Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

K. Waste posted:

No. Initially Ayer and WB announced that the film as written was striking for an R-rating, coinciding with the success of Deadpool as well as the already extant press that the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman would be R-rated. As it turns out, the cut of the film submitted to the MPAA received a straight PG-13. Despite rumors to the effect that this was yet another case of a toned-down theatrical cut in anticipation of a harder home video release, this is the film we got.

Source? I don't think it was ever intended as anything but a PG-13 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Mister Bates posted:

It somehow manages to feel too short and too long at the same time - the entire film is rushed and shallow and chaotic but it still drags on for loving ages.

Yes, absolutely yes. All the individual scenes are waaaay too abrupt or short, but there's so loving many of them that the film is too long. You could probably make a really stellar half-hour movie out of it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slim Killington posted:

You could probably make a really stellar half-hour movie out of it.

Most people call that a TV show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WampaLord posted:

Most people call that a TV show.

Yes, and that would be way better. Since it's an ensemble cast with varied and potentially complex back stories, who struggled to get any relevant screen time over the course of a 2-hour movie.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Yeah this was a load. The first 30 minutes were ok, when the backstories were being set up, except that Batman's appearances were really underwhelming, and once they did Harley's, Deadshot's and Enchantress', they basically said "and the rest!" and moved on.

Basically everything the movie tries to do is unearned. The team coming together, even going so far as to refer to each other as family, came out of nowhere. Deadshot's turn towards heroism happens because Marine Corps frat guy calls him a pussy? OK. The 'reveal' that the asset they were trying to secure was actually Waller because she didn't leave in time? Lol.

Will Smith got some laughs, and I felt bad for Margot Robbie because her Harley was pretty good, but all her jokes fell flat. Leto's Joker actually would've been fine if he wasn't Joker, just a flashy gangbanger who likes to hit his girlfriend. I didn't believe at all that this Joker stood toe to toe with Batfleck, and dealt him such a blow that it made him hang up the cape.

Another thing was the timeline. If I understood it correctly, the scenes of Batman apprehending Harley and Deadshot happened after BvS, because Superman's death is what spurned Waller to start rounding them up. Which means they were locked up in Gitmo for like, 4 months? It would have worked much better if those flashbacks happened back in Batman's heyday (Harley getting pinched even inspiring Joker to take revenge by killing Robin) and the criminals being locked up for years and years. Again, another unearned, rushed premise.

And yeah, Diablo and Croc were pretty racist stereotypes when they weren't being boring, and Boomerang was just nonsense. I laughed when he, after scurrying out of the bar with an armful of beers, just randomly rejoins the team like 5 minutes later with 0 explanation.

I'm pretty easy to please with superhero movies, but this one was only mildly better than Fantastic 4our.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Barry Convex posted:

Source? I don't think it was ever intended as anything but a PG-13 film.

Yeah, I think I was just remembering a previous bit of news wrong, but looks like you're right and they were going for PG-13 right out of the gate.

That said, there was a lot of internet-press that just ran with the baseless speculation that an R-rated extended/"original" cut was forthcoming, but Ayer's put that baby to rest. The amount of deleted material apparently comes out to about 10 minutes, a far cry from Beavis's 30.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Terrible Horse posted:

Another thing was the timeline. If I understood it correctly, the scenes of Batman apprehending Harley and Deadshot happened after BvS, because Superman's death is what spurned Waller to start rounding them up. Which means they were locked up in Gitmo for like, 4 months? It would have worked much better if those flashbacks happened back in Batman's heyday (Harley getting pinched even inspiring Joker to take revenge by killing Robin) and the criminals being locked up for years and years. Again, another unearned, rushed premise.

I thought this was the case. I thought Batman apprehended them before BvS, but that Waller decided to *use* them because Superman was dead. Maybe I'm wrong. In whatever case, those scenes were real goddamn awkward.

Terrible Horse posted:

And yeah, Diablo and Croc were pretty racist stereotypes when they weren't being boring

Ugh. "Why don't we go upstairs and kick it?" There was some real, real rough dialogue there. I think 3 or 4 different people call Diablo "ese."

They barely even use Killer Croc, though. I don't know why he was even on the team, and he got a whole stylized intro. If you've already decided to include a giant crocodile-man for the duration of the story, maybe he should've had more to do than deliver a few one-liners.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Xealot posted:

They barely even use Killer Croc, though. I don't know why he was even on the team, and he got a whole stylized intro. If you've already decided to include a giant crocodile-man for the duration of the story, maybe he should've had more to do than deliver a few one-liners.

He also swam slightly faster than some Navy SEALs for a few seconds. I also couldn't understand what the gently caress he was saying, and he still managed to sound racist/stupid. "Not me shorty, I'm beautiful" Jesus christ.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Terrible Horse posted:

He also swam slightly faster than some Navy SEALs for a few seconds. I also couldn't understand what the gently caress he was saying, and he still managed to sound racist/stupid. "Not me shorty, I'm beautiful" Jesus christ.

I thought Croc never spoke at all because that was a creative choice, but when he did I wished he didn't.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

I thought Croc never spoke at all because that was a creative choice, but when he did I wished he didn't.

I just learned by reading a review of this movie (again, couldn't understand him) that what Croc asks for as a reward is fuckin BET in his cell. I don't think even actual black people watch BET

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Terrible Horse posted:

I just learned by reading a review of this movie (again, couldn't understand him) that what Croc asks for as a reward is fuckin BET in his cell. I don't think even actual black people watch BET

How would he even know the concept of TVs if he's been living down the sewers for the rest of his loving life?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I used to watch BET after school because they showed rap videos on Rap City Tha Bassment so I could write down the ones I liked to buy at Sam Goody later. Maybe he doesn't know they cancelled 106th and Park.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 6, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I still can't understand, if you're assembling of super bad asses to do something the government can't do alone, what the gently caress you need Harley and Boomerang for?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Xealot posted:

Chekhov's Crocodile Guy

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Croc's head looked too big. I can understand why they had him in a hoodie most of the movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked Diablo more than I thought he would. Enchantress doing an awkward shuffle-dance every time she was on screen during the energy channeling ceremony was unintentionally funny. Leto's Joker was better than I expected. And I liked that John Ostrander got a shout-out in the name of the building. Other than that, the movie was a dragging mess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How much is Joker in this movie anyway?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

How much is Joker in this movie anyway?

About 10 minutes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm wondering what I got out of this movie that other people didn't, 'cause I was laughing and was generally invested the whole time and came out pretty satisfied except for the six bucks I wasted on terrible movie theater popcorn.

Plot was whatever. I never really felt like there were big stakes (I guess 'cause if there was, Batman and Wondy would be there), but I still had a lot of fun.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

VJeff posted:

Plot was whatever. I never really felt like there were big stakes (I guess 'cause if there was, Batman and Wondy would be there), but I still had a lot of fun.

How did it look, cinematography-wise?

I already know it's not as good as Beavis, I'm just askin' if it's at least better than Sabotage.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

VJeff posted:

I'm wondering what I got out of this movie that other people didn't, 'cause I was laughing and was generally invested the whole time and came out pretty satisfied except for the six bucks I wasted on terrible movie theater popcorn.

I think most people didn't like it because it just didn't look that cool. Even if you didn't enjoy MoS or BvS (I did), you can still enjoy watching Superman and Batman doing their thing. Besides Diablo turning into a flaming scarecrow god, no one in this movie had a cool "power" or skillset beyond shooting or hitting poo poo.

K. Waste posted:

I guess no complaints? But I never once thought "this is a cool shot"

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
I dunno seemed like a fairly good comic book action flick to me. Not great mind you but decent maybe expectations where to high for some.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The scenes where they went "Hey, Deadshot's really, really, really good with guns, you guys." were done pretty well, I thought. The one with him on top of the car was neat.

I did want Katana to do more cool sword poo poo. One of my gripes is that I felt she was reeeeaaal underutilized.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm really surprised you're still doing this. I don't think has caught on at all and only makes discussion disjointed. I thought you generally liked the movie, but is this some sort of passive aggressive protest? Is Beavis your version of 0bummer?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/suicide-squad-jared-leto-joker-scenes-cut-deleted-1201831587/

Jared Leto re: his scenes being cut:

quote:

“Were there any that didn’t get cut? I’m asking you, were there any that didn’t get cut? There were so many scenes that got cut from the movie, I couldn’t even start,” he said. “If I die anytime soon, it’s probably likely that it’ll surface somewhere. That’s the good news about the death of an actor is all that stuff seems to come out.”

This is disgusting.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Gonna goon out real hard over this movie :goonsay:

I think one of the biggest problems with this movie was the soundtrack. I get that they are trying to copy the GotG formula, but there was a reason that movie had its retro soundtrack. It fit into the actual theme of the movie. Starlord had only one cassette left and we are to assume we are listening to what is on it. This movie just has all kinds of dadrock thrown in there for no reason at all. It just came off INCREDIBLY lame. Sympathy for the Devil comes on at such it point you'd think it was a joke, but no someone thought it was cool. I was halfway expecting to hear Walkin' on Sunshine at one point, the choice in music was getting that lame.

Leto's Joker really felt like a nothing. Not someone I'd care to see in future movies. Him doing Jim Carrey playing Al Pacino doesn't interest me.

The other big problem is the amount of flashbacks. They are really trying to make up for not having built a universe. GotG was able to build a universe and have us learn and care about the characters organically, while this film just throws scenes from the past at us and expects us to care. They literally throw in the katana lady at the very last second, that goes right into a flashback of who can give a gently caress.

2/5, a hangover movie at best.

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 6, 2016

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

VJeff posted:

The scenes where they went "Hey, Deadshot's really, really, really good with guns, you guys." were done pretty well, I thought. The one with him on top of the car was neat.

I did want Katana to do more cool sword poo poo. One of my gripes is that I felt she was reeeeaaal underutilized.

Yeah, the movie did have a few scenes that were pretty good in a vacuum, and the bit where Deadshot just wigs out and massacres dozens of dudes was pretty cool.

This movie honestly feels like it was written as a TV series, but somebody high up decided they wanted a Marvel-killer big blockbuster movie, and so they took a TV show pitch and half-assedly turned it into a feature film. I think it would have worked a hell of a lot better on the small screen.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Violator posted:

I'm really surprised you're still doing this. I don't think has caught on at all and only makes discussion disjointed. I thought you generally liked the movie, but is this some sort of passive aggressive protest? Is Beavis your version of 0bummer?

It's not passive-aggressive at all - I legitimately think Beavis is an endearing nickname for the film.

The actual act of passive-aggression is treating such a clever joke transliterating the abbreviation BvS to "Beavis" as an accurate commentary on the film's qualities. Batman v Superman is goofy bullshit and proud of it. It's like getting upset at a bully in middle school who says "Spongebob is for fags." There's nothing passive about saying "I know, that's great."

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

K. Waste posted:

Not bad, just kind of thoughtless. Functional and nothing else, except that when a particular shot does call for flashiness it's just done with CG. It also has the "too loving dark because we just had to shoot it in 3D" problem.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Slim Killington posted:

Not bad, just kind of thoughtless. Functional and nothing else, except that when a particular shot does call for flashiness it's just done with CG. It also has the "too loving dark because we just had to shoot it in 3D" problem.

Actually, it was just post-converted to 3D, and was shot on Kodak film. So far WB's been pretty ace about shooting on film. Wonder Woman looks gorgeous.

The rest is duly noted.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

It's not passive-aggressive at all - I legitimately think Beavis is an endearing nickname for the film.

The actual act of passive-aggression is treating such a clever joke transliterating the abbreviation BvS to "Beavis" as an accurate commentary on the film's qualities. Batman v Superman is goofy bullshit and proud of it. It's like getting upset at a bully in middle school who says "Spongebob is for fags." There's nothing passive about saying "I know, that's great."

Zack Snyder wanted to make BvS look cool and edgy as gently caress but it ended up being really boring and just unpleasing to watch, maybe the Ultimate Edition clears up a couple of loose ends but not by a long shot.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDeiMD9a7w

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Junior Jr. posted:

Zack Snyder wanted to make BvS look cool and edgy as gently caress but it ended up being really boring and just unpleasing to watch, maybe the Ultimate Edition clears up a couple of loose ends but not by a long shot.

Nah, Batman v Superman was really good. I definitely enjoyed the Ultimate Edition more, but it has its own problem of explaining away all the poo poo that actually made the theatrical cut disturbingly interesting. Thankfully, it changes that out for some equally awesome stuff:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

A little more gore under the fangs.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6oJTB4TpA

gently caress everything.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The consistent framework of the soundtrack is that the characters of the film have terrible taste in music, and it's kind of endearing. Like, they couldn't even be assed to illegally download the live version (which has the foresight to use Mercury's back-up vocals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1t4jVmv7E

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

K. Waste posted:

Actually, it was just post-converted to 3D, and was shot on Kodak film. So far WB's been pretty ace about shooting on film. Wonder Woman looks gorgeous.

Jeez, really? The contrast was so poor in this film I would never have believed a colorist did that on purpose. Yikes. Maybe he overheard a bunch of people talking about how dark the movie's gonna be and was like, "welp, better do my part."

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

This is disgusting.

Uh..why?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't this this movie is as bad as people made it out to be.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

A little more gore under the fangs.

I love this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

BvS looked awesome, its problems were its script, structuring and character motivations

• Locked thread