Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pakled posted:

"That baby was probably a Democrat anyway. You know how entitled millennials are."

Hey, don't put that baby on millenials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

straight up brolic posted:

If he had a shred of common sense he would not have accepted the purple heart

True, but he can't undo that, and he can't admit he's wrong.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been thinking about this Trump Purple Heart thing. I don't think he can back down, but if he had a shred of common sense, he'd have that medal mounted in a nice display, with a portrait of that veteran. He'd then hang it up in his office in a conspicuous place. Then, he'd arrange for an interview or a photoshoot where you can see it in the background.
After that, if necessary, he'd leak to some smaller news site that it's visible, or make some sort of meme about it and get it spread virally. He'd then arrange for someone to ask him about it, and brush it off with something like "Look, I brought it up at my speech because I was blown away by the gesture, but to be honest, this is a personal thing between me and that veteran. I put that up in my office so that I can have a constant reminder of what's really important. If you have a problem with that you can take a hike."

this is excellent advice for the eventuality where ted cruz finds himself on the 7 1/2th floor of an office building.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

If he had a shred of common sense he would not have accepted the purple heart

It was a copy the veteran had made specifically to give to Trump. I think accepting it is fine, you just have to follow that up with "What an honor, I'm truly humbled by this gesture" and then spin that into taking better care of our veterans.

You don't go "Wow, I always wanted one of these! So much easier to get it this way!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

At least he'll still be billing their credit cards though.

Do you think he'll stop once the election's over?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I don't think anyone would actually care at all if he would just stop bringing it up constantly.

Like actual quote: "The media is dishonest for saying I threw the baby out. Yeah, I threw that baby out. It was noisy."

You can see "I need to save my image" and "I'm always right" clashing.

EDIT: Another choice quote: "Sometimes knowing a little is better than knowing too much."*

*for republicans

EDIT 2: At least there's another turd mine open while Trump's being boring: Trump staffers on twitter.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 6, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

But Trump is Trump, so I won't be surprised if he starts trying to collect as many Purple Hearts as possible.
Trump enjoys playing Purpleheart GO between campaign stops.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm legitimately starting to think he's going out of his way to throw this election. No one could make this many gaffes in a row on purpose. He can lose in a landslide and say the election was 'rigged'. His base will eat it up, so he will save face there--and he will avoid his 'dog catches car' moment.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
He's not throwing the election. The polls will narrow and it'll be a close race after the debates.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

He's not throwing the election. The polls will narrow and it'll be a close race after the debates.

In a universe where Trump could win a debate this is indeed possible.

This is an actual headline: Trump Calls Clinton 'Close to Unhinged,' Assures He's Pro-Baby

At this point how could this possibly end up a close race short of Hillary actually having strong ties to Lucifer

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Would someone explain to me what it means to be "rat hosed" in the political world? I keep seeing it.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Lol he doesn't need to win to tighten the polls.

I'm not saying he'll be elected. But it will be close.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Would someone explain to me what it means to be "rat hosed" in the political world? I keep seeing it.

It's just a colorful expression for being screwed out of something in a scummy way.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Somehow, wikipedia has an article on this: "Ratfucking is an American slang term for political sabotage or dirty tricks. It was first brought to public attention by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in their book All the President's Men."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
^^^
Basically means to be cheated in a very politically motivated, but also personal way.
The kind of thing where everyone hates you so much that they briefly unite for the pleasure of loving you out of something on a technicality.

Yinlock posted:

How could this possibly end up a close race short of Hillary actually having strong ties to Lucifer
Americans are just that stupid

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think he'll debate. He's going to skip them.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

LeeMajors posted:

I'm legitimately starting to think he's going out of his way to throw this election. No one could make this many gaffes in a row on purpose. He can lose in a landslide and say the election was 'rigged'. His base will eat it up, so he will save face there--and he will avoid his 'dog catches car' moment.

Peter Principle. He's been promoted to the level of his incompetence.

While he's not a particularly good businessman he's amazing at marketing. He mopped the floor with the republican candidates because the party was too weak and divided to call him out in an effective way. He dispensed with dog whistle racism and went with real racism which to a certain segment of the voting population must be absolutely refreshing even if it does drat your reputation.

Primary Trump kicked a lot of rear end, but candidate Trump is going to get kicked about when he's in the same room with Hillary. I'm waiting for her to start an emperor has no clothes moment when she demonstrates just how incompetent he is.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Evil Fluffy posted:

One of the nice side-effects of this is that when he first entered the race he caused damage to his brand due to his racism and toxicity. If/when he gets blown away in a landslide come November it might maybe, just maybe, be enough to cause the gold leaf to fall off the Trump-branded turd and ruin him for good.

Sadly the rest of us still have to live with the people that constitute his base and their fired up ideological views

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

At this point how could this possibly end up a close race short of Hillary actually having strong ties to Lucifer

Lucifer is known to be a man of wealth and taste, which puts him two up on Trump.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

He can probably be lured into one because he'll honestly think he can win, because he's a narcissist and a complete idiot.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Yinlock posted:

Like actual quote: "The media is dishonest for saying I threw the baby out. Yeah, I threw that baby out. It was noisy."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3TptsK9hlQ&t=69s

"I would never throw a baby out just like it was something to do. I got more sense than that. Yeah, I remember throwing that baby out."

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 6, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

He won't skip them because he honestly believes he is a smart and good speaker and honestly believes that his arguments in fact do own Clinton hard.

Trump will debate because in Trump's eyes he can do nothing but win. The debates will be his chance to take down Clinton and he will jump at it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

Peter Principle. He's been promoted to the level of his incompetence.

While he's not a particularly good businessman he's amazing at marketing. He mopped the floor with the republican candidates because the party was too weak and divided to call him out in an effective way. He dispensed with dog whistle racism and went with real racism which to a certain segment of the voting population must be absolutely refreshing even if it does drat your reputation.

Primary Trump kicked a lot of rear end, but candidate Trump is going to get kicked about when he's in the same room with Hillary. I'm waiting for her to start an emperor has no clothes moment when she demonstrates just how incompetent he is.

This is a good point, Primary Trump only had to deal with Republican voters who have been softened up by decades of Fox News and must have been a goldmine of easy pickings for a con-man. Then he moves into the Actual Election phase where things like "facts" actually matter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also if this was TV instead of politics, The Trump Campaign would totally be getting renewed and would be considered a breakout success.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Trabisnikof posted:

He won't skip them because he honestly believes he is a smart and good speaker and honestly believes that his arguments in fact do own Clinton hard.

Trump will debate because in Trump's eyes he can do nothing but win. The debates will be his chance to take down Clinton and he will jump at it.

I'm like 90% sure he's gonna do the first debate, get his rear end handed to him, and then skip the rest insisting that the moderators are biased against him.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm still pushing for the Paul Manafort Reality TV Show. Just a half-drunk man trying to deal with Trump's bullshit. The tense music swells as he watches Trump clothesline a baby seal and slowly reaches for the booze.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Lone Badger posted:

Lucifer is known to be a man of wealth and taste, which puts him two up on Trump.

Trump's just a poor boy, he needs no sympathy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In a movie, Trump would walk out post-debate with a hot mic and we would hear him say "I nailed it. I mean, look, I am great. Just amazing. And those people voting for me are dumb. D-U-M-B dumb. I could sell them poo poo and they would LOVE it. I am going to make SO MUCH MONEY"

And then everyone would get mad and his toupee would fly off.

In real life, people would be like "yeah he tells it like it is everyone else voting for him is dumb but not me!"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Republican nominee for President has spent an entire week of his campaign feuding with a baby. A literal, not figurative, infant.

It may not seem like it but - and this is important - this is what is actually happening.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jackson Taus posted:

You guys realize this is gonna flip back around right? There's no way Trump can keep flailing like this for the next three months. Eventually folks will get tired of him rehashing his previous comments, or Hillary will [whatever the female equivalent of stepping on one's own dick is], or Manafort will roofie him for three days straight during the Olympics, and suddenly a poll will come out where he's down by 3-4 instead of 7-8, and everyone will be talking about how he's right back in the race.

Here's the thing: it doesn't matter.

The conventional wisdom says that, in a generic, spherical presidential race, there's a sort of natural ground state of popularity for each candidate and that a candidates words and actions can only move their popularity up or down so many percentage points, and only for so long. Post-Republican Realignment, the nation is simply too locked in to partisan politics to swing the needle either way very much. Traditionally in modern politics candidates and the 2 parties that back them have been close enough in popularity that any given race can be spun as a theoretically winnable horse-race, depending on how this or that turns out; Obama was always more popular than Romney, but it was just theoretically possible that if Obama had flubbed the other two debates and there had been a terrorist attack or if Romney's ground game had actually existed, we could be looking at President Mormon. The two candidates' ground state popularities were close enough that their actions always mattered.

So all we were waiting for in Trump v. Clinton race's natural equilibrium was; it's a number that's impossible to gauge without months of polling, and it doesn't usually settle out until a week or two after both national conventions. We still don't know precisely what the campaign's natural equilibrium was, but assuming a normal, temporary 2-4 point convention bounce, then today's current polling indicates a natural race equilibrium of Clinton +4-6. Which, in modern political terms, is a crazy pants bad number for Trump. That was better than Obama's largest aggregate lead on Romney, for reference.

It's 2016, so who knows what the gently caress will eventually happen, but if any shred of modern political theory still holds true, you can stick a fork in Donald Trump; even if he shuts the gently caress up from now until the end of the campaign and never makes another gaffe, and the polls revert to their natural mean, he's still only looking at an Obama/McCain-style loss, instead of a Bush/Dukakis-style loss.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

CelestialScribe posted:

Holy gently caress, CelestialScribe is saying Trump might lose. Pack it in Trump, you've lost.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CelestialScribe posted:

You've come so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Lone Badger posted:

Do you think he'll stop once the election's over?

poo poo no. I fully expect Trump jr to run for something and for it to turn out he funneling the money from years of continuously billing people's cards into his campaign.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Gyges posted:

poo poo no. I fully expect Trump jr to run for something and for it to turn out he funneling the money from years of continuously billing people's cards into his campaign.

There's been rumors one of his sons is going to run for mayor, so there's that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Somehow there are still 94 days until the election

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Trabisnikof posted:

Also if this was TV instead of politics, The Trump Campaign would totally be getting renewed and would be considered a breakout success.

No, it'd be on the chopping block because the demographics are just terrible.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I honestly think there is a risk of the GOP running a coup. They are entirely willing to redistrict viciously to their advantage, this may be their last chance ever at the executive position, as much as it would be filled with a nigh uncontrollable idiot, I am worried about absolutely any stupid evil trick they might decide to pull.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.rappler.com/nation/142109-duterte-us-ambassador-goldberg-buwisit

quote:

CAPIZ, Philippines – The notoriously frank President Rodrigo Duterte had something to say about United States Ambassador Philip Goldberg on Friday, August 5.

Narrating the recent meeting he had with US Secretary of State John Kerry, Duterte transitioned into telling his audience of soldiers in Camp Lapu-Lapu in Cebu City about his dislike for Goldberg.

"Kausap namin si Kerry. Okay naman siya kasi nag-away kami ng ambassador niya, 'yung ambassador, 'yung bakla. Putangina buwisit ako diyan," said a visibly irritated Duterte.

(We were talking to Kerry. He's okay but I had an argument with their ambassador, that homosexual. Son of bitch, he really annoys me.)

The Philippine president has obviously not gotten over Goldberg's reaction to his controverial rape remark that was among the lowest points of his 2016 presidential campaign.

"Makikisali doon sa eleksyon eh (Interfering in elections), giving statements here and there. You’re not supposed to do that," said Duterte.

In a television interview amidst national uproar about Duterte's remark, Goldberg had said, “statements by anyone, anywhere that either degrade women or trivialize issues so serious as rape or murder are not ones that we condone.”

A vexed Duterte slammed Goldberg for interfering in the national elections, even advising him to "shut up."

Duterte then continued with his narration of his meeting with Kerry. By the end of the courtesy call, Kerry had promised to give the Philippine government $32 million for law enforcement.

Duterte joked that it seems insulting Americans is one way to get money from them.

"Iniwanan pa kami ni si Delfin [Lorenzana] ng $[32] million. Okay ito ah. Bastusin natin ulit para mag-areglo itong buwang na ito. Pera pala ito, pera-pera lang," said a chuckling Duterte.

(He left me and Delfin Lorenzana with $32 million. This is great. Let's insult them again so these fools try to make amends again. They're just about money.)

While Duterte referred to Goldberg as a "bakla" as if to insult him, this is not the first time he used the term in a derogatory way.

During the 2016 campaign season, Duterte used the term "bayot" which also means "gay" in Bisaya to denote weakness in critics who don't believe he can suppress crime and drugs in 3 to 6 months.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Somehow there are still 94 days until the election

Balloon Boy? Wait was that the dad that turned out to be a loving liar?

edit: yep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_boy_hoax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The Republican nominee for President has spent an entire week of his campaign feuding with a baby. A literal, not figurative, infant.

It may not seem like it but - and this is important - this is what is actually happening.
Not just that, but he appears to have lost the argument.

• Locked thread