Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Which would remove them all from the game as they would have to become evil to serve him and evil things are not allowed. Hey let's have another alignment debate!

I'll start: alignment as anything beyond a vague description of your general attitude towards things is dumb. Giving mechanical benefits and detriments is the worst.

I'm not talking about alignment, I'm talking about being the cleric of the party's antagonist. There's no problem being an evil priest of an evil power unless your party is trying to fight said power in which case that priest is going to assuredly stab you in the back. and if he doesn't, the power should and would cut off the priest's access to his magic until the player finds another priesthood that will accept him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Bladesinger stuff

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fighter/Wizard stuff

Thank you both for the history lesson, as it were!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not talking about alignment, I'm talking about being the cleric of the party's antagonist. There's no problem being an evil priest of an evil power unless your party is trying to fight said power in which case that priest is going to assuredly stab you in the back. and if he doesn't, the power should and would cut off the priest's access to his magic until the player finds another priesthood that will accept him.

You can't be evil in League without the DMs permission. I tried using the Paladin's Sense Evil ability the second session and he said that literally everything was evil in this land so I couldn't see anything specific. I doubt he would allow a Cleric of Strahd to join the group.

Also the entire point of Curse of Strahd is to kill him, I don't know why anyone would want to play that unless they were hiding it to backstab the party for no OOC reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Duskblade was pretty cool, it was basically a plate clad melee blaster who exploited the gently caress out of shocking grasp. Of course it still had that weird cruft of "This is a Elf thing and if you're not an elf then obviously you had an elf teach you and why do you get to be that special?"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can't be evil in League without the DMs permission. I tried using the Paladin's Sense Evil ability the second session and he said that literally everything was evil in this land so I couldn't see anything specific. I doubt he would allow a Cleric of Strahd to join the group.

Also the entire point of Curse of Strahd is to kill him, I don't know why anyone would want to play that unless they were hiding it to backstab the party for no OOC reason.

If you meet the buddha on the road, kill him.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

wouldn't being a cleric of strahd necessitate you following his goals?
Arguably not, especially if you've been blackmailed into it. That said, I'm not sure D&D mechanically supports the levels of nuance required.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I agree. Mechanically, you get a couple different spells if you change deity, and probably a domain change. Roleplay wise, unless you talk about your deity all the time and think "What Would Pelor Do" (ask me about my Half-orc Paladin who wants to convert everyone) it just means your stuff comes from someone else, NBD. Sure, you denounced Strahd and work against him now, you're in even footing with everyone else. Where does your character grow from here?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay a couple things.

Cassa how did you get the Cleric back? I thought the only "cure" was Wish, the 9th level spell.

Admiral Joeslop. I think the curse for killing the Deva is actually supposed to be there, but it sounds like the madness was possibly the Dark Gifts which can be removed with a Remove Curse. Also what?! Your Gods can't reach you so you can't cast the spell? Can your Cleric cast anything? If not leave that DM now.

Also the Paladin cannot actually Detect Evil, their class ability that is usable Cha mod times per day only detects Fiends, Celestials and Elementals as well as Hallow or Unhallow. Not actually whether something is evil or not. And even then it is more about detecting the presence of one of these things and not if a specific target is one of these things. In other words the feature went from petty useful in the playtest to pretty much worthless, though it does have some small use.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
How much of the Unearthed Arcana online articles are OGL? Some, none, or all?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

What if you're a sleeper agent type preist and youre trying to undermine the gods's power from within.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Libertad! posted:

How much of the Unearthed Arcana online articles are OGL? Some, none, or all?
None of them, as far as I'm aware. They'd need to explicitly say they're released under the OGL, which they don't judging from what I've seen.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Are there any good mapping tools that people use for NEXT, or can be adapted for it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Are there any good mapping tools that people use for NEXT, or can be adapted for it?

For what? Hexcrawls? Dungeons? I mean it's D&D 5e, you can do literally whatever you want and it doesn't matter because it's all poo poo anyway.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Arivia posted:

For what? Hexcrawls? Dungeons? I mean it's D&D 5e, you can do literally whatever you want and it doesn't matter because it's all poo poo anyway.

I don't know what a hexcrawl is, so I'm just going to say a dungeon. Doing a pretty standard party lvl 4 dungeon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't know what a hexcrawl is, so I'm just going to say a dungeon. Doing a pretty standard party lvl 4 dungeon.

Okay, with 5e's emphasis on bringing back real D&D I suggest the original mapping aid: graph paper. Still works in 2016, I bought some at my drugstore the other day.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Arivia posted:

Okay, with 5e's emphasis on bringing back real D&D I suggest the original mapping aid: graph paper. Still works in 2016, I bought some at my drugstore the other day.

That was my original intent, and I have some sitting next to me, I just wanted to try something different and easier to read because of my attrocious hand writing.

Anyway, I'm trying out Dungeon Painter and it seems to be working out alright.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Maptools and dungeon painter are the two I've messed with & seen used. Roll20 can work in a pinch if you screencap the board.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

Okay a couple things.

Cassa how did you get the Cleric back? I thought the only "cure" was Wish, the 9th level spell.

Whichever resurrection spell it is that gives you a new body. Had to pay out the rear end at the deep gnome city for it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Reincarnation is fun. Especially if you end up as a badger.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

One game I was in we were working at reforming a church with a very big anti-human/magic bias. My default threat to anyone who tried to oppose us was "I will cut your head off and reincarnate you.".

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm I was under the impression Raise Dead, Reincarnation, and all the others wouldn't work. Since it specifically calls out Wish as being the only way to return to life.

EDIT: Also goatface Reincarnation is not that fun this edition, it only lets you turn into player's handbook races. Maybe with a later update to include the races from Elemental Evil, but it specifically does not include things like animals, monsters, and the like. So well it is rather blah now.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
We figured that the cleric being dead would let us bring him back, owing to the spell making him a new body?

The wizard had to murder him when the intellect devourer ate his brain, so he was proper dead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Admiral Joeslop. I think the curse for killing the Deva is actually supposed to be there, but it sounds like the madness was possibly the Dark Gifts which can be removed with a Remove Curse. Also what?! Your Gods can't reach you so you can't cast the spell? Can your Cleric cast anything? If not leave that DM now.

Also the Paladin cannot actually Detect Evil, their class ability that is usable Cha mod times per day only detects Fiends, Celestials and Elementals as well as Hallow or Unhallow. Not actually whether something is evil or not. And even then it is more about detecting the presence of one of these things and not if a specific target is one of these things. In other words the feature went from petty useful in the playtest to pretty much worthless, though it does have some small use.

I remember now that I was trying to sense if two kids we were talking to were Undead, which is part of the Sense. And the Cleric cannot use Remove Curse for the madness afflicting us, no.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

I kind of want a giant grand piano on wheels with spikes on one side and i can ram into people while playing frantic classical pieces

A piano mimic that the halfling paladin bard rides around on.

Carteret posted:

I need a suggestion. What's the best deus ex machina to get a party out of the under dark? My players have all kind of decided the setting and campaign just isn't jiving and even I agree. How can I hand wave them out and onto another adventure?

Make like the end of Journey to the Center of the Earth and ride the magma of an erupting volcano to the surface.

NachtSieger posted:

Man I can't muster up the energy to pretend to be a shitposter any longer, so I'mma say that that's entirely fair, and I do really wish fighters, or fighter-likes in rpgs got more nice things in general.

You might like Exalted (though it's kind of a shitshow right now where the newly released 3e book has only mostly functional rules so you still need fan writeups for basic stuff like attack resolution). Solar Exalts are demigods a la Hercules, and Dawn-caste Solars (basically the fighter-type) can get a bunch of nice things like "you flex your abs so hard the lightning bolt bounces off them", "you punch the guy so hard he goes flying a hundred feet", or "you kick the guy off his horse and steal the horse in the same action".

It also has something thematically resembling D&D magic in the form of Sorcery (complete with sorcerous academies, ancient tomes of spells, extraplanar creature summoning, etc), which is intentionally made to be useful for utility and mass warfare but generally less useful in small-scale combat than just training better at swording.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That was my original intent, and I have some sitting next to me, I just wanted to try something different and easier to read because of my attrocious hand writing.

Anyway, I'm trying out Dungeon Painter and it seems to be working out alright.

the best way to do a dungeon for these types of games is just write down a description and make your players draw it as you describe it to them.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Roadie posted:

You might like Exalted

Yeah, I actually do kinds like Exalted 3e, but option paralysis kicks me in the junk whenever I try to make a character for it :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Yeah, I actually do kinds like Exalted 3e, but option paralysis kicks me in the junk whenever I try to make a character for it :(

Try out Godbound. Way better rules and writing, compatible with a bunch of OSR stuff if you want to take it that way, or the author has been very helpful with converting Exalted stuff.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Going back to fighters/martial classes being good, does anyone else remember the Book of Nine Swords from 3.5? I remember it being very cool, gave fighters lots of encounter and at will type things to do, neat stances, and thematic fighting styles. Some were supernatural, some not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes, it's good, and one one of the precursors to 4e. Though it wasn't for Fighters, specifically, they could buy into it with their feats but you were almost always better off just playing the Warblade which was fighter-but-better.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Gate posted:

Going back to fighters/martial classes being good, does anyone else remember the Book of Nine Swords from 3.5? I remember it being very cool, gave fighters lots of encounter and at will type things to do, neat stances, and thematic fighting styles. Some were supernatural, some not.

My main qualm about that and the Path of War done by a 3rd party for Pathfinder is that they both imply a lot of setting fluff amongst their crunch. Also I didn't really understand the legacy weapon thing :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Angrymog posted:

My main qualm about that and the Path of War done by a 3rd party for Pathfinder is that they both imply a lot of setting fluff amongst their crunch. Also I didn't really understand the legacy weapon thing :(

D&D in general does that. You can always just ignore the parts you don't like.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Weapons of Legacy in general were really poorly designed because in addition to the material costs, and the feat costs, you also had to give up BAB, HP, Saves, skills, and spells to get the bonuses out of your weapon. It was very, very, occasionally worth it but it was almost always subjective even at that.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Hi thread

I'm starting a weekly session with a group of 5 people with mixed experience with tabletop RPGs (From experienced to never touched one.)I myself DM'd AD&D 2.5 and Shadowrun 3rd when I was like 14, so it's been a while. I got the D&D starter kit and am going to run that- but is there any suggestions, general advice, videos to watch, things to know about D&D 5? I appreciate your help!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Weapons of Legacy in general were really poorly designed because in addition to the material costs, and the feat costs, you also had to give up BAB, HP, Saves, skills, and spells to get the bonuses out of your weapon. It was very, very, occasionally worth it but it was almost always subjective even at that.

If you could design your own they got a hell of a lot better.

For instance, Faerie Fire at will is the lowest-cost ability, and lets you shut down a lot of the wizard can't be hit bullshit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So I'm starting to design some ideas for matrials and I'm still kind of at the planning phase. I wanted to here some input from goons who may or may not have tried this thing before.

The first thing I realized is that knee-jerk "wow, no, that's way too good" instincts are almost always wrong when you compare them magic. The second thing I realized is that my instinct was to make everything infinite use, unreliable modifiers (bonuses to skill checks and the like). What I want to do is mix regular, at-will check based abilities with limited-use declarative abilities.

So to speak generally about the idea: Starting at level 6 (7? 8?), Rogues, Fighters, Barbarians and Rangers can choose a new advancement path. They maintain their current class and class choices; they gain features from the new advancement path in addition to their existing ones. I want to make it a reward for monoclassing, I think, so I don't really want to make it a PrC.

The first path to power I'm designing is a Legendary Bloodline path - you're a hero, demigod, chosen one, or something similar to be filled in by the player, possibly with some flavor options towards the outset. All the Legendary Bloodline addons are going to kind of start out the same. For Fighters (the first one I'm designing) I'm looking at an ability I'm calling "Legendary Prowess" and it's supposed to be a fairly limited but potent expression of the overall theme.

You can use it once per day, as a bonus or opportunity action. It adds 10 points to one of two Ability Scores determined by the base class. For Fighters, that's Strength or Dexterity. It doesn't stack with other bonuses to Ability Scores but it explicitly can bypass the 20 point limit on a given score. I was thinking it should last for the entire encounter but I'm not sure if that's too much. As per my notes above, it probably isn't. It turns a Fighter into a killing machine for a round (you figure that's, what, +5 to hit and damage, at least?) but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Further up the progression, you pick a Legendary Calling - Leader, Warrior, or Guardian. I haven't decided what level to start that out at yet, and the only one I've really started thinking about is Leader. I'm thinking a warlord-like class that gets bonuses on checks to inspire or cow others, gets magic-like fear and inspiration effects, grants THP and can move characters around like chess pieces. I don't know what levels are the best levels to offer those kinds of things. It's important that each of these callings have a mix of at-will check-based abilities, limited-use declarative abilities, as well as both combat and non-combat expressions of the theme.

Any further thoughts? Again, I'm mostly spitballing about implementation at this point, I'll probably start doing some more work soon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I think the main problem melee has in it's later levels is actually something that's reflected on the spellcasters, because it's a problem ALL the classes have.

They never developed the game to go past level 10.

Like, what new abilities do any classes get after 10? Usually there's one, at level 18-ish. And when you look at that one new ability, it's likewise pretty typically nothing that's actually all that game changing. The D&D team was, let's face it, too lazy to actually make all 20 levels. They made 10.

But you don't notice that in spellcasters because they DID make all nine level of spellcasting. So spellcasters do still get new abilities as they level in the form of new spells. WotC didn't notice this because, well, lots of people - the D&D team included - don't actually view spellcasting as a class feature.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I unironically suggest you look at the diablo 2 tie-in 3e books.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Cheen posted:

Hi thread

I'm starting a weekly session with a group of 5 people with mixed experience with tabletop RPGs (From experienced to never touched one.)I myself DM'd AD&D 2.5 and Shadowrun 3rd when I was like 14, so it's been a while. I got the D&D starter kit and am going to run that- but is there any suggestions, general advice, videos to watch, things to know about D&D 5? I appreciate your help!!

Hi Cheen, the 5e books do a really good job of explaining how to build a character, how to run a game and the dmg is full of good advice for running all sorts of games.
that said, dnd5 is different to adnd, one thing you will notice is everything is positive, no negatives.
people don't get numerical penalties now.
this can make characters feel pretty powerful, but the numbers don't go much higher than they start so you can generally use the same target numbers throughout and the characters just move up the bell curve of pass/fail odds.

Advantage and Disadvantage is the easy way to adjudicate ease and difficulty now. if something is made harder (say searching a room in the dark) instead of negatives to checks or attacks you roll at disadvantage, which is two d20 and take the lowest. Advantage is the opposite, roll two d20 and take the best.

It's a clean and simple system compared to the old ones but keeps the feeling of options. And makes the action run smoothly.

donjon has several tables and generators for 5e which I find useful. From dungeon maps to encounters and treasure.

have fun, that includes you and your players.

also. use Slaad, Slaad don't get enough love.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think the easiest way to port Tome of Battle / Path of War into 5e would be to leverage the Maneuver progression table that they have for the core class archetypes that gain maneuvers, for Path of War Expanded:

The Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, and Rogue (and even Bards, Paladins, and Rangers) all use this table, so all you have to worry about are the Maneuvers themselves and the Maneuver recovery mechanic while keeping the rest of the class intact.

Barbarians recover their Maneuvers by communing with their ancestors as a Full-Round Action: they regain one use of Rage, and can take a Fortitude save to remove a level of Fatigue incurred from raging

Fighters recover their Maneuvers by entering a Defensive Form as a Full-Round Action: attacking them also provokes AOOs, and they can take a 5-foot-step every time they're attacked, and they gain the Combat Reflexes feat, all until the start of their next turn.

Monks recover their Maneuvers by helping an ally as Full-Round Action: they must move adjacent to an ally, then both they and their ally will get an AC and saving throw bonus.

Rogues recover their Maneuvers by using Gambits the same way a Path of War Warlord does.

And then all of them can regain just a single Maneuver by focusing as a Standard Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Kommando posted:

Hi Cheen, the 5e books do a really good job of explaining how to build a character, how to run a game and the dmg is full of good advice for running all sorts of games.
that said, dnd5 is different to adnd, one thing you will notice is everything is positive, no negatives.
people don't get numerical penalties now.
this can make characters feel pretty powerful, but the numbers don't go much higher than they start so you can generally use the same target numbers throughout and the characters just move up the bell curve of pass/fail odds.

Advantage and Disadvantage is the easy way to adjudicate ease and difficulty now. if something is made harder (say searching a room in the dark) instead of negatives to checks or attacks you roll at disadvantage, which is two d20 and take the lowest. Advantage is the opposite, roll two d20 and take the best.

It's a clean and simple system compared to the old ones but keeps the feeling of options. And makes the action run smoothly.

donjon has several tables and generators for 5e which I find useful. From dungeon maps to encounters and treasure.

have fun, that includes you and your players.

also. use Slaad, Slaad don't get enough love.

Thanks!