Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will have the better offseason?
This poll is closed.
Montreal 19 14.29%
Edmonton 65 48.87%
Vancouver 49 36.84%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

The Hobey Baker.

Although historically that hasn't been a sign of talent.

actually we can probably guess that Vesey will either be really good (Eichel, Gaudreau, Kariya, Drury) or complete poo poo (literally everyone else who has won the award)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Winning the Hobey Baker in your senior year at age 23 is not much of an accomplishment. Hell, he wasn't even the best player in the NCAA this year. I have no idea why teams are promising him top six ice time already. He has a lot more in common with Mat Gilroy than Johnny Gaudreau until he proves otherwise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because once he's signed they don't actually have to keep their promise.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Aphrodite posted:

The Hobey Baker.

Although historically that hasn't been a sign of talent.

See Gilroy, Matt

E: drat you thinktank

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
if I had to put money on it I'd bank on Vesey being a Kevin Hayes level player. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that obviously, Hayes is a good player, I just think Vesey's value has been crazy inflated.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I imagine the expansion is going to color a lot of team's perspectives

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who do you guys think are the most underrated players in the NHL right now?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who do you guys think are the most underrated players in the NHL right now?

Is the answer still Loui Eriksson?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Did this pic just confirm Blake Wheeler as the new captain, or did they just use an old 16 Ladd

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Infidel Castro posted:

Is the answer still Loui Eriksson?

I hope so for the sake of the canucks in the post-benning/linden/willie D era, may that come to pass very soon indeed

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
College UFAs are basically like a good first round pick for free, straight to an ELC. Every team wants good, cost controlled young players without giving up any assets. All upside.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Zodijackylite posted:

College UFAs are basically like a good first round pick for free, straight to an ELC. Every team wants good, cost controlled young players without giving up any assets. All upside.

College UFA? I prefer to call them Free Wallets

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Did this pic just confirm Blake Wheeler as the new captain, or did they just use an old 16 Ladd

they did the same thing to the Oilers so who knows

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/761615789816483842

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

veseys value is high because the value of a player who can potentially produce points on an elc is as high as its ever been and will keep gettig higher pretty much. additionally many people hghly value nashvilles ability to gauge amateur talent, and they were willing to assure him a top six role, reportedly, so a scouting staff thats highly regarded by some smart guys liked him a lot, a lot

obv doesnt necessarily translate much but another factor im sure taken into consideration is that vesey is an 'athlete', hes a cardio freak of nature and hes 'thick' (like scouts seem to covet now). for me the hayes bros comparison isnt so good cause vesey is a much more physically conditioned guy than either of them have or wil ever be. theres utility there cause he can be a dog for the puck

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Bruins will sign him, then dump him after two seasons for "reasons" in exchange for 2-3 players that will be gone the following season.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

Bruins will sign him, then dump him after two seasons for "reasons" in exchange for 2-3 players that will be gone the following season.

Youre taking all the fun out of this.

Alternative; Bruins nab him for one year, has an amazing first season, they hand him Toews money then he promptly turns into garbage. Like, were talking full Daigle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's called Voracek money.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Youre taking all the fun out of this.

Alternative; Bruins nab him for one year, has an amazing first season, they hand him Toews money then he promptly turns into garbage. Like, were talking full Daigle.

Or he has a handful of good seasons and gets concussed by say... Alex Killorn or Antoine Roussel.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

if I had to put money on it I'd bank on Vesey being a Kevin Hayes level player. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that obviously, Hayes is a good player, I just think Vesey's value has been crazy inflated.

Hayes was a second round pick who had 45 points in the NHL at the same age as Vesey is now. If Vesey ends up being anywhere near as good as Hayes it'll be pretty surprising.

e: eh I'm tired and discounted Vesey a bit. Still think Hayes is a best case scenario for Vesey.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Cool cause they're going to be playing together on the Rangers :getin:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

Cool cause they're going to be playing together on the Rangers :getin:

Until they both earn pay raises in 2 years but cant since Dan Girardi is still on the books and forces them to ship one out for nothing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Winning the Hobey Baker in your senior year at age 23 is not much of an accomplishment.

lol

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

There really aren't many guys who've won the Hobey Baker in their senior year, then gone on to make any sort of impact in the NHL. Brendan Morrison and Chris Drury are about the only ones who have.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

St. Dogbert posted:

There really aren't many guys who've won the Hobey Baker in their senior year, then gone on to make any sort of impact in the NHL. Brendan Morrison and Chris Drury are about the only ones who have.

Then he should have said its not idicitave of NHL success. It's an incredible accomplishment.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
From the "How dumb is your fanbase?" files:

So, I follow the Flames Facebook. They published a short list article today talking about the top 5 prospects, and it included everybody you'd expect: Tkachuk, Gillies, etc. Now, they have a thing on their page that allows you to comment with your facebook account. And one guy suggested, I poo poo you not, that Calgary send Dennis Wideman to Edmonton for Nuge or Eberle. Granted, I'd be doing cartwheels if they did that, but how much of a homer do you have to be to think Edmonton would do that? I know the Larsson for Hall trade just happened, but a)Larsson is 23 and Wideman is 33, b) Larsson makes 1.1 million less and c) is a better defender. Where do people get these ideas?

Penguins fans, are people still demanding Crosby be traded?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Until they both earn pay raises in 2 years but cant since Dan Girardi is still on the books and forces them to ship one out for nothing.

Won't we have a strike by then anyway? Compliance time.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

one guy suggested, I poo poo you not, that Calgary send Dennis Wideman to Edmonton for Nuge or Eberle.

There was a narrative when the Flames made their miracle run to the post-season two years ago that they had the best defense group in the league, and somehow the credit spilled over not just to Brodie and Giordano but also all of the useless secondary pieces. Part of that narrative is that Dennis Wideman is a 50 point defenceman.

Everyone over-rates their own players.. actually usually Oilers fans are pretty reasonable. They've learned to expect nothing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

Won't we have a strike by then anyway? Compliance time.

OK but that still leaves Marc Staal.

Jesus I never actually looked at the Rags roster and contracts but uh.... they really do need to win before Hank retires. :stare:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

St. Dogbert posted:

it is still an incredible accomplishment

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

OK but that still leaves Marc Staal.

Jesus I never actually looked at the Rags roster and contracts but uh.... they really do need to win before Hank retires. :stare:

They do, yeah. Sather took a big poo poo on his way out with the wonder twins contracts.

But hey, gently caress it, we're on Gortons train now let's see where he takes it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

bewbies posted:

it is still an incredible accomplishment

The most incredible thing about it is that Connor didn't win

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

From the "How dumb is your fanbase?" files:

So, I follow the Flames Facebook. They published a short list article today talking about the top 5 prospects, and it included everybody you'd expect: Tkachuk, Gillies, etc. Now, they have a thing on their page that allows you to comment with your facebook account. And one guy suggested, I poo poo you not, that Calgary send Dennis Wideman to Edmonton for Nuge or Eberle. Granted, I'd be doing cartwheels if they did that, but how much of a homer do you have to be to think Edmonton would do that? I know the Larsson for Hall trade just happened, but a)Larsson is 23 and Wideman is 33, b) Larsson makes 1.1 million less and c) is a better defender. Where do people get these ideas?

Penguins fans, are people still demanding Crosby be traded?

Who care bitch

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Lesson(s) to be learned here:

Don't read the comments on your team's Facebook.
Don't read the comments section of your newspaper.
Don't read social media.
Don't read.
Don't.
D.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

A fun hobey baker "joke": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibFVd1i9OE

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duke Chin posted:

actually the most exciting about Vesey, to me, is that if Boston signs him and he turns out to be good, they won't get rid of him because of the same sort of idiot logic they used to get rid of Seguin.

WELL HE'S A BOSTON BOY. HOME TOWN KID. HARD WORKER. BRUIN FOR LIFE.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Starsfan posted:

There was a narrative when the Flames made their miracle run to the post-season two years ago that they had the best defense group in the league, and somehow the credit spilled over not just to Brodie and Giordano but also all of the useless secondary pieces. Part of that narrative is that Dennis Wideman is a 50 point defenceman.

Everyone over-rates their own players.. actually usually Oilers fans are pretty reasonable. They've learned to expect nothing.

No, Montreal and their fanbase is pretty good at undervaluing their players

Heh

Heh

:smith:

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

I know this without even clicking and you can tell he realizes he should turn left just seconds late

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

on spec posted:

Who care bitch

You know you're right, what we really need is another one of your posts that looks it was typed by somebody having a stroke

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Captain Internet posted:

I know this without even clicking and you can tell he realizes he should turn left just seconds late

Don't start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Paulocaust posted:

Then he should have said its not idicitave of NHL success. It's an incredible accomplishment.

I think most people inferred from the context that I meant in terms of it translating to becoming a high level NHLer, but sure go ahead and be a pedant.

• Locked thread