Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Popete posted:

Regarding base interior. Is it worth setting stone floors or even just smoothing the rock? Do I need to build walls or are my settlers happy with just the default rock walls from mining.

If you hit the icon that looks like a head in the bottom right corner of the screen you can mouse over things and see the mood effects that they have. I don't believe that they dislike stone walls (you cannot smooth the walls, only the floors) but bear in mind that making rooms in mountains is begging for infestations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
In the bottom right of the UI there is a little head shaped icon, clicking that will show all of the beauty modifiers of everything in the world. Bare stone floor and walls give -1 per tile so it really adds up as ugly. Wood & metal floors and walls are neutral at 0 and things like marble & slate are +1 (or 2?) I believe. Depending on how big your rooms are, flooring can have a huge impact on your early game mood.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
flooring also has an impact on move speed, and if you tile your outdoor walkways colonists will track less dirt inside - at the very least i tile the immediate area outside of a door

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, flooring us pretty cheap and by giving everyone a 5x5 bedroom with wood floors, a lamp, and a potted plant you can avoid a ton of mood debuffs

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

rimworld is actually a game. i don't think of DF as a game so much as a dwarf management simulator / art project. it's like some old school late 90's flight sim where all you do is fly a plane in as realistic an environment as possible, except instead of light aviation it's drunken dwarf brawls

Dwarf fortress has fairly lengthy list of tedious hoops to jump through to establish a strong base at which point you can do fun game stuff, but I can see why you'd say it's a management simulator.

Really the biggest issue with DF is that the performance degrades to unplayability over time due to the game being single threaded. I've lost more DF games to FPS death than anything else. Tarn Adams has been evasive about when if ever DF will be modernized to actually take a advantage of modern hardware so I'd not hold my breath and I'd not recommend DF till it's fixed personally. Right now it remains a game that is more fun to read about than to actually play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DF will never be "fixed" because the developer would rather make it so the game tracks every individual stamen on all the plants than work on optimization

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Smoothed stone floors are more beautiful than most other floor types I think.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FileNotFound posted:

Dwarf fortress has fairly lengthy list of tedious hoops to jump through to establish a strong base at which point you can do fun game stuff, but I can see why you'd say it's a management simulator.

Just lazily throwing out http://lazynewbpack.com/

Because I'm lazy and a newb when it comes to DF. I doubt that will ever change.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've hit a wall in my current game. Now the big shortage is components. I've researched most of the spaceship parts but I doubt I'll have the resources to build it anytime soon. My best guy is a one armed peg legged grenade toting asthmatic.

Theres a chamber with mechtoids but exploratory saves indicate that the centipede inside is too hard to kill. The peeps that wake up from their pods are also all hostile.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I've hit a wall in my current game. Now the big shortage is components. I've researched most of the spaceship parts but I doubt I'll have the resources to build it anytime soon. My best guy is a one armed peg legged grenade toting asthmatic.

Theres a chamber with mechtoids but exploratory saves indicate that the centipede inside is too hard to kill. The peeps that wake up from their pods are also all hostile.

You can make components on a bench, it's just really expensive

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Like steel, it helps your end game by, in your early game, making buying up as much components as possible with every passing trade a very high priority.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Like steel, it helps your end game by, in your early game, making buying up as much components as possible with every passing trade a very high priority.

Does the game still make stuff break more often when you hoard components, ensuring that stockpiling them is completely useless?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Third night thunderstorm (I think it called it a flashstorm?) set my entire map on fire. There goes that settlement, I guess. I fought back one tree that went up but then everyone went to bed and it was only in the morning that I zoomed out and saw like 8 other out of control blazes heading at me from all corners. Welp.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taerkar posted:

Smoothed stone floors are more beautiful than most other floor types I think.

Yeah, 3 beauty each at the cost of time. Nothing else is really better barring giving everyone solid gold or silver floors (and silver floors might just be 3 beauty too)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaa

Zigmidge posted:

I've started doing this. I'm now effectively a Turkey farm attempting to build poacher security.

Tail the one-footed neurotic and Riu the woman-hating architect have gotten married. Ben's father turned up trailing a fairly large of pirates who caused quite a lot of damage, and his daughter-in-law apparently hates him. Mikhail's in a bit of a spiral after his Husky died. I think the penalties for bonded animals are a little deeper than they should be.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Elth posted:

Does the game still make stuff break more often when you hoard components, ensuring that stockpiling them is completely useless?

Considering this is tynan's preferred way to introduce balance in an alpha I wouldn't doubt it still being true. Money in, money out.

That being said, stockpiling anything is never useless. I don't know why you would say that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Really? Which type of workbench to make them?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lesson learned, never sell components! Or steel. At least when you have comms set up you get passing merchants from orbit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Really? Which type of workbench to make them?

IIRC you have to research a special components assembly bench, it's a late game kind of thing

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
also the bench itself requires something like 30 components to build, so i wouldn't exactly consider it to be a stopgap solution

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Glass posted:

also the bench itself requires something like 30 components to build, so i wouldn't exactly consider it to be a stopgap solution

Yeah and the components themselves require a pile of steel for each of them. It's just a "I have no other choice, I need a hundred components" option

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mr. Glass posted:

i managed to get the components for mine after totally running out by rushing a siege camp before it completely set up, it left a pile of components

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i managed to get the components for mine after totally running out by rushing a siege camp before it completely set up, it left a pile of components

Blitzing siege camps is such an awesome way to get materials of all types.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khisanth Magus posted:

Blitzing siege camps is such an awesome way to get materials of all types.

I generally just wait til they all go to sleep then murder them with melee

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
All of Fluffy's mods are great, but this one is especially necessary I feel: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726244033

It adds a maintenance requirement to any component building, so a pawn with repair prioritized can spend some time maintaining it, instead of having a never-ending component sink that actively discourages you from building things like autodoors.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

DF will never be "fixed" because the developer would rather make it so the game tracks every individual stamen on all the plants than work on optimization

i dont see anything wrong with that. if DF remains an unplayable arcane mess forever it's still an amazing accomplishment. it doesn't have to meet any standards except toady's standards, i dont care how unfun or hard to play it actually is because it spawned a genre of df-likes that can pick up the mantle of gameplay while toady goes on developing the most insane PC game ever for hopefully decades to come

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i hope that dwarf fortress becomes impossible to play without a 2000 page manual or hours and hours of video tutorials from extreme shutins who devote themselves to the game with monklike adherence because there's no video game with that level of unnecessary complexity and drat it there should be

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Does it actually matter if other tribes like my guys? I just tried to arrest a drifter and now his tribe doesn't like me. I still get traders from another group who don't like me so I'm guessing it's not that big a deal?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

i hope that dwarf fortress becomes impossible to play without a 2000 page manual or hours and hours of video tutorials from extreme shutins who devote themselves to the game with monklike adherence because there's no video game with that level of unnecessary complexity and drat it there should be

Someone has never played a flight simulator.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

i dont see anything wrong with that. if DF remains an unplayable arcane mess forever it's still an amazing accomplishment. it doesn't have to meet any standards except toady's standards, i dont care how unfun or hard to play it actually is because it spawned a genre of df-likes that can pick up the mantle of gameplay while toady goes on developing the most insane PC game ever for hopefully decades to come

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the indecipherable mass that is DF from afar. It's just that if someone asks "has it gotten easier to play" the general answer will be "no but you can use guard chinchillas now"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Popete posted:

And that's before the spergs modded it to high hell and added more planes and all the buttons clickable, working fully realistically.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Walton Simons posted:

Does it actually matter if other tribes like my guys? I just tried to arrest a drifter and now his tribe doesn't like me. I still get traders from another group who don't like me so I'm guessing it's not that big a deal?

Groups that hate you will send raids, groups that like you will trade and sometimes help defend you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Why is it rated T???

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Why is it rated T???

Poor me as a 9 year old kid when Falcon 4.0 released. I begged my parents to get it for me, my brothers were pissed cause it meant we didn't get Grim Fandango instead. I had no idea what the hell I was doing, I somehow got the thing to fly and shoot it's cannons but I remember just randomly exploding a lot.

I still have the binder somewhere, it was written by an actual F-16 pilot if I remember correctly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Popete posted:

Poor me as a 9 year old kid when Falcon 4.0 released. I begged my parents to get it for me, my brothers were pissed cause it meant we didn't get Grim Fandango instead. I had no idea what the hell I was doing, I somehow got the the to fly and shoot it's cannons but I remember just randomly exploding a lot.

Randomly exploding a lot is the goal of flight sims I think, much like losing your colony to a manhunting boomrat

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

It probably won't. When tynan expanded the combat system the first time the entire nerd world had a fit because they're all boring fuckers and that was the last we ever heard of plans to expand combat.

People don't want to micro colonists in a battle (I do) they actually want uninspired unengaging kill boxes. Embrasures is one of the most popular mods for that reason alone.

I want unengaging killboxes because the game likes to send 500 raiders at a time at me and it renders individual control in battle irrelevant because I'm guaranteed to lose without a killbox in the first place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Easier to play, ten thousand times yes, easier to "win", imo no.

Rim world having active animations and a graphical overview makes it way easier to play, and the game is fairly self explanatory once you get things going. There are some quirks here and there but generally it's a lot easier to control.

That being said, disasters like raids, packs of maneating animals, heat waves, etc. come a lot faster and hit a lot harder than in DF, at least in the start. In DF you might have a goblin running around snatching stuff or someone might get crushed by a rock, but generally losing one dwarf out of 30 isn't bad. But when you lose one colonist out of four it can be a pretty heavy blow, especially if the rest get injured as well.

Rim world is definitely less complicated, yes, mostly because there isn't the insane precision to the game that DF has. So it's fun, don't worry.

On the other hand, having your entire military wiped out because they cannot remember to pack ammo for their crossbows doesn't happen in rimworld.

I've never managed to reliably kill anything in DF, whereas killing stuff in rimworld is very much a matter of good tactics.

Azhais posted:

I generally just wait til they all go to sleep then murder them with melee

Mood +20, played counting coup with enemy mortar crew.

Actually, gently caress that would be a completely 100% logical bonus for tribal societies...

FileNotFound posted:

Except walls. Do not build wood walls unless you just like watching everything burn....

Building wood walls with stone separators between rooms in mountains however may be regarded as bug insurance.

Zigmidge posted:

It probably won't. When tynan expanded the combat system the first time the entire nerd world had a fit because they're all boring fuckers and that was the last we ever heard of plans to expand combat.

People don't want to micro colonists in a battle (I do) they actually want uninspired unengaging kill boxes. Embrasures is one of the most popular mods for that reason alone.

Embrasures I think is pretty fair as a mod because the game does default to being pretty hard to win at. And just having embrasures doesn't make you invincible because grenadiers will gently caress you up hard if you try to turtle. It just gives you a good fallback point and helps a lot with animal packs. It's still good to make defence in depth by picking off more dangerous enemies with skirmishing and then retreating back to your fortifications when they're reduced to just gun troops.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 5, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Owl Fancier all of that is so besides the point why did you even bother

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand, having your entire military wiped out because they cannot remember to pack ammo for their crossbows doesn't happen in rimworld.

Well, unless you have combat realism installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Well, unless you have combat realism installed

Does the new version work OK? The forums thread seemed to suggest it was pretty broken.