Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
It's a reference to the end of the game. To say anymore would be spoilers, so it's best to ignore it for now

EDIT

Also, I know that this is the Siren thread but I just want to give a shout out to SGF's play through of NightCry on his channel, I don't think I've ever seen SGF gets frustrated with a game before and this is a man that regularly trawls the depths of XBLIG.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Johnny Joestar posted:

the game will develop them plenty, believe me

I think you could kind of think of a game like Siren like being an interactive version of Stephen King's the Stand or something. The cast is huge, but everyone has some kind of purpose even if its not particularly productive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

davidHalestorm posted:

Also, I know that this is the Siren thread but I just want to give a shout out to SGF's play through of NightCry on his channel, I don't think I've ever seen SGF gets frustrated with a game before and this is a man that regularly trawls the depths of XBLIG.

I have also been following that playthrough with my kids and it is just dire. My daughter loves Jessica, though! Bless her silly little heart.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 5, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lotish posted:

I think you could kind of think of a game like Siren like being an interactive version of Stephen King's the Stand or something. The cast is huge, but everyone has some kind of purpose even if its not particularly productive.

yeah, every character has a reason to be there. the game isn't short by any means and everyone introduced will have their part.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, every character has a reason to be there. the game isn't short by any means and everyone introduced will have their part.

I'd argue that some characters are a bit superfluous though..

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Every character in the game serves an important role in the overall plot of the game, whether it's pushing over stones on the ground, or dropping radios down wells, or putting towels in the freezer

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, there may be a character who exists solely to get [thing] so another character can have [thing] but goddammit it that was important!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
SGF, I'm jonesing here! I've resorted to watching the Ring lp. There's just not enough lps of horror games!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lotish posted:

Hopefully without the last third(or thereabouts) being an absolute mess. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The game actually ends properly on Day 2, Day 3 is just an extended epilogue with zero reason for being.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Boy people sure are constantly talking about things about the end of the game that we haven't even started to see yet, huh

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

flatluigi posted:

Boy people sure are constantly talking about things about the end of the game that we haven't even started to see yet, huh

If you meant my post there, it's a joke about how the unabridged version of The Stand adds about 300 pages of a couple of main characters trudging from Vegas to the rear end-end of nowhere, a sequence that's near-universally reviled. So spoilers for The Stand, I guess, but not this game. And quit being so passive-aggressive, Jesus.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And quit being so passive-aggressive, Jesus.

:ironicat:

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I haven't experienced a game in a long while like this where I actually have no idea where the plot will go, I'm ~excited~

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
"We could break this open with a tool, but we dont have one. We dont have anything we can break this open with" SGF says even though Akira has a big rifle with a solid stock...
You know, Siren 2 kinda addresses this issue better pretty early..

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Godnnelg posted:

"We could break this open with a tool, but we dont have one. We dont have anything we can break this open with" SGF says even though Akira has a big rifle with a solid stock...

That would be poor gun safety :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Godnnelg posted:

You know, Siren 2 kinda addresses this issue better pretty early..

Hey, that Murata is an antique! You don't bash open locks with antiques.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

RedTonic posted:

Hey, that Murata is an antique! You don't bash open locks with antiques.

I know... and shooting the lock is probably not a good idea either. The bullet could ricochet and hit Akira in the head.. or something.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Does the sound from your gunfire attract shibito if they're close enough? That rifle is loud enough that it should attract everything in the level, but they don't seem to take especial notice of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Does the sound from your gunfire attract shibito if they're close enough? That rifle is loud enough that it should attract everything in the level, but they don't seem to take especial notice of it.

Maybe they just think it's one of their own riflemen taking care of business?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lotish posted:

Maybe they just think it's one of their own riflemen taking care of business?

Well, I mean, it also kind of bothers me that the shibito snipers shooting at you doesn't seem to attract attention either. I guess it can just be written off to the shibito being borderline mindless and not going after anything that's not directly in their vision.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
Snipers dont generally move from their location anyway but yes.. this is a bit of a design flaw, as other shibito dont seem to hear the shooting. I think they can, but their detection radius isnt big? Im not sure tbh.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.13 - Shouldn't Be Allowed

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

supergreatfriend posted:

"Kind of sandwiched between two guys right now"

Wanna get uncomfortable? Real big chance that Naoko's career has previously taken her this route. Bring an idol sucks, and being a washed-up one even more. I mean, look at her: she's not been keeping herself together. She does not look 28 to me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

bman in 2288 posted:

Wanna get uncomfortable? Real big chance that Naoko's career has previously taken her this route. Bring an idol sucks, and being a washed-up one even more. I mean, look at her: she's not been keeping herself together. She does not look 28 to me.

Idols are incredibly depressing.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yes, activating the siren does raise every shibito in the level instantly. I recall that being mentioned in the old LP.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
Naoko is my least favorite character.. I cant stand people like her

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Naoko showcases one of my favourite parts about Siren. The cast is quite varied and it really helps the immersion in showcasing the complete random smattering of people that'd get trapped if such a catastrophe occurred.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm sympathetic because she appears to have been chewed up by an ugly system of exploitation, but it kind of has made her a miserable person. To say more than that would actually be kind of spoilers.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's weird how awesomely horrific and threatening the atmosphere in this game is. But at the same time putting sniper dudes in places the level designers don't want you to go is a little game-y. Like in this last level i can totally imagine sombody just throwing themselves against that sniper over and over thinking that they just need to run up and shoot him with the gun and super frustrated because the game doesn't strictly tell you to go back to the siren shack.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, so far it seems like a terrifying game with very frustrating gameplay. Really I got to hand it to SGF for seemingly having nerves of steel, I know I would have quit a long time ago. Not that I think it's necessarily bad, but certainly not a game for me. How many tries does it take for a video to get made, anyway? Surely they cannot all be one-shots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got to go for a hike in the early morning in woods on a mountain in heavy fog and rain today.

Siren really nails how weirdly claustrophobic that feels in real life and then adds more crazy Japanese zombies.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Night10194 posted:

I got to go for a hike in the early morning in woods on a mountain in heavy fog and rain today.

Siren really nails how weirdly claustrophobic that feels in real life and then adds more crazy Japanese zombies.

More.....??

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Item Getter posted:

More.....??
Wow seems like somebody has never gone on a hike

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's weird how awesomely horrific and threatening the atmosphere in this game is. But at the same time putting sniper dudes in places the level designers don't want you to go is a little game-y. Like in this last level i can totally imagine sombody just throwing themselves against that sniper over and over thinking that they just need to run up and shoot him with the gun and super frustrated because the game doesn't strictly tell you to go back to the siren shack.

You can trick the sniper to take a shot and have it miss (if you are lucky).. Eventually the sniper will try to reload..

EDIT : HOWEVER, given the amount of room in that tunnel with the sniper, it is highly doubtful the sniper will miss should he shoot.

Godnnelg fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 12, 2016

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.14 - What? SHIBITO is evolving!

Robonten
Nov 6, 2009

Exaggeration is to paint a snake and add legs.
It actually IS really interesting that a mountain village would worship Hiruko, and not just because he's associated with the sea (you might know him better in this form as Ebisu, though that's an association that came about a while later).

Hiruko, or "Leech-child," was the first child of Izanami and Izanagi, the creator deities of Japan... and the product of them not actually fulfilling their marriage rites properly. According to the Kojiki, after several years he still couldn't walk (possibly he didn't have any arms or legs, explaining the name). So, like any responsible parents, they put him in a little boat and left him to drift away, like, okay, not our problem anymore.

So not only does a mountain village that's already established to have a weird cult worship a sea deity, they worship him in his unwanted leech-child form instead of the god of good fortune he later became linked to... Makes you wonder about them there Hanuda folk, don't it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this level is pretty much where the game decides to stop loving around

also sgf was right, the brain is typically kind of an extra thing that might be around in a level and usually isn't the main objective. when it's taken down then every single other enemy will be downed for a little while as well.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 19, 2016

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm kind of curious why you kept dragging Yoriko around the place after she got that secondary objective. It seemed to me that there were a lot of safe places to just leave her for a bit (like that spot after she and the brain both ran off).

One thing that does interest me in your run that wasn't shown off in the previous LP was the independent action of the NPCs. So far you had the tag-along run away from enemies on their own accord like 3 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, the new shibito are frigging terrifying. Way to escalate game.

• Locked thread