Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Finally hit level 26, and got my Dragonite last night. This game couldn't have come at a better time, I've never been more motivated on my runs. I don't know how some of these people are level 30+, but then I can only play the game a 1-2 hrs during the weekday, and a few hours on the weekend.

Still super fun. I was at a large Go meet at a bar which had a gym, and every hour whoever's team Color controlled the gym won prizes. When Instinct took the gym at 11, everyone went nuts.

Game is not perfect, but I've had a ton of fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dahbadu posted:

Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is also apparently a hotspot. But I loving hate going into the city. I prefer my local redwoods, parks and lakes.

go west to fort mason for a very active squirtle habitat, the docks spawn dratinis
go a litter further west to the walt disney museum for a great bulbsaur habitat
crissey field to the north is a snorlax nest, you can catch one every few hours

SF is an amazing place to catch almost every pokemon

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

The increased amount of attacks and jumps the Pokemon do is annoying as poo poo. I don't know if that's actually a thing that happened or just conjecture, but it feels real. The capture rate can feel a bit brutal, but not always, so I can believe that it wasn't actually increased. The attacks though, drat.

It was actually increased, and its a bug. Confirmed by Niantic on their twitter.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Finally hit level 26, and got my Dragonite last night. This game couldn't have come at a better time, I've never been more motivated on my runs. I don't know how some of these people are level 30+, but then I can only play the game a 1-2 hrs during the weekday, and a few hours on the weekend.

A+ puns on the names.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah Face Palm is an incredible name for an Exeggutor

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Still super fun. I was at a large Go meet at a bar which had a gym, and every hour whoever's team Color controlled the gym won prizes. When Instinct took the gym at 11, everyone went nuts.

Game is not perfect, but I've had a ton of fun with it.

it's "skulkraken", one L, you dufus. way to embarrass yourself

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

it's "skulkraken", one L, you dufus. way to embarrass yourself

Dammit! I'd restart my account, but living with the shame is the only way I'll learn.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Countblanc posted:

way to embarrass yourself

He's already Instinct, he's way ahead of that train

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

He's already Instinct, he's way ahead of that train

My favorite Pokemon is Marowak, I'm used to Disappointment.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

HardDisk posted:

gently caress yes. If my office were on the other side of the building, I would keep hitting this pokestop on the other side of the street all day.

Right across the street from my work is a pokestop. It'd be so great if I could jusT move my GPS twenty feet to be on it.

That said, since none of the tracking apps work, it doesn't matter because my days off playing pokemon just means heading to the ingress farm and collecting items instead of hunting pokemon or something actually fun that wOuld require item gathering on work days.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fusion Restaurant posted:

A+ puns on the names.

LaprasLazuli is amazing

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quistis made me laugh the most though

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Is there a meme behind quistis that I don't get or

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Roar posted:

Is there a meme behind quistis that I don't get or

She's a character from Final Fantasy 8 that primarily uses whips to attack and Venusaur has vine whip attacks so

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm only 100km in. ;_;

And my legs have decided that's quite enough walking and have gotten entirely stuck for the next few weeks.

Almost as if this walking game wasn't made for people not very mobile.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My bitching post:

I, too, am frustrated with the nearby thing. I've had so many things pop up in the last day or two that I couldn't find:

These are all shadows, btw.

Both bulbasaur and squirtle evos.
Two moth type things, I think. Might have been butterfree and a moth.
Both nido king/queen.
Beedrill.
Electabuzz like 6 times today.
Gengar, I think.
Some sort of spikey thing...not sure which that was.
Pidgeo. The top evo of that line..whatever the name is.
Raichu.
Dugtrio.

Probably more that I am forgetting.
This game is a constant tease.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I finally found a Gastly on the drat map for the first time ever. I had my game open since I was driving home and trying to get some egg distance, and as I was coming up to a stop sign, the noise goes off. I look, and there's Gastly. The second I stop and pick up my phone, it disappears. Literally could not have been more than 5 seconds after it spawned, and less than a few feet away from it.

So much for increasing the distance they'll hang around for when they show up on the map. :mad:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Norse Code posted:

It would also be cool if you got like, 1 more candy than normal if you caught a more evolved version of something, like 3 candies for a Nidoran male, and 4 candies for a Nidorino.

:agreed:

Also you should get more candy if you transfer an evolved mon, like for example 2 for Pidgeotto and 3 for Pidgeot.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Willsun posted:

She's a character from Final Fantasy 8 that primarily uses whips to attack and Venusaur has vine whip attacks so

Ah, okay, I didn't get the connection but now it makes perfect sense thanks internet friend

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hrist posted:

So I finally found a Gastly on the drat map for the first time ever. I had my game open since I was driving home and trying to get some egg distance, and as I was coming up to a stop sign, the noise goes off. I look, and there's Gastly. The second I stop and pick up my phone, it disappears. Literally could not have been more than 5 seconds after it spawned, and less than a few feet away from it.

So much for increasing the distance they'll hang around for when they show up on the map. :mad:

It might have been the timing too, from what I saw when the scanners worked, they only hang around for 15 minutes after they spawn. You may have seen it right before it was set to leave.

There's a park near where I work that used to be full of Magnemites and Voltorbs, but since the shuffle they've been replaced by Geodudes and Gastlys. Seems like a good trade to me.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I know it's been mentioned before but I'm just confirming it here. Egg contents are determined when you get it from the Pokestop, not when it hatches. I finally burned through my 4000 pidgey/weedle/rattata candies last night and went from 21 to 26, and a couple eggs just hatched and the pokemon in side were decidedly underleveled.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eggs cap out at level 20 though, don't they? And aren't they still somewhat randomized, so you can still get low or high CP regardless?

You always seem really cranky so please be nice to me if I'm wrong

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I think eggs cap out at 30. Also basically everything I've gotten out of eggs has always been like top 15% CP and I just had 2 eggs in a row that were like barely half full.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

randomly hatched two Eggsecutes on my walk today, just decided to evolve the highest CP one and, well would ya lookat that:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
"May as well catch this Pidgeotto" I think to myself, not paying attention to its CP. First ball capture, neat!

Oh.

I feel like I'd be the one paying Willow a candy to take this one off my hands.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Willsun posted:

She's also a SeeD (What FF8 calls its equivilent of Soilders, for those who haven't played it, because anime), and Bubla/Ivy/Venusaur are described as the "Seed Pokemon" in the Pokedex

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 5, 2016

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

I think eggs cap out at 30. Also basically everything I've gotten out of eggs has always been like top 15% CP and I just had 2 eggs in a row that were like barely half full.

Reddit dataminers claim eggs cap at 20 and wild mons cap at 30, for whatever that's worth.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Modus Pwnens posted:

Reddit dataminers claim eggs cap at 20 and wild mons cap at 30, for whatever that's worth.
If that's true then that sucks because I was enjoying basically always getting max CP pokemon from all my eggs. This game sure likes to punish you for being higher level.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I really hope Niantic fixes capture rates soon because I had the first Bulbasaur I've seen run on me after two Great Balls. It was CP 453 too!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Sprite Based posted:

Hey, cool, a Dratini! Let's check his IVs and see if he's worth investing stardu-- :stare:

I see your perfect and raise you the same! its a pity it could take me months to be able to catch enough to evolve though .................

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
Oh, holdin down the local gym with a high CP Snorlax, huh? Good for you.

Hatched this guy from a 10k egg and he's been my Snorlax killer ever since :3:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fauxtool posted:

go west to fort mason for a very active squirtle habitat, the docks spawn dratinis
go a litter further west to the walt disney museum for a great bulbsaur habitat
crissey field to the north is a snorlax nest, you can catch one every few hours

SF is an amazing place to catch almost every pokemon

Can confirm. I visited on vacation this week. Every day I went for a 5-10 mile run catching squirtles and other pokemon. I'm up to 116 now. Stupid tracker hosed me out of hitmonchan and aerodactyl

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Killer_Bees! posted:

I see your perfect and raise you the same! its a pity it could take me months to be able to catch enough to evolve though .................

Whattup dratini bros!

Wait... :v::respek::saddowns:

Edit: phoneposting imgur timg links never works right for me.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 5, 2016

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Hrist posted:

Gastly. The second I stop and pick up my phone, it disappears. Literally could not have been more than 5 seconds after it spawned, and less than a few feet away from it.

There was a recent change where the pokemon scan refresh went from once every second, to every 5 seconds, and now it's 10 seconds, because Niantic doesn't know when to stop. I think the intention was to hurt players who were bicycling or driving and playing pokemon go, but I can't help but feel like all of this "distance control" hurts runners and joggers the most when you add in egg distance not being recorded too but thats another topic.

I think what may have happened with your Gastly was that it spawned on the outer edge of your visible circle (nearby 40 or 70m) and by the time you stopped, you had moved out of range. Your client would send your location but the server would return the true distance from the mon, and you get an Error.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bill Barber posted:

they are baby pokemon, they should be terrible weaklings

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Killer Queen posted:

I really hope Niantic fixes capture rates soon because I had the first Bulbasaur I've seen run on me after two Great Balls. It was CP 453 too!

Bulbasaurs spawn in a tiny little park my bus commute from work stops at each day because of traffic. They have a really high escape rate. I see one each day and throw every ultra ball and razz berry I have at it. I catch one a week if I'm lucky.

Checking my poképrivilege, I'm lucky to have a regular bulbasaur spawn point at all.

Is there a site somewhere that makes best movesets for pokémon as simple as pokeadvisor does for IVs? I know the OP has links to a couple of Google Docs spreadsheets, but I just want a simple lookup that's up-to-date with the latest moveset nerfs. I opened one that someone linked earlier ITT that seemed pretty good, but I lost the link and can't be assed going through the last 100 pages to find it again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Whattup dratini bros!

Wait... :v::respek::saddowns:

Edit: phoneposting imgur timg links never works right for me.
i fixed it for you, you just needed to add .jpg

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
https://skiplagged.com/pokemon

This tracker seems to be working in the bigger cities

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Astrobastard posted:

https://skiplagged.com/pokemon

This tracker seems to be working in the bigger cities

I can confirm it works in NYC at least. Used it to be disappointed / choosey around grand army plaza

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

A couple of q's:

Does a Pokemon's secondary type give them STAB for that type of move, or is it just for primary? Wondering if my 100% Bug Bite/Solar Beam Parasect gets a stab bonus on his (or her) special seeing as it's a bug/grass-type.

Also is there a list (or something similar) of the top 10-20 Pokemon anywhere that factors in base stats + optimal moves? I was able to see this info on Pokemon-go-database.com but I don't think it's been updated since the balance changes.

^ pre-patch, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
STAB works on both primary and secondary types for sure

• Locked thread