Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ventana posted:

Just coming in to point out that this isn't always the case. It is a super helpful factor though, but certain things still get C/D'd despite not being for profit. We're not always told the reasons though.

I'm going to be very curious about how AM2R pans out. It's in the same month as Federation Force, which seemingly everyone dislikes. Being close enough to a Metroid release, especially if people keep recommending it over Fed Force, might be scary for Nintendo to put them into action.

There's absolutely no way a fan made Metroid II remake will make even the slightest dent in Fed Force's release/reception. The people who would care about that probably don't give a crap about Fed Force anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I didn't say it would make a dent, cause it most likely won't. The question is if it will make Nintendo's Lawyers scared, cause that's what matters here.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

setafd posted:

you're on my friends list and sometimes i see people playing that and i hadn't even heard of it before

it is ok. i got it for £8 in a sale an d it was worth that price. it is like diablo crossed with helldivers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alienation is incredibly good.
Play with me and awesome stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Alienation is incredibly good

it gets really grindy later on tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

it gets really grindy later on tho

Yeah thats the genre

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just download M2R as soon as it goes live so you dont have to worry about it. it'll end up getting mirrored anyway

Nintendo sends out C&Ds if it is competing with something they are selling. they send C&Ds to Mario remakes because they're on Virtual Console, they went after Zelda Maker because, presumably, it's an idea they likely intend on exploring themselves. I maintain that Mother 4 will not get very far unless they change their name because free as it is, the naming is intentionally misleading, and that's one of the few examples where Nintendo could actually argue in court for damages because of misrepresentation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

what was your character/weapon/mutations by the way

Mikey, nunchucks, turtle.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Quest For Glory II posted:

I maintain that Mother 4 will not get very far unless they change their name because free as it is, the naming is intentionally misleading, and that's one of the few examples where Nintendo could actually argue in court for damages because of misrepresentation.

That would require Nintendo to care about anything about Mother in relation to the West.

:smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah thats the genre

i know the genre, i meant grindy even within that context

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ventana posted:

That would require Nintendo to care about anything about Mother in relation to the West.

:smith:
they'll care in the sense that they released Earthbound 0 last year

if they renamed themselves to Father 4 or something I doubt they'd give a gently caress. they didnt give a gently caress about Star Fox Animated after they renamed it and called the main character Fawks McClaeioud

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not the Halo anyone wants on Steam

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I maintain that Mother 4 will not get very far unless they change their name because free as it is, the naming is intentionally misleading, and that's one of the few examples where Nintendo could actually argue in court for damages because of misrepresentation.

I still think whoever is still developing for that is looking real hard at whether or not they can go with their original back-up plan (removing everything explicitly Mother related, changing up graphics, renaming the game and etc.) in case the project got into legal trouble without actually getting into said trouble first so they can actually sell it as a quirky RPG in this post-Undertale world.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

Mikey, nunchucks, turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpM4s1R9nzI

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Not the Halo anyone wants on Steam
I might as well face it that Halo Custom Edition isn't going to be on Steam ever :smith: At least I still have my old CD key so that works.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Since there isn't a place for this anywhere in the Games board afaik, probably due to lack of consolidated interest, I want to let everybody know that they're playing TDM Quake 1 tournament stuff right now over at Quake Con: http://twitch.tv/quakecon

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I heard the gameplay has you fighting monsters that can just turn into ingame props and physics objects, which sounds cool. So you walk into a room and start shooting all the potted plants and chairs in a fit of paranoia. And then YOU get the ability to turn into any ingame prop too, so you end up like, turning into a coffee cup to fit into a small gap under a door or whatever. It sounds completely bizarre, but in a fun way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I unlocked Chicken and he has really bizarre mechanics. I always a appreciate a game where each character plays dramatically different

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I lasted like 90 minutes of never playing Nuclear Throne again before playing Nuclear Throen

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

chicken is the Pro Choice because enemies gain max health every loop and eventually there just isn't enough ammo to kill them all. chicken mitigates this by being able to throw her weapon for essentially infinite ammo. this is also why melee is extremely good in general

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yung venuz with an ultra shovel + long arms + trigger fingers is still my favorite though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PREY seems less like a new PREY game and more like Bethesda just felt like making a game named PREY but had to buy the rights to the old game to get it done.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Your new av is cute, but not as cute as new igloo sandshrew

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

FirstAidKite posted:

Your new av is cute, but not as cute as new igloo sandshrew

:glomp:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

should have renamed him like snovole or something

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Snowshrew is fine, give him snowshoes too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Snowshrew is fine, give him snowshoes too

oh is that his name? i thought it was still sand shrew

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah sorry, I made that up, I thought it was a fan creation. Didn't realize it's an actual thing in Pokemon, and yes apparently it's still called Sandshrew

Sandshrew is very cute but I wish it didn't have insect eyes

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The eyes are the cutest part

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Beedrill eyes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sandslash was definitely one of the coolest Pokemon when I was 7 along with Scyther so it's a good move to bring him back for todays children

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Help Im Alive posted:

Sandslash was definitely one of the coolest Pokemon when I was 7 along with Scyther so it's a good move to bring him back for todays children

You know all the gen-1 pokemon are still in the games, right?

The last ones even gave you both a modern starter and one of the gen-1 starters.

I don't get why the new sandshrew isn't like an alternative evolution, like evee. Rather than create a bunch of cool evolutionary paths they just poo poo out lots of 1 or 2 stage pokemon that don't really add much to the game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I haven't played a lot of the Pokemons beyond Gen 1 but I own White and I really enjoyed it and maybe should play it again someday soon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

The last ones even gave you both a modern starter and one of the gen-1 starters.

I don't get why the new sandshrew isn't like an alternative evolution, like evee. Rather than create a bunch of cool evolutionary paths they just poo poo out lots of 1 or 2 stage pokemon that don't really add much to the game.

actually regional formes like the aloha monsters are good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oddium posted:

actually regional formes like the aloha monsters are good

Yeah at least that's just an alt version of an existing pokemon instead of another individual one. Still, more divergent evolutions would be super rad. Dunno why they don't do more.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Zaphod42 posted:

They've added so many features to the game, and have moved the setting around so many times that it's surprising they haven't returned to the junk pokemons and given them new evolutionary options. :sad: they need new leaders at Nintendo. Make Kanto Great Again.

e: ^ I'm not aware of the Aloha regional variations, but I'm glad they exist. I guess. It's hard to be interested in Pokemon after, like, 20 years of putting mons in balls.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I know but I would guess kids playing B/W/X/Y etc as their first games probably know the newer pokes better than the gen 1 guys (even though X/Y had a pretty good mix of old and new)

I'm basing this on nothing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This has nothing to do with games but I need to say trying to parse and search xml documents programatically is making me want to die

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Sandslash was definitely one of the coolest Pokemon when I was 7

Back when I cared about Pokemon, it was my favorite as well.

edit-- this just reminded me: my old Neopets email account was sandslash67@go.com

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

This has nothing to do with games but I need to say trying to parse and search xml documents programatically is making me want to die

Shouldn't be that bad? that's like the whole point of XML. (Although JSON's better)

There's also assuredly a library to do it for you in any language.

• Locked thread