Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Most other medics carry guns? What happened to the hippocratic oath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hollismason posted:

I was wondering when they were going to make a movie about this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss

Pretty cool.

How he actually won the Medal of Honor is loving crazy bad rear end.

If all this is beat-for-beat in the movie, it's going to be dismissed as unrealistic creative license. Jesus Christ.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

effectual posted:

Most other medics carry guns? What happened to the hippocratic oath?

Medics aren't doctors. They sure as hell carry weapons. Nowadays they carry M4s most of the time if they're attached as combat unit support.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

This might sound controversial but the M7 trailer is probably the better one here. From looking at it I know exactly what kind of movie it is advertising and why I might want to watch it. From the Handmaiden trailer I can tell absolutely nothing but the fact that the trailer is really cool. All the fast cuts between unconnected scenes, the ominous, pumping music, does it have anything to do with the movie? Is the movie like that? The internet tells me it's a historical drama, is it gonna resemble the trailer in style and mood? This trailer is not gonna attract the kind of audience who cares about historical dramas, but people expecting something totally different, and nobody is going to be happy. See the trailer to Drive, perhaps Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (haven't actually seen the movie for the latter)

The Handmaiden trailer does resemble the final film in style and mood, yes. Extremely stylish editing is a staple of Park Chan Wook's films, the music is from the film, and this is not a movie for someone who wants a typical historical drama. It's also a bit of a difficult film to cut a trailer for, since it's appeal leans so heavily on dark and graphic content. It's violent, it's sleek, it's cool. And like all Park's films, it's pretty hosed up.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 29, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If all this is beat-for-beat in the movie, it's going to be dismissed as unrealistic creative license. Jesus Christ.

Right? Like you just know the big moment in the climax is going to be him reaching for a gun and we're supposed to think "Oh no, he's going to shoot it!" but he uses it as a crutch.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ynohtna posted:

:v:

e: "We're gonna need a greater wall"

"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option, I'm gonna have to ninja the poo poo out of this."

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

computer parts posted:

Putting a white dude in to appeal to American audiences is racist though.

Has it ever occurred to you that asians like white people?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

when they made the movie about audie murphy (in which he played himself) they had to cut out stuff he actually did because they didn't think audiences would believe it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bugblatter posted:

The Handmaiden trailer does resemble the final film in style and mood, yes. Extremely stylish editing is a staple of Park Chan Wook's films, the music is from the film, and this is not a movie for someone who wants a typical historical drama. It's also a bit of a difficult film to cut a trailer for, since it's appeal leans so heavily on dark and graphic content. It's violent, it's sleek, it's cool. And like all Park's films, it's pretty hosed up.

Handmaiden is also based on Fingersmith which is an amazingly hosed up novel and the reason I will be waiting in line at the ticket booth opening day.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

when they made the movie about audie murphy (in which he played himself) they had to cut out stuff he actually did because they didn't think audiences would believe it.

There's the running joke about Apollo 13, that test audiences "didn't like the Hollywood ending"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

LordPants posted:

There's the running joke about Apollo 13, that test audiences "didn't like the Hollywood ending"

This reminds me of how test audiences thought the actor playing Joseph McCarthy in Goodnight and Good Luck was too over-the-top.

They used real footage.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Reminds of the Wire when Omar jumps from the fourth floor and survives and people thought it was unrealistic. Not only did that really happen with the guy Omar was based on, in reality he jumped from the sixth floor and survived it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Submarine Wolf Packs of the Stork Sea

Storks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXEZFd0RT5Y

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Get these muthafuckin' Korean zombies off my muthafuckin' bullet train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4DACwz49o

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Alehkhs posted:

Submarine Wolf Packs of the Stork Sea

Storks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXEZFd0RT5Y

This movie is worthless but that submarine Wolf Pack joke.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The one wolf making ping noises saved that trailer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not a movie trailer... but The World's Biggest rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeVLxcekEsw

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Something tells me Stan got a sub-par liver.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Dillbag posted:

Get these muthafuckin' Korean zombies off my muthafuckin' bullet train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4DACwz49o

I'm extremely burned out on everything zombie thanks to Walking Dead, War World Z, and all the other lovely media that's hosed up the genre, but this looks pretty good

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jagermonster posted:

I'm extremely burned out on everything zombie thanks to Walking Dead, War World Z, and all the other lovely media that's hosed up the genre, but this looks pretty good

Nah mate, this will surely be the thing that will finally kill off the zombie subgenre fad forever, much like how ________ will finally kill off the superhero movie fad!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jagermonster posted:

I haven't seen it but it's getting good press and is currently scoring 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. I love the Korean cinema style of disguising family dramas as monster movies, like The Host.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Here's the teaser for the new Christopher Nolan World War II film, Dunkirk:

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/dunkirk-teaser-trailer-christopher-nolan-harry-styles-war-film-1201709115/

edit: How does this man consistently have some of the best teasers/trailers? Also I'm very excited about his switch to Hoyte Van Hoytema- the movie looks totally gorgeous.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 4, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jewmanji posted:

Here's the teaser for the new Christopher Nolan World War II film, Dunkirk:

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/dunkirk-teaser-trailer-christopher-nolan-harry-styles-war-film-1201709115/

edit: How does this man consistently have some of the best teasers/trailers? Also I'm very excited about his switch to Hoyte Van Hoytema- the movie looks totally gorgeous.

That last shot is pretty fantastic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

LesterGroans posted:

It's incredible. It feels so "real", seeing all these men desperately huddling together when the Stukas comes a' screamin'.

Brutal teaser. Makes me want for so much more. Goddamn it, Nolan.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Fuuuck that looks good. I've never really liked Nolan's middlebrow fantasy movies, but this got me legitimately excited.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

The first shot too. The sand gently and reluctantly rolling in the wind :perfect:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Went to see Suicide Squad at the IMAX last night; we got the Dunkirk teaser in full 3D sound on a 6 story screen.

The plane noises getting progressively louder at the end was bonechilling. There was a lot of applause after it was over with, as well as a few "Holy poo poo" utterances.

That might be one of my favorite teaser trailers ever. God drat, Chris Nolan.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUN5uSu_VQM

This movie's for someone

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Didn't We Are Your Friends bomb horribly?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yes, though what was relayed about the film (from The Flop House) it wasn't a film that was inherently bad. At it's worst, it was just a little too rote with bad execution.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is this just a feature length version of that Pepsi commercial?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Actually, upon reflection I will be watching that movie based on the scene where they redress the girl from Modern Family & the fact that the director took the time to upload the bad EDM song the protagonist makes onto youtube himself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3M78HUNEo
(He definitely didn't secure all the social media links he put in the video description though)

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Christopher Nolan's new movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJePvN_4T_E

I'm really interested in seeing how he does a war movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are those guys in the boats gonna be safe? :kiddo:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

commy gun posted:

Christopher Nolan's new movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJePvN_4T_E

I'm really interested in seeing how he does a war movie.

Probably really good-looking with a lot of on-the-nose monologues about how war is dehumanizing

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

Actually, upon reflection I will be watching that movie based on the scene where they redress the girl from Modern Family

Heck yeah, goblin makeovers for everyone

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Heck yeah, goblin makeovers for everyone

Ya looked fun, dunno if I buy the nun line but ya can't win em all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vegetable posted:

The first shot too. The sand gently and reluctantly rolling in the wind :perfect:

That was spume. Not enough spume in movies these days, imho

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Probably really good-looking with a lot of on-the-nose monologues about how war is dehumanizing

I'm hoping the fact that there's basically no way to spin a convoluted plot out of this one will make it better than his last few movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Does Nolan use the same director of photography in every film he makes?

• Locked thread