Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Raj does know how to parrrrtay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Does RX 470 satisfy the "minimum requirements" for VR?

nope

970/390 is the official bare minimum for VR and its slower than both.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HalloKitty posted:

They should not have launched with/should now axe the 8GB 470 and the 4GB 480, to clean-up the line-up.

By the time those "$200-220 MSRP" 470s makes their way through availability fuckups it will make the Zotac Mini 1060 that I can actually order right now on Amazon look like a steal for $250.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

RX 470 and RX 480 are way too close together. AMD would have been more consistent with previous nomenclature by calling the cards RX 480 and RX 480X. In the 200 and 300 series, the xx0X card was a full chip at high clock speed, while xx0 was a chip with disabled units and reduced clocks.

Does RX 470 satisfy the "minimum requirements" for VR? If so, AMD should have launched RX 470 & 480 simultaneously and never even mentioned a 4GB RX 480.

AMD screwed up by making an 8 GB RX 470 and a 4GB RX 480. If you remove those two the product line makes way more sense. I think they did the 4GB RX 480 solely for marketing purposes which...if that's the case then why the hell didn't they just release the RX 470 at the same time? :psyduck:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

axeil posted:

AMD screwed up by making an 8 GB RX 470 and a 4GB RX 480. If you remove those two the product line makes way more sense. I think they did the 4GB RX 480 solely for marketing purposes which...if that's the case then why the hell didn't they just release the RX 470 at the same time? :psyduck:

Maybe the production capacity wasn't there or they didn't have enough engineering capacity to finish both cards at the same time and they really wanted to beat the 1060 to the market and figured the mid range segment is more profitable? (this post is 100% pure speculation).

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 5, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I gave GPU passthrough a try, to free up one of my machines for other stuff.

The GPU part works great. Moving from a 2500k to a 4590 (non-K) canceled out the downsides of being virtualized. Didn't even require a reinstall, I just slapped my SSD and GPU in my linux box and went with it.

Anyone know if nVidia still has a stick up their rear end about virtualizing non-quadro cards? There was a bunch of outrage when the drivers first started throwing code 43 a while back, but either they gave up or people gave up on using nvidia GPUs for this, and nobody's really talking about it anymore.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Harik posted:

I gave GPU passthrough a try, to free up one of my machines for other stuff.

The GPU part works great. Moving from a 2500k to a 4590 (non-K) canceled out the downsides of being virtualized. Didn't even require a reinstall, I just slapped my SSD and GPU in my linux box and went with it.

Anyone know if nVidia still has a stick up their rear end about virtualizing non-quadro cards? There was a bunch of outrage when the drivers first started throwing code 43 a while back, but either they gave up or people gave up on using nvidia GPUs for this, and nobody's really talking about it anymore.

Apparently yes, but if you're using KVM there's a way to hide that it's a virtual machine

Though I haven't done it myself but I've been reading various VFIO guides and that's what they say

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Some sites are getting better at their reporting, but there are more new sites it seems coming up and muddying the waters that it brings the whole average quality of reviews down. Ugh.

On the enthusiast side of things, the new Titan XP doesn't have any special abilities cooked in like the OG Titan did that would warrant a 1080Ti being slotted in Above the Titan like the 780Ti ended up being would it?

I was so drat pissed I didn't wait for that over the 780's I got but at the same time, that was a very short lived Ti era since the 900 series seemed to drop what 3 months after? And lasted for 2 years at that. The 780's were drat good cards though so I really don't regret getting 2 of them when I did.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Some sites are getting better at their reporting, but there are more new sites it seems coming up and muddying the waters that it brings the whole average quality of reviews down. Ugh.

On the enthusiast side of things, the new Titan XP doesn't have any special abilities cooked in like the OG Titan did that would warrant a 1080Ti being slotted in Above the Titan like the 780Ti ended up being would it?

I was so drat pissed I didn't wait for that over the 780's I got but at the same time, that was a very short lived Ti era since the 900 series seemed to drop what 3 months after? And lasted for 2 years at that. The 780's were drat good cards though so I really don't regret getting 2 of them when I did.

The Titan XP does not have any special capability, at least according to JayzTwoCents who pretty extensively grilled the Nvidia reps on the subject when they talked to the press about the card.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What do you expect the performance delta to be for a ti compared to a 1080? Speculation is that it has 3328 Cuda cores, which is 30% more than 2560 on the 1080.

Even if you assume straight 30% performance scaling (which it won't be because TPU has Titan XP performance at +30% despite +50% gpu upscaling over GP102 (1080)), it only becomes the better buy if it comes in at an 899 price tag and we assume 1080s start at 699, and only marginally at that.

It's worse, even if we assume +30% performance, if priced at 999, and when you take into account the 649 1080s available, it becomes even less value for money.

But if the ti is only really going to add up to +20% performance, and if we assume similar OC limits (say, 2.1ghz) then aren't we looking at undeniable worse price to performance at the 899 price point? If so, that makes the 1080 probably the first x80 card to be a better buy for the money than the x80ti card, doesn't it? Unless, of course, the ti slots in at 799 which doesn't make much sense.

I also am stupid and may have stuffed up my percentages, so please correct me if I did.

I don't know, I don't really sweat the technical details, I just look at performance. If it can give me 95 FPS on 3440x1440 in pretty much everything then I would be happy. I don't think the 1080 can do that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ok, so if computer has started randomly going to black screen while I'm just browsing internet pages or even just sitting down in front of it, that means something's breaking, right? I haven't seen it happen while playing games or stressing out the card, just randomly in the middle of nothing.

Brand-new system, windows 10, RX 480 (the XFX factory OC model). Seems to be happening since the latest drivers.
Is the whole signal dropping out or is it Windows itself going to a black screen? Just asking about the former cause I've had what appeared to be a bad cable causing it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I remember that being a consistent 380 and 280 issue that was never fixed afaik. Seems unlikely to be the same problem but just in case that becomes a common report there is a little precedence

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So since old Pascal slides show Volta as being like double the performance of Pascal, would it not make sense to wait for 2018? If a Titan XP can give playable 4k, I can only imagine what GTX 1180 would do for gamers at large.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I installed my new 1070 and it's freaking night and day compared to my old 960 holy gently caress. Have a problem though, there's screen tearing when browsing with Chrome, might this be related to the latest nvidia drivers I just installed?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SlayVus posted:

So since old Pascal slides show Volta as being like double the performance of Pascal, would it not make sense to wait for 2018? If a Titan XP can give playable 4k, I can only imagine what GTX 1180 would do for gamers at large.

But then the newer than Volta thing is shown.... you may need to wait till 2019! :engleft:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

But then the newer than Volta thing is shown.... you may need to wait till 2019! :engleft:

He's not wrong really, if you want to play at 4k, unless you have a (new) Titan your min fps will be under 60 which may or may not be acceptable to you without a *sync display.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you're buying titans you're paying fat fuckoff sums so you don't have to have something other than the best. You don't have to give a poo poo about waiting because you can pay for the best and the best after that. If you do, why aren't you dropping down to an x80Ti or x80 from each generation and getting considerably better performance next generation in return for slightly better performance now and missing out on a fuckload of losses to depreciation.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Even for VR, you need 4k+@90 FPS because you can greatly increase graphical fidelity using render target multipliers. With the Vive a 1.4x render multiplier is like 4460x2357 and 2.0x 6372x3367. Some games even require high render multipliers just to make text readable in VR.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My goal in life is to be able to afford Titans without a second thought.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Same, but tesla or the new SSD equipped radeons

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

VostokProgram posted:

Apparently yes, but if you're using KVM there's a way to hide that it's a virtual machine

Though I haven't done it myself but I've been reading various VFIO guides and that's what they say

Yes, but you do that by disabling the features that make it work fast. I'd have to find a way to rent a 1070 to see if it works on my setup before committing $500 to it.

Of course, I need to also give up on my M-Series keyboard and buy a ~~gaming~~ USB, since exactly zero PS2->USB adapters seem to work through the USB forwarding no matter how I set it up. Or I could hack up the QEMU PS/2 emulation to take an input device instead of listening to X11 events...

If it was easy it wouldn't be this much fun, I suppose.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

Yes, but you do that by disabling the features that make it work fast. I'd have to find a way to rent a 1070 to see if it works on my setup before committing $500 to it.

Of course, I need to also give up on my M-Series keyboard and buy a ~~gaming~~ USB, since exactly zero PS2->USB adapters seem to work through the USB forwarding no matter how I set it up. Or I could hack up the QEMU PS/2 emulation to take an input device instead of listening to X11 events...

If it was easy it wouldn't be this much fun, I suppose.

unRAID is almost bare metal virtualization os. https://lime-technology.com/try-it/

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Haha god drat, it's literally cheaper to import both a 1070 and a new PSU from overseas than it is to just waltz into a shop on foot and pay for a 1070 that way. :australia:

Better ENBs on skyrim, here I come! Because I don't think I actually ever play anything else these days that's not CPU bottlenecked instead of GPU. :shepspends:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Josh Lyman posted:

Mine is to never dehumanize myself and face to JHH, but to have the money for a decent car.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Cars are overrated , just amazon hot pockets and clif bars and enjoy your quad titans

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I want to underclock a graphics card to elimanate some coil whine which I can do using AMD OverDrive.

I was wondering whether it is possible to make this permanent so it stays underclocked no matter what PC I put it in.

Is it right to think that underclocking will reduce the maximum number of frames per second the GPU can render? Will it also reduce the minimum number of frames per second the GPU can render as well?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KingEup posted:

I want to underclock a graphics card to elimanate some coil whine which I can do using AMD OverDrive.

I was wondering whether it is possible to make this permanent so it stays underclocked no matter what PC I put it in.

Is it right to think that underclocking will reduce the maximum number of frames per second the GPU can render? Will it also reduce the minimum number of frames per second the GPU can render as well?

You might be able to gently caress with the maximum voltage in maxwell bios tweaker or something and then just flash the modified bios?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SlayVus posted:

unRAID is almost bare metal virtualization os. https://lime-technology.com/try-it/

I've been eyeing that, but after having dealt with Codeweavers and Crossover many eons ago to play my Windows games on Linux in a barely-stable fashion, I am skeptical.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
What's the absolute cheapest mobo+cpu combo that won't bottleneck a 1070?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Otakufag posted:

What's the absolute cheapest mobo+cpu combo that won't bottleneck a 1070?

That totally depends on the game. Some games are just CPU intensive and will pretty much always bottleneck a decent GPU. I would not put it on anything less than a quadcore Skylake.

The standard recommendation for midrange gaming is a 6600K with a Z170 motherboard. If you have a Microcenter around, you could get the 6600K with an Asrock Z170M for $210 + $95 - $30 bundle discount + tax, - $20 rebate, which would work out to around $275 here.

If you want to go cheaper, you could get a 6500 with a MSI B150I for $180 + $60 - $30 bundle discount + tax, which would be about $225 here. This still is a quadcore but a slower one that's not unlocked for overclocking. The B150 is also a lesser chipset that drops you to 8x PCIe lanes, but that won't unduly hurt in most situations (it's equivalent to PCIe 2.0x16).

The 6600K is 22% faster on average before overclocking, and 35% faster after overclocking.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 6, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I've been eyeing that, but after having dealt with Codeweavers and Crossover many eons ago to play my Windows games on Linux in a barely-stable fashion, I am skeptical.

Linus has done multiple videos featuring unRAID. Including a 2 gamers 1 desktop and 7 gamers 1 desktop using 7 r9 nanos with water blocks. You trade off like 3-5fps to have 2+ machines in one.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

With unraid you wouldn't be running your games on linux, you'd be running them on a windows VM. It'll be slightly slower but you won't run into compatibility issues once you have the machine up and running.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Goddamn, I wish NVidia would finally fix the clocking issue when running more than one display at high refresh rate.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
EVGA B-stock refreshed and price-dropped. 970s for $175, 980 Tis for $300-320 (including the Classified and Hybrid). Shipping is ~$17 for a card.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Horn posted:

With unraid you wouldn't be running your games on linux, you'd be running them on a windows VM. It'll be slightly slower but you won't run into compatibility issues once you have the machine up and running.

I was going to be running games and CAD in qemu VMs anyways, I'm still not seeing the upshot that comes from shelling out.

SlayVus posted:

Linus has done multiple videos featuring unRAID. Including a 2 gamers 1 desktop and 7 gamers 1 desktop using 7 r9 nanos with water blocks. You trade off like 3-5fps to have 2+ machines in one.

I am aware of this, but I'm skeptical of anything that purports to solve what ails me for the price of an OS license.

That's how Microsoft got to be where it is, after all. And between Linus and I, I don't have sponsored videos or tech support on-call.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 6, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm, the high refresh rate bug only appears when G-Sync is enabled. I'm wondering, is it somehow possible to disable it on one display only, when there's two G-Sync capable displays?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 6, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's always so amusing how the AMD contingent will dump on the 1070 and 1080's MSRP, and then turn around and defend the RX 480 to the bitter end even though there's nary a unit in stock for less than $300.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's always so amusing how the AMD contingent will dump on the 1070 and 1080's MSRP, and then turn around and defend the RX 480 to the bitter end even though there's nary a unit in stock for less than $300.

There's new meme: "But-but-but Doom Vulkan on Polaris makes the atrocious DX11 performance excusable!"

And they wonder why AMD keeps losing marketshare.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
You know that feeling when you were right all along but the outcome is sad so you're just ...sad ? Like 1 upping a funeral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Even the die-hards are starting to get restless now that the RX 470 pricing is also totally boned.