Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Geneseed defect causing heart murmurs that requires an armor-mounted pacemaker that discharges into bolts implanted into the marine's neck.

Every marine could be sans helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabius Bile is like Dr. Frankenstein so once all the marines, both loyal and chaos, are one faction they will finally be the Monster High they were born to be.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

That's the chapter with all the Vampires in it right?

No, I think that one is called the Sparkle Ravens or something.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Twilight Sparklers Chapter.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radish posted:

The Twilight Sparklers Chapter.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

These Gene-seed defects are getting out of hand.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
FFG just announced a Miniature Wargame! Fantasy setting and mixing descent with Xwing/Armada systems!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-the-miniatures-game/

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

the panacea posted:

FFG just announced a Miniature Wargame! Fantasy setting and mixing descent with Xwing/Armada systems!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-the-miniatures-game/

Those guys in plate armor look like the much, much less dumb cousins of the Sigmarines.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
No prepaints, though. I'm sure it makes all sorts of business sense but to me prepainted fantasy with a solid system by FFG would have overtaken every other fantasy system. Hobby people can do repaints, the rest of us can play without nerd bitching about painting/paint quality.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
They should just do a drat Star Wars tabletop game with good rules and sit there rolling around in a big pile of money as people leave 40k in droves.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

fnordcircle posted:

No prepaints, though. I'm sure it makes all sorts of business sense but to me prepainted fantasy with a solid system by FFG would have overtaken every other fantasy system. Hobby people can do repaints, the rest of us can play without nerd bitching about painting/paint quality.

I think prepaints would've driven the cost up too much. It works for X-wing because you can play with just 2-6 models per player. In a system like that you can sell the minis for 10$+ each. But for a Wargame with dozens of units the price would skyrocket and nobody would buy them.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

lol that Harlequin/Deathwatch two-player starter set is $150

lmao

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So does releasing this much of a competing product mean the deal between GW and FF is history? That'd be a shame when they've basically done better with the setting than GW has for a while.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The Bee posted:

So does releasing this much of a competing product mean the deal between GW and FF is history? That'd be a shame when they've basically done better with the setting than GW has for a while.

GW don't produce a product in the mass fantasy battles genre, so I don't see why it would.

Hopefully it is a test concept before a sci-fi Star Wars mass battles game.

Just give me Stormtroopers and a set of decent loving rules dammit.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FrostyPox posted:

lol that Harlequin/Deathwatch two-player starter set is $150

lmao

weren't those sets like $80 in 1994 dollars

that's p close to inflation

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I bought the 5th WHFB starter set for.... $80? I think it was $80 in 2000 which according to The Internet is ~$113 in 2016 Ameribux. so....

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Thundercloud posted:

I'm building a Kingdoms of Men army using Imperial Assault figures. Does this meet your requirements?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

the panacea posted:

It's amazing how nicely the Xwing style systems make miniature games flow so much better while not getting rid of any depth. Sadly they don't really let me forge a narrative so I have to pass for a better system *throws another fat flying baby in gold armor on to the pile of miniatures in the center of the table*

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's amazing how nicely the Xwing style systems make miniature games flow so much better while not getting rid of any depth. Sadly they don't really let me forge a narrative so I have to pass for a better system *throws another fat flying baby in gold armor on to the pile of miniatures in the center of the table*

The thing about the templates is that it completely removes one of the sticky points of 8th which was measuring wheels.

KoW handles it by allowing rotation around the centre of a unit as part of your move but it's still not particularly precise.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
That movement system is just so fantastic I'm not sure there's a game out there that wouldn't be improved by adopting it. Even in a skirmish game I feel that their movement system better captures how hard it is to anticipate someone else's movement.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

weren't those sets like $80 in 1994 dollars

that's p close to inflation

sure, but this new box supposedly has 28 miniatures ($150, $5.36/mini)

DV came with 49 for comparison (used to be $100 2 years ago, now $130, $2.65/mini)
Black Reach came with 44 ($60 8 years ago, had to check myself cause wtf, but $1.37/mini)

Calth comes with 37 ($180 current, $4.86/mini)

But hey I guess the mini rulebook comes with the new deathwatch/harlequin box and that's $100 normally, so great value!!

edit: haven't been to the GW site in forever, but marine tac squads are now $50...just how much does a 1500 army cost nowadays jesus

Nancy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 6, 2016

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Thundercloud posted:

Is there a reason there's never been a 28mm full on wargame for Star Wars?

It seems like such a massive no-brainer, I just don't get why a company hasn't jumped all over that poo poo.

Also I played a 2k game of 40k today, as a pal at my club (fairly new to the hobby) is still mustard keen on it. It took a good four hours and I'd quite forgotten how long the first turns takes. All the mission objectives are pointless as you just sit there trying to grind the other player down.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BeigeJacket posted:

It seems like such a massive no-brainer, I just don't get why a company hasn't jumped all over that poo poo.

Also I played a 2k game of 40k today, as a pal at my club (fairly new to the hobby) is still mustard keen on it. It took a good four hours and I'd quite forgotten how long the first turns takes. All the mission objectives are pointless as you just sit there trying to grind the other player down.

Probably because SW has never been with a company that wanted to do that kind of game and it's hardly a no brainer to open that kind of miniature production line for a game that doesn't have obvious appeal beyond 40k fans.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm surprised there wasn't a clone wars wargame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

the panacea posted:

They've also said they have a dedicated minature production/design facility now. That might explain why the most recent descent guys look so much better and are so much sturdier than they used to be.

It's poo poo that I'll have to paint stuff but I have every game set in Terrinoth so I'm pretty certain I'll pick it up. There's a lot of stuff about it being "two factions" though, I hope they release other ones later on. If not it's not that much different from Battlelore.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

BeigeJacket posted:

West End Games sort of did one in the 90s. GW looked at picking up the licence and planned on doing a wargame but it went to Wizards instead.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Taear posted:

They've also said they have a dedicated minature production/design facility now. That might explain why the most recent descent guys look so much better and are so much sturdier than they used to be.

It's poo poo that I'll have to paint stuff but I have every game set in Terrinoth so I'm pretty certain I'll pick it up. There's a lot of stuff about it being "two factions" though, I hope they release other ones later on. If not it's not that much different from Battlelore.

Yeah they really improved the quality. Sadly they used old models for Mansion of Madness 2e and they look like poo poo compared to the new Descent ones.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Star Wars doesn't lend itself to tabletop wargames, since the only ground wars shown in the movies were in the crummy prequels and were filmed so chaotically there's no real way to tell what's happening.

An Infinity-style game would be great though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BeigeJacket posted:

Well the original one was a huge failure and has extremely ugly miniatures. I would not be shocked if a small scale ~10-30 man skirmish wargame wasn't in development somewhere. The prepainted minis game (which was in 25mm iirc) was very successful if not suffering from a serious case of "rare figures are just better" and I believe Imperial Assault has done quite well. If WotC had the balls they would push out a SW minis game based on their Heroscape re-release/MTG board game Duels of the Planeswalkers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Apollodorus posted:

Star Wars doesn't lend itself to tabletop wargames, since the only ground wars shown in the movies were in the crummy prequels and were filmed so chaotically there's no real way to tell what's happening.

Imperial Assault is an alright start, but would be a lot better if it wasn't shackled to Descent-style mechanics.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Apart from Hoth and Endor you mean?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Endor would be really difficult to represent as a tabletop wargame, though.

As for Hoth, most of what's interesting in it is the snowspeeder/AT-AT fighting, since the soldiers just hang out in the trench and get killed.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's the space marine problem, too. How do you feature a Jedi with how it is presented without it being overpowered?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

WAR FOOT posted:

It's the space marine problem, too. How do you feature a Jedi with how it is presented without it being overpowered?

Just limit their availability, cost them accordingly in your points system and hope it works out, I guess.

It helps if your game has an objective system that precludes an overpowered unit from dominating, but that seems to be a lot to ask in wargames rules

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$265 dollarydoos for that Death Masque box :suicide:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I do think it's cool that the guy is the Inquisitor guy, though

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Which is why I'm stealing the mechanic for my Mad Max game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I wanna run that four armed two sworded golem into a unit of infantry and chop dudes up so fuckin bad right now

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

the panacea posted:

Yeah they really improved the quality. Sadly they used old models for Mansion of Madness 2e and they look like poo poo compared to the new Descent ones.

The new descent minatures are a different colour from the old ones. The old ones were bone, these new ones are white.
It's a really obvious difference, don't know why they've done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

WAR FOOT posted:

Ironically, GW solved this problem (and in GW fashion, immediately unsolved it) when they made only Troop units score in 5th Edition 40k. Of course, it's not perfect, since if you make hero units too good then they can wipe out the opponent's army and make scoring unnecessary (like in GW games), but an appropriately designed objectives system should minimize the utility of space wizards by requiring them to support your army and not the other way around.

Of course, if you can't be damned to do that, then just make them into Warcasters. This isn't very accurate to the fluff (as Jedi are never alone when they are at a height of power enough to completely dominate battlefields), but it's probably the fairest way of handling the situation. EU Jedi are definitely just as powerful as Warcasters, especially the ones from the videogames that get the entire array of force powers ranging from healing to invulnerability to lightning to death vision.

• Locked thread