Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Rare but X5's are still lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't know about the X5 particularly, but the M54 3.0 is overall a pretty dang good motor. N/A straight six so no turbo fuckery. It's the same motor in the 3 and 5 series so there are a ton of them around, parts are common and relatively cheap. And being an N/A inline motor it's pretty easy to work on with generally good accessibility. At "only" 230hp/220ft lbs in a car as big as an X5 it won't be a firebreather but it's not like it's underpowered.

There's a few common problems, but really nothing too catastrophic or $$$. Also none of the common problems will leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Leaking valve cover gaskets are relatively common, but since it's a N/A inline motor it's a fairly easy job, even if you pay to have it done for you. Shouldn't really be failing more commonly than 80-100k miles, but at 94k miles its a strong possibility.

The DISA valve will likely eventually wear out, but it's a very easy and cheap (<$100) DIY rebuild and permanent fix using the kit from GAS.

In cold climates, the CCV may get gunked up and cause oil consumption. A bit of a PITA to replace, but there's a better designed part you can replace it. But a lot of cars also never experience bad enough CCV problems to warrant replacing.

The VANOS seals may go bad over time, but it's also fixable with a DIY rebuild kit. Definitely more effort than the DISA, though. Again, may not happen to all cars.

And like any older BMW the coolant system is something to be aware of, but really not as bad as its made out to be. Replace a couple of the most problematic parts every ~80-100k and you'll likely be fine.

The M54 in my E46 has 94k miles and still runs great. Had to replace the VCG recently, and I rebuilt the DISA a while back. Other than that no engine issues so far. My coolant system is still all in one piece, too, but I did preventatively replace the expansion tank and also running the system at a lower pressure using the rad cap from GAS.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 4, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Find a good indy shop, stockpile rubber/plastic bits and sensors and consumables and $$ for yearly maintenance and drive that fucker into the ground.

My indy shop guy has an 03 X5 and even with the jankier V8 and auto has put over 300k miles on it and tows all sorts of poo poo with it. Of course he runs a shop - but still - those years are tanks.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 4, 2016

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
https://goo.gl/photos/aSBpeHStnCSJMLQr8

New fun sound on my M3 that seems to be combined with a rough idle and fuel trim codes. This sound like a big ole vacuum leak to anyone else?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Crustashio posted:

https://goo.gl/photos/aSBpeHStnCSJMLQr8

New fun sound on my M3 that seems to be combined with a rough idle and fuel trim codes. This sound like a big ole vacuum leak to anyone else?

Gran Turismo 6 got the sounds on one car right at least! :v:

blk posted:

Am I an idiot for being interested in this?

Completely anecdotal individual result, but a friend at work had that same car (2004 however) and had nothing but one after another nightmare problems with it. She was probably not the ideal BMW owner though as she tended to expect to have to only give it the barest of maintenance, so YMMV.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I just drove it - everything seemed to work except auto up on one of the windows. The power rear seat drop takes forever and is super annoying, I wonder if there's a way to lower the seat backs manually. The M54 is just enough power and I really like the MT. Paint, interior and trim are in really good shape. Anyways, it basically felt like a practical MT SUV with a nice interior. I dig it and really like the split tail gate on these.

Something is missing from the story, though. The seller bought it from the first owners, an elderly couple who had it dealer serviced and have all records (I didn't see cooling system or anything major in there, I am going to call the dealer tomorrow). The seller has only had it 4 months and replaced the AC compressor but didn't transfer the title over to his name. I asked him why he was selling and he just said it's a third car and his wife refuses to drive stick. He's the sales manager at a local Toyota dealership and knows how the game is played. The engine bay was so well detailed that I couldn't see any evidence of leaks if there were any.

He's leaving town for the next couple of days and gets back Sunday. He has some other interest in the car. I am hoping I can stall him until Monday so I can get a PPI.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

I just drove it - everything seemed to work except auto up on one of the windows. The power rear seat drop takes forever and is super annoying, I wonder if there's a way to lower the seat backs manually. The M54 is just enough power and I really like the MT. Paint, interior and trim are in really good shape. Anyways, it basically felt like a practical MT SUV with a nice interior. I dig it and really like the split tail gate on these.

Something is missing from the story, though. The seller bought it from the first owners, an elderly couple who had it dealer serviced and have all records (I didn't see cooling system or anything major in there, I am going to call the dealer tomorrow). The seller has only had it 4 months and replaced the AC compressor but didn't transfer the title over to his name. I asked him why he was selling and he just said it's a third car and his wife refuses to drive stick. He's the sales manager at a local Toyota dealership and knows how the game is played. The engine bay was so well detailed that I couldn't see any evidence of leaks if there were any.

He's leaving town for the next couple of days and gets back Sunday. He has some other interest in the car. I am hoping I can stall him until Monday so I can get a PPI.

Dealer employee jumping title? Avoid. There's a story. "My wife won't drive it" is classic BS line. Oh yeah, there's also a lot of other interest in a 13 year old 6 cylinder manual SUV that he's jumping title on. :laugh:

Did you run the window that's not working in auto all the way up and down a couple times? If the battery has been disconnected, the car needs to reset parameters before the auto stuff works.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blk posted:

The wife line is BS and don't buy it without a PPI. If he scoffs at the idea or says you don't need one walk the gently caress away

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why not just keep driving the saabaru? baby hauling isn't any more fun in a faster car

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Whats the deal with the new M2? Has anyone driven one? How was it? The more I look into it the more I'm starting to consider going that route over an M4. I'm currently running around in an e36 M3 and I feel like the M2 might be more in the spirit of smaller/lighter M cars.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Popete posted:

Whats the deal with the new M2? Has anyone driven one? How was it? The more I look into it the more I'm starting to consider going that route over an M4. I'm currently running around in an e36 M3 and I feel like the M2 might be more in the spirit of smaller/lighter M cars.

In the Ignition review of the M2, they put it up against the M4, looking at exactly that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP5z2cJ5aqk

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Popete posted:

2 year waiting list....maybe less now, but uh...yeah.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
If I wanted two doors I'd go with the M2 but I want four doors since it's twice as better.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

PenisMonkey posted:

If I wanted two doors I'd go with the M2 but I want four doors since it's twice as better.

Four doors for more whores.

NitroSpazzz after watching this One Take from TST YouTube channel I think I found the direction you need to take on your E30 M3 race car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzTg1GoOxo That makes a wonderful noise and it takes a lot to get this guy that excited about a car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

NitroSpazzz after watching this One Take from TST YouTube channel I think I found the direction you need to take on your E30 M3 race car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzTg1GoOxo That makes a wonderful noise and it takes a lot to get this guy that excited about a car.
I've driven a S54 E30, they're seriously stupid fast. It really is an excellent engine and is one of my backup choices if my current plan ends up being more difficult than imagined.

On that subject I've located my donor and will be picking up the engine and all swap parts in the next couple weeks as time allows. Then begins the difficult part of making things fit. That will also be when I kick off the build thread.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

S54s are rubbish :smith:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

if my current plan ends up being more difficult than imagined.
S85?!?!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

S54s are rubbish :smith:

Jalopnik, is that you?

Jalopnik has really doubled down on click bait articles and extreme hyperbole to generate traffic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If that article was "BMWs are poo poo" I'd sort of agree. When I think of what's gone wrong on my car, bad ECU, bad transmission, wastegate actuator, charge pipe exploded. Everything around the engine goes bad but the engine itself has always been fine.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Jalopnik, is that you?

Jalopnik has really doubled down on click bait articles and extreme hyperbole to generate traffic.

Nah nah nah that ain't me.

This however;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U77AR_don4U

Is me :smith:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
BMWs are bad and you should sell them to me for real cheap because they're so bad.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

This however;

Is me :smith:

Yes I know. I saw that when you updated your thread. I am bummed out that happened but glad you came back and started posting again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If that article was "BMWs are poo poo" I'd sort of agree. When I think of what's gone wrong on my car, bad ECU, bad transmission, wastegate actuator, charge pipe exploded. Everything around the engine goes bad but the engine itself has always been fine.

The stuff outside of the block that is required for the engine to run is generally lumped into "the engine" in regards to things like that article. So your car would be a perfect example of what that article is talking about.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
worst failure i've had is a failed alternator on my e36

:smuggo:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Bape Culture posted:

This however;

Is the impetus for my LS swap :unsmith:

ftfy

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

blk posted:

I know where a 05 X3 is. Original owner, full records, Auto, Black on Black. It's higher mileage, but literally the cleanest X3 of that era you will find. LMK if you want to see it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

The stuff outside of the block that is required for the engine to run is generally lumped into "the engine" in regards to things like that article. So your car would be a perfect example of what that article is talking about.

Yup. The block/heads have been fine on mine but all the poo poo needed to keep the engine working did their damndest to fail.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Popete posted:

I drove that around for about 10 hours in April, other than the steering being a bit dead it was an absolute joy to drive and the engine note will want to make you downshift everywhere like an idiot.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I saw an M2 at a cars and coffee last week. It looked more ungainly in person than in pictures. Something about the proportions of the entire rear third of the car is just off. I'd still totally take one.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Well this is a new one for me.

PCV grommet on my S52 was completely dicked.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Having a lighting issue on my E90. The trunk mounted taillight and reverse light on the passenger side stopped working. I took the trunk lid liner out to find the bulb housing hanging by the connector. I was hoping that was the problem, but even after putting it back in, the lights still don't work. Swapped bulbs with the drivers side housing, and then they both stopped working. I'm guessing the bulbs are shot, although they look fine. That wouldn't explain why the drivers side bulbs stopped working when I moved them over though. I can't find any broken or cracked wires in the harness, but I didn't take the whole thing out. Is there something else to check? I could get a multimeter if that would help, although I don't know how to use it to even check anything. Anyone have ideas?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So got a 2016 320i sport package service loaner yesterday and by god I think they finally fixed the steering. Also a hoot to drive in that whole drive slow car fast vein.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I had to fight the urge to drive my service vehicle base X1 off of a bridge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I liked when they would give me a normal car because they weren't always super lovely. I got a 228i one time and it was kind of neat. Every other time I'd get an x1 or an x3 and they were always poo poo. I felt like the car was going to roll over when I took turns.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Well, I found my wiring problem. One broken wire, and three cracked ones in the bundle going to the trunk lid. Spliced those, put in new bulbs, and now everything is working.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Funzo posted:

Well, I found my wiring problem. One broken wire, and three cracked ones in the bundle going to the trunk lid. Spliced those, put in new bulbs, and now everything is working.

Cracked/broken from usage and age, or actively nibbled on? The only wiring issue I had on an E90 was directly related to a mouse chewing on the evap and wiring for the fuel system.

Basically, bait https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B00004RAMU and leave it where you park. Scrape it out once a year or so.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Alarbus posted:

Cracked/broken from usage and age, or actively nibbled on? The only wiring issue I had on an E90 was directly related to a mouse chewing on the evap and wiring for the fuel system.

Basically, bait https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B00004RAMU and leave it where you park. Scrape it out once a year or so.

Usage and age I would think. It seems to be a common problem. The breaks were in the rubber covering that connects all the wiring for the trunk lid.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Popete posted:

Impossible to lease without losing your shirt, massive waiting list. I have no interest in owning a modern m car (even one without a true m engine)

Local dealership had a used m2 for msrp, 9k miles on it, lasted 48 hours before it was gone.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sellouts posted:

Impossible to lease without losing your shirt, massive waiting list. I have no interest in owning a modern m car (even one without a true m engine)

Local dealership had a used m2 for msrp, 9k miles on it, lasted 48 hours before it was gone.

As a Former M3 owner having a car like that is great and all but none of the power is useable in real life. I dont regret my decision it was an amazing car. But I am having just as much useable fun with my 228i. While getting 33 mpg on the highway instead of 18 mpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Living in the suburbs, I rarely get to ring out my 135. Would be sad to have to drive an m2 35 mph all the time.