Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Right. The black box it comes with has a jack labeled audio out. Do you have anything plugged into that? And if you do, is that what goes to the red mic jack at the back of your laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yep, that's what I use, as per the instructions. And for what it's worth, I don't have a special sound card, I just plug it into the red jack on the motherboard.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, that's not how it is supposed to work.

Either plug the microphone straight into the mic jack of your laptop, or plug the mic into the pink jack of the black box and then plug in the usb cable and nothing else. The black box will then function as the analog to digital converter instead of your computer's onboard soundchip, which is the point of the usb part of a usb mic.

If you do the latter, you'll probably have better quality sound, but maybe you'll have to go into the audio settings of whatever software you're using to change the input device or change the default input device in Windows' audio settings (unless you already did that).

The double connection is likely what's creating your ground loop. It also has the potential to create an audio feedback loop. There is no reason to have it anyway. The box is made to get your audio into your computer over the usb cable.

Without the manual in English I can't tell, but the audio output on the box is either for direct (headphone) monitoring what's going into the mic, or possibly presents itself to the system as an alternative ouput device. It's not made to connect to a microphone input either way.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, that's not how it is supposed to work.

Either plug the microphone straight into the mic jack of your laptop, or plug the mic into the pink jack of the black box and then plug in the usb cable and nothing else. The black box will then function as the analog to digital converter instead of your computer's onboard soundchip, which is the point of the usb part of a usb mic.

If you do the latter, you'll probably have better quality sound, but maybe you'll have to go into the audio settings of whatever software you're using to change the input device or change the default input device in Windows' audio settings (unless you already did that).

The double connection is likely what's creating your ground loop. It also has the potential to create an audio feedback loop. There is no reason to have it anyway. The box is made to get your audio into your computer over the usb cable.

Without the manual in English I can't tell, but the audio output on the box is either for direct (headphone) monitoring what's going into the mic, or possibly presents itself to the system as an alternative ouput device. It's not made to connect to a microphone input either way.

I connected it like you recommended, mic into box and box into USB. Still making the noise intermittently.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

What drum machine you want really depends on what you want to do with it: are you after realistic sounds or electronic? Do you want it to play basslines/melodies as well (get an Electribe if so)? Are you looking to use your own samples?

h_double posted:

Also what's your budget?

I'm looking for something I can use while playing guitar live. Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between loops with a pedal and be able to program a few bars either on the device or through software. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, maybe something I can pick up used for couple hundred bucks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm looking for something I can use while playing guitar live. Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between loops with a pedal and be able to program a few bars either on the device or through software. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, maybe something I can pick up used for couple hundred bucks.

These get a good rep, never used on myself though:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/digitech-t...ZLjAaAhy_8P8HAQ

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've just inherited about forty LPs but I don't have an amplifier. Said benefactor also has a pair of 5" studio monitors (Alesis M520).

I'm thinking if the shipping isn't bad, to replace my PC speakers with the studio monitors, and then just deal with a turntable/amplifier as a separate thing at a later date - make sense?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Is the SM58 still considered the best option for a sub $200 vocal microphones?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Recording or live?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like my AKG D5, it's often compared directly to the 58.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Live.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Live is fine, write your name on it though, because those things are everywhere, and sound guys will grab it not even thinking.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
When building a new DAW would you jump straight to Win10 or stick with Win7? My hdd and/or wind7 install is crapping out so I'm going to just redo my OS from scratch. I'm on the fence about moving to 10 in case there are hidden incompatibilities with some of my slightly-older audio software I haven't found out about yet. Or possibly just Win10 Microsoft poo poo people bitch about, don't know if I really care about that. I'm old so I like Win7 because it's like XP.

My main software is Cubase 8.5 with Komplete / PLAY as main synths. But also lots of old VSTs. I figure if they worked in 64-bit Cubase on Win7 they're probably fine on Win10. My junk headphone amp is a Steinberg UR22 first gen.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Officially, the opportunity to update from 7 to 10 for free ended on july 29th, if that's what you were thinking of doing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
For what its worth I've had no issues with Win 10 that i didn't have with 7. Cubase is pretty stable for me apart from the occasional spike but that could be my audio driver as it hasn't been updated by Focusrite in a while.

Do bear in mind the Anniversary update is rolling out the next couple of days so any issues that may cause are unknown as yet.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Officially, the opportunity to update from 7 to 10 for free ended on july 29th, if that's what you were thinking of doing.

But if you lie and say you're using assistive technology, you can apparently still get it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/01/windows_10_anniversary_update_still_free/

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can buy either the Novation Impulse 61 or the Yamaha PSR-E443. Two different machines that can end up doing the same thing. I have no idea how to play the piano/keyboard (or any instrument at all) but I want to learn. I know I can't learn how to play a real piano (with their 88 keys and fancy weighed keys) with one of these but I can learn the basics and at least produce music, right?

The Impulse looks more versatile and has semi-weighed keys, the Yamaha doesn't need a computer to actually work. I can't decide. Any help?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

gmq posted:

I can buy either the Novation Impulse 61 or the Yamaha PSR-E443. Two different machines that can end up doing the same thing. I have no idea how to play the piano/keyboard (or any instrument at all) but I want to learn. I know I can't learn how to play a real piano (with their 88 keys and fancy weighed keys) with one of these but I can learn the basics and at least produce music, right?

The Impulse looks more versatile and has semi-weighed keys, the Yamaha doesn't need a computer to actually work. I can't decide. Any help?

It really just depends on what you're trying to do. If you just want a basic learning instrument for music in general (to practice fingerings, learning notes and chords, etc.) I'd say the Yamaha since you can play with a variety of sounds. Plus in my experience it makes it easier to learn when you can just switch on an instrument and jam whenever you feel like it (as opposed to booting up a computer and some software). The Yamaha doesn't have MIDI, but apparently it has a USB jack that-- when used with the right drivers-- can control virtual instruments, so you can still do that later on if you want.

The Novation would may be better if you want to learn more about actual electronic music production using software and such.

Also, why not learn a real piano (digital or otherwise) with 88 weighted keys? If you don't know how to play anything at all yet, I don't see any drawback to learning on one. It might even serve you better in the long haul.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, why not learn a real piano (digital or otherwise) with 88 weighted keys? If you don't know how to play anything at all yet, I don't see any drawback to learning on one. It might even serve you better in the long haul.

Way too expensive, almost double what the Yahama or the Novation cost around here.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How do I get past writing lyrics that are meaningful to me, which obviously dredge up strong feelings of lust, melancholy, loss, etc. that are great songwriting fodder but which could have real world consequences? For example writing a song about how my one true love left me might make my wife pretty upset! That's fictional but you get my drift?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

How do I get past writing lyrics that are meaningful to me, which obviously dredge up strong feelings of lust, melancholy, loss, etc. that are great songwriting fodder but which could have real world consequences? For example writing a song about how my one true love left me might make my wife pretty upset! That's fictional but you get my drift?

Use a fictional character / put it in the 3rd person.
I do this a lot.
"no, you were a bookend alone. walking a long road, where did you go? Mr Killrose?'

'Mr Killrose' is someone I know, he loves the song and has no idea :ninja:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Just write songs where your one true love is a guy, then she'll know it's fiction and won't mind at all.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Don't write songs with other people in mind. Its your expression, and if you want people to relate, you can't water it down. Art with the audience in mind usually ends up being weak, in my opinion. Do it for you, or don't do it at all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Always write songs about robots, problem solved

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

peter gabriel posted:

Always write songs about robots, problem solved

Exactly!

http://youtu.be/mb5TV7JUvzo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
My girlfriend got a ukulele while we were on vacation and wants to learn how to play. Does anyone have a rec for a good beginner book? Preferably one that can be gotten on Amazon.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Anyone know of some videos of producing a song from start to finish? Kind of like the musical equivalent of speed painting videos.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I'm trying to record a few fingerstyle guitar videos on my Galaxy S5 but the volume is way too low. Even strumming with a pic isn't very loud.

Any recommendations on how to get a good take?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Subyng posted:

Anyone know of some videos of producing a song from start to finish? Kind of like the musical equivalent of speed painting videos.

The closest I've really seen are Home Recording Revolution (I think that's the name), Ryan Bruce, kind of Ola Englund and Spectre Sound Studios. I was hoping the Rob Chapman Dorje documentary was going to be exactly what you're looking for but it turned out that "warts and all" meant "the best clips we put together to show an approximation of what we're doing", so that was a bit disappointing.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Ok, so I'm currently working on my first, actual album release and I'm loving stoked because of the following reasons ;
1) Some of the tracks are actually really good!
2) In my 5 years of producing music I've never really been able to produce more than 2-3 tracks in the same style, and now I've made 14 of them!
3) It's an album!

I got some problems however;
I don't know how to properly promote them. I know how I want to, but I don't know just... where.

The music is electronic, with punk/rock riffs and a mix between dnb&rock drums. I guess the closest I can find in what I've made is the soundtrack to Jets 'n' Guns (by Machinae Supremacy) except I don't know how to play guitar well enough to rock out the wild solos they can.
You know what, I'll just drop a link here so you guys can check out the tracks I've decided will be on the album ;
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/7-song-mix/s-9NEoA

I'm curious if anybody knows any blogs who deals with electronic music I can send links to for reviews and poo poo, because I really want to get it out there because I believe in this music, and I want to show the whole world what I've made.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm trying to record a few fingerstyle guitar videos on my Galaxy S5 but the volume is way too low. Even strumming with a pic isn't very loud.

Any recommendations on how to get a good take?

Dunno if it'll help, but make sure you're aiming the mic at the guitar (the soundhole if it's an acoustic) and maybe blocking off the noise cancelling mics will help? It depends if the mic is just too weak in general or if it's specifically a problem with this. You could try talking at the same volume and see if it's picked up better

Honestly though you'd probably be better off using another mic if you can. Even using earbuds as one will work, if you have a computer or something nearby. You need a minimum distance to frame your shot so you're kinda reliant on the phone mic being good enough

Also did you try boosting the volume on the recording, if you can? It'll probably be fine, just a little noisy like a real demo

e- looking around there are apparently a few issues with those phones, so you might want to check if any of those sound familiar! There's a Settings > Sound > Call > Noise Reduction option that might help, and it's probably worth trying to blow air into the mic to make sure there's nothing blocking it

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 18, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Dunno if it'll help, but make sure you're aiming the mic at the guitar (the soundhole if it's an acoustic) and maybe blocking off the noise cancelling mics will help? It depends if the mic is just too weak in general or if it's specifically a problem with this. You could try talking at the same volume and see if it's picked up better

Honestly though you'd probably be better off using another mic if you can. Even using earbuds as one will work, if you have a computer or something nearby. You need a minimum distance to frame your shot so you're kinda reliant on the phone mic being good enough

Also did you try boosting the volume on the recording, if you can? It'll probably be fine, just a little noisy like a real demo

e- looking around there are apparently a few issues with those phones, so you might want to check if any of those sound familiar! There's a Settings > Sound > Call > Noise Reduction option that might help, and it's probably worth trying to blow air into the mic to make sure there's nothing blocking it

Actually, I wonder how it would sound if you tucked some earbuds in through the soundhole?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have a friend who has decided she wants to learn the saxophone. She doesn't really have any background in music theory and while I can help her with some basics, coming from a piano and bass background, I can only imagine she'll end up taking classes. I don't know anything about these instruments and so I don't know what she can expect as far as prices go or what a good brand would be for a beginner's sax.

I guess my question is what type of sax (alto/tenor/etc) is the best for a beginner/novice, what brands are the ones to look for, and what prices can she expect? Besides a teacher can anyone suggest any good material that could be of use?

Thanks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alto/tenor is what most student musicians start on. Bari and larger can be overly cumbersome, and hella expensive if you end up not sticking with it; soprano and higher are much harder to get good tones out of. She should go to a local music store and try a few, see what's most physically comfortable to hold and finger.

I'm a former brass player, and I've been out of the orchestral scene for a while, but in general Yamaha makes good middle-of-the-road instruments. Not overly expensive, good build quality, if not the objectively best tone. I will say absolutely avoid "student" branded models from any manufacturer; they're cheaper, yes, but they sacrifice a lot of build quality to get down to that price point, and they tend to fall apart a lot sooner.

For new instruments you're probably looking at several thousand dollars, generally going up with both size and quality (though the latter isn't necessarily 1:1). If money's an object she'll probably wanna research good models from a few years back, then check on Craigslist for used examples in good condition.

The best advice for any musician beyond private lessons is to seek out good professional players, and really listen to their work, absorb the tone, etc. It's way easier, in terms of learning, to copy someone else than to blindly feel out for yourself what sounds good.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Saxes are expensive. Expect to pay $1k+ for a new one even for a cheapass beginner one. Yes I know you can find saxes on Amazon for like $400; those are junk. I am a middle school band director and I have seen dozens of well-meaning parents buy their kid a junk saxophone. It never ends well. For the record, my school saxophones are all Yamaha Advantages.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mikeycp posted:

My girlfriend got a ukulele while we were on vacation and wants to learn how to play. Does anyone have a rec for a good beginner book? Preferably one that can be gotten on Amazon.

Not a book, but my wife did OK with the lessons here: http://ukulelehunt.com/2010/02/24/beginner-ukulele-lessons/

Site also has a list of books and stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

AlphaDog posted:

Not a book, but my wife did OK with the lessons here: http://ukulelehunt.com/2010/02/24/beginner-ukulele-lessons/

Site also has a list of books and stuff.

Awesome! Thanks. I'll pass it along to her right away.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Enourmo posted:

Alto/tenor is what most student musicians start on. Bari and larger can be overly cumbersome, and hella expensive if you end up not sticking with it; soprano and higher are much harder to get good tones out of. She should go to a local music store and try a few, see what's most physically comfortable to hold and finger.

I'm a former brass player, and I've been out of the orchestral scene for a while, but in general Yamaha makes good middle-of-the-road instruments. Not overly expensive, good build quality, if not the objectively best tone. I will say absolutely avoid "student" branded models from any manufacturer; they're cheaper, yes, but they sacrifice a lot of build quality to get down to that price point, and they tend to fall apart a lot sooner.

For new instruments you're probably looking at several thousand dollars, generally going up with both size and quality (though the latter isn't necessarily 1:1). If money's an object she'll probably wanna research good models from a few years back, then check on Craigslist for used examples in good condition.

The best advice for any musician beyond private lessons is to seek out good professional players, and really listen to their work, absorb the tone, etc. It's way easier, in terms of learning, to copy someone else than to blindly feel out for yourself what sounds good.

Hawkgirl posted:

Saxes are expensive. Expect to pay $1k+ for a new one even for a cheapass beginner one. Yes I know you can find saxes on Amazon for like $400; those are junk. I am a middle school band director and I have seen dozens of well-meaning parents buy their kid a junk saxophone. It never ends well. For the record, my school saxophones are all Yamaha Advantages.

Great thanks I'll let her know.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I recently picked up bass guitar and have been trying to teach myself some musical theory from scratch and have been amazed at how much I am learning, but I came across something today that has me confused and I am wondering where my misunderstanding lies.

I saw someone mention an A7 chord in the context of a guitar. Whenever I see things like this I have been attempting to build the chord myself and then look it up and see if I got it right to help my learning. I read that an easy way to build a chord is to stack thirds on top of the root. This same book also gave the formula for a dominant 7th as Root + 3 + m3 + m3. Or put another way, Root, 3, 5, m7 So for A7 I have Root(A), 3(C#), m3(E), m3(G). This seemed to be correct unless I am missing something.

I looked up an example shape of the chord and got this:

This brings me to my question. When I got to the C# when I built the chord in my head, it was a major third above the root. This chord seems to have it as the C# an octave above where I'd expect it. Also, this chord plays the high e which I was not expecting as I thought an A7 would only have four notes.

Am I missing something or am I just misunderstanding and it is perfectly fine to play the notes in a chord in any octave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A chord is just a combination of notes, as long as they produce the effect you're looking for you can play them in any order and as many at a time as you like. Some of the most common guitar chord fingerings (E/Em, A/Am, D/Dm and so on) are set up as root/fifth/octave/octave+3rd.

It's all about getting around the limitations of the instrument; if you're playing open E string, there's no way to get the G# immediately above, so you go to the next octave up if you want that note. Pianos and such don't have this problem, it's pretty unique to string instruments.

E: Most of the time, the bass in a band setting isn't playing chords anyway; they're usually playing a melodic line or arpeggiating around the chord, precisely so you don't run into that issue.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 25, 2016