Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All my cooking stuff is still in boxes, so I'm thinking of making pot au feu tomorrow or Thursday since all I need is my slow cooker and a knife. It's basically gonna be chuck or brisket, whole skinny carrots, quartered onions, and some celery. Feels overly simplistic, but it's a great post-move dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Grand Fromage posted:

So I tried to make pho-like soup for the first time. I used duck instead of beef because a pile of beef bits where I live is way outside my budget. I also used: onion, garlic, ginger, generic red chili peppers, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds, black pepper, salt, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, lemon juice, a little vinegar, a little sugar, lemongrass, shallots. That was for the broth, I also added Thai basil when I assembled the bowl of soup. It did not taste like pho and didn't even have like a generic Southeast Asian-ness. I have no idea what happened, any advice? It tastes fine but isn't what I wanted. All the spices were whole since that's how I've seen it done before.

This is from awhile back but just catching up with this thread. Pho is about balance. I usually add the spices in two batches, once at the beginning and again in the last hour because I do find most of those aromatics get lost in the long simmer. I still add to the beginning so that some of it goes into the meat I simmer in the broth.

Do not add into your broth: chile peppers, soy sauce, lime juice, lemon juice, vinegar, lemongrass

None of the above belong in pho broth and probably are overtaking some of your spice flavorings. Chile peppers and lime juice can go into your bowl just before eating to brighten up flavors, but they don't do well simmered for that long. Some onion soaked in vinegar can be good as a condiment. Everything else in that list just doesn't go in pho period.

Here is my write-up: http://goonswithspoons.com/Beef_Noodle_Soup_-_Pho_(Ph%E1%BB%9F_b%C3%B2)

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

A silly question, but if I have my heart set on making bolognese sauce for a potluck and don't have a pot+flame to make pasta to go with it, what's another foodstuff that can stay in a tupperware for a while and not be overwhelmed by bolognese?

You are in an odd circumstance being able to make bolognese but not pasta.

If you have an oven you could try spaghetti squash, that will keep for a while after cooked. If you don't have an oven, I don't think anyone would object to a good slice of ciabatta -- you can grab that at any bakery.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I bought some dried lentils and split peas recently, thinking "hey I can replace rice or pasta with these" but then I was googling online and every loving recipe I found was either for soup or some disgusting pap that Pinterest types say is "omg so good," but it just looks disgusting.

Can someone advise me on a good way to prepare these so they can basically take the place of starches in my meal? I don't want mush, I want them to stay individual and distinct like well-made rice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Keshik posted:

I bought some dried lentils and split peas recently, thinking "hey I can replace rice or pasta with these" but then I was googling online and every loving recipe I found was either for soup or some disgusting pap that Pinterest types say is "omg so good," but it just looks disgusting.

Can someone advise me on a good way to prepare these so they can basically take the place of starches in my meal? I don't want mush, I want them to stay individual and distinct like well-made rice.

Not all lentils will stay distinct, and split peas turn into mush when you cook them properly, that's just how they work. What kind of lentils did you buy?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've been enjoying curry lately, but I want to switch things up. What else is easy, cheap, can be bulked out with rice or potatoes, and doesn't involve beans? My wife is apparently allergic to beans, which sucks. I bought kidney beans in bulk a while ago, but now I barely ever use them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've been enjoying curry lately, but I want to switch things up. What else is easy, cheap, can be bulked out with rice or potatoes, and doesn't involve beans? My wife is apparently allergic to beans, which sucks. I bought kidney beans in bulk a while ago, but now I barely ever use them.

Stews of various kinds. Chicken and mushroom cream stew with lots of root vegetables, beef stew or pot roast using a cut like chuck, i.e. lots of fat and connective tissue, Chicken Adobo with lots of sliced ginger.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Not all lentils will stay distinct, and split peas turn into mush when you cook them properly, that's just how they work. What kind of lentils did you buy?

I got these, and these.

What type of lentil should I be getting if I want the consistency of rice?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Keshik posted:

Tarka Dhal does indeed look gross, but it genuinely does taste good, and this is from some who doesn't really like the flavour of beans or lentils as well.

I made this recipe a few weeks back and really enjoyed it:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/lentils-and-basic-tarka-dhal-recipe/#97T8SHrBrdWT8SEy.97

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 4, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Keshik posted:

I got these, and these.

If you want a starch that is identical to rise in consistency and appearance, have you considered rice?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Waci posted:

If you want a starch that is identical to rise in consistency and appearance, have you considered rice?

Keshik posted:

Hmmmmm...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have heard wheat berries make a good rice replacement. Still starch but low glycemic index and more fiber and stuff.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Barley makes a great rice substitute. Very hearty.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah dude, those lentils and peas are not supposed to stay together and they never will unless you severely undercook them. You could try soaking them in water overnight and then heating them in fresh water just until it comes to a boil, that might work. But really, go with some of the alternative grains that people have already recommended. My favorites are barley and quinoa.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Stews of various kinds. Chicken and mushroom cream stew with lots of root vegetables, beef stew or pot roast using a cut like chuck, i.e. lots of fat and connective tissue, Chicken Adobo with lots of sliced ginger.

Maybe I'll try Adobo again. I didn't like the last one I made off of the GWS wiki, but my mom used to live in the Philippines, and I liked hers growing up. I'm sure she still has her recipe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Keshik posted:

I got these, and these.

The only lentils that stay super-distinct are de Puy (dark green) and whole, unskinned urad dal (black). You can also try farro or kasha - I have a particular weakness for kasha. It's ultra-fluffy, moreso than rice, but the flavor's amazing and it's pretty easy to cook, just beat one egg per cup of uncooked kasha, mix it in, briefly saute, and boil/steam like rice. You can skip the egg stuff but it'll end up mushier.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Puy lentils with crispy haloumi cubes are awesome.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would stir-fries work for this? You can use whatever meat you can get cheap and stretch it since it's sliced thin. You can supplement the protein with peanuts, nuts, and egg. You can use it with fresh or frozen vegetables of different kinds. And then you just dump it over rice in whatever concentration you want. It's one of those things that once you get the technique down you can hammer out a bunch of variations out of whatever you have, and it reheats well.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah dude, those lentils and peas are not supposed to stay together and they never will unless you severely undercook them. You could try soaking them in water overnight and then heating them in fresh water just until it comes to a boil, that might work. But really, go with some of the alternative grains that people have already recommended. My favorites are barley and quinoa.

I do make quinoa, but lentils are really crazy high in fiber and I don't get nearly enough fiber- 38 loving grams is like, holy poo poo how?!

I'l give Gerblyn's recipe a shot. I love Indian, so it might help to make an Indian dish.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Keshik posted:

I got these, and these.

Those diana lentils you should be able to make without falling apart without undercooking them. Give them a good wash, then put them on the stove with a bit of salt, a bay leaf, and enough water to come an inch above the lentils. You want this at barely a simmer. Should take 20-30 minutes, but check on them after 20 and see how it's going. They go from 'still a bit of bite' to 'perfectly tender' to mush pretty quick, so keep an eye on them especially the first time you're doing it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a proper name for the Asian kind of breakfast where you basically just crack an egg into freshly cooked rice, maybe add some sesame seeds to it for texture? I found an article about it awhile ago, that I've now lost, but it never had a name for it.

Just wondering cause I've eaten this like 8 times in the past week cause it's so drat good.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a proper name for the Asian kind of breakfast where you basically just crack an egg into freshly cooked rice, maybe add some sesame seeds to it for texture? I found an article about it awhile ago, that I've now lost, but it never had a name for it.

Was it this one?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hah actually completely different article, but that's perfect. Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking for a good lightish Italian vegetable side dish. I was going to make ribollita but I think it's too heavy with the other things I'm doing. Difficulty: I do not have access to good fresh tomatoes or mozzarella so basics like caprese are out. If it can be made the day before and reheated that would be a big plus since I have limited burners/space. Of the veggies I associate with Italy, eggplant is the easiest for me to get my hands on but they're the thin Asian ones so they'd be tough to do something like a stuffed eggplant with.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Eggplant Parmigiana where you bake it or grill it instead of frying it? And more parmesan than breadcrumbs? I don't really know how that would taste to be honest, we don't cook with eggplants too often.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't have a ton of Parmesan left. :smith: I smuggled it into the country and rationed it well! I will be using the oven anyway for a reverse seared steak so a baked thing would be good. I may be overthinking and something real simple like eggplant with olive oil and lemon might be best.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Will this refrigerator pickles recipe from the wiki: http://goonswithspoons.com/Refrigerator_Pickles work with spears of homegrown garden pickles? I have a couple big boys I want to pickle but have never tried it myself.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't have a ton of Parmesan left. :smith: I smuggled it into the country and rationed it well! I will be using the oven anyway for a reverse seared steak so a baked thing would be good. I may be overthinking and something real simple like eggplant with olive oil and lemon might be best.

Dude, I think you need to give up and cook whatever the locals cook. :smith:

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I have fresh Serrano peppers growing on my roof that have just ripened to red. And it's fresh tomato season. How do I make some good pico de gallo? Important that it not be drowned in tomato water.

Salt tomatoes and drain?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Briefly blanch tomatoes in boiling water, peel, cube and drain. Mix in chopped onions, cilantro and jalapeno/serranos/whatever. Stir in some lime juice. Done.

I was actually taught to do this in a blender, but that definitely makes for some wet, runny salsa.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I have fresh Serrano peppers growing on my roof that have just ripened to red. And it's fresh tomato season. How do I make some good pico de gallo? Important that it not be drowned in tomato water.

Salt tomatoes and drain?

Better than pico, which is a sub standard salsa, you should make salsa ranchera.

Place your ripe tomatoes and chiles on a dry skillet (cast iron is best) over medium heat, along with some big wedges of onion and whole gloves of garlic. Let these things all get blackened (or browned, in the case of the garlic - don't let the garlic get black) in a few places all around, then toss in a blender with some cilantro, salt, and lime juice if your other things aren't acidic enough. Blitz well and enjoy.

It's the toasting of the vegetables here that really brings a great flavor to this. It is the pro est salsa.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm looking for a good lightish Italian vegetable side dish. I was going to make ribollita but I think it's too heavy with the other things I'm doing. Difficulty: I do not have access to good fresh tomatoes or mozzarella so basics like caprese are out. If it can be made the day before and reheated that would be a big plus since I have limited burners/space. Of the veggies I associate with Italy, eggplant is the easiest for me to get my hands on but they're the thin Asian ones so they'd be tough to do something like a stuffed eggplant with.

Sauté, grill or broil broccoli/rabe with slivered garlic, chile flakes, lemon and olive oil. Also works for spinach, kale, chard, etc.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Could you do something with chopped or julienned zucchini maybe? Bruschetta Napoletana works too, just diced tomato, olive oil, garlic, and basil.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&pagenumber=857&perpage=40#post461985607

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 6, 2016

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Pepper chat! I am growing cayennes, ghost peppers and Carolina reapers this summer. I plan to dry the cayennes and turn them into chili powder, but I really have no idea what to do with the ghost/reapers. They are so hot, the only real application I can think of is hot sauce. Any ideas?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I tried to figure out whether you can freeze Thai curry and not have it become terrible, but it's evidently not a question a lot of people have wondered.

I'm okay with the vegetables getting a bit mushy. I'm mostly wondering if something freakish would happen to the coconut milk/oil & curry paste broth. (There is no rice to be concerned with in this equation).

(And a followup question: would it make sense to just make the broth and cook meat with it, freeze it in tupperware with some space on top, and then fill the rest of the space with flash-frozen vegetables for an easy frozen meal that could be reheated on the stovetop?)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Dude, I think you need to give up and cook whatever the locals cook. :smith:

Nah the problem right now is cooking date comes before payday. If you're willing to spend you can get literally anything online. Except good fresh tomatoes, it's just supermarket ones forever.

I was looking at broccoli rabe things, do you think gai lan would work as a substitute for rabe?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FaradayCage posted:

I tried to figure out whether you can freeze Thai curry and not have it become terrible, but it's evidently not a question a lot of people have wondered.

I'm okay with the vegetables getting a bit mushy. I'm mostly wondering if something freakish would happen to the coconut milk/oil & curry paste broth. (There is no rice to be concerned with in this equation).

(And a followup question: would it make sense to just make the broth and cook meat with it, freeze it in tupperware with some space on top, and then fill the rest of the space with flash-frozen vegetables for an easy frozen meal that could be reheated on the stovetop?)

I've frozen Thai curry and reheated it and it was absolutely fine. It wasn't frozen for long, but I can't see why it would go bad

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I had a dairy question. For a few weekends now I've been making buttermilk pancakes on the weekend. Instead of buying buttermilk I've made it from mixing milk and vinegar. The first time I did it I seem to remember that the milk did curdle as I expected, but the last two times the milk looked entirely liquid with no curdling. The only difference I can think of is that the first time I mixed 1 tbsp white vinegar plus enough milk to complete a cup (so 15 tbsp milk). Whilst the last two times I did 1 tbsp white vinegar plus one cup of milk. Is the extra tbsp of milk enough to affect the curdling?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Curdling happens at a certain pH, so yes having too little acid (vinegar) will absolutely affect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Interesting. I had assumed that at most it would just curdle some of the milk, not stop it altogether. But yeah, given that the mix needs to sit for a while, it makes perfect sense that the overall pH is the factor. Thanks.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 6, 2016