Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Greyhounds have the most effective 'guilty eyes ' play I have ever seen in a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
We decided to go with "Rico" after all. Tried out a few names the last week but none stuck. We always would screwup and call him Rico anyway so it was meant to be... Right?

He's come so far in just a week. We live on the second floor of an old building and have a pretty massive flight of stairs he now climbs like a champ. Moving each paw up each stair and putting treats every few the first five or so days was tough, but now he's a pro.

Our biggest challenge has been him turning into a statue on walks. We thankfully figured out that a large dose of patience, and treating him when he's walking well does wonders. He's gotten so much better in the last three days since we started.

We're obsessed and now want another 18 greyhounds.

*Cue photo dump from first week

Ps. He already had a nickname, "Mr. Toast". We use it when he's "too tired" from his 15 minutes walk. Such a goof already. ❤️

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, so grey, such hound. You can feed him a little extra, he's a hair under weight if this is any indication:

Also,
Why do they do this, THE FLOOR IS THE HARD PLACE YOU IDIOT. So loving cute :3:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
That is a quality dog

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
So an update on Tatianna (this is LadyGhost's partner), we were on vacation and got a call at 7 a.m. today from the boarding place she's staying at. They found her this morning leaking blood out of her anus, so they're taking her to our vet right now, and we checked out of a hotel faster than I've ever done in my life. We have no idea what's going on yet, and we're about 4 hours away. We're pretty freaked out.

Edit: We've heard from the vet, they believe it's hemmorhagic gastroenteritis. She's never had it before, and they're obviously somewhat worried since she's a 10 year old grey with cancer, but probably not immediately fatal. She's getting fluids while they do a CBC.

Praxis19 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 28, 2016

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Does anyone have tips for leash walking problems that are not pulling? I have two issues:

First: One of my greys is always running into our legs. Like, she just drifts under foot until I run into her and then she moves, repeat for an entire walk. Doesn't seem to matter what side or position. Its more an annoyance than a problem but I would love to figure out how to stop that. You would think the inevitable knee to the rib would self correct her but...nope.

Second: Both dogs get a little ADD and stop walking to stare or decide its time to sniff and cause a violent jerk when they arrest the train. I know greyhounds kind of just do this but I am wondering what I can do.

One thing that doesn't help is that we kind of have a poop/pee whenever structure on walks. When I first adopted them I waited for them to use the restroom before walking but 1 of the dogs would just stand there and look around for an indeterminate amount of time. I mean like we stood there for 30 minutes and she didn't show a hint of pee or poop. So now we just walk and pull over when a dog needs to go but that probably contributes to problem number 2. Ideally we would use the bathroom in the patch of grass right outside and then have a nice walk, maybe finish at the patch for a few minutes in case the walking moves things along. Any tips on making this happen? Is it even possible for us to have that much structure?

Edit: :( ^^^ i'm sorry. thats scary

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Update: Tatianna is staying the night at an evet for iv fluids and observation. The vet has completely eliminated HGE since she had a normal stool with them. They think it was myoglobin in the urine which they did find later on again, although reduced later in the day. It seems like she has some sort of muscle trama, and she's been lying on one side too much? There's not something specific we can point to for why she won't get up or why she can't seem to put weight on her back legs. The evet is doing an exam now.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aw man :( I hope Tats is gonna be ok. Keep us posted.

My cancerdog is finally so old that he is willing to sit on my lap

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Keep us updated on Tatianna!

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Horace-Noah posted:

He's come so far in just a week. We live on the second floor of an old building and have a pretty massive flight of stairs he now climbs like a champ. Moving each paw up each stair and putting treats every few the first five or so days was tough, but now he's a pro.

That's awesome, but a quick word of caution - our older boy never really liked stairs, and after a couple of years, his arthritis, stiffness, and poor eyesight just sort of made it impossible for him to do them at all. He even struggles a bit now with the step and down going in and out of the house. So, even though Rico can do stairs now, he might not be able to later on. If you don't own your home, and you move at some point, it would probably be good to look for a place where he doesn't have to use stairs.

ghostgirl118 posted:

Update: Tatianna is staying the night at an evet for iv fluids and observation. The vet has completely eliminated HGE since she had a normal stool with them. They think it was myoglobin in the urine which they did find later on again, although reduced later in the day. It seems like she has some sort of muscle trama, and she's been lying on one side too much? There's not something specific we can point to for why she won't get up or why she can't seem to put weight on her back legs. The evet is doing an exam now.

Best wishes to Tatianna. I hope this all resolves for her. I'd go nuts if I had to leave one of my guys at the vet overnight. Might have to climb in the kennel and stay with him.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Final update (now with answers!):

Tatianna is home now, relaxing. Regulus is a daycare and staying far away from her for just a bit. He's a bit rambunctious and she's in a delicate state.

Early this morning they were able to find a focal point of the pain, the right hip, and do some xrays. She has a new bone lesion on the top of that femur. They think her injury went something like this: she's been in some pain from the bone lesion for a while, but since she already walks strangely, neither Cason nor I noticed. Sometime during our vacation while she was at boarding, she fell onto that hip, causing more pain and making her not want to stand, or walk to get water. She spent too much time laying down and wasn't drinking enough. On tuesday, she had an accident on herself, with very concentrated urine, and with something (a protein I think? Can't recall what they called it) that was from the deep tissue damage. So it was very very dark and red urine, which they mistook for blood. At the vet, they got her on fluids, immediately noting she was dehydrated, eliminated HGE after she had a normal stool, but could track down what hurt her precisely.

Now we have a few options. Radiation therapy, to deaden the nerves and reduce pain. Pricy but pretty effective. Or give injections of a osteoporosis medication to slow the bone deterioration, with gabapentin and tramadol for pain. Or just the pain meds at home. We are taking time to think about it but we will probably do the injections and pain meds.

Everyone keeps asking us to let them know if they can do something for us. Other than find a quick cure for cancer, or invent doggie hip relapcements on the cheap, I don't know what to say. The injections won't be cheap, and we've blowing through our savings for the amputation and chemo. So that's hard. Luckily my in laws offered to help with the e-vet bill. But I'm thinking about starting a go fund me for her. Does anyone have any experience with go fund me and pet care?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fuzz Feets posted:

Greyhounds have the most effective 'guilty eyes ' play I have ever seen in a dog

Case in point:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
TAKE IT! Take the WHOLE HAMBURGER! Just stop with the eyes!!

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

ghostgirl118 posted:

Everyone keeps asking us to let them know if they can do something for us. Other than find a quick cure for cancer, or invent doggie hip relapcements on the cheap, I don't know what to say. The injections won't be cheap, and we've blowing through our savings for the amputation and chemo. So that's hard. Luckily my in laws offered to help with the e-vet bill. But I'm thinking about starting a go fund me for her. Does anyone have any experience with go fund me and pet care?

I did a GoFundMe when my dog got hit by a car and raised some money. Wasn't a whole lot but better than nothing.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Tatianna is doing so much better! It's been really strange because you can tell that she is irritated at what she's struggling with too. She still has some difficulty laying down on her own and getting up, but even her success rate of those things keeps going up. This morning she was laying down and we put her food bowl in front of her and she got irritated and struggled like she wanted to stand up. So I helped her up and she walked to her raised feeder and looked at us like we were criminals for not feeding her correctly. Before today she hadn't been able to stand long enough or steady enough to eat. So she's getting loads better. And she didn't whine in the night to go out, for the first time in a week. Maybe I'm just optimistic from getting a proper nights sleep but she is killing it.

Although her farts are getting deadlier.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Wren was getting really stressed out about the fireworks on the 4th, so I ended up sitting next to her and petting her everytime she was visibly freaking out, she eventually fell asleep and I went into the other room. About 1:30 AM, after the fireworks finally ended, she comes running out of the bedroom super happy and wanting to play. It was really cute, like the fireworks had just been a bad dream :3:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Anyone have any experience with digestive issues in greyhounds? We're out of one situation and into another.

After Dash's splenectomy a couple weeks ago, his stool was firm and normal for about a day or two. Then, it began softening up into a nondescript, foul-smelling pile. We got him into his first vet visit last week; now that we're done with the e-vet we're back to our normal place. Our vet suggested treating for colitis to start because a fecal test indicated the presence of mucus. He's on metronidazole and sulfasalazine. If things don't clear up by Tuesday we'll try something else.

Since last week he's been on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, 3 cups per day (half chicken half rice). We asked them to increase the amount because Dash was clearly hungry, so they gave us the green light for 4 cups. Despite that, he's still hungry and he's lost weight; his ribs and spine became more pronounced over the last six days and it's bothersome.

I contacted the vet office today to get a follow-up ASAP since his meds are done Tuesday. They've got me for Wednesday afternoon. However, his poop is not normal; it's still somewhat loose and ranges from green and slightly more solid to lighter brown and sort of seedy, which makes me wonder if he's having issues with fat digestion.

Because his poop hasn't cleared up, the vet office doesn't want us to bring his dog food back into his diet Tuesday afternoon and they told us to keep him on the bland diet. I understand it's to minimize the variables here as part of the problem-solving process, but the weight loss is killing me to see. I just feel horrible that he went through the splenectomy and now we're going through this.

ninja edit: I just realized tomorrow marks one month since we adopted him. Jesus, it feels like a lifetime.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

We went through about six months of digestive issues with Reese when we first got him. We thought it was changing foods at first but nothing helped his stools be solid. We tried all the various store brands and even started going through prescription brands, bland diet, you name it but nothing helped. This includes metronidazole and probiotic powder. Finally they put him as a last resort onto a glucose management food, high in fiber lower in calories. Overnight everything changed and I never thought I would be so excited to see turds. He is still on that food a year and a half later. Because it is not calorically dense he eats a whopping 6 cups of it a day,3 in the morning and three at night because he loses weight otherwise. I hope they find out soon what is going on with Dash! Is your vet familiar with greyhounds? I am no expert but it sounds off to me that they are willing to let a post operative hound lose so much weight knowing what we know about greyhound metabolism, and other anatomical differences from other dogs. Would it be possible to get a second opinion or to ask if you could increase the protein he's getting or at least some canned pumpkin or something? You are good hound parents sticking with him and taking such good care of him.

Have a goofy pic of Reese to cheer you on.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I'm going to ask about another protein increase when we get him in tomorrow; technically we already did it once by going from 3 cups of bland diet to 4. I may get a second opinion if I feel uncomfortable but we've had this vet for 8 years and I'm willing to give this a little more time since he's going through the steps of solving the problem, especially since it hasn't even been a full week of treatment for potential colitis. Plus we're still financially recovering from the e-vet surgery so I think a little stability in this situation is necessary- but only to a certain extent, of course.

We'll see how I feel when I put my dog on the scale tomorrow. That might take me from rational to :stonk: in about two seconds though. It will be my leverage to feed our dog ALL THE CHICKEN

Oh, we have tried canned pumpkin once when he was post op. He took it once, and then actively avoided it since. Weird rear end.

e: wanted to add that "a little more time" with our vet is dependent on what we hear from him tomorrow and the course of treatment he prescribes, plus his reaction to the weight loss. Would've explained that in more detail earlier but Dash was growl-talking to me when I was writing this, which means breakfast+morning pee. I won't obstinately stick with one vet, even a long term one, if the net outcome means we're spinning our wheels.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 12, 2016

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Silly dog! Our hound will eat pretty much anything but celery. This he just takes from us, runs downstairs and chews a few times before spitting out and running back upstairs to see what else we might have for him. He particularly likes bread and zucchini.

Other hound havers, what interesting foods does your hound like to eat?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
ugghhh got him in to an early vet appointment today because I was worried about the weight loss- 4 pounds in a week (!) and the seedy poop led to the vet thinking there may be malabsorption issues, which led to blood testing to be sure.

Of course the blood's perfectly fine which means now we have to wait for lab work to come back on a malabsorption panel in the next few days so I can see if our dog has EPI and needs digestive enzyme supplements for the rest of his life. Now I'm a little more suspicious of his previous accommodations. Whatever, though, at least we're taking care of him now.

I also got permission to up his carb intake to around 4 cups of rice over six feedings, with 2 cans of i/d spread out over the feedings where he isn't getting his 2 cups of chicken per day. Yeesh. I just want our boy to get better.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 12, 2016

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

good luck with your dog! I just got approved to adopt a 3.5 year old boy and his foster family is going to be bringing him by on Saturday and I'm getting all excited. He's still at race weight and his foster family has been giving peanut butter sandwiches every night to help him gain weight.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Rico is an elegant beast, I'm told often.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Elvis just moved in me with me and he's pretty much figured out how things work. His foster family taught him stairs so he wasn't even phased by the few steps into my apt. His orange collar is coming out pink on my monitor - I either need to adjust my colors or get him something a bit manlier.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I'm back in Norway getting stuff ready to bring Meesha and the wife back to Europe and its the longest me and Meesha have ever been apart. It sucks. Got an amazing picture of him today that I felt you guys might appreciate. Appearantly he's found a turkey feather and will not go on walks without it. Adorable as hell!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Nuclear War posted:

I'm back in Norway getting stuff ready to bring Meesha and the wife back to Europe and its the longest me and Meesha have ever been apart. It sucks. Got an amazing picture of him today that I felt you guys might appreciate. Appearantly he's found a turkey feather and will not go on walks without it. Adorable as hell!

One of our dogs usually wants to take a particular stuffed animal out on his walks, but then carefully deposits it in the same spot in the grass right in front of the front door. Every time. Won't pick it up again on the way back in, either. That's my job.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My whippet's sulking and not being my friend because I clipped her claws today. She has clear claws so they're easy to clip, but she has REALLY long quicks and no matter how often I trim her claws they just don't seem to recede, so her claws always look long. There's also the fact that she hates having them trimmed, oh my god. As soon as she sees the clippers she runs to hide someplace and gives me the saddest goddamn look, I feel absolutely rotten about it and try to make it quick with treats in between clips but she still acts like I've committed the greatest betrayal. She flinches when I clip her claws, too. Is it hurting her? Or is she just being a pussy? I've never cut her quick but maybe she's having flashbacks of the time I took her to the vet to have a broken claw removed.

Here she is being interrupted during her 8th nap of the day

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

dog days are over posted:

My whippet's sulking and not being my friend because I clipped her claws today. She has clear claws so they're easy to clip, but she has REALLY long quicks and no matter how often I trim her claws they just don't seem to recede, so her claws always look long. There's also the fact that she hates having them trimmed, oh my god. As soon as she sees the clippers she runs to hide someplace and gives me the saddest goddamn look, I feel absolutely rotten about it and try to make it quick with treats in between clips but she still acts like I've committed the greatest betrayal. She flinches when I clip her claws, too. Is it hurting her? Or is she just being a pussy? I've never cut her quick but maybe she's having flashbacks of the time I took her to the vet to have a broken claw removed.

If you're not hitting nerves, it could be a subconscious aversion to (the threat of) clippers coming near her feet/ the "click" that the clippers make when you cut her nails. Anyway, I feel bad for your whippet :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Are longdog-adjacent mutts permitted in this thread? I hope so, because I'm posting one. :colbert:

This is Cookie, as best we can tell she's half whippet, half black lab/pitbull mutt. Whippet, because of her shape; black lab, because of fuzzy tail and webbed toes; pitbull, because of temperament and head shape. She is literally the sweetest dog I have ever met, and the only one I've seen that will actively seek out hugs. :kimchi:

She's a bit of a chicken, though a weird one.

Things she's scared of: sidewalk trash cans, plastic bags, crinkly leaves that skitter on the sidewalk, the Roomba even when she's on the couch above it, plastic fencing, when tall new people look at her (I'm tall, and she's never been abused as far as we know)...
Things she's not scared of: lawn mowers, fast-moving cars, power saws, obviously much bigger dogs that are clearly ready to Wreck Your poo poo... these are all things that say (play!) to her.

This is when she was "trapped" in the couch/TV area because she didn't know there was a scary painting sitting in the chair. She could walk past it one way, but going back meant walking past the scary painting. She just laid here whining until we removed it. :allears:

She is very destructive with toys, but only her toys. There was a bit of confusion with the cat at first, and slippers/sandals/socks still occasionally fall prey to her, but only because she wants to carry them around. She hasn't destroyed anything we didn't want her to after the first lesson. This includes garbage cans that she could reach her head into. She loves to destroy tissues, but if they're in the garbage they're off-limits. (unless the cat knocks some out, then they're fair game again). She won't even get her toys out of the toy box; she waits while pointing her nose at what she wants to play with until someone gets it out for her.

Here she is investigating her favorite play toy, the cat, until we taught her not to do that.

Hobbies include destroying toys, playing tug, running around like an idiot, and eating food, especially table scraps and ice cream. We know she's not a greyhound because she can eat all of these things and not have any digestive issues whatsoever. We got a dog so we could blame farts on it, but that strategy fails when your dog doesn't fart.

She still occasionally goes on hunger strike though. Reasons include: regular food changed flavor; regular food hasn't changed flavor in a while; people left after last time food was given; people came back after leaving; loud noises; wet/dry food mixture ratio improperly applied; this one time a dog barked.

We have a few problems besides hunger strike, of course. Going outside in the yard is a multi-stage process, involving 1) let human open door 2) going out onto porch 3) wait for door to close 4) waiting fifteen minutes for human to come out on porch 5) dashing off into the darkness to do business and chase lizards and that f*(^ing squirrel now that it's safe. She has no roadsense at all, and we're still working on her recall. She gets her feelings hurt pretty easily too, and can be clingy, though thankfully she doesn't have separation anxiety at all. She rarely barks, and her alarm bark is an adorably quiet and useless "buff... boof... wuff". She baroos when she gets excited, which is cute without being annoying, and her bite inhibition is amazing. Overall, she's a sweetheart, gives lovely tiny little kisses on the nose, and often has very important things to tell you when cuddling on the couch.

This is the last thing you see before she wriggles her head onto your shoulder, rolls on her back, and tucks her nose under your chin. And then suffocates you with her weight on your chest.

We picked her out because we had originally been planning on getting a greyhound, and she was advertised as part greyhound. We still think she's the best dog, even if she isn't a :burger: dog. She might be small, but she has won over everybody that meets her. We love you Cookie!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Adorable! She reminds me of one of my favorite patients of all time, who was a pit bull/greyhound mix: slender, long dog body, GIANT pittie head. Sweetest boy in the world. He had bilateral TPLOs done. As he was waking up from the second surgery, I remember standing outside his kennel and saying his name,and his giant whippy tail would go THUD THUD THUD underneath his blankets. :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pastor of muppets posted:

Adorable! She reminds me of one of my favorite patients of all time, who was a pit bull/greyhound mix: slender, long dog body, GIANT pittie head. Sweetest boy in the world. He had bilateral TPLOs done. As he was waking up from the second surgery, I remember standing outside his kennel and saying his name,and his giant whippy tail would go THUD THUD THUD underneath his blankets. :3:
That's funny, because Cookie has an unstable knee joint, too! I wonder if that particular pit/hound combination is more prone to them or what. I think hers is mostly a patella issue though.

Every now and then, when she's really excited and cornering hard, she'll have a "blowout" and her patella and the muscle tendons will slip off to the side, and she becomes a tripod dog. Luckily it doesn't seem to hurt or distress her at all, she'll just tripod over to us, we'll straighten her leg to fix it, and she'll go back to being a dork. The vet said it's not worth fixing because the surgery would be worse than the small chance of arthritis she may get in the future, and it's been much less frequent now that she's put on weight.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I showed you that dog so I could show you this one (and explain why we're such terrible dog parents)

This is Spartacus:

We got him last Friday, so today it's been one week since we got him! He's a retired racer and has been in five races, and like the goon champion he was destined to be lost all of them terribly. He's only two years old he was so crummy at it.

I wanted to have plenty of pictures, so I shared the ones we had of Cookie from the past two years. It's a good thing too, because in the past week Spartacus has:

• Eaten six or seven baked apple slices cooling on the counter
  • Eaten half a pot of pasta off the stove back burner
  • Dug into the trash to pull out some empty sandwich meat packets
  • Eaten several bowls' worth of the cat's food
  • Found literally every single rawhide and cow hoof we had left over in Cookie's toy box, even after checking multiple times and removing them (at least four)
  • Dug into the trash again despite the lid being closed and ate some leftover barbeque, mac'n'cheese, and cole slaw
  • Tried to kill us by turning on the gas stove with his monstrous snoot
  • Dropped several gigantic poops right in the middle of the driveway
  • Finally allowed us to blame farts on the dog, though his are uniquely room-clearing

In comparison, in two years, Cookie has:
  • Shredded a pair of sandals
  • Shredded a pair of socks (really just one sock)
  • Shredded a knit hat

The villain in question, plotting our demise in his sleep.

Turns out we were completely spoiled by Cookie's good behavior and were completely unprepared for, you know, a normal dog.

Well, comparatively normal.
He's also stolen the softest spots to sit, though we were expecting that.

He isn't always the best at it, though.

You're falling off the couch there.

Idiot.

He's acclimated well with the other pets. He only tried to eat the cat's head once (giving me six deep claw marks on my chest in the process) and seems to like playing with Cookie, though she's clearly more into it than he is. We're hoping to build up his stamina.

(This is after Cookie went on a 5 mile run and Spartacus went on a 5 minute walk around the block. He's done for, Cookie still wants to play. Clearly a racing legend.)

Cookie is adjusting well too, though she hasn't quite figured out that she has to share now. For example, the bed she had been using previously.

It's ok, she occasionally gets her revenge.

Haha that's right bitch, MY HOUSE

Still, it's only been a week, and we already love him to pieces. He's so confident, handles stairs like a pro, and just loves to lean and get petted and EAT OH MY GOD THIS DOG IS INSATIABLE. Seriously dog, you go through five cups of food a day, why are you stealing half of our dinner and our garbage?!

Truly, the dog of kings.

E: to add - I also love how laying down for him is an involved process that looks like a building collapsing in slow motion, and him going down stairs when he's excited is like someone threw a rocking horse down a stairwell

2E: We can add a cat turd and a used hygiene product to the things he's dug out and tried to eat now. Well done showing us how completely unprepared we are for your bullshit. :suicide:

Also good job peeing on your own drat foot.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 6, 2016

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Wow he sounds like quite the scamp! Reminds me of my golden retriever who would eat anything and everything no matter what or where it was. These included a nail, plastic, a fruitcake that caused pancreatitis from which she nearly died, rotting deer leg, charcoal, a swing, the seatbelt in the back of my car at the time...You may have some adventures ahead of you! Reese our greyhound is so laid back and afraid of the kitchen so we never have to worry about him. Thanks for sharing all the pics and congrats on your giant skinny hound!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Took Wren to a fenced dog park, she got to run with all the other dogs, and for the first time I saw her go top speed.

Shortly after though:

RIP Happy Pup. :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

:kimchi: If you don't frame that one and put it on your wall I will be so disappointed.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkHorse posted:

like someone threw a rocking horse down a stairwell

This is such a perfect way of describing sighthound stair descent :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

2E: We can add a cat turd and a used hygiene product to the things he's dug out and tried to eat now. Well done showing us how completely unprepared we are for your bullshit. :suicide:

Also good job peeing on your own drat foot.

He's beautiful! I love when they have that black mask.

Also, what is it about cat turds in particular that they love so much? Mine's pretty good about not eating things she's not supposed to, but any chance she gets to get to the litter boxes, she'll happily go to town. I've had to make her puke it up before because she got in there and cleaned house (mostly because the litter causing an impaction in her guts was a big concern.) Will disregard her own and other dogs' poo poo, looooves her some cat poop. And sticking her nose up the cats' butts like she's some truffle-hunting pig, but for poop. :barf:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have to bath Willow pretty much every time I let her off lead for a run in a nearby field because we have a LOT of foxes in the area and she always very quickly finds fox poo poo and tries to merge with it. Rubbin, rollin, letting it all collect in her collar, trying to become one with it. Bloody hate foxes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Thanks for sharing all the pics and congrats on your giant skinny hound!

pastor of muppets posted:

He's beautiful! I love when they have that black mask.

Also, what is it about cat turds in particular that they love so much? Mine's pretty good about not eating things she's not supposed to, but any chance she gets to get to the litter boxes, she'll happily go to town. I've had to make her puke it up before because she got in there and cleaned house (mostly because the litter causing an impaction in her guts was a big concern.) Will disregard her own and other dogs' poo poo, looooves her some cat poop. And sticking her nose up the cats' butts like she's some truffle-hunting pig, but for poop. :barf:
Thanks guys! We are very happy with our big long-dog and his mask. I hope you don't mind my photo dumps, we just love him so much and wanted to share with other long-dog-havers!

As for cat poop, I've heard poop-eating (coprophagia) in dogs sometimes comes from an iron deficiency, because dead red blood cells get deposited in poop and it might be an attempt to reclaim the iron from hemoglobin. Cat poop is especially rich in iron because they are obligate carnivores and are more likely to have a higher concentration of meat in their diet. With greyhounds' incredibly high red blood cell count it would make sense, too.

Spartacus doesn't raid litterboxes, thankfully, we just have a geriatric cat that misses the box sometimes, and he interpreted this as floor candy :downs:

In other news, we went to the dog park today! And surprisingly, there were a lot of other hounds there too! At least four others!

All five of them were around here, but the other two are to the left and right of the frame. This was the best I managed of all of them :/

We got to see him run flat-out for the first time, and he spent a good 15 minutes chasing after a bird, a swift or swallow of some kind, and he was keeping pace with it! It was a low-flying insectivore and he was having a blast chasing after it. He got himself overheated though.

He learned this trick from one of the other greyhounds.

He was worn out after that. Here's the aftermath:

Bonus glamour shot: :swoon: