Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yay I just got a new support person under me to work on the frontlines so I now have 3 people I get to marshall to ward off the waves of angry users.

Chatted to my developer friend at lunch who did her technical skills interview.

She got 0% on the exam and he recommended not hiring her, but the GM did anyway.

The first question on the exam was "What's a way to find out the IP of the computer you're using?" The exam was verbal, and we would have accepted any vaguely right answer.

0%

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dick Trauma posted:

The HR assistant who was left behind when the VP got canned is very good at not saying "Yes, Dick Trauma I recognize that the people running this place are stupid fuckhead idiots."

But I almost got her to say it yesterday.

We have a web-based payroll system that also handles vacation/sick requests. It has a built in calendar so bosses can see all the requests at once. We also have a legacy Exchange PTO calendar that she manages where all time off requests are entered. Wait, are you going to say "THAT IS REDUNDANT!"

It gets worse. When she enters a time off request on the PTO calendar she has to also invite the CEO, my boss, etc. so that it can also appear on their own calendars. Because not only do they refuse to use the payroll system's handy calendar, they refuse to look at the PTO calendar the HR assistant maintains. On top of that they complain about the constant stream of PTO calendar email invites they have to accept to add the items to their own calendar.

The assistant wanted me to figure out how to suppress the emails that are sent when she invites people to the PTO calendar items and I said "At some point you have to accept that doing things in an inefficient manner creates inefficiencies" and she almost let her true feelings show. But I heard a crunching noise that I think was her biting her tongue.

It's dumb and so goddamn crazy to have her manually entering all the poo poo that already gets entered by staff into the payroll system and then dish it out to people who are too loving lazy to just look at the goddamn PTO calendar.

if it's a google calendar then it should ask the assistant whether she wants to send invites, and she can just press don't send. and if the exec is also using a google calendar, then the event should automatically show up on their calendar anyway, unless they disable that (which nobody does)

if it's exchange you're hosed sorry

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Actually I'm kind of surprised nobody is making a commercial version of the solution imgix came up with.

from way back, but MK1 built it for them, you can buy it if you want

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if it's a google calendar then it should ask the assistant whether she wants to send invites, and she can just press don't send. and if the exec is also using a google calendar, then the event should automatically show up on their calendar anyway, unless they disable that (which nobody does)

if it's exchange you're hosed sorry

He said it's exchange. They could solve it by giving her folder permissions to the calender so she can just add the stuff to the calenders one by one :v:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

iajanus posted:

Yay I just got a new support person under me to work on the frontlines so I now have 3 people I get to marshall to ward off the waves of angry users.

Chatted to my developer friend at lunch who did her technical skills interview.

She got 0% on the exam and he recommended not hiring her, but the GM did anyway.

The first question on the exam was "What's a way to find out the IP of the computer you're using?" The exam was verbal, and we would have accepted any vaguely right answer.

0%

:suicide:

:wtf:

That's going to be real fun. We had a few people like that, but they were hired solely to do password resets. (AD only, we had about 20 other systems more competent people did the resets for)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

iajanus posted:

0%

How? How could you talk for 2 minutes and not accidentally stumble on a partially correct answer?

I mean, specifically for somebody applying for a job in IT. I totally understand why my mom would ask "what's an IP address" when I'm talking to her about computers.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How? How could you talk for 2 minutes and not accidentally stumble on a partially correct answer?

I mean, specifically for somebody applying for a job in IT. I totally understand why my mom would ask "what's an IP address" when I'm talking to her about computers.

Surely at some point you could have said 'Google' and have it accepted as a 'vaguely right answer'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

nexus6 posted:

Surely at some point you could have said 'Google' and have it accepted as a 'vaguely right answer'.

This doesn't work if you're higher up on your parents problem solving chain than Google. My dad called me earlier this week asking where the contact list was in windows 10, I didn't know, so I googled it. Problem solved. But thanks Windows for not actually putting something in your Mail app to even point you in the right direction.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

A ticket came in: our infrastructure is colla&*^*( NO CARRIER

(drat I'm old)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Uh oh guys

senior admin is talking about changing our backup strategy on the virtual servers

he's suggesting we move to snapshots for server backups to free up resources and time for our data backup platform

where is that resume of mine anyway?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SEKCobra posted:

He said it's exchange. They could solve it by giving her folder permissions to the calender so she can just add the stuff to the calenders one by one :v:

That would barely be worse than what she's doing now, and no worse than other idiotic procedures I've seen here. I think I mentioned that the CEO proved unwilling to search the GAL via his iPhone and so insisted that he get a personal address book of all staff in his Outlook. I pointed out that it would be separate from the GAL and need to be maintained separately and he didn't care because hey, that's someone else's problem.

And since my boss has access to his email she saw the discussion and then insisted that she too get a personal address book for all the staff. Then they both got mad at me because the entries didn't have home telephone numbers, when the list supplied to me didn't have any. One of the assistants took the opportunity to chime in (they get copied in on all emails to me) to insist that I had all the numbers which got both the CEO and my boss to jump on me for being "negligent" about not including them.

At this point it was just too many people to fight, and I realized that they would all forget about it anyway as soon as something else caught their eye. Days later the CEO was so fed up with his iPhone freezing up (a problem which he kept reporting to me while simultaneously refusing to give me the phone to work on it) he switched to an Android phone which automatically searches the GAL.

Did he want me to remove the now 100% redundant personal staff address book? NOPE! He demanded that it be kept up to date in case he happens to use it by accident.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dick Trauma posted:

That would barely be worse than what she's doing now, and no worse than other idiotic procedures I've seen here. I think I mentioned that the CEO proved unwilling to search the GAL via his iPhone and so insisted that he get a personal address book of all staff in his Outlook. I pointed out that it would be separate from the GAL and need to be maintained separately and he didn't care because hey, that's someone else's problem.

And since my boss has access to his email she saw the discussion and then insisted that she too get a personal address book for all the staff. Then they both got mad at me because the entries didn't have home telephone numbers, when the list supplied to me didn't have any. One of the assistants took the opportunity to chime in (they get copied in on all emails to me) to insist that I had all the numbers which got both the CEO and my boss to jump on me for being "negligent" about not including them.

At this point it was just too many people to fight, and I realized that they would all forget about it anyway as soon as something else caught their eye. Days later the CEO was so fed up with his iPhone freezing up (a problem which he kept reporting to me while simultaneously refusing to give me the phone to work on it) he switched to an Android phone which automatically searches the GAL.

Did he want me to remove the now 100% redundant personal staff address book? NOPE! He demanded that it be kept up to date in case he happens to use it by accident.

:yotj: Time yet?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SEKCobra posted:

:yotj: Time yet?

I can't find somewhere else to go. I've been looking for a long time now. At least I'm well paid while I suffer.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Uh oh guys

senior admin is talking about changing our backup strategy on the virtual servers

he's suggesting we move to snapshots for server backups to free up resources and time for our data backup platform

where is that resume of mine anyway?

Surely he means 2n+1 geographically redundant storage with snapshot capability... riiiight?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

deimos posted:

Surely he means 2n+1 geographically redundant storage with snapshot capability... riiiight?

VMware snapshots nightly and leave them around for 6 months.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

deimos posted:

hahahahaha

Issue: data backup platform currently takes all night for our (surprisingly well managed) backups. We need to add a bunch of new virtual servers.

Solution: We can do snapshots of some servers on the virtual platform, eliminating the need to use resources on our backup platform! Those snapshots are BETTER, in fact, because they can back up the entire server and not just the critical data volumes!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

hahahahaha

Issue: data backup platform currently takes all night for our (surprisingly well managed) backups. We need to add a bunch of new virtual servers.

Solution: We can do snapshots of some servers on the virtual platform, eliminating the need to use resources on our backup platform! Those snapshots are BETTER, in fact, because they can back up the entire server and not just the critical data volumes!

What the hell is going on over there?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Moey posted:

What the hell is going on over there?

Great things. Post back in here if you haven't changed jobs by the time someone fucks up with snapshots due to letting them all grow until they fill the volume.

Bonus points if it's all thin provisioned without proper alerting thresholds.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I remember reading that snapshots will cause long cold start times. Might have been deling the snapshot to make room. But its a terrible idea to use as backup.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

nexus6 posted:

I honestly would have accepted Google as an answer (although I would get them to explain what they'd search, and try to get them to explain what an IP address is to some degree).

I already have one useless person I'm only barely able to trust with basic tasks, it'll be awesome with a second. Especially with the CEO pushing the devs to shove out new features and software to our clients irrespective of how complete they are or how error-riddled they are. Support load is already over three times normal capacity. In our quarterly review meeting one of the sales guys literally asked me why we don't just close more tickets and all I could do was laugh in his face. For reference, our normal load is 30 odd open at any time, at the moment we have over 110.

FML

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

iajanus posted:

I honestly would have accepted Google as an answer (although I would get them to explain what they'd search, and try to get them to explain what an IP address is to some degree).

I already have one useless person I'm only barely able to trust with basic tasks, it'll be awesome with a second. Especially with the CEO pushing the devs to shove out new features and software to our clients irrespective of how complete they are or how error-riddled they are. Support load is already over three times normal capacity. In our quarterly review meeting one of the sales guys literally asked me why we don't just close more tickets and all I could do was laugh in his face. For reference, our normal load is 30 odd open at any time, at the moment we have over 110.

FML
"Thanks, I'd be more than happy to close all the tickets you've opened. That helps me out a lot!"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A ticket came in: install software taking 2-3 hours for each installation on seven computers.

A ticket got closed: 5 hours and 15 minutes later, they are all done.

Automation is the best. That was even with some problems that made me take an extra half hour / 45 minutes on a couple machines, which isn't going to happen again because I identified and fixed the problems. I've started the script for 8 more, which I fully expect to be able to do on Monday, along with one other computer.

I got 17.5 hours of work done today, without even working hard.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

iajanus posted:

So I'm guessing she's hot then.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Bonus points if it's all thin provisioned without proper alerting thresholds.

Thin provisioning doesn't even matter at this point. Without alerting we will have a story.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

iajanus posted:

FML

Ouch - my (bad) colleague on my team was hired on like that - another (good) colleague started the same day as him. The difference between the two (both of which whom came in with zero technical skill) is night and day. The good one has basically googled the poo poo out of everything and put in hard work to go from zero to A+ certified, decent with SQL and deployment tools plus wants to specialize on IS/NetSec. The bad one only learned about ctrl + a and the filter function in excel yesterday. He still to this day does *TRIGGER WARNING* ctrl + alt + delete to get to task manager and have zero understanding of commands he runs for linux. Zero retention even after explanations. Zero google fu even when explaining things. */TRIGGER/*

At least my new awesome manager is well aware of bad coworker's shortcomings and there is hope for the future. He pretty much said that bad coworker had somehow sold the company on some bullshit and got hired on that basis. So he might be making upwards of 75-100 grand being less skilled than t1 helpdesk.

Edit: Question for thread, when you have a poo poo coworker as mentioned above and have already raised it to the manager (who will eventually do something about it as they seem to be aware), how do you handle lovely coworker if they're on your same team until they're gone? Just not help them with the same question they're going to ask for a week?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 6, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

new printer setup

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Edit: Question for thread, when you have a poo poo coworker as mentioned above and have already raised it to the manager (who will eventually do something about it as they seem to be aware), how do you handle lovely coworker if they're on your same team until they're gone? Just not help them with the same question they're going to ask for a week?

Have them start documenting the questions in a knowledge base, and then when they ask you the same question again, make them refer to the knowledge base.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think a fairly common response in the IT world is to just be a massive dick to them all the time. Force them to quit so you don't have to deal with them or the slow firing process.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

I kind of dealt with this, a field rep was barking up my tree and pulled in his boss because HE NEEDS EMAIL TO FILL OUT ADDRESSES I CANT DO MY JOB WITHOUT IT. So one day he turns up to the office same time his boss was in and comes over to me looking all looming and imposing, speaking loudly; "Look it doesn't work this phone is crap!"

Write E-mail, click recipient, type name, click search, name pops up, "Looks fine to me" to which boss walks off and douchebag complains about other stuff.

Dick Trauma posted:

Days later the CEO was so fed up with his iPhone freezing up (a problem which he kept reporting to me while simultaneously refusing to give me the phone to work on it) he switched to an Android phone which automatically searches the GAL.
There a manager who keeps complaining her laptop is slow, true it is horrible and needs to be dealt with. Every single time she pipes up to complain about it I remind her I have a 500gb SSD waiting for it, and every time she says no no I'm too busy do it another time. :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Knormal posted:

So I'm guessing she's hot then.

She'd better be :arghfist:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

new printer setup

Too bad it's not the 80s and a tractor feed printer.

I need to try this again but with some sort of tripod to make a perfect loop.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We're migrating our ticket management to salesforce in two weeks, and we support peons finally got access to the sandbox yesterday. We were assured nothing in the sandbox is live and we can play with it as we want to.

So I start creating cases and choosing random contacts and adding notes, etc. An hour later, the operations manager forwards me an automatic reply from one of those contacts with the note "looks like they turned on email notifications in the sandbox, make sure you are changing the email address to @example.com or something!"

At least I was making somewhat realistic professional looking tickets and not like "Joe says he has too much poop in his butt!"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

He still to this day does *TRIGGER WARNING* ctrl + alt + delete to get to task manager */TRIGGER/*

Wait wait wait there's a better way?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Wait wait wait there's a better way?

Ctrl+Shift+Esc

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NFX posted:

Ctrl+Shift+Esc

Right click the task bar press open task manager. Done, no lovely full screen log off bullcrap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who use Ctrl+Alt+Del to lock their PCs are the worst

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

People who use Ctrl+Alt+Del to lock their PCs are the worst

:psyduck: that doesn't even work

Do people believe that if they're not required to put a password in, other people are still locked out because you can't see the desktop?

E; nevermind it clicked, lock the pc option from the ctrl alt del screen. So dumb I couldn't parse that at first.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
RE: A ticket came in: Your favorite shortcuts

WinKey + Pause / Break to pull up the System menu :getin:

On other news, I am awful at SQL queries / using Microsoft Access and had to resort to Vlookup in Excel to get what I actually wanted done. :saddowns: One day I'll sit down and learn some SQL.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:psyduck: that doesn't even work

Do people believe that if they're not required to put a password in, other people are still locked out because you can't see the desktop?

E; nevermind it clicked, lock the pc option from the ctrl alt del screen. So dumb I couldn't parse that at first.

Ctrl-alt-del and then select "Lock" with the mouse. At least that's how it used to be. I haven't had to use Windows as my main computer for a few years, so I don't know if that's changed or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

flosofl posted:

Ctrl-alt-del and then select "Lock" with the mouse. At least that's how it used to be. I haven't had to use Windows as my main computer for a few years, so I don't know if that's changed or not.

I think he was more poking fun at people who don't use Windows+L to save a few keystrokes

• Locked thread