Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It's a variation on the :smuggo: types who say their favorite philosopher is some physicist because philosophy don't real, only STEM is true, reals over feels, checkmate feminists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

Can someone fill me in on Black Lives Matter? Why are they so feared? I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but it seems to me they do standard protestor stuff. Some people make them sound like a terrorist organization (they can't be that dangerous or the FBI would have already COINTELPROed them to death)

The things people cite as making them a terrorist organization are generally "having clearly-stated demands" and "being angry and saying mean things." You know, just like Al-Qaeda.

So yes the real reason is just racism.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just noticed you said "make them sound like" a terrorist organization, I'm not sure if you're aware but there's a big swath of the stupider parts of our population that is currently 100% convinced that they're literally terrorists and Obama refuses to declare them a terrorist organization.

The reason Obama refuses varies between "because he's black" to "because he's black and therefore wants to see all the cops dead" to "because he's black and therefore wants to start a race war and finally fulfill the lifelong dream of every black person, to kill whitey" depending on who you ask, though.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

It's a variation on the :smuggo: types who say their favorite philosopher is some physicist because philosophy don't real, only STEM is true, reals over feels, checkmate feminists.

Oh, or Bill Nye! Who's not even actually a scientist. Just scienceish enough.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
It is sort of fun to watch them all cling to free don't will, though. It's like watching Deepak Chopra talk about particles.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

hackbunny posted:

Can someone fill me in on Black Lives Matter? Why are they so feared? I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but it seems to me they do standard protestor stuff. Some people make them sound like a terrorist organization (they can't be that dangerous or the FBI would have already COINTELPROed them to death)

The part of the alt-right I follow generally considers them terrorists/agitators because they're very anti-cop. They feel BLM fosters the kind of atmosphere which breeds people like the Dallas sniper and cheers like "What do we want? Dead Cops" etc.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Space Poodle posted:

They literally don't understand what separates philosophy from douchebags rambling on the internet. They have no loving clue what philosophy even is, but they're pretty sure it's entirely comprised of yelling the loudest.

You see it most often when someone goes to bat for Rand or Harris, at this point. The only reason they can come up with for Rand and Harris (or, I guess, Theodore Dorkshit Beale, Angry Racist Boll Weevil) not being heralded as the obvious geniuses they undoubtedly are, is Regressive Leftists. Even when someone like Dennett goes after Harris for being an arrogant, clueless dipshit.

You know, even in the alternate universe where they were sane people and not hateful nutbars, I'm pretty sure Murray Rothbard and Kevin MacDonald are not philosophers, given that they are/were an economist and a psychologist, respectively.

Also Rothbard was the son of Jewish immigrants who grew up in the Bronx, and Kevin MacDonald is the guy who attempted to make anti-semitism "scientific" so it's weird to see them on the same list.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Woolie Wool posted:

They're black, and according to the black brute stereotype, all black people possess an inborn "thuggish" nature that will cause them to rise up and kill whitey and turn the US into the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It's racism, it doesn't have to make any sense.
To be fair, people aren't coming up with this racist bullshit all on their own. Fox News and the right-wing media in general are pushing the "radical black extremists who hate whitey and want to kill cops" narrative hard. So people who a) consume that kind of media, b) don't have any personal counter-experience, and c) don't stop to think critically about it, are prone to believing that version of events.

In other words, some perfectly nice middle-American white folks who aren't very racist, but also aren't that bright/educated, really believe that BLM is a radical black terrorist group.

See:
https://thehornnews.com/insanity-blm-radicals-launched-nationwide-cop-hunt/
http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/07/12/black-lives-matter-radicals-using-moderates-help-tear-america-apart
http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/19/black-lives-matter-leader-defund-police-departments/
http://www.dailywire.com/news/7537/11-worst-anti-cop-signs-black-lives-matter-rallies-aaron-bandler
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/08/black-lives-matter-supporters-celebrate-police-deaths-twitter/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fox News is using the term Cultural Marxism now it seems :allears:

e: I love the OUTRAGEOUS examples of moral corruption and ~cultural marxism~ the National Review gives too:

quote:

Want to know what Black Lives Matter thinks about the nuclear family? Consider its statement on so-called Black Villages:

quote:

We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, and especially “our” children to the degree that mothers, parents and children are comfortable.

Do you want a nuanced and careful response to the problem of high crime rates in black communities and the problem of mass incarceration? Don’t go to Black Lives Matter — It believes that “2.8 million Black people are locked in cages in this country is state violence.”

Then there’s this incredible statement about gender and sexuality:

quote:

Black queer and trans folks bear a unique burden from a hetero-patriarchal society that disposes of us like garbage and simultaneously fetishizes us and profits off of us, and that is state violence.

Or there’s this statement about black people with disabilities:

quote:

Black folks living with disabilities and different abilities bear the burden of state sponsored Darwinian experiments that attempt to squeeze us into boxes of normality defined by white supremacy, and that is state violence.

What? American governments are conducting heinous experiments on African Americans with disabilities? This is either an academic nonsense-critique of the standard ways that American society tries to accommodate people with disabilities or next-level conspiracy theorizing.

Oh no, children might actually grow up in communities instead of being homeschooled shut-ins like god intended!

I also like how the one about LGBT people is just presented without comment, like it's just so obviously bad they don't need to say anything else about it.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Aug 5, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
At least we can remember Rothbard for this work of genius: Mozart Was a Red.

(Help me I unironically linked to the Mises Institute…)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'd like more info on the "state-sponsored darwinian experiments" thing though because while I know we absolutely did a bunch of lovely unethical human experimentation on poor blacks in the past I don't think that's what they're talking about.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

divabot posted:

If you can find a good cite or two, this might help explain the MGTOW trope that women are horrified, horrified at the idea these men will retreat into their world of sexbots and not want women any more.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Remember when Big Yud wrote a post about how he was genuinely worried that in the future, due to irreconcilable differences between the sexes, both genders would retreat to their own planets of catgirl/catboy sexbots?

This is literally what happens in Joanna Russ's "The Female Man", post-scarcity men retreating into their virtual worlds of battle glory and subservient waifus while in vitro fertilization makes gender unneccesary. It's not a spoiler or surprise, it's just how Russ sets up an all-female future, and is mentioned offhandedly, the book begins with the culture shock of a future time traveller going back to a condescendingly sexist Mad Men-style 1960s.

And when I first read the book I considered it a huge plothole... "It is inconceivable that men would do that, what a frigid man hating bitch etc etc" but it was one of the most prescient things in the book. Her intentionally absurd sepratist-masculinist apocalypse is nearly plausible in a MGTOW/internet context.

Speaking of condescendingly sexist 60s

Yep.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Syd Midnight posted:

Yep.

Oh no she's a communist :ohdear:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

neonnoodle posted:

At least we can remember Rothbard for this work of genius: Mozart Was a Red.

(Help me I unironically linked to the Mises Institute…)

Let us also never forget his hilariously terrible review of Star Wars

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Let us also never forget his hilariously terrible review of Star Wars

Or his hilariously terrible review of the gangster movie genre! (warning: Lew Rockwell link)

Read to the end, it's worth it.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/FormerlyFormer/status/761353075122507777
https://twitter.com/FormerlyFormer/status/761359910349053952
https://twitter.com/FormerlyFormer/status/761360176934825984

I don't know what Hillary's point actually was but this doesn't sound right

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Oh no she's a communist :ohdear:
I might become a communist too, if I were the youngest ever winner of a national science competition, and it got reported with remarks about how pretty I was.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Fututor Magnus posted:

Actual Hillary quote from "It Takes a Village":

quote:

After many years of working with and listening to American adolescents, I don’t believe they are ready for sex or its potential consequences--parenthood, abortion, sexually transmitted diseases--and I think we need to do everything in our power to discourage sexual activity and encourage abstinence. Young people can learn to value the intimacy of friendships with the opposite sex as well as their own, can enjoy being in groups as well as couples. Those kinds of relationships need adult support, including the time it takes to organize gatherings for kids, instead of turning them loose in malls, video arcades, or the streets. Homes, schools, churches, and communities should provide havens for kids who want an alternative. These same entities have to pitch in when it comes to educating kids about sex.

Hm, yes, sounds like a grim Stalinist dystopia to me

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fututor Magnus posted:

Remember being assigned work groups in school? The future will just be that, only with labor camps instead of writing reports. Or communism or something. Hell, I dunno. It mostly sounds to me like she's just mad at the idea of caring about people outside her little community.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I sat in LFG for forty drat minutes looking for an assigned village that could tolerate me before I had to cancel and re-queue :(

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just goes to show, a thede is a thing that everyone needs.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

pookel posted:

"Walk to the End of the World" by Suzy McKee Charnas is about a post-apocalyptic world in which women are literally treated as a subhuman class (think plantation slavery, with bonus cannibalism) in a society where all citizens are male. It's grim as gently caress, and also second-wave feminist as gently caress, but it's really interesting reading if you can stomach the gruesomeness.
The sequels are also fascinating. The protagonist (who is that rarity in SFF, a relatively normal person who falls into the story by being at the right place at the right time and not via superhuman talent or virtue) escapes to live in the wilderness with a clan of rad, self-sufficient women... who turn out to be pretty hosed up themselves, though not at all in a mealymouthed "truth is somewhere in the middle" kind of way. I love "The Handmaid's Tale" and all but "WTTEOTW" explores the same themes more elegantly imo.

Also William S. Burroughs wrote the cover blurb, which is pretty cool.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like the implied assumption that a vast majority of people utterly loathe everyone who isn't part of their immediate tiny clan and having to work together with anyone that's slightly different than you is torture.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

Or his hilariously terrible review of the gangster movie genre! (warning: Lew Rockwell link)

Right off the bat he opens with a bunch of old man whining about "why don't they make proper cowboy movies anymore the only good movies ever made were cowboy movies," he's like a strawman grandpa

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

You know, even in the alternate universe where they were sane people and not hateful nutbars, I'm pretty sure Murray Rothbard and Kevin MacDonald are not philosophers, given that they are/were an economist and a psychologist, respectively.

Also Rothbard was the son of Jewish immigrants who grew up in the Bronx, and Kevin MacDonald is the guy who attempted to make anti-semitism "scientific" so it's weird to see them on the same list.

Rothbard was himself a proud race realist and openly admired Harry Elmer Barnes, a notorious holocaust denier, because he was a "principled" man. Like all deontologists, Rothbard had no interest in actual human lives, merely "principles", and as such possessed no conscience worth appealing to.

(Rothbard's history of the American welfare state is something to behold. If a liberal were to obsessively recount the Jews, women, and lesbians responsible for government reforms, it would be celebratory. But the author is Murray Rothbard, a believer in "natural law", for whom the mere existence of deviant identities is something foul, so the purpose is condemnatory.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh man that rabbit hole goes deep

quote:

Organized crime is essentially anarcho-capitalist, a productive industry struggling to govern itself; apart from attempts to monopolize and injure competitors, it is productive and non-aggressive. Unorganized, or street, crime, in contrast, is random, punkish, viciously aggressive against the innocent, and has no redeeming social feature. Wouldn’t you know, then, that our leftist culture hates and reviles the Mafia and organized crime, while it lovingly excuses, and apologizes for, chaotic and random street punks violence which amounts to “anarchy” in the bad, or common meaning.

"They're literal men with guns who steal poo poo and kill people and are therefore productive and non-aggressive, unlike the MEN WITH GUNS who try to stop them through laws and taxes!" followed immedaitely by "Why does society like those stupid subhuman negroes street thugs more than these noble white businessmen, when clearly all the blacks ever do is fight completely randomly without any sort of sense or reason because it's in their nature!!"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Right off the bat he opens with a bunch of old man whining about "why don't they make proper cowboy movies anymore the only good movies ever made were cowboy movies," he's like a strawman grandpa

Crazy Uncle Murray posted:

Unfortunately, the Western movie is no more, felled perhaps by endless and unimaginative repetition, but possibly, too, by the dogged leftist insistence in the later Westerns for the Indians to be the Good Guys and the whites the Bad. Look, fellas, it doesn’t matter what the literal historical truth may or may not have been; the leftist reversal – the insistence on destroying familiar heroes – simply don’t work, it didn’t scan, and it helped destroy the Western genre.

They don't make cowboy movies anymore because the leftists were all "hey, maybe don't be so loving racist." This makes Murray mad. At the leftists, I mean. Not at the racists. He would never get mad at them.

Race! That Murray Book posted:

Until literally mid-October 1994, it was shameful and taboo for anyone to talk publicly or write about, home truths which everyone, and I mean everyone, knew in their hearts and in private: that is, almost self-evident truths about race, intelligence, and heritability. What used to be widespread shared public knowledge about race and ethnicity among writers, publicists, and scholars, was suddenly driven out of the public square by Communist anthropologist Franz Boas and his associates in the 1930s, and it has been taboo ever since. Essentially, I mean the almost self-evident fact that individuals, ethnic groups, and races differ among themselves in intelligence and in many other traits, and that intelligence, as well as less controversial traits of temperament, are in large part hereditary.

Their Malcolm... and Mine posted:

In the last analysis, then, it is not Malcolm’s ideas, militant or not, nationalist or not, that continue to fascinate, and to attract followers. Not at all. On the contrary, it was Malcolm as a person who was the great attraction when alive and still is, thirty years after his death. For Malcolm was indeed unique among black leadership, past and present. He did no shuckin’ and jivin’, he was not a clown like “the Rev.” Al Sharpton, he was not moronic like Ben Hooks or Thurgood Marshall, he did not simply threaten Whitey in a loutish manner like the Black Panthers, he was not a fraudulent intellectual with a rococo Black Baptist minister style, like “Dr.” King. He stood out like a noble eagle among his confreres. He carried himself with great pride and dignity; his speaking style was incisive and sparkled with intelligence and sardonic wit. In short, his attraction for blacks was and is that he acted white. It is a ridiculous liberal cliche that blacks are just like whites but with a different skin color; but in Malcolm’s case, regardless of his formal ideology, it really seemed to be true.

e:

Right? That one might be my favorite piece of libertarian writing, based solely on how many different ways he finds to embarrass himself.

Goon Danton has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Aug 5, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Curvature of Earth posted:

Like all An-caps, Rothbard had no interest in actual human lives, merely "principles", and as such possessed no conscience worth appealing to.

FTFY

I think he survived by looking too much like a muppet for anyone to consider him truly evil.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The only good thing by a rationalist I've ever read was The Northern Caves by Nostalgebraist, who's on the edges of that community anyway, and afaik the only remotely interesting thing to come out of the Dark Enlightenment's fiction is Nick Land's short stories.

Nostalgebraist is a "rationalist" only socially; he still has the tag and link on his Tumblr for the posts taking the piss out of Big Yud, and thinks Mr Yudkowsky is basically incorrect about most of his key ideas.

For actual-LW-rationalist pretty-good stuff, I liked Cordyceps, which is anti-rational fiction.

Syd Midnight posted:

Correction! That was condescendingly sexist 1955.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No I remember a version that wasn't in story format

EDIT:

I love slipping Nietzsche into that list of urine and feces like he'd totally support anything those assholes would say.

Perspectivism and nihilism are both "dark" in tone, but really share no resemblance to anything about the ideals of the dark enlightenment. In fact I'd say he's way too postmodern for any of these stemlords to accept.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

"They're literal men with guns who steal poo poo and kill people and are therefore productive and non-aggressive, unlike the MEN WITH GUNS who try to stop them through laws and taxes!" followed immedaitely by "Why does society like those stupid subhuman negroes street thugs more than these noble white businessmen, when clearly all the blacks ever do is fight completely randomly without any sort of sense or reason because it's in their nature!!"

So for him, would MS-13 and narcotraficantes count, or are they disqualified for having the wrong skin color?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why the gently caress are you sticking your finger in your mouth in a lab do you want to die

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It was standard procedure for chemists to taste newly synthesized compounds for a long time. Back then nobody gave a poo poo about safety.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

It was standard procedure for chemists to taste newly synthesized compounds for a long time. Back then nobody gave a poo poo about safety.

The evolution of chemical analysis went like this:
-Taste it
-Make the grad student taste it
-Proton NMR

I vividly remember looking up an old synthesis with the step "allow the reaction to boil until the smell of pyridine can no longer be detected." I also vividly remember getting the gently caress out of synthetic chemistry.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

The Lone Badger posted:

Why the gently caress are you sticking your finger in your mouth in a lab do you want to die

Maybe she invented Smarties?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
It's okay! Reductress completely answers Scott Adams' electoral fears.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Goon Danton posted:

"Part 3 is going to turn this around!" was the best part.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

except none of these shitheads would survive that long. they live for this ideal fake past that never existed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nah. she might be a somewhat sex negative and maybe swerfy, but she is no TERF. honestly her stuff/videos has gotten alot better. most of the bad stupid stuff came from her ex producer/writer. he was giant wanker and quite/hopefully got sacked and now spends his days begging on patrion and jerking off about how steven universe is the greatest show and how games having choices is "problamtic". her stuff is more interesting now even if i dont always agree with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah. she might be a somewhat sex negative and maybe swerfy, but she is no TERF. honestly her stuff/videos has gotten alot better. most of the bad stupid stuff came from her ex producer/writer. he was giant wanker and quite/hopefully got sacked and now spends his days begging on patrion and jerking off about how steven universe is the greatest show and how games having choices is "problamtic". her stuff is more interesting now even if i dont always agree with everything.

Who was this idiot?