Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Tippis posted:

Thank you. That was my conclusion as well, and it seems fairly common. There seems to be fairly little love for SYS focus (extra energy doesn't really help the shields — you're not going to regen tank like in EVE anyway) or for just making the thing sturdier. I suppose anyone who targets subsystems goes for the power plant anyway.

If you ever stop deliberately trying to fly the FDL badly you're going to want the WEP recharge mod. Alocating power to the WEP capacitor usually means you actually need it to recharge faster as opposed to SYS and ENG where you're usually going for the agility/shield strength bonus from having power allocated to those systems. Also unless you get particularly bad rolls ENG will still recharge fast enough with 4 pips to allow you to boost almost continuously if you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

radintorov posted:

Unless it was changed recently (ie after the end of the DGs) SYS does nothing to affect gimbal aim.
It wasn't. It's one of those persistent rumors that was never true but people keep repeating anyway. The only thing SYS affects, and the only thing it has ever affected, is shields.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something for explorers:

Has someone of us here tried exploring the Formadine Rift?

Apparently Frontier has hidden something there for us to find.

Here's a map made by players if you want to go and take a look for yourself.

Explorers are hunting right now for more clues through/near the Heart and Soul-nebula, if I get this right. The thread has, after some deciphering, decided these three systems may have something in it:

EAFOTS OT-S B-46-0
EAFOTS OT-S B-46-1
EAFOTS OT-S B-33-0

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Empire Rep grinding is a lot better now that I've kinda settled one one "home base". The factions in Cubeo love me now, so I easily pull in like multiple millions of credits from each mission batch I take there.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Helter Skelter posted:

It wasn't. It's one of those persistent rumors that was never true but people keep repeating anyway. The only thing SYS affects, and the only thing it has ever affected, is shields.

Note without sys in cap you can't use chaff or heat sinks

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tippis posted:

I first made a joke that I'm too lazy to do it. Subsequent posts — including the one you quoted — explained the matter in more detail: from my experience, and as suggested by others, you need them all. Hence why my instinct was to go with an enhancement that seems to benefit all systems — fast recharge — as opposed to focusing on one of them to the detriment of the others.

You need them all, yes, but a good pilot is able to make sure they don't need them all at the same time. It depends on how you fly, how you fight, how you prioritize, what ship you're flying, and what loadout you're using.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Playing pip manager 2016 makes me want to ditch my pulse lasers for multicannons so they drain weps so fast.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A huge part of my love for gunpowder weapons is them needing much less power than energy weapons. As much as I want to like plasma accelerators, they can't compete with frags/cannons for that alone.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
As far as pip management and how it can be perceived as a pain in the arse goes, there is a method that you can use to just simply stay 4/0/2 pretty much at all times. Grab an Anaconda, engineer mod the shite out of it, and emphasize ballistic weaponry for low power draw, and increase shield resistances. Then when fighting NPC's, leave your pips in 4/0/2, because you no longer give a poo poo, your shields are nigh invulnerable, and you'll EVENTUALLY kill what your fighting as long as you aren't fighting more than 3-4 npc's simply because you don't need to fly well. All you need to do is facetank the npc and shoot in FA-OFF.

Keep in mind this is super bad advice, and while it can work, you can get far greater results actively managing your pip allocation.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It sounds like the consensus is No Man's Sky is pretty drat bad. Maybe FD will gift us with some plant life on planets and we can all be happy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blind Rasputin posted:

It sounds like the consensus is No Man's Sky is pretty drat bad. Maybe FD will gift us with some plant life on planets and we can all be happy.

Isn't the only person who's played it the dude who got that leak copy last week? He made an absolute bee-line for the center of the galaxy and it took him like 30 hours?

Some of those bugs sounded kinda rough, like the thing with the fish, but that's the sort of thing Day One patches are for.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn the engineers stuff is confusing as gently caress. Like I guess you have to unlock an engy then take missions from them to find poo poo to turn in?

Also what's boom time?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Thronde posted:

Goddamn the engineers stuff is confusing as gently caress. Like I guess you have to unlock an engy then take missions from them to find poo poo to turn in?

Also what's boom time?

You unlock an engie, then you just bring them mats that you get from salvage and missions. I don't think engineers themselves give out missions (correct me if I'm wrong).

Boom time means that the faction is in a Boom state in the simulation, and therefore is having increased economic activity compared to normal. As far as I know it just means increased mission quality.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

deadly_pudding posted:

You unlock an engie, then you just bring them mats that you get from salvage and missions. I don't think engineers themselves give out missions (correct me if I'm wrong).

Correct.

There are three stages to the engineers:
1. Finding out that they exist. This happens through various activity triggers for the first-tier engineers by trading or smuggling a lot, going far, or collecting bounties or combat bonds. Higher tiers will be revealed by lower-tiered engineers.

2. Unlocking them. Once you know they exist, they will show up in your engineers tab with some more or less ridiculous request, all of which come down to bring X amount of Y, where Y can get very annoying to get hold of at times (like to 50 rare resources or the oft-mentioned 25 terminals that you only really get from missions).

3. Levelling them up. This is done most easily by simply requesting upgrades from them — note: requesting, not necessarily getting or installing. As long as you get to the stage where you have expended resources, that counts as a use. No need to apply them or to wipe out previous mods or to use it on anything fancy — expenditure of resources is what levels them up.

Some engineers offer different services at their stations aside form the upgrade shop and the outfitting station (only really there so you can see how your ship ended up, since none of them seem to actually sell any modules). You can generally also level the engineers up by using these services, e.g. by selling exploration data to Universal Cartographics at Farseer Inc. or trading with Black Hide. However this is not entirely universal — notably, trading in bounty vouchers only seem to count for bounties that are tied to that particular engineer.

As for the upgrades, the most immediate path to the next level is to just do 3 of the current level (so 3 grade 1 upgrades gives you level 2). You can do lower-level upgrades too, but they seem to count for 3–4 times less than the current level (so you'd need 12:ish(?) grade 1 upgrades to get from level 2 to 3). If all you're trying to do is to max out the engineer, then it's still often cheaper (or at least less effort) to go for lower levels. Similarly, don't stare yourself blind on the mod you're eventually aiming for. If you're going for grade-5 overcharged MCs from The Blaster, there is no reason to just do MC mods to unlock that level — it may very well turn out that the materials needed for grade 1–3 fragment cannons are already in your hold, so spam those to unlock that end goal.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tippis posted:

Some engineers offer different services at their stations aside form the upgrade shop and the outfitting station (only really there so you can see how your ship ended up, since none of them seem to actually sell any modules). You can generally also level the engineers up by using these services, e.g. by selling exploration data to Universal Cartographics at Farseer Inc. or trading with Black Hide. However this is not entirely universal — notably, trading in bounty vouchers only seem to count for bounties that are tied to that particular engineer.

The outfitting at the engineers usually sell the same kind of modules the the engineer upgrades. The ones that upgrade your engines also sell special size 2 and 3 Racing Engines, and Palin sells size 1 corrosion resistant cargo racks.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Rectus posted:

The outfitting at the engineers usually sell the same kind of modules the the engineer upgrades. The ones that upgrade your engines also sell special size 2 and 3 Racing Engines, and Palin sells size 1 corrosion resistant cargo racks.

How well do those work? I mean, does this give you an erode-proof ship for hauling a few tons of UAs, or does it just slow them down?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
After 7500+ LY!
A little over the halfway mark to Jaques, I had a fuel scooping (only mostly)disaster leaving me with

-almost 80% of my hull seared off
-an FSD that malfunctioned 1/3 of the time
-cracked to hell canopy

I was determined to get this Dback explorer out there, and by god I have! I had the drag the fucker, limping, but:

:toot::kimchi::pgabz::kimchi::toot:

stupid imgur!

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 6, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What am I missing with combat? I used to be able to stay behind stuff most of the time in a clipper but now it all zooms aways and turns around before I can get my new FDL on the other side of it. Even Anacondas can pull this off fairly regularly. Should I just get in a FAS? I thought the FDL could turn on a dime but it seems to have loads of momentum

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Luccion posted:

As far as pip management and how it can be perceived as a pain in the arse goes, there is a method that you can use to just simply stay 4/0/2 pretty much at all times. Grab an Anaconda, engineer mod the shite out of it, and emphasize ballistic weaponry for low power draw, and increase shield resistances. Then when fighting NPC's, leave your pips in 4/0/2, because you no longer give a poo poo, your shields are nigh invulnerable, and you'll EVENTUALLY kill what your fighting as long as you aren't fighting more than 3-4 npc's simply because you don't need to fly well. All you need to do is facetank the npc and shoot in FA-OFF.

Keep in mind this is super bad advice, and while it can work, you can get far greater results actively managing your pip allocation.

Pip management is easy. Full pips to engines, rest to shields, hit boost until the FSD recharges, never bother with fighting anything.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What am I missing with combat? I used to be able to stay behind stuff most of the time in a clipper but now it all zooms aways and turns around before I can get my new FDL on the other side of it. Even Anacondas can pull this off fairly regularly. Should I just get in a FAS? I thought the FDL could turn on a dime but it seems to have loads of momentum

Fas really isn't the king it used to be. Since hull tanking is nerfed thanks to missiles becoming insanely good at nuking modules the low shield's of an fas are now a big hindrance. More or less you need to get used to the new AI and try using fa off to turn your ship faster. Thing to remember to is that the clipper and fdl all handle differently. Fas is the same. If you want to learn how to do combat a bit better but no rebuts try the last combat tutorial. You will be forced to learn fa off flying to get anywhere there. Don't expect to beat the whole thing but getting through 4 waves is a good way to get a feel for the new AI and better fighting.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Fas really isn't the king it used to be. Since hull tanking is nerfed thanks to missiles becoming insanely good at nuking modules the low shield's of an fas are now a big hindrance. More or less you need to get used to the new AI and try using fa off to turn your ship faster. Thing to remember to is that the clipper and fdl all handle differently. Fas is the same. If you want to learn how to do combat a bit better but no rebuts try the last combat tutorial. You will be forced to learn fa off flying to get anywhere there. Don't expect to beat the whole thing but getting through 4 waves is a good way to get a feel for the new AI and better fighting.

It's not so much pointing the whole ship in the right direction as getting it to go that way. I guess I just keep overshooting. I dunno I'll try again tommorow

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Luccion posted:

I always found the pip system to be pretty well designed. It is fairly easy and quick to change settings even in the heat of battle, and the audible feedback of the different pip inputs makes me view them as some weird kind of mortal combat combo moves. And remember the resulting combos by sound, without having to watch the pip counter after changing it.

Then again, I'm pretty weird.

In other news..

quote:

Galactic News: Curious Developments in Tionisla

05 AUG 3302

For the first time in over a hundred years, a new ship has been added to the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard. Established in the 3100s, the mausoleum was originally a resting place for the rich and famous, but in the economic slump that befell the Old Worlds during that period, the graveyard fell into disuse.

With the graveyard having fallen into disrepair and many of its relics vandalised or looted, it came as something of a surprise when the Tionisla government received a request to inter a recently deceased Commander.

Despite the unusual circumstances, the government of Tionisla processed the application with surprising swiftness, prompting speculation that the individual may have been some kind of celebrity.

Just before the vessel was moved to its final resting place, an onboard beacon briefly activated, transmitting a repeating sequence of curious characters. This continued for a few minutes until a power failure silenced it. The message read "OTSEAFOTSEAF" The significance of the transmission, if any, is unclear.

"I wouldn't worry about it," said Grace Mayweather of the Tionisla government. "We see this sort of thing all the time. It's just a last bit of mischief from the recently deceased. Tricks, codes – sometimes even traps for the unwary. People go mad trying to work these things out, but they never mean anything."

The identity of the Commander in question is not known, but the ship was identified as an antique Cobra Mk III with the unusual hull registry of 'Cor meum et animam'.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/57a462879657ba967bd8f578

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

How well do those work? I mean, does this give you an erode-proof ship for hauling a few tons of UAs, or does it just slow them down?

Completely erosion proof. I just took an artifact for a 2500 ly ride.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rectus posted:

Completely erosion proof. I just took an artifact for a 2500 ly ride.

Welp. Time to go fragment hunting.

Ugh. :v:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The rank 5 dirty drives are the real prize here.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is this a unique location you can visit?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

El Grillo posted:

Is this a unique location you can visit?

Unless it's been newly added, no, lore only thing. I remember in the RJR days looking for that place at one time during some sort of hunt, but no one found anything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

Unless it's been newly added, no, lore only thing. I remember in the RJR days looking for that place at one time during some sort of hunt, but no one found anything.

On the other hand, everyone is searching for that crazy secret place encoded in that lore post, so there's that.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The graveyard is allegedly coming in 2.2. Given there's lots of wreckage models already, it can't be that difficult to implement.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

jnnnnn posted:

Here are the basics:

1. If you are taking hits, 4 pips to SYS. Otherwise 0. 3 pips does basically nothing.
2. If you are using gimballed weapons, 4 pips to SYS while shooting. It makes them aim better.
3. If you want to shoot but are running low on WEP charge, pips in WEP.
4. If you are chasing/dodging, more pips in ENG as needed (Coriolis will show you speed vs. pips for your loadout)
5. Otherwise, balance everything to charge it all up.

I use an autohotkey script to make each pip assignment instantly max out that category (pressing the key for me four times), which takes a lot of the pain away:
http://pastebin.com/0iYJqnKQ

This is an informative post and you are awesome for posting it.

Because I am lazy and greedy: Does AHK support "if" statements? Like, if a stick axis is at either 0 or 100, FA off, but if a stick axis at any value between zero and 100, FA on. I'd like to do to flight assist what your script does for pip management.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Should I run missions for rep and components/materials in my vulture or asp explorer? I ask because while the vulture only has 16ly range and 16 cargo space, its shields are indestructible and my grade 3 overcharged multi cannons can ruin anything. It's basically safe as it gets. Is it possible to get an Asp up to shields and weapons like this?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

PoorMoralCompass posted:

After 7500+ LY!
A little over the halfway mark to Jaques, I had a fuel scooping (only mostly)disaster leaving me with

-almost 80% of my hull seared off
-an FSD that malfunctioned 1/3 of the time
-cracked to hell canopy

I was determined to get this Dback explorer out there, and by god I have! I had the drag the fucker, limping, but:

:toot::kimchi::pgabz::kimchi::toot:

stupid imgur!

Wow, that's impressive. Did you have an AMFU?

Also, I'm really getting the spacemad bug. I think it's time to head to Sag A*. I'm going to run a an Asp fit by the goon hivemind on discord when I get around to it.

Also, I've been doing the mission grind in my asp, because it makes a good hauler / smuggler. I haven't tried any combat missions in it though.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

DreadLlama posted:

Because I am lazy and greedy: Does AHK support "if" statements? Like, if a stick axis is at either 0 or 100, FA off, but if a stick axis at any value between zero and 100, FA on. I'd like to do to flight assist what your script does for pip management.

There are four if statements in the script I linked. I don't know what your joystick axes are but I guess you would get the script to keydown the FA-off (non-toggle) key if the axes were near their limits (+/- 98-100) and keyup elsewise. Or use a variable to remember state so you don't spam keydowns/keyups.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

Wow, that's impressive. Did you have an AMFU?

Also, I'm really getting the spacemad bug. I think it's time to head to Sag A*. I'm going to run a an Asp fit by the goon hivemind on discord when I get around to it.

Also, I've been doing the mission grind in my asp, because it makes a good hauler / smuggler. I haven't tried any combat missions in it though.

I've signed up to help out good old Jaque two weeks ago for my own spacemadness, but then Frontier's RNG intervened. I'm getting closer to get all materials I need for preparing my Cutter for long-range flight, though. I've collected half the materials and finally unlocked Qwent.

My plan is essentially: FSD 5 for range, overcharged powerplant so I can downsize, clean thrusters so I can offset the loss of heat capability, low-power shields and light-weight weapons to wring out even more range. Very basic, but random number generators really hate me. For example, I collected 32 units of Germanium until I had the 3 units of Precipitated Alloys I wanted for three tries at a grade 3 shield mod. :shepface:

If nothing goes wrong, I'll probably be finally finished next weekend, then I'm planning to travel a couple hours every day until I'm there.

Edit:

gently caress you, Frontier. I hate your bullshit invincible NPCs so much. And your RNG can gently caress itself, too. :mad:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 7, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

I've signed up to help out good old Jaque two weeks ago for my own spacemadness, but then Frontier's RNG intervened. I'm getting closer to get all materials I need for preparing my Cutter for long-range flight, though. I've collected half the materials and finally unlocked Qwent.

My plan is essentially: FSD 5 for range, overcharged powerplant so I can downsize, clean thrusters so I can offset the loss of heat capability, low-power shields and light-weight weapons to wring out even more range. Very basic, but random number generators really hate me. For example, I collected 32 units of Germanium until I had the 3 units of Precipitated Alloys I wanted for three tries at a grade 3 shield mod. :shepface:

If nothing goes wrong, I'll probably be finally finished next weekend, then I'm planning to travel a couple hours every day until I'm there.

Edit:

gently caress you, Frontier. I hate your bullshit invincible NPCs so much. And your RNG can gently caress itself, too. :mad:

I got a lucky roll on a grade 4 FSD that made it better than a 5, so there's that option if you've got extra mats. Nothing says you have to apply it, I usually apply the first mod on a new component, then reroll until everything is better than current. Can eat up a few dozen tries, but I've found it tends to max things out pretty quickly.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I think I'm gonna get around to playing this. Any stick recommendations? Also anyone remember the name of that Vive app that would allow me to watch anime space waifus inside my cockpit?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

SweetBro posted:

I think I'm gonna get around to playing this. Any stick recommendations? Also anyone remember the name of that Vive app that would allow me to watch anime space waifus inside my cockpit?

$40 hotas: thrustmaster hotas X. (I have this its amazing for the price)
$130 hotas: whatever the new thrustmaster that's coming out in september is
$200+ ch, thrustmaster warthog, etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the fastest way to grind empire rank these days? A lot of guides I find seem out of date with 2.1

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Met posted:

What's the fastest way to grind empire rank these days? A lot of guides I find seem out of date with 2.1

Don't know if it's necessarily the fastest, but this one posted a while back is pretty painless (and even semi-lucrative):

Panch posted:

https://m.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sguoa/this_imperial_rank_grind_actually_works/ I used this spot to get up to Baron for the Clipper and it was relatively painless. I started at... Whatever the rank for the courier is and it took me 3 days of only an hour or two playtime each to get to the Clipper. I think the last day was a Sunday though and maybe took a bit longer, regardless. Pretty fast.

It nets not bad money, which is nice. I made 10mil in that period and fairly frequently spent on the horribly inefficient charity missions, so it could have been a lot more.

Even still, if you're a low rank and aiming for cutter I would try to break up the monotony of it with some other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Boogalo posted:

$40 hotas: thrustmaster hotas X. (I have this its amazing for the price)
$130 hotas: whatever the new thrustmaster that's coming out in september is
$200+ ch, thrustmaster warthog, etc.

There is another option.

Buy the T.16000m joystick alone, and if you like the game down the line add the FCS throttle to it. It will be sold separately.

• Locked thread