Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In potentially symbolic news, Ross Perot's flag is safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

This won't end well for anyone involved.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
You guys realize this is gonna flip back around right? There's no way Trump can keep flailing like this for the next three months. Eventually folks will get tired of him rehashing his previous comments, or Hillary will [whatever the female equivalent of stepping on one's own dick is], or Manafort will roofie him for three days straight during the Olympics, and suddenly a poll will come out where he's down by 3-4 instead of 7-8, and everyone will be talking about how he's right back in the race.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/761723544224923648

This is just weird.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackson Taus posted:

You guys realize this is gonna flip back around right? There's no way Trump can keep flailing like this for the next three months. Eventually folks will get tired of him rehashing his previous comments, or Hillary will [whatever the female equivalent of stepping on one's own dick is], or Manafort will roofie him for three days straight during the Olympics, and suddenly a poll will come out where he's down by 3-4 instead of 7-8, and everyone will be talking about how he's right back in the race.

I'm not sure about this, actually, The media has officially turned on him and they can't really switch back into horse-race mode that easily. Trump has also been spending 2 weeks making GBS threads his pants non-stop live on stage.

Right now he's being forced to submit which is just going to make things worse the next time he explodes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I'm fairly surprised those morons didn't shoot each other JFC

I'm of half the mind that the fact that they had a very good chance of shooting another cop is the real reason the hammer seems to actually being dropped, not because he opened fire on a fleeing suspect in a residential neighbourhood. The police truck that the car hit was right in the line of fire and I wouldn't be surprised if it was hit too, and neither of these guys thought that was a good enough reason to not shoot.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jackson Taus posted:

No he won't. This train wrecks going end over end, on fire, straight to November.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mountaineer posted:

What is Trump's campaign even spending money on? I just heard on the radio the other day that he raised a lot of money in July, though not as much as Clinton. It sounds like he isn't spending much on ads or organizing.

I have a pet theory that he's not going to spend jack poo poo in this election. Then he's going to have the most lavish victory party set up that American politics has ever seen. Held at a Trump property, planed, catered and staffed by Trump businesses. Just an amazing, $200 million dollar party that he throws a fit at like a spoiled girl on My Super Sweet 16.

Of course that's only after someone explains to him that he can't just directly pocket the money in his campaign account after the election.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yinlock posted:

I'm not sure about this, actually, The media has officially turned on him and they can't really switch back into horse-race mode that easily. Trump has also been spending 2 weeks making GBS threads his pants non-stop live on stage.

Right now he's being forced to submit which is just going to make things worse the next time he explodes.

I'm honestly wondering what exactly they told him to make him cool it. Was it just a sanity check? Threats of some sort? Bribery? Some sort of realization of mutually assured destruction?

Any speculation? I'm stumped.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reminder that this is what actually happened, captured on video for all eternity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az6wof3iyIw

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

St. Dogbert posted:

Yup... Kevin Nash dumping sewage into Randy Savage's limo while he was inside.

It is possible that I've been re-reading "The Death of WCW" by RD Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez this week.

this current election

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gyges posted:

I have a pet theory that he's not going to spend jack poo poo in this election. Then he's going to have the most lavish victory party set up that American politics has ever seen. Held at a Trump property, planed, catered and staffed by Trump businesses. Just an amazing, $200 million dollar party that he throws a fit at like a spoiled girl on My Super Sweet 16.

Of course that's only after someone explains to him that he can't just directly pocket the money in his campaign account after the election.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me, my theory is that he's expecting to lose and doesn't care but you can read all about the crazy campaign in this new book!

e: or at least that was my theory until Trump bent the knee like a loving bitch beta

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 6, 2016

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
He sounds like Frank Reynolds. This baby's gonna be great, I'm tellin' ya! It's a super-baby! This baby's gonna make us some fuckin' money!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I like that in the span of literal hours it went from "I didn't kick the baby out." to "I got the baby out nicely."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm honestly wondering what exactly they told him to make him cool it. Was it just a sanity check? Threats of some sort? Bribery? Some sort of realization of mutually assured destruction?

Just one word, whispered in his ear.
"Polonium."

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

exploding mummy posted:

this current election

This current election is Savage pumping sewage into the limo while he's still in it, while Nash looks on, briefly glancing back at his own unused sewage truck

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Honestly wouldn't surprise me, my theory is that he's expecting to lose and doesn't care but you can read all about the crazy campaign in this new book!

Does he think anyone's gonna read his book about the campaign? some staffer is gonna make bank, though.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Did the mother ever come forward? It would be a shame if it's just "the Trump baby" in the history books, plus we'd be denied the "you won't BELIEVE what the Trump baby looks like NOW" clickbait in 20 years.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Ice Phisherman posted:

It seems that if you have a large enough room of people yelling at him, and he's insulated from his adoring public, his entire staff can wrangle him very, very, very briefly. He's Bent The Knee several times in the run-up to the convention, and it always holds for about a week until he goes hog wild again.

All the Clinton campaign really has to do is have someone that's unassailable say something negative about trump and he'll drink poison, jump out a window with a noose on, and shoot himself in the head at the same time. If the Clinton campaign doesn't have some 9/11 first responders waiting in the wings to say he doesn't respect the office of the president, they're wasting an opportunity.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Medication slipped into his food? Leading to drama down the line when a bunch of amateurs accidentally OD him and at the very least send him to the hospital or at worst fatally poison him?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
He's literally a toddler. Right now he's compliant because the gop handed him an ice cream bar to shut up. Soon he'll be done smearing it all himself and he'll be back to crying for attention.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ice Phisherman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the day or two of muzzled Trump comes from someone actually forcing him to get a full night's sleep via ambien or something. Then he goes back to barely any sleep for a while and gets crazier and crazier until Manafort once again manages to trick him into getting a full night's sleep.

Pleasing Shape posted:

Did the mother ever come forward? It would be a shame if it's just "the Trump baby" in the history books, plus we'd be denied the "you won't BELIEVE what the Trump baby looks like NOW" clickbait in 20 years.

That baby was Albert Einstein.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Pleasing Shape posted:

If it's not singing in Philharmonic Hall, I'm tellin' ya, New York City, the great Philharmonic Hall, then we can mark it down as yet another one of Trump's lies.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Haven't you been playing attention? The baby is Pavarotti, not Einstein.

He's apparently going off on a pro-waterboarding rant atm.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gyges posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the day or two of muzzled Trump comes from someone actually forcing him to get a full night's sleep via ambien or something. Then he goes back to barely any sleep for a while and gets crazier and crazier until Manafort once again manages to trick him into getting a full night's sleep.

Honestly I think the sleep idea is probably the best. The campaign trail is grueling in a way that people his age rarely feel. If he's staying up all night checking twitter and social media for what people are saying about him and getting four or less hours of sleep a night one can go crazy over time as they slip. For him I assume it's crazier as he's not completely in touch with reality anyway.

I think that this is a big part of having a successful and talented team that Trump is really lacking and it's showing. Hillary has attracted highly talented people. They take the burden off her because she listens to them and doesn't micromanage them. Trump can't attract any real talent, he doesn't listen to them and generally he runs a one man show. In fact his actual talent spends most of their time cleaning up after his messes. He's creating work for them to do by acting out instead of allowing them to help him.

This is all speculation, but I think it fits. Hillary ran a campaign before and has been on the trail with her husband twice. She's experienced and probably knows her limits. He's not experienced in this, doesn't know his limits and doesn't trust anyone on his campaign enough for them to create less work for him. Everything gets micromanaged and that's exhausting in a time where he's already being exhausted.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 6, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jackson Taus posted:

Even if that happens, which is unlikely because Trump doesn't have that level of self-control and the media's now openly calling bullshit on him and his spokespeople, Hilary and the Dems being sane and laying down the policy and details for people is going to make Trump have to really work to claw his way back up. Even if he manages to do so there's going to be the core of people who went "wow Trump's insane... huh, this stuff about Hilary's mostly bullshit and she's not bad" who he's not getting back unless Clinton fucks up in a yuuge way.

Then the Debates happen and there's no way Trump is going to rattle Hilary unless he says some truly horrific poo poo that leaves America speechless and if that happens then the race is over and the only question left will be how big of a gain the Dems make in Congress.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pleasing Shape posted:

2nd Trump baby.

The 1st Trump baby would be from a picture from a rally from an early part of 2015 where the mother looks absolutely ecstatic to meet Trump.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

In all honesty, they probably told him that his popularity would plummet if he didn't do the endorsement (or that it would rise if he did give an endorsement). He has to have the biggest crowds, the loudest crowds, and the most attention and someone he puts at least a little trust in likely told him that he would lose all of that if he didn't make the endorsements.

He's also doing the same thing with his focus on the baby in his speeches today, but the difference with that is it's not a simple binary toggle like 'I give / I don't give you my endorsement". Hence, the result is Trump spouting off about the media being biased because in his mind it's not 'throwing the baby out' since he waited a minute or two before throwing them out. I think it may be that at a fundamental level Trump truly does not view his action as throwing the baby out because he was able to bravely and proudly display the most basic degree of patience by waiting a handful of minutes before telling them to leave. He also seems to not understand that constantly bringing it up is doing the exact opposite of damage control because it's refreshing the incident for those who already knew about it and actively bringing up the incident for anyone who someone missed hearing about it while convincing virtually nobody that he was in the right.

The nice thing about Trump is his personality is such that there is extremely little chance of him gaining in the polls to any great degree at any point in time. While this is probably going to be his most disastrous period, it's not even close to the end of him making very public bad decisions. His every action is made based on a desperate need for attention and popularity and losing the spotlight's focus for any significant length of time is something which can and must not happen in his mind, even if it doing so would boost his chances of winning in the long run. If he seems quiet and subdued and sticks to a script it's almost certainly because someone convinced him that doing so would gain him a bunch of popularity. However, Trump (so far at least) is very low energy when he stays on-script and when he's low energy he doesn't get as many wild shouts and cheers from the crowd in front of him so he inevitably goes off of his script and begins to spout utter nonsense and the crowd inevitably cheers. When Trump is speaking, future scandal doesn't matter to him, the reactions of people far away watching on TV and over the Internet don't matter to him, people who don't agree with him absolutely don't matter to him, all that matters is the reaction of the crowd he is in front of in the here and now.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Evil Fluffy posted:

Then the Debates happen and there's no way Trump is going to rattle Hilary unless he says some truly horrific poo poo that leaves America speechless and if that happens then the race is over and the only question left will be how big of a gain the Dems make in Congress.

I think Trump is going to skip the debates. Possibly all of them, but at least one. He's been telegraphing it for over a month now with the made up excuse of the letter from the NFL and complaining about vote rigging. Just like in the republican primaries it's most likely not going to go well for him.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think Trump is going to skip the debates. Possibly all of them, but at least one. He's been telegraphing it for over a month now with the made up excuse of the letter from the NFL and complaining about vote rigging. Just like in the republican primaries it's most likely not going to go well for him.

No he's going to announce he'll skip the debates then Clinton will make fun of him for it and he'll immediately backtrack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ice Phisherman posted:

This would probably be better for his election chances than calling Hilary a bitch or blaming her for Bill's affairs, but not by much. Skipping a debate is almost certainly going to end up a Q&A with Hilary while she and the moderators constantly point out Trump's afraid of a debate for the Presidency so how could he possibly handle Putin or any other hostile world leader.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even if that happens, which is unlikely because Trump doesn't have that level of self-control and the media's now openly calling bullshit on him and his spokespeople, Hilary and the Dems being sane and laying down the policy and details for people is going to make Trump have to really work to claw his way back up. Even if he manages to do so there's going to be the core of people who went "wow Trump's insane... huh, this stuff about Hilary's mostly bullshit and she's not bad" who he's not getting back unless Clinton fucks up in a yuuge way.

Trump's biggest problem is that the polling is showing him way, way down. Hillary up in Georgia is a big loving deal, and if this type of polling keeps up for much longer Trump is going to have the loser stink begin to stick to him. Then he's really hosed, because people don't want to put in any effort to vote for someone they know is going to lose big.

At least he'll still be billing their credit cards though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yinlock posted:

When you think about it, he had to do the same thing when Obama was riffing on him at the White House Correspondent's dinner. He just sat there and took it (given his birther remarks it was justified IMHO, WTF did he think would happen if he spends weeks dissing Obama and then goes to a dinner where he's expected to speak?) and he got angry enough to finally decide to run for Prez.

I'm betting he needed to be threatened, perhaps someone has a copy of his tax return (which I'm sure no one outside of him will ever see until after November) or something else hard against his fortune, if you try to bribe him you'll wind up giving away the farm to pay him and have him come back for more (as his credit card contributors are finding out the hard way.)

His endorsements aren't exactly ringing with enthusiasm IMHO though, he's kinda acting like a guy who knows there's a Luger poking him in the back.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gyges posted:

Trump's biggest problem is that the polling is showing him way, way down. Hillary up in Georgia is a big loving deal, and if this type of polling keeps up for much longer Trump is going to have the loser stink begin to stick to him. Then he's really hosed, because people don't want to put in any effort to vote for someone they know is going to lose big.

At least he'll still be billing their credit cards though.

One of the nice side-effects of this is that when he first entered the race he caused damage to his brand due to his racism and toxicity. If/when he gets blown away in a landslide come November it might maybe, just maybe, be enough to cause the gold leaf to fall off the Trump-branded turd and ruin him for good.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Feinne posted:

No he's going to announce he'll skip the debates then Clinton will make fun of him for it and he'll immediately backtrack.

I think it depends on when he pulls out of them. If he does it a week or two beforehand he'll probably go into it because he was made fun of. If he does it a day or two beforehand he may follow through with it.

He might do the Ross Perot thing and run a separate debate just for him and respond to her in a place where she can't easily respond back.

quote:

I can't begin to imagine just how hated Trump will be by the republicans and republican party if he's the one that loses the previously solid South. Georgia becoming a swing state is the beginning of the end for the republicans current strategy. If he loses Texas too (unlikely but it could happen if he fucks up hard enough) it will shatter the party.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Somehow, I can't believe he brought up the baby again

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been thinking about this Trump Purple Heart thing. I don't think he can back down, but if he had a shred of common sense, he'd have that medal mounted in a nice display, with a portrait of that veteran. He'd then hang it up in his office in a conspicuous place. Then, he'd arrange for an interview or a photoshoot where you can see it in the background.
After that, if necessary, he'd leak to some smaller news site that it's visible, or make some sort of meme about it and get it spread virally. He'd then arrange for someone to ask him about it, and brush it off with something like "Look, I brought it up at my speech because I was blown away by the gesture, but to be honest, this is a personal thing between me and that veteran. I put that up in my office so that I can have a constant reminder of what's really important. If you have a problem with that you can take a hike."

But Trump is Trump, so I won't be surprised if he starts trying to collect as many Purple Hearts as possible.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Somehow, I can't believe he brought up the baby again

He's seriously fixated on that baby. He's trying to be serious and boring but starts every boring speech with doubling-down on the baby thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"That baby was probably a Democrat anyway. You know how entitled millennials are."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been thinking about this Trump Purple Heart thing. I don't think he can back down, but if he had a shred of common sense, he'd have that medal mounted in a nice display, with a portrait of that veteran. He'd then hang it up in his office in a conspicuous place. Then, he'd arrange for an interview or a photoshoot where you can see it in the background.
After that, if necessary, he'd leak to some smaller news site that it's visible, or make some sort of meme about it and get it spread virally. He'd then arrange for someone to ask him about it, and brush it off with something like "Look, I brought it up at my speech because I was blown away by the gesture, but to be honest, this is a personal thing between me and that veteran. I put that up in my office so that I can have a constant reminder of what's really important. If you have a problem with that you can take a hike."

But Trump is Trump, so I won't be surprised if he starts trying to collect as many Purple Hearts as possible.
If he had a shred of common sense he would not have accepted the purple heart

• Locked thread