

For reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LW8aZTAcpk

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
No, he'd receive a Jesus pop everywhere he goes if he had.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Vince's little-known, youngest kid Gene Jack McMahon.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

ThePariah posted:

No, he'd receive a Jesus pop everywhere he goes if he had.

Ok, glad I haven't missed it, and seriously....this is something he needs to bust out...even if its for a big match at mania.....which now that I think about, yeah we will never see it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

remusclaw posted:

All five of The Undertaker's kid's are named Undertaker. Undertaker Jr., Undertaker III, Undertaker IV, Undertaker V, and Michelle Undertaker Jr.

Definitely worth reading up on his illegitimate son El Hijo Del Undertaker. Real sad stuff, he denied being the father and pinned it on Brian Lee.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Bob Armstrong's real name was Joe, and his son Brad Armstrong's first name is Robert, but that may be coincidence.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

All of AJ Style's kids initials are 'AJ'.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But AJs real initials are AJ

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

oldpainless posted:

But AJs real initials are AJ

mind = blown

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I know that WWE had a working relationship with Smoky Mountain Wrestling for a bit, which is why that match was booked for Survivor Series. Did WCW have a similar relationship with them?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No. Cornette and Bischoff hated each other. Ole Anderson doing promos for Cornette (for giving his son a job after WCW fired him) cost Ole his job at WCW.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Are there any backyard/deathmatches that are, you know, good?

Wrestling isn't real. So mauling and crippling each other to make up for lack of training or any real concept of storytelling or psychology just seems lazy at best, and downright pathetic at worst.

Is there anything out there that proves me wrong?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Would Brooke Hogan count?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Amusingly, early Japanese death matches and promotions like FMW were basically a way for Atsushi Onita to keep working without wrecking his body. They emphasized garbage brawling and superficial cuts and basically getting blasted with fireworks over taking big bumps and actually injuring yourself. Much as I like the guy. Mick Foley was the guy who popularized big bump death matches, and boy has he paid for it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 5, 2016

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are there any backyard/deathmatches that are, you know, good?

Wrestling isn't real. So mauling and crippling each other to make up for lack of training or any real concept of storytelling or psychology just seems lazy at best, and downright pathetic at worst.

Is there anything out there that proves me wrong?

http://youtu.be/ti44IwjQggY

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

IWA's King of the Deathmatch 1995 is a Top 10 PPV of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That Terry Funk/Onita exploding ring time bomb electric barbed wire death match was amazing.