Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
From a mechanics perspective, they don't really have a "primary" or a "secondary" type, they just have single or dual typing. Bulbasaur is every bit as grassy as he is poisonous.

The order of the typing is USUALLY consistent based on some criteria (eg Normal is always Type 1, Flying always gets bumped to Type 2 when it's a dual type), but then there are some weird exceptions like Spiritomb (Ghost/Dark) and Sableye (Dark/Ghost) which just make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I'm curious what they'll do with Shedinja or Smeargle.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I heard a lot of people saying STAB(same type attack bonus, ie flying attacks with flying mons) applies in pokemon go, and then shortly after a lot of people saying STAB does not apply, and strong/weak attacks are only 1.25x/0.75x. Does anyone actually know?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Hadaka Apron posted:

I'm curious what they'll do with Shedinja or Smeargle.

It would be cool if Smeargle could use sketch at Gyms to copy moves for the rest of the battle at a gym, then it reverts back to Sketch.

Shedinja, I know in the Card Came, they treat him like a 'Regular' Pokemon in most cases, so they'll probably do that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
loving majestic is running wild at the gyms here, is Brazil ghosting my city wtf

youd think they go instinct

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Eyochigan posted:

I heard a lot of people saying STAB(same type attack bonus, ie flying attacks with flying mons) applies in pokemon go, and then shortly after a lot of people saying STAB does not apply, and strong/weak attacks are only 1.25x/0.75x. Does anyone actually know?
As far as I know the guys who looked inside the code found references to it but I don't think it's actually implemented in any fashion at the moment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

OOC what's the most number of gyms you've held at one point? I just get my two a night (last night said gently caress it and just got the one). Even though gyms are only blocks away in the time it takes to go to another one there's a very high chance I'll lose it, so I've just stuck to the 2 outside my building I can walk to

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 6, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The cp meter

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I've held down four gyms at the most, but they're kind of clustered in a square I can easily hit on my bike (and harder to access with a car).

e: I don't bother much anymore though; one or two is usually the most I go for if it's on my bike commute to work.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Fusion Restaurant posted:

It was actually increased, and its a bug. Confirmed by Niantic

Is there a good case for not playing till it is fixed? I have felt myself not chancing common stuff now as a result. If I am going to risk my balls, it better be a pikachu.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Alan Smithee posted:

OOC what's the most number of gyms you've held at one point? I just get my two a night (last night said gently caress it and just got the one). Even though gyms are only blocks away in the time it takes to go to another one there's a very high chance I'll lose it, so I've just stuck to the 2 outside my building I can walk to

One night I went out and got 7 gyms. I had two hours to go until my 5:30am cash in. I got 10 coins.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cartouche posted:

Is there a good case for not playing till it is fixed? I have felt myself not chancing common stuff now as a result. If I am going to risk my balls, it better be a pikachu.
Not really, no. The capture rate is exactly the same, it's just the bonuses you receive for getting a nice/great/excellent shot are bugged and not working as intended at the moment. It's certainly not gamebreaking unless you were using a bot that relied on excellent throws every single time.

The effect on a regular user is pretty minimal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The ball bonuses are literally the only skill involved in the catching part of this game. It doing nothing is a pretty big deal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who wants to bet Ditto is going to have an attack called Transform that does 25dmg and that's it :effort:

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

Not really, no. The capture rate is exactly the same, it's just the bonuses you receive for getting a nice/great/excellent shot are bugged and not working as intended at the moment. It's certainly not gamebreaking unless you were using a bot that relied on excellent throws every single time.

The effect on a regular user is pretty minimal.

This is speculation, before anyone takes it to heart (but then, many things about this game are).

quote:

https://skiplagged.com/pokemon

This tracker seems to be working in the bigger cities

This works because it is crowdsourced data as opposed to accessing the servers through the API.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who wants to bet Ditto is going to have an attack called Transform that does 25dmg and that's it :effort:

Don't forget Tackle and Struggle!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Megaflare posted:

This is speculation, before anyone takes it to heart (but then, many things about this game are).

Its not. Niantic came out and said the throwing bonuses are bugged.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I wish Metapod had harden.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not. Niantic came out and said the throwing bonuses are bugged.

I'm aware, it just didn't seem very clear to me what they stated.

Ed: Hmm, not sure how to explain. Nevermind me.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 6, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has anyone actually witnessed a gym get taken in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight? I live in the city/suburbs so it's way too dense to tell where I am

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
The only gym I enjoy is when I pick my husband up from the commuter rail in Weymouth daily. Plenty of times we have noticed no one to be found when we are taken over suddenly, usually by Mystic. It's a large parking lot, but you have to be fairly close to the rail to be close enough to the gym, and we never see anyone. All of the close cars are gone by then.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Alan Smithee posted:

The best strategy seems to be taking them while no one is looking. I can hold like 6 to 8 gyms in my neighbourhood at 3am, probably more if I tried, as long as no one is awake to take them back. I'm just putting 1000-1200CP Slowbro on there, so it's not like they are hard to take back. I've done this a few times now and gyms got taken back while I was still out only one or two times. It also happened today, I just left the contested one for last and put a CP10 Magikarp on there as I collected my coins.

And then all of those gyms will be taken by others in the morning, they change hands constantly. There have only been two gyms in my neighbourhood that were held for a longer period of time, like 5 days. A blue tower near my house and a red tower at the station, both level 7-8 with a Snorlax or a Dragonite on top. The blue tower slowly got chipped down over the past two days to the point that my Vaporeon fell out, but it was still at level 3, so I tried to grind it up a bit. The red tower was gone today, so I put a Magikarp on there too.

In the center of Amsterdam it's quite different, there it's a constant war of level 35-38 botters with 3000CP Dragonites.

e: Doing this by bike, walking would take way too long.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Has anyone actually witnessed a gym get taken in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight? I live in the city/suburbs so it's way too dense to tell where I am

me n a bro took down a little gym with no one around and before we could hit the button and put poo poo in there

there was already a flareon

:ghost:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just an fyi that 99.9999999% of players above 35 botted or cheated in some way to get there. If you divide the amount of xp it takes by the days the game has been out you reach an impossible amount of xp per day without all perfect throws and catching nearly a thousand pokemon a day

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Astrobastard posted:

https://skiplagged.com/pokemon

This tracker seems to be working in the bigger cities

Is there a way to edit this to only display certain mons? It seems to be constantly changing as I move it around. Or is that something that is server side?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My favorite gym experience so far was walking past someone downtown who was clearly wiping out a gym. As soon as the gym turned grey I dropped a Magikarp in there.

All my favorite gym experiences involve dropping a Magikarp now that I think about it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a way to edit this to only display certain mons? It seems to be constantly changing as I move it around. Or is that something that is server side?

filter on the bottom left, its not a very good filter unless you zoom way out first

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone a long while ago in the thread mentioned seeing a drone take a gym back after they beat it. It's probably still my favorite story related to the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fauxtool posted:

filter on the bottom left, its not a very good filter unless you zoom way out first

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. It constantly changes when you move around. I just want to have like 20 or 30 to search for, even if they aren't checked. That way when one pops, I might be able to get there within 10 mins or so.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
pokeadvisor is the best. It's funny how I did calculations for certain mons and this program showed me how they were complete crap. Someone mentioned this program gets it's info directly from the niantic servers? Highly recommend it to anyone not giving it a try. =)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

notoriousman posted:

I don't understand why it takes 125 candies to go from Nidoran♂ to Nidoking, same with Oddish/Bellsprout/Poliwag to their final evolutions (which is also the same cost to go from Dratini to Dragonite). I wish they'd do a balance pass on how many candies you need to evolve certain species based on their stats.

I wish they'd completely change the lovely candy grinding evolution mechanic to something that doesn't suck.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

eXXon posted:

I wish they'd completely change the lovely candy grinding evolution mechanic to something that doesn't suck.

I'm sure it wouldn't work, but I wish they would narrow the candy down by Pokemon type. water, grass, psychic. I think that would be good for players who get a rare hatch from an egg and can't evolve it because they'll never see that exact Pokemon again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, it's total BS to need to catch like 15 of a certain type to evolve it when you only have ever seen 1.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Candy Dawn posted:

pokeadvisor is the best. It's funny how I did calculations for certain mons and this program showed me how they were complete crap. Someone mentioned this program gets it's info directly from the niantic servers? Highly recommend it to anyone not giving it a try. =)

When you ask for your inventory from the server, you get a list of your pokemon complete with the IV values. No guess work involved.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr. Jive posted:

My favorite gym experience so far was walking past someone downtown who was clearly wiping out a gym. As soon as the gym turned grey I dropped a Magikarp in there.

All my favorite gym experiences involve dropping a Magikarp now that I think about it.

I prefer to drop this bad boy in my gym drive bys:

Or a wigglytuff, but that one actually hits pretty hard so I don't find it as amusing.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Best 20 mons or so, generally. Just ordered by max CP. That and dps from pokemondb.

I have so many of those mons with the wrong moves :negative:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Alan Smithee posted:

I've been holding 4 without retaking them for a couple of days now. Basically I've been finding gyms that are my color, training until a spot opens up, then plunking down something that'll be the last or second to last one that somebody will fight. They seem to last longer than just taking over a gym and being the only thing in there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

Lately about 90% of my eggs have been 5k and the other 10% 2k, don't think I've seen a 10k egg for more than a week now. Now I can't scan for useful pokes most of my playing time is spent collecting the usual evo fodder for my last egg spree and hatching as many eggs as possible. Having said that there are a surprising number of water spawns here considering we're nearly 200km from the sea and there isn't a river, I'm halfway to my second Gyarados.

What's the highest magikarp anyone's seen? Mine are never more than 150 so I'm worried i'm gonna have a weakass Gyro but such is Pogo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pokeadvisor is great for making you disappointed every time you get a new Pokemon.

All the pokemon with good IVs either have poo poo moves or I can't get the candy to evolve them :geno:

Shifty Pony posted:

I prefer to drop this bad boy in my gym drive bys:

Or a wigglytuff, but that one actually hits pretty hard so I don't find it as amusing.

There's a person near my house that keeps putting a 23cp Arbok in the local gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Gave in and had a look at Pokeadvisor, I've got 5 90+% pokemon including 1 100%.... Weedle.

At least my Charmander and Squirtle are among those 90% so I can have hope for a kickass Charizard and Venusaur sometime next year.

• Locked thread