Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

HenryEx posted:

I've just had a lv 46 Gladiator in cutter's cry (yes no job) who just ran into mobs, popped random cooldowns, then... did, i don't know what. the bard and dragoon were the de-facto tanks, never saw a single flash

So it turns out that a DRG CAN tank the chimera boss, didn't expect that.

Oh yeah, I've tanked that boss as a ninja. It really doesn't do very much damage and you can dodge his attacks that do a fair bit of damage as long as you're paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Dukka posted:

Not glitched, but rather you have to capture three special level thirty bombs of which there are only a few. Almost all of them die the second they spawn since everyone tries to grab them. Why they aren't instanced nobody knows.

Plus you also get trolls killing them on purpose.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dragoons can tank almost anything that was around prior to the tank adjustments. They have the highest non tank HP and defense and are equal on MDEF with the rest of the physical DPS. Not to mention that a lot of tank armor sub level 50 is dragon equippable.

I've tanked some of the level 60 dungeons as a dragoon (once again pre-tank adjustments) and tons of ARR content. Hell, I even DRGTNKed echnida for her final phase.

Most of the stuff post-tank adjustments hits hard enough that dragoon tanking is less effective, but generally speaking you don't need a tank for most content in the game.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I took a break from this game and just resubbed. Tidy break also included deleting the game. Christ I forgot how awful the ps4 download client is. I can't even leave it open over night because it keeps erroring and logging me out. I'm not downloading this from square one every time I have to start it over again am I?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dragoons can tank almost anything that was around prior to the tank adjustments. They have the highest non tank HP and defense and are equal on MDEF with the rest of the physical DPS. Not to mention that a lot of tank armor sub level 50 is dragon equippable.

I've tanked some of the level 60 dungeons as a dragoon (once again pre-tank adjustments) and tons of ARR content. Hell, I even DRGTNKed echnida for her final phase.

Most of the stuff post-tank adjustments hits hard enough that dragoon tanking is less effective, but generally speaking you don't need a tank for most content in the game.

Holding aggro as a dragoon is a bit of a challenge though unless you're with a bunch of bads.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Holding aggro as a dragoon is a bit of a challenge though unless you're with a bunch of bads.

In any instance where a dragoon may need to step up and tank, the chances that you are grouped with bads are quite high. Monk tanking works the same way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I'm proud of myself. It's a short romp, but I'm okay with that. It'll probably be more fun in a couple days when there aren't 200 people all trying to get the same FATE.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

The best part of this event is all the idiots wasting their time spamming skills, or even better, creating a line to access the mobs rather than just waiting a few days since it runs until Aug 26th. Gotta waste time now, then run to reddit/forums to bitch about it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've held Calofisteri for about 45 seconds as Bard once when my parties tank died and the other two didn't step up. She seriously hits like she's made of pillows, even her frontal cleave. It's seriously just her mechanics that are painful at all. Echnida atleast does have that one instant attack on her target that hits moderately hard.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/short_stories/#sidestory_01

For those who have not yet noticed, they've been uploading a series of short stories that elaborate on the events of the whole Heavensward expansion. These include stories of how Haurchefant earned his knighthood as recollected by a mourner at his grave, Lord Lolorito being called to account for his actions during 2.5, and also how the previous Archimandrite of the Heavens' Ward 'stepped down'.

It's pretty neat stuff.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/short_stories/#sidestory_01

For those who have not yet noticed, they've been uploading a series of short stories that elaborate on the events of the whole Heavensward expansion. These include stories of how Haurchefant earned his knighthood as recollected by a mourner at his grave, Lord Lolorito being called to account for his actions during 2.5, and also how the previous Archimandrite of the Heavens' Ward 'stepped down'.

It's pretty neat stuff.

Love these. I always wanted to find a collection of all the Vana'diel newsletters they had in XI, but I never could. There was some good stuff in there.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
TPT.jpg

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wait, are two of the poses supposed to be the DBZ fusion poses

Because that'd be cool

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Where's your center? How are you supposed to be a proper group without a center?!?

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Where's your center? How are you supposed to be a proper group without a center?!?

That probably would have been me if I hadn't gone to bed

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Missing, which is why it's TPT.jpg, duh.

This event owns, I got all the armour pieces in about 30mn and only need to run the event fates two more times for the emotes. :3:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lemon-Lime posted:

Missing, which is why it's TPT.jpg, duh.

This event owns, I got all the armour pieces in about 30mn and only need to run the event fates two more times for the emotes. :3:

I'm glad it's easy to get everything because this event seems like they really didn't think it through for more than a small number of people. I don't know if the second fate just scales badly or what but last night it was really easy to get gold but today the bombs have so much health they're almost all self destructing before they die and no matter how many hits we get in most people can't get more than silver, a lot of people have been complaining about not being able to get enough in to get participation rewards at all. The first one is just way too short and ends in like five seconds.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its on for over 2 weeks, and after the initial rush it'll die down and be fine, like every other seasonal event. Its not worth freaking out about.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The argument about illusion of choice blah blah blah a few pages back is idiotic. Fixing that entire thing takes exactly two steps: 1) You create a system where no one sees any numbers, ever. 2) You encrypt every piece of data moving between the client and the server, hard. Bam. Problem solved. No one will ever know what is optimal. Why MMOs don't do this already boggles the mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well congrats you just made it dumber.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
even as a joke suggestion that is hilariously awful

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Started from Zuro Roggo. The other bards gear wasn't the greatest, definitely not optimal though. Padjali Bow and mostly 240 left side Lore except belt, which was the WC belt. 240 Lore ring and neck, with 215 dungeon bits in the other 3 right side slots. But the thing that stood out hard was the fact that nothing was melded at all. Even with as easy as it is to obtain materia and the zero crafter requirement to meld progression gear these days, people are still ignoring it.

Also Calcabrina hosed up my opener by interrupting Empyreal at the last possible moment, which caused my follow up Straight Shot to eat my Barrage. :sigh:

Skaw fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 6, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nurge posted:

The argument about illusion of choice blah blah blah a few pages back is idiotic. Fixing that entire thing takes exactly two steps: 1) You create a system where no one sees any numbers, ever. 2) You encrypt every piece of data moving between the client and the server, hard. Bam. Problem solved. No one will ever know what is optimal. Why MMOs don't do this already boggles the mind.
Great idea, and then someone will spend an afternoon killing crabs and counting how many times you have to use a skill to kill a crab, and the next day there's a new crab based measurement system for mob HP and skill damage.

You know, kind of like how people figured out how enmity works in this game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, or poo poo like figuring out motion values in Monster Hunter.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Nurge posted:

Is this a joke post?
I hope it's a joke post because every single bit of it is stupid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homeless snail posted:

Great idea, and then someone will spend an afternoon killing crabs and counting how many times you have to use a skill to kill a crab, and the next day there's a new crab based measurement system for mob HP and skill damage.

Yeah, unless you randomize everything to an unreasonable extent people will still determine the data through sheer brute forcing the numbers. It's better to be transparent and just save everyone the effort.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Time to start grinding out relic #2.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
https://a.pomf.cat/phbevu.webm

The new emotes are great.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I want to see people's magical girl class changes with these emotes integrated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nurge posted:

Congratulations, you've just designed a game that nobody will ever play.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

Wrong. He designed a SaGa game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think that proves his point.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh right, completely overlooked the psychological aspect. People have been conditioned by pretty much every video game ever to have numbers that demonstrate their superiority over the other guy/computer, even shooters have scores, kill counts, timers, or some other kind of numerical bragging rights. About the only games without numbers are pure puzzle games. Anything with combat is going to use numbers as an abstraction layer because you can't (or don't want to) model physical injury at a realistic scale, and hiding those numbers from the player entirely will frustrate them rather quickly for several reasons.

First is they won't know when their character is going to die or is in danger of dying. Second is they won't know when their opponent is going to die. Without these two important data points, combat becomes utterly unpredictable and quickly frustrating.

If you removed all randomness from the system to prevent this, all you've done is annoyed your hardcore players and driven off everyone else because they can't put the time in to learn how your game works when just going to WoW or FF or TOR doesn't require the equivalent of a college 101 course to play.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Except that you know that doesn't actually happen. All you need to do is look at vanilla WoW and the original Everquest to see how optimal solutions aren't figured out for years and years and years no matter how many people try to find them or how good they are at it if the numbers aren't given to you on a platter. In fact most of the numbers were still available in those cases. Only minor obfuscation creates a system people will not break for a time. Making it completely opaque will not be solved in a meaningful timeframe.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 6, 2016

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

Except that you know that doesn't actually happen. All you need to do is look at vanilla WoW and the original Everquest to see how optimal solutions aren't figured out for years and years and years no matter how many people try to find them or how good they are at it if the numbers aren't given to you on a platter.

Did we play the same Everquest?

The answer to every single problem in the game was inevitably to throw more clerics (and therefore more bodies) at it until the boss died because the only numbers that mattered were how many revives you could bring.

Edit: Also kinda proving his point there friend. Those games don't exist anymore.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Also kinda proving his point there friend. Those games don't exist anymore.

Because people are stupid babies.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nurge posted:

Except that you know that doesn't actually happen. All you need to do is look at vanilla WoW and the original Everquest to see how optimal solutions aren't figured out for years and years and years no matter how many people try to find them or how good they are at it if the numbers aren't given to you on a platter.
That's only because no one knew what the gently caress they were doing in Everquest since it was all so new. Its 2016 now and people have wisened up re how game mechanics work, and are just smarter and more efficient about breaking things down in general. What I described is something that has literally happened by the way, they just used water sprites instead of crabs.

e: TBH I actually think a completely opaque MMO that is undatamineable because everything is encrypted and it only serves up the decryption keys for relevant content when you're interacting with it could be a cool idea. Its just totally incompatible with the now standard MMO formula that's about being productive and clearing content over and over again, because that kind of game necessarily relies on a basis of trust between the game and player and you can't build that trust without a certain amount of transparency. That's why people are responding to you negatively cause this is the FF14 thread and FF14 would loving suck if it operated like your hypothetical game.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 6, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nurge posted:

Or because people grew up, no longer had literal infinite free time, and as such started to think about things like "how much fun am I actually having in the time I invest in this game?"

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

Oh I get it this is your gimmick. Cool post, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Number 2

• Locked thread