Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

KittyEmpress posted:

A lot of DC Media feels like, for a long time, it has been embarrassed that the source material is comic books. The Arrow TV show,
They did boxing glove arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

howe_sam posted:

They did boxing glove arrow

Yeah, and in the Godzilla 98 film, he almost breathed fire for a second.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least Flash isn't that embarrassed to be a comic book tv show, and Supergirl seems to be getting there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Supergirl seems to be getting there.

I've seen their Red Tornado, they should be embarrassed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just figured red tornado was some Justin hammer crap, is it a big deal in the comics?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

I just figured red tornado was some Justin hammer crap, is it a big deal in the comics?

Only time I've heard of him was Young Justice. One of four elemental robots, Red Torpedo, Red Volcano and Red Inferno being the others.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KittyEmpress posted:

A lot of DC Media feels like, for a long time, it has been embarrassed that the source material is comic books. The Arrow TV show, the whole Nolan bat series, Man of Steel + BvS, and now SS. It feels like a large amount of the companies think that if they are basing themselves off comics ,that's something embarrassing and bad for them, so they have to change it up.

That's an interesting point but I really don't see it. Nolan's trilogy, Man of Steel and Watchmen don't strike me as being directed or produced by someone that's embarrassed about comic books. I haven't seen Arrow or Flash though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Arrow is basically a CW sitcom with pretty white people first, and a superhero show an arguably-distant second.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not a matter of being ashamed of being based on a comic book. The reasons I didn't like MoS and BvS are first and foremost because they had massive story and character problems. Yes, the character problems did exist at least in part because there seemed to be a certain reluctance to portray Superman the way he normally is, as a living ideal, but that didn't alone make the movies bad, the same way the "so you talk to fish" line in the JL trailer is terrible and indicative of the same reluctance but also won't necessarily make that movie bad.

It's primarily a failure to present and properly dramatize strong arcs that resonate with viewers that sunk those movies, not that they didn't try hard enough to make it like the comics.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cara Delevingne Responds To ‘Suicide Squad’ Reviews, Says Critics Don’t Like Superhero Movies

She musta read that review that characterized her performance as "former career worst".

I mean, I get that actors are literally being paid to defend the film press junket time but "the critics just don't get it/aren't REAL fans" just makes you look like a petulant baby.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Cara Delevingne Responds To ‘Suicide Squad’ Reviews, Says Critics Don’t Like Superhero Movies

She musta read that review that characterized her performance as "former career worst".

I mean, I get that actors are literally being paid to defend the film press junket time but "the critics just don't get it/aren't REAL fans" just makes you look like a petulant baby.

Critics don't like Superhero movies, just ask Deadpool (84%) and Captain America Civil War(90%).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It seems to me, completely impersonally and analytically-speaking, that the more your film is actually like a superhero movie, the more that critics will like it. Would anyone watching this film actually consider these characters superheroes?

Also, does the Flash actually appear in costume in this film, zipping about?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BrianWilly posted:

Also, does the Flash actually appear in costume in this film, zipping about?

Yes.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What's the post credits scene? Anything hinting towards future plotlines?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What's the post credits scene? Anything hinting towards future plotlines?

From what I've heard:

It's Amanda Waller giving the Justice League's profiles to Bruce Wayne.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

I feel bad because she really has no choice. What is she supposed to say? "Yeah, it kinda blows, sorry!" Even a more measured response would just be to dodge around it.

drat, I'm going to see this in a couple hours and I'm trying to stay positive, but it's really not working.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
If he does show up, then does Flash get to interact with Boomerang at all? On that note, did they make Boomer fun or funny at all? Because that guy is pretty much the one thing I care about in that dumb movie. Just...Still not enough to go see it in theaters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

I feel bad because she really has no choice. What is she supposed to say? "Yeah, it kinda blows, sorry!"

I think that's what Dennis Miller did for Bordello of Blood.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm waiting for an interview with multiple cast members where Will Smith has an affleck moment

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Toxxupation posted:

Don't venture into the Batman V Superman thread then.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, and in the Godzilla 98 film, he almost breathed fire for a second.

Godzilla doesn't breathe fire. :spergin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Judgement posted:

If he does show up, then does Flash get to interact with Boomerang at all? On that note, did they make Boomer fun or funny at all? Because that guy is pretty much the one thing I care about in that dumb movie. Just...Still not enough to go see it in theaters.

Flash:
Flash says a line at him. It's a short clip of Boomerang getting caught after a bank robbery.

Boomerang is the comic relief guy. He has some of the better funny moments actually.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SonicRulez posted:

I feel bad because she really has no choice. What is she supposed to say? "Yeah, it kinda blows, sorry!" Even a more measured response would just be to dodge around it.

drat, I'm going to see this in a couple hours and I'm trying to stay positive, but it's really not working.

Something along the lines of "I respectfully disagree, I personally found the film totally engaging/I'm proud of my work/I think the work speaks for itself" works. Or it'd be a non-starter of a defense, because it's so empty and vague. As opposed to accusing film critics of not being superhero movie fans, which means that sites like ComicsAlliance get a nice juicy headline out of it while writing an article mocking the statement.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Judgement posted:

Boomerang has one scene where he uses his boomerang in a unique way. That's it. It is pretty cool though.

Croc, Boomerang, Slipknot, etc all have very little screen time. Each one has one scene for their "thing" and then disappears into the background. Croc has less than 10 lines from start to finish. The movie is about 85% Harley, Deadshot, and Flag after the intro.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Suicide Squad would have made a pretty fun video game. The first twenty minutes are almost like a tutorial, and player select screen, and the rest of the movie is just them working through generic baddies on their way to the main boss battle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

:( Yeah, this was pretty bad. That being said, if there's a sequel with Deadshot, Harley, and Diablo I'll go see it. Yes I know that's not really possible, but it's a comic book movie and you know weird Fire God and all. They were great and they were just in a terrible movie. The rest of the team is as nondescript as possible. And that's pretty hard when you're made up like a giant crocodile but they somehow did it. I mean Boomerang had some personality at least, but he's never really given a chance to do anything. I'm also not even sure if Joel Kinnaman was even awake during filming. After Doctor Doom in Fantastic Four (2015) this film has the worst villain in a modern comic film as well. Just loving awful. The story is terrible, the mission is stupid, and Enchantress is just the worst. The music is fine for the first part of the movie, but then it turns into basically an iPod on shuffle for the duration. I really came away liking the three characters mentioned above. Especially Diablo who I didn't really have much of any kind of expectation for. He was quite cool and and I dug his big moment later in the film. The exposition stuff to start the movie was my favorite part really. I'd really like to see more interaction between Deadshot and Batman.

As for the Joker, Leto was fine but he was barely in it. I guess all his crazy stuff got left on the cutting room floor because honestly he wasn't even that outrageous in the film.

So yeah a bad film but mostly because of story and not performances.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 6, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Viola Davis was good as Waller? That's what I'm getting from the reviews. That seemed like a perfect casting choice when I first heard it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Viola Davis was good as Waller? That's what I'm getting from the reviews. That seemed like a perfect casting choice when I first heard it.

I liked her performance. And she's really ruthless in the film, like really ruthless, I wasn't exactly a fan of how some of her stuff played out in the film. Rescuing her literally being the mission was really dumb.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The movie wasn't bad bad. It felt like one of those letters that are a bunch of letters/words cut and pasted from magazines.

Suicide Squad will be one of those movies you watch high/drunk on a Saturday night on DVD or streaming, and have a fun time with. It's not art, or a clinic in film making.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

was boomerangs dumb thing with pink unicorns one of those dumb post deadpool adds?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just got back from the movie. Aside from the awful continued over-sexualization of Harley and the non-stop (and oh, I do mean non-stop) use of licensed music, I enjoyed it. :shrug:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I liked the movie. It was uneven but fun. Like it was actually enjoyable, and I'm not getting the whole critics calling it a slog to watch thing. Smith was a standout but I'm biased towards all things Deadshot, even though they changed his character a bit. Also liked the comraderie shown, even though at times it didn't feel earned.
As I said though, the movie is a bit uneven, and seemed to be missing a second act somewhere so the first bit and third bit where mismatched.
Didn't think any performance was particularly bad either. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Dexie posted:

I just got back from the movie. Aside from the awful continued over-sexualization of Harley and the non-stop (and oh, I do mean non-stop) use of licensed music, I enjoyed it. :shrug:

It's like they saw Guardians of the Galaxy and licensed as much music as they could. Even a song Guardians already used.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Suicide Squad had a 65 million dollar Friday (counting Thursday), tracking it for a $138 million first weekend.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

She, like everyone, has a lot of lovely lines that are meant to be badass or cool but just fall flat.

She was good, but again like everyone just dragged down by a really bad script.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its no Guardians, but its no XMen either. I hate the flashbacks that were just poo poo we saw 20 min ago, cameras that let the US see stuff explode, and 'my daughter'. Music didnt really bother me.

I dont get the sexism thing. Seems like being too PC. If Margot Robbie is undressing, everyone is gonna look. EVERYONE. Maybe dont make her character sexy i get that, but it wasnt as bad as ppl are making it seem.

A girl kisses guys and puts a spell on them. Who cares? Its seems ridiculous to get mad about that.

The flashbacks though. Im upset about that, and is the reason I didnt like BvS. Mild pacing problems, not real bad imo.

C grade movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ButtWolf posted:

I dont get the sexism thing.

I think that's because you don't understand the concept entirely.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
YMS did a quickie review and included a few clips of the movie I hadn't seen before. If I had, I probably wouldn't have been as hopeful for this movie before the reviews came out. Yikes.

I didn't even know Harley was going to keep her accent; It never came across for me in the trailers, but in the clips, it's really broad and seems very forced. How consistent is it in the movie and how bad is it? It's like a lovely version of her Wolf of Wall Street accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ButtWolf posted:

I dont get the sexism thing. Seems like being too PC. If Margot Robbie is undressing, everyone is gonna look. EVERYONE. Maybe dont make her character sexy i get that, but it wasnt as bad as ppl are making it seem.

A girl kisses guys and puts a spell on them. Who cares? Its seems ridiculous to get mad about that.

Ahaha you're dumb as poo poo

• Locked thread