Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

oddium posted:

when koala showed up again half the thread went aw yeah koala cool dang neat and the other half didn't have any idea who she was
Well I mean anyone who would forget Koala is just a jerk rear end but Lola was oh my God how many years ago was Thriller Bark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

The pirate captain that Nami befriended on Thriller Bark. Her shadow was put into a warthog and ruined Absalom's plan to marry Nami, then Nami met the real Lola on a ship lost in the Florian Triangle. Lola also helped Luffy become Nightmare Luffy to fight Oars. At the end off the arc Lola gave Nami a vivre card and mentioned that her mom was a big deal.

Interestingly, at first everyone assumed that Lola's mom was Weevil's mom, as they looked very similar. I wonder now if that mom isn't Big Mom's mom (Bigger Mom) or sister (Big Aunt).

Well everyone assumed it was Big Mom but that would be too easy of a reveal (Like Tobi being Obito)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kild posted:

Well everyone assumed it was Big Mom but that would be too easy of a reveal (Like Tobi being Obito)

Right, Weevil and his mom weren't introduced for years. But they do have similar designs (particularly the hair) to Lola and other members of Big Mom's Big Family. But Weevil's mom looked older than Big Mom so I think there might be some other connection there.

I'd go grab the pages for comparison but I'm on my phone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remembered lola

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Rangpur posted:

Well I mean anyone who would forget Koala is just a jerk rear end but Lola was oh my God how many years ago was Thriller Bark?

It helps for me that Thriller Bark is my favorite arc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God I can't wait for Weevil to show up again, what a weird fuckin character

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

MrAristocrates posted:

God I can't wait for Weevil to show up again, what a weird fuckin character

See I have no idea why people are so hyped up about Weevil. He is featured in like 1 chapter what seems like years ago and no one has any idea what his deal is. Only that he is strong enough to apparently mop the floor with some of WB's crews.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MrAristocrates posted:

what a weird fuckin character

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

See I have no idea why people are so hyped up about Weevil. He is featured in like 1 chapter what seems like years ago and no one has any idea what his deal is. Only that he is strong enough to apparently mop the floor with some of WB's crews.

It's because he's loving weird and there are a lot of places the story could take him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheWyrmDude posted:

It helps for me that Thriller Bark is my favorite arc.

it has the best joke in OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25e7UKSnMs

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

That, Usopp's, "I'm always negative!" and Perona's response, Big Emperor, Do Skeletons Poop? and :zoro: make it a tough arc to beat for me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Thriller Bark is fantastic but suffers in people's memories because it follows on the heels of Water 7/Enies Lobby and is followed by the rollercoaster of Saobondy-Kuja-Impel Down-Marineford. Either one of those is most people's favorite arc (I'm a Water 7 man myself).

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Weevil is probably one of the strongest people in the series and I'm incredibly hype for whatever he ends up doing. He was introduced so late that Oda almost has to have massive plans for him.

Kizaru, one of the Admirals, the strongest force of military might the Marines have, bold-facedly said they can't stop Weevil from doing whatever he wants so they had better just let him keep killing entire towns. Think about that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

TheWyrmDude posted:

That, Usopp's, "I'm always negative!" and Perona's response, Big Emperor, Do Skeletons Poop? and :zoro: make it a tough arc to beat for me.
My problem with thriller bark (having watched anime only of it, I hear manga is much better wrt an actual spooky horror feel) is that it's basically a disjoint bunch of very amazing moments padded with dull filler in between. Most other arcs are much better with some sort of red thread.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 5, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Advice posted:

Weevil is probably one of the strongest people in the series and I'm incredibly hype for whatever he ends up doing. He was introduced so late that Oda almost has to have massive plans for him.

Kizaru, one of the Admirals, the strongest force of military might the Marines have, bold-facedly said they can't stop Weevil from doing whatever he wants so they had better just let him keep killing entire towns. Think about that.

I don't think that's quite what Kizaru said.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Bisse posted:

My problem with thriller bark (having watched anime only of it, I hear manga is much better wrt an actual spooky horror feel) is that it's basically a disjoint bunch of very amazing moments padded with dull filler in between. Most other arcs are much better with some sort of red thread.

It's a bit slow to get going in the manga, but once it hits its stride it's pretty consistently great through to the end. It doesn't feel spooky, honestly, it's just as goofy as the rest of the arcs, but the artwork still has that Halloween theme to it. A lot of that is simply because Luffy is so unaffected by the spookiness (hence the gag of pushing the zombie back into the grave), so the only really spookiness is when Usopp, Nami, and Chopper are freaking out when they first arrive.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bisse posted:

Thriller Bark anime is when the non-flashback filler padding (which is way worse because it's not as skipable) starts getting very obvious and it only gets worse from there. I might have watched one or two episodes of Impel Down after that but I gave up watching at Thriller Bark for a reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bisse posted:

read the manga ffs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Weevil wobbles, but he doesn't fall down!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Anime Thriller Bark is better than the manga for once

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bisse posted:

This is basically true of the manga too. It's a bunch of boring running around where very little happens until SOMETHING HAPPENS and usually the Something Happens moments are pretty good, but then they're running around and getting lost some more before anything else happens.

Thriller Bark has some of the best moments in the series, but its also possibly the arc where the least things happen at all. (Not counting the early East Blue arcs, which were all like 10 chapters long at most) Or at least, it WAS the least-happening arc. I think Fishman Island had even less going on, that arc was not good at all outside of its incredibly good Fisher Tiger flashback.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think the adventure portions of the manga are pretty much for the purpose of the setting of each island, setting the tone, and instilling some wonder. they're disjointed but i feel they're pretty purposeful to the mangas charm as a whole and one of the key elements that separates one piece from its lesser kin.

most of the arcs are super memorable oftentimes because of the settings themselves and i think thats important to a good creative work. oda could probably do a better job of tying stuff in. usually he just uses it to put the characters into the right place for the arc to finally take shape.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Come to think of it, isn't it kind of inconsistent that people call her "Pudding"? Purin is her name, so going by precedent (Bartholomew Kuma, Miss Bakkin), it doesn't make sense to use Pudding instead of Purin.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Come to think of it, isn't it kind of inconsistent that people call her "Pudding"? Purin is her name, so going by precedent (Bartholomew Kuma, Miss Bakkin), it doesn't make sense to use Pudding instead of Purin.

Purin is Pudding in Japanese, It's a loan word that got garbled a bit. I think it kinda makes sense to keep it Pudding.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 6, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's saying that there's precedent to keep Japanese words in Japanese when they're part of names. I prefer calling her Pudding though so I'll keep doing that

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

MrAristocrates posted:

He's saying that there's precedent to keep Japanese words in Japanese when they're part of names. I prefer calling her Pudding though so I'll keep doing that

Yeah, Purin is just one of those weird loan words. I remember getting some old port of Final Fantasy 4, and they had translated "Pink Pudding" as "Pink Princess" because they thought Purin was an abbreviated form of Princess I guess, but given everyone seems to have food/dessert names, it makes sense to me to tweak it a bit and make the meaning clear.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

One Piece names tend to have a theme, but how they're applied is based more on what sounds good than consistency. Remember Baroque Works? The women had code names based on dates, but while Vivi was just called Miss Wednesday (a singular day), there was Miss Merrychristmas (25th Dec) and Miss Doublefinger (1st Jan). Changing languages for Pudding despite precedent wouldn't be surprising in the least.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Begemot posted:

The pirate captain that Nami befriended on Thriller Bark. Her shadow was put into a warthog and ruined Absalom's plan to marry Nami, then Nami met the real Lola on a ship lost in the Florian Triangle. Lola also helped Luffy become Nightmare Luffy to fight Oars. At the end off the arc Lola gave Nami a vivre card and mentioned that her mom was a big deal.

Interestingly, at first everyone assumed that Lola's mom was Weevil's mom, as they looked very similar. I wonder now if that mom isn't Big Mom's mom (Bigger Mom) or sister (Big Aunt).

So is there a connection between Big Mom and Whitebeard? I've always wondered this with respect to Jewelry Bonney. She is clearly somehow tied to Big Mom, but also has some sort of connection to Whitebeard as shown after the war.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

gnome7 posted:

This is basically true of the manga too. It's a bunch of boring running around where very little happens until SOMETHING HAPPENS and usually the Something Happens moments are pretty good, but then they're running around and getting lost some more before anything else happens.

Thriller Bark has some of the best moments in the series, but its also possibly the arc where the least things happen at all. (Not counting the early East Blue arcs, which were all like 10 chapters long at most) Or at least, it WAS the least-happening arc. I think Fishman Island had even less going on, that arc was not good at all outside of its incredibly good Fisher Tiger flashback.

You forget Vander Decken throwing an increasingly improbable assortment of things at people.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

kohon posted:

So is there a connection between Big Mom and Whitebeard? I've always wondered this with respect to Jewelry Bonney. She is clearly somehow tied to Big Mom, but also has some sort of connection to Whitebeard as shown after the war.

There's probably a pretty good chance there is. Maybe something like Big Mom wanting to marry Whitebeard in order to combine their families and have a huge person for a husband? Perhaps Miss Bakkin is Big Mom's sister and had a fling with Whitebeard resulting in Edward Weevil? There's a lot of possibilities out there, I'm sure Oda will fit them all together like puzzle pieces eventually.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Crazyeyes posted:

His appearance was so brief that if people here didn't keep mentioning him, I wouldn't know who he was.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

he appeared like 20 chapters ago during zou... how can you forget already

Chapter 802, we're on 835.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kild posted:

he appeared like 20 chapters ago during zou... how can you forget already

Chapter 802, we're on 835.

lol thats like over 6 months ago

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
6 months ago, ancient One Piece.

*remembers obscure reference from 18 years ago that suddenly becomes relevant*

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

QuantaStarFire posted:

Hey guys, I've been running chapter 1 through the analyzer again and I think I have some diagrams that can finally put to rest whether Lucky Roux is, in fact, the fastest character in One Piece.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

QuantaStarFire posted:

look man i want gin to come back too...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Advice posted:

Hey guys, I've been running chapter 1 through the analyzer again and I think I have some diagrams that can finally put to rest whether Lucky Roux is, in fact, the fastest character in One Piece.

he is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Advice posted:

he's

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

anime was right posted:

lol thats like over 6 months ago

I bet you forgot who Raizou was too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am resisting the urge to re-read any of One Piece beyond the omnibuses, despite not being able to remember anything at all between where I currently am (two-thirds through Thriller Bark) and the end of Punk Hazard.

It's nice; it's like rediscovering everything all over again.