Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Of all the Batman villains, Joker probably cares the most about the perception of his crimes.

Yeah:

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, like the Joker doesn't have some deeply-held anti-racist beliefs. He doesn't have ANY beliefs, really.

But he's a sick, evil artist and he wants people to Get The Joke.

Yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

redbackground posted:

It doesn't need to be pointed out because uh, everyone knows?

Looking at that cover, I feel like there was a missed opportunity for Bucky to lament the loss of Jason Todd's life. You know, back when both of them were not alive again :v:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This just makes me think of Odin Quincannon in Preacher.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

...but which is the hams on a spear, and which is Wondy? I seriously can't tell them apart!!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ensign_Ricky posted:

...but which is the hams on a spear, and which is Wondy? I seriously can't tell them apart!!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Goddamn it, silver age.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Begemot posted:

I liked it more when it happened at the end of The Rocketeer.
Such an underrated movie and yeah, that was a great part.

Bruceski posted:

Again, think of a comedian crafting a joke. Sure you wanna make folks laugh, but ideally you want them to laugh at the joke you're trying to tell.

The Best Joker has always been the True Believer Joker wherein everything is dripping with symbolism and he wants you to SEE his reality, the real reality. He has the moral conviction to get his message out and his vital mission done in any way necessary. When he's random chaos things get boring and wanky.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duke Igthorn posted:

The Best Joker has always been the True Believer Joker wherein everything is dripping with symbolism and he wants you to SEE his reality, the real reality. He has the moral conviction to get his message out and his vital mission done in any way necessary. When he's random chaos things get boring and wanky.

Pretentious rear end in a top hat Joker is just as bad as lolrandom Joker.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Joker has always been bad. He's easily the least interesting Batman Rogue by miles, and I'm including dudes like Falcone and Joe Chill and Schumacher's version of Bane.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crowetron posted:

The Joker has always been bad. He's easily the least interesting Batman Rogue by miles, and I'm including dudes like Falcone and Joe Chill and Schumacher's version of Bane.

I loved Batman & Robin as a kid so that was my perception of Bane for most of my life. Easily that movie's worst genuinely terrible aspect.

Speaking of Joe Chill, a funny panel. Did you know Bruce Wayne had a nanny growing up? Well, get ready for the twist of the century:

(it's hilarious because it's convoluted and stupid)

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 5, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the Joker is like Wolverine: an entirely decent and interesting character who is heavily overexposed for marketing reasons.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Max Chill is my hacker alias

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Crowetron posted:

I like that previous clip where a psychopathic mass murderer thinks being a nazi is a bridge too far. DC really should sit on Joker for about five years and let the stink wear off of him.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trast posted:

I like that previous clip where a psychopathic mass murderer thinks being a nazi is a bridge too far. DC really should sit on Joker for about five years and let the stink wear off of him.

That's not a DC thing. Remember the panel of Dr. Doom, murderous dictator, shedding a single tear over 9/11?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's not a DC thing. Remember the panel of Dr. Doom, murderous dictator, shedding a single tear over 9/11?

He was sad because he didn't do it first.

He owned the insurance company that was going to have to pay out to all of the victims.

It was a malfunctioning Doombot.

He was the more recent incarnation of Doom that is trying to be a "good person".

Take your pick.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 5, 2016

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wade Wilson posted:

He was sad because he didn't do it first.

He owned the insurance company that was going to have to pay out to all of the victims.

It was a malfunctioning Doombot.

He was the more recent incarnation of Doom that is trying to be a "good person".

Take your pick.

The Latverian Embassy was in the WTC, and he was mourning the loss of all the Doombots who staffed it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

I just realized that, quite aside from the whole 'Doom shedding a tear over an atrocity much smaller than he's used to committing' thing, that the narration is implying that the terrorists are not human. And not in the fun 'actually a Skrull' way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Applies:

Also applies:

Seinfeld 9/11 Script

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

FredMSloniker posted:

I just realized that, quite aside from the whole 'Doom shedding a tear over an atrocity much smaller than he's used to committing' thing, that the narration is implying that the terrorists are not human. And not in the fun 'actually a Skrull' way.

Kingpin I can see having a "The only person who gets to terrorize my town is ME" attitude, but Magneto has murdered way more than 3000 people on multiple occasions.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Trast posted:

I think it's a good beat for the Joker.

a) It's funny, and the Joker knows this. He's aware of the irony in his statement and loves hamming it up for a crowd. It's also slightly funnier if he means it.

b) I think it's perfectly reasonable that a character so much larger-than-life would find bigotry distasteful or boring despite being evil as hell himself. Sure, real life people with a rapsheet anything like the Joker's are usually small-minded monsters who are more likely to be racist than not, but the Joker is anything but realistic.

Many iterations of the character have him thinking of himself as a performance artist who is making some kind of absurd (or occasionally high-faluting) statement through murder and mayhem. I could believe that the kind of villain who murders on the basis of petty bigotry alone is as annoying to him as your standard skilled comedian finds Jeff Dunham cracking wise at the Chuckle Hut.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It makes perfect sense to me that the Joker would hate groups who have the power to commit genocide/mass murder but do it WRONG.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

It makes perfect sense to me that the Joker would hate groups who have the power to commit genocide/mass murder but do it WRONG.

It makes perfect sense to me that Joker would hate groups that limit the scope of their murderous tendencies to just certain other groups. Murder equality for all. Everyone has the right to die by Joker's machinations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

It makes perfect sense to me that Joker would hate groups that limit the scope of their murderous tendencies to just certain other groups. Murder equality for all. Everyone has the right to die by Joker's machinations.

Sure, but Joker doesn't want to kill EVERYONE. There'd be no one around to appreciate it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He's an agent of chaos, that alone should make him hate the Nazis

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Too much paperwork, that was the problem!

I'd file it under the same sort of comedy as when the Joker refuses to go against the IRS, since he may be mad but he's not crazy - there's no point in getting bent out of shape about why a murderous psycho would be intimidated by the IRS, it's just a classic bit that goes back to Al Capone going down for tax evasion. Can't remember where that was from though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Sure, but Joker doesn't want to kill EVERYONE. There'd be no one around to appreciate it.

Yes, but everyone has the equal right to death should he so choose.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crowetron posted:

The Cesar Romero Joker was okay. (Frank Gorshin's Riddler was a better Joker, though.)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
IIRC, isn't that the comic that had Juggernaut there, even though Juggs knocked down the WTC himself once?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

X-O posted:

Yes, but everyone has the equal right to death should he so choose.

Some of the best comedians are Jewish, the Joker likes funny people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The best Joker is 'Crime as performance art' Joker a la B:TAS and Burton's Batman 89.

Joker in the comics around those years was pretty similar. I've posted his movie director caper he pulled against AzBats in this thread already, I believe.

Captain Bravo posted:

Some of the best comedians are Jewish, the Joker likes funny people.

I also love this, the Joker who loves old comedy routines, as seen in Going Sane. It's a great counterpart to something I love about Batman, when he loves classic adventure movies because of Zorro. There's a story where he's trying to save some old actor from a serial killer who targeted senior citizens and he thinks "He knew Douglas Fairbanks. He can't die." Come to think of it both of those stories were in Legends of the Dark Knight.

Goddamn legends of the dark knight was a great book.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 6, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Byzantine posted:

IIRC, isn't that the comic that had Juggernaut there, even though Juggs knocked down the WTC himself once?

Yeah, X-Force/Spider-man crossover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dolash posted:

Too much paperwork, that was the problem!

I'd file it under the same sort of comedy as when the Joker refuses to go against the IRS, since he may be mad but he's not crazy - there's no point in getting bent out of shape about why a murderous psycho would be intimidated by the IRS, it's just a classic bit that goes back to Al Capone going down for tax evasion. Can't remember where that was from though.

Joker's Millions episode of the Conroy / Hammel cartoon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You were watching goldfinger again last night your excellency?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Skwirl posted:

Joker's Millions episode of the Conroy / Hammel cartoon.

Also happened in an old Bill Finger story with the same name. I'd say the cartoon episode was based on it but... uh, never saw that episode to confirm.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, X-Force/Spider-man crossover.

Yeah, was one of the earliest comics I bought, like X-Force #4 I think

Also, I grew up with B:TAS Joker, so that's the good joker,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickFVmtWoco

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Travis343 posted:

I also love this, the Joker who loves old comedy routines, as seen in Going Sane. It's a great counterpart to something I love about Batman, when he loves classic adventure movies because of Zorro. There's a story where he's trying to save some old actor from a serial killer who targeted senior citizens and he thinks "He knew Douglas Fairbanks. He can't die." Come to think of it both of those stories were in Legends of the Dark Knight.

There's also probably the best episode of B:TAS, where Batman teams up with the actor that played the Gray Ghost, one of his favorite shows as a kid.

That was also I think one of the first times Adam West played a character specifically playing off being Adam West.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cleretic posted:

There's also probably the best episode of B:TAS, where Batman teams up with the actor that played the Gray Ghost, one of his favorite shows as a kid.

That was also I think one of the first times Adam West played a character specifically playing off being Adam West.

That's a good episode, but it doesn't even make my top 10. That show has a lot of good episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

That's a good episode, but it doesn't even make my top 10. That show has a lot of good episodes.

I hope the one with the giant farm animals is your number one, as it should be for everyone.