Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Angryboot posted:

Ninjette.org has a bunch of build threads and track prep stuff. Have you looked at those yet?

No I havent. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Can you guys recommend any online resources for track day related stuff? YouTube channels forums whatever. Bike build diary type stuff especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?FortyFourTeeth
http://forums.13x.com/index.php

What are you looking for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah, curious about what you're looking for here - I wouldn't trust most random resources on the Internet, if you want proof, just look at how many folks are building engines and doing sick full exhausts to not go any faster.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Z3n posted:

Yeah, curious about what you're looking for here - I wouldn't trust most random resources on the Internet, if you want proof, just look at how many folks are building engines and doing sick full exhausts to not go any faster.

Thanks for the links. I guess I'm looking for anything really, I am the type of person that really immerses himself in a new hobby, and I am trying to get myself as informed as possible about starting going to the track. I just watched a bunch of baronvongrumbles track vids today, they were sweet. Number wang.

Some cool threads journaling someone of a similar noobish experience level going to their first events/working on bikes/etc. would be ideal.

Anything on general bike prep or repair too. I read every page of z3ns various build threads for example, they're great.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Guess SA breaks Youtube user and playlist links.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Alright,
http://www.youtube.com/user/FortyFourTeeth
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS_vswM0nAdBg0fJhGK_T_q2aNeTK0PA2

I think what anyone will tell you about this is:
1. It's more expensive that you thought. By a lot. Especially if you end up not getting right up after you go down.
2. A well piloted Ninja 250 is quicker than most people can ride a liter bike.
3. Spend your money on trackdays and tires, not bike parts. If you do buy bike parts, buy suspension first, rearsets, clipons, race pads, and race fairings. Don't buy frame sliders.
4. There is a difference between tracks designed for cars and ones designed for bikes. Car tracks have more straights, more braking zones and feel like they lack flow on a bike.
5. Listen to your tires (or lack of 'noise'). Don't ignore it, back off and pit. Check your tire pressure. Eating poo poo because you ignored the tires feeling vague for a lap or two is dumb.
6. Ride the first session or two so your stuff is up to temp then head right over to your local suspension bro with $40. Best money you will spend.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 22, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Alright,

1. It's more expensive that you thought. By a lot. Especially if you end up not getting right up after you go down.
3. Spend your money on trackdays and tires, not bike parts. If you do buy bike parts, buy suspension first, rearsets, clipons, race pads, and race fairings. Don't buy frame sliders.
4. There is a difference between tracks designed for cars and ones designed for bikes. Car tracks have more straights, more braking zones and feel like they lack flow on a bike.
5. Listen to your tires (or lack of 'noise'). Don't ignore it, back off and pit. Check your tire pressure. Eating poo poo because you ignored the tires feeling vague for a lap or two is dumb.
6. Ride the first session or two so your stuff is up to temp then head right over to your local suspension bro with $40. Best money you will spend.

Bitchin :)

My local tracks are Grattan and Gingerman, if you are familiar with those. Not sure if they are car-centric tracks or not, Grattan seems very technical. The STG guys are also local, I buy poo poo from their retail store/warehouse all the time.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Grattan is one of the coolest tracks I've been to (besides Road America and Daytona, those will always be my top two), although I have only been there once, and that was the first year I was track riding, so I'd love to run it now that I've been racing for 8 years. Very challenging through, tons of elevation changes and off-camber turns. I'm not really a fan of Gingerman, but that's more of a personal opinion, it's a fine track. My biggest issue was the track was split laterally into thirds by two seams and that didn't play well with bikes, but they've since repaved the whole track and those aren't an issue anymore.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here, have another blog http://marcus.zarra.me/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ordered a hitch and trailer light harness for my VW GTI. Gonna buy a HF trailer, replace the wheel bearings with good ones from Amazon straight off, and set it up to carry two bikes. I'm done with the pickup truck thing.

Also, cot and small tent. No more sleeping in the bed of the truck. Always had to be drunk to do that.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 23, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

BlackMK4 posted:

Alright,

'suspension bro'

Is this, like, a guy who will make my poo poo even more better (on the street, too) that I can find on the track?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Why no frame sliders, the risk of them catching and tossing the bike? Money spent on proper bike setup by someone that knows wtf they're doing changes everything.

PaintVagrant posted:

My local tracks are Grattan and Gingerman, if you are familiar with those. Not sure if they are car-centric tracks or not, Grattan seems very technical. The STG guys are also local, I buy poo poo from their retail store/warehouse all the time.
Gingerman is a great track but I've never run it on two wheels (yet), with the repave the 'lanes' issue T-Square mentioned is much less severe.

BlackMK4 posted:

I ordered a hitch and trailer light harness for my VW GTI. Gonna buy a HF trailer, replace the wheel bearings with good ones from Amazon straight off, and set it up to carry two bikes. I'm done with the pickup truck thing.

Also, cot and small tent. No more sleeping in the bed of the truck. Always had to be drunk to do that.
Golf towing is the way to go, been doing it for years and will never use a truck for trips over an hour or two. A hammock camping setup is worth looking into and it's pretty easy to make hanging poles for the trailer.

Looks like our 4-wheel endurance racing team is on it's last season. Looks like a lot more 2-wheeled track time in my future.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

NitroSpazzz posted:

Golf towing is the way to go

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Anyone in here have an EZ-Up or equivalent? Debating buying one for all future track days or just splurge the $150 for a garage at COTA. I don't use tire warmers so that's a moot point.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
First track day! I took my CBR500R out on brand new Road Pilot 4s, as my stock tires were ready to go after 8k (probably still enough tread for commuting, but was a good excuse to buy some new ones). I'm sure new tires always feel significantly better, but holy poo poo it was like stepping into a pair of good work boots after wearing Walmart specials for a year.

I bought the instruction class and I'm so glad that I did. I commute and pretend that I know what I'm doing on curvy mountain roads, but knew that I would be way out of my element on the track. They paired me with an instructor on a 390 Duke and I briefly thought 500>390, of course I'm going to outrun this scrub :smuggo: (obviously not the case). He did a fantastic job of showing me the lines, setting pace, and slowly working me up. For some reason I was expecting all dudebros running the track, but everybody was super chill and worked at our levels.

I'm not great yet at prepping for corner entry but I was hitting apexes somewhat regularly by the end of the day. Lines weren't consistent, but I'd like to think that I knew when and where I hosed up, and was slowly improving every lap.

It rained the first few sessions, had two dry sessions, then rained the rest of the day. I'm actually pretty thankful for that, since it taught me how to respect the track, and how loving good some proper new tires are. I've never gone so fast through corners in the dry, let alone wet, but my instructor assured me that I wasn't even close to the limit of my bike. I believe him, but I still felt like I was doing a million miles an hour. I was getting pretty mentally exhausted by the end of the day and skipped the last two sessions. Glad that I did, since I could feel myself getting a little overconfident.

Welp, I can see why this sport is so addicting. I suppose it's time to start looking around for a track bike! And heaps of cash..

M42
Nov 12, 2012

xaarman posted:

Anyone in here have an EZ-Up or equivalent? Debating buying one for all future track days or just splurge the $150 for a garage at COTA. I don't use tire warmers so that's a moot point.

Absolutely. I got a 10x10 for $20 off craigslist. Idk where you live, but it's essential here because it's insanely hot in the summer. They're cheap and useful for other things, and not all tracks have garages.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Also you'll go through about one every 4 track days.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

Golf towing is the way to go, been doing it for years and will never use a truck for trips over an hour or two. A hammock camping setup is worth looking into and it's pretty easy to make hanging poles for the trailer.

I've never even gotten in a hammock before... time to try one out.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Also you'll go through about one every 4 track days.

Our two canopies got loving annihilated by wind two weekends ago at Road America. Knocked over one of our Groms, smashed the windscreen on our SV and put a half-dollar sized dent and chip in our fancy candy tangerine paint (I don't know what my dad's deal is with extravagant paint). The second one was brand new, first time at the track, both of them are scrapped now. He got a badass heavy-duty Fly MX one from a friend that happened to be at the track for $150 though, it's like a $500 canopy.

So the guy that used to rebuild our motors and go through them every winter started a new life with his family waaayyy the gently caress up North in bumfuck Wisconsin, so he won't be able to build our new "monster" SV motor. He felt bad, so he gave us a smoking deal on this, which had been collecting dust in his basement for several years now:

Factory HRC '97 RS125. You can see several totes full of spares, my dad unloaded the same amount of crap before this picture was taken. Spare exhausts (including a titanium one!) magnesium wheels, aluminum wheels, three sets of fairings, cams, Yosh cams, spare motor (those are SV blocks at the bottom), on and on and on. I believe Blake Young did some notable stuff on this bike. I can not wait to loving get on this thing. Nitrospazzz, we need to find a trackday (Grattan would be a blast on these) and play some 2-smoke tag :sissies:

Only one catch though: for some reason my dad wants to polish the poo poo out of the aluminum tank :doh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

T-Square posted:

Our two canopies got loving annihilated by wind two weekends ago at Road America. Knocked over one of our Groms, smashed the windscreen on our SV and put a half-dollar sized dent and chip in our fancy candy tangerine paint (I don't know what my dad's deal is with extravagant paint). The second one was brand new, first time at the track, both of them are scrapped now. He got a badass heavy-duty Fly MX one from a friend that happened to be at the track for $150 though, it's like a $500 canopy.

So the guy that used to rebuild our motors and go through them every winter started a new life with his family waaayyy the gently caress up North in bumfuck Wisconsin, so he won't be able to build our new "monster" SV motor. He felt bad, so he gave us a smoking deal on this, which had been collecting dust in his basement for several years now:

Factory HRC '97 RS125. You can see several totes full of spares, my dad unloaded the same amount of crap before this picture was taken. Spare exhausts (including a titanium one!) magnesium wheels, aluminum wheels, three sets of fairings, cams, Yosh cams, spare motor (those are SV blocks at the bottom), on and on and on. I believe Blake Young did some notable stuff on this bike. I can not wait to loving get on this thing. Nitrospazzz, we need to find a trackday (Grattan would be a blast on these) and play some 2-smoke tag :sissies:

Only one catch though: for some reason my dad wants to polish the poo poo out of the aluminum tank :doh:

Eh?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Whoops, cams are for the SV. Sorry, I was excited :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wait... is that a 125 or is there a 450 4stroke MX motor in there now?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

See my response to Z3n, it's still the 125. The cams are for the SV which is being sent out to a different local guru to be built.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was still kinda curious because of the RSF450 on the fairings. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

T-Square posted:

Whoops, cams are for the SV. Sorry, I was excited :v:

Haha no worries! You're gonna have a blast on that thing. I was just really hoping that someone had jammed a 450 single in it!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

Hell yes we do. I can get mine up to WI for pretty much free and Grattan, Gingerman, Black Hawk or anything else in the area would be amazing even though I'm slow as hell Also holy crap that's a lot of spares, that's a hell of a score.

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait... is that a 125 or is there a 450 4stroke MX motor in there now?
I keep bidding on spare chassis for a CRF450R swap but I'm cheap and don't want to spend too much on a chassis I'm going to chop up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I was still kinda curious because of the RSF450 on the fairings. :)

Oh, yeah the guy we got it from has an interesting sense of humor.

Z3n posted:

Haha no worries! You're gonna have a blast on that thing. I was just really hoping that someone had jammed a 450 single in it!

And I'm sure something like this will be inevitable far in the future, as we have only have the one extra HRC motor and I'm sure one or both will seize at some point :v:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

So I'm going to a Supermoto trackdays at the end of the month and am getting everything ready. I need an oil catch can - how do I set one of these up/where do I get one?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For sumo most people just jam hoses in a water bottle.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Check with the track because drink containers are specifically against our rules but the best advice for a simple catch can is don't over think it and make sure it has a vent and usually they are minimum 6 to 8 oz capacity minimum

edit: I came here to post, not to reply poo poo

Mini supermoto racing on an xr100: 1st place gets 50% of the entry fees for the class, so the same guy has been winning all season, he is a really fast rider. He won on the big bikes this weekend as well as the XR class. He says his bike is stock, it appears to be stock, but the guy obviously can ride and just straight dominates.

So I was talking to him yesterday, while it was rainy and lovely and the track had this dirt slime that was really greasy.

You can see it at the bottom of the picture there and it just wraps around the whole turn down to the tight right hander.

Transitioning from the dirt to the pavement and turning in to the left, I lost the front and rear simultaneously on several laps but kept it up right.

The guy who wins told me he was losing traction around the tight right hander at the end of the slime in THIRD when I take it in 2nd and it just blows me away how much faster he is and I just can't do much about it. He knows how to ride, he knows how to ride his bike, and it is really killing my chances at winning.

There are 4 mains and 2 heat races across two weekends left in the season with practice rounds in the morning before racing so I have some opportunities for practice but that isn't much time to make up for the competition's lifetime of racing experience. So frustrating!

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 11, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gonna be @ Pittrace 8/27 and 8/28, anyone else? W/N2.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thunderhill was loving hot last weekend. My wife and I still had a good time though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice! Come out to the DR day on October 3rd. Send me a PM for details.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I can make it; can akkaya already asked me if I'm interested in being a cr for him that month. I'll check in with ya when it gets closer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Not sure if I can make it; can akkaya already asked me if I'm interested in being a cr for him that month. I'll check in with ya when it gets closer.

It's the monday after AFM weekend, so shouldn't be a super busy time for track stuff :) Would be fun to ride together.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, it's gonna be tough since it's a Monday though (seeing how it's an 8 hour drive). I'll see if I can get some time off at work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Ugh, it's gonna be tough since it's a Monday though (seeing how it's an 8 hour drive). I'll see if I can get some time off at work.

I promise it's worth it! BlackMk4 will vouch, he did a long haul to get out there as well. Open trackdays are a certain kind of glory.

Also, fingers crossed I'll have had enough time to get the CBX built by then, and that should be a thing to behold going down the front straight...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I promise it's worth it! BlackMk4 will vouch, he did a long haul to get out there as well. Open trackdays are a certain kind of glory.

Also, fingers crossed I'll have had enough time to get the CBX built by then, and that should be a thing to behold going down the front straight...

Can confirm, was worth the 2000mi round trip.

I had my first trackday of the season at Inde Motorsports Ranch yesterday, it was my first time at the track and my first time on an inline 4 since my 2006 GSXR750 a few years ago.

The track was pretty cool, lots of small elevation change, multi-apex corners, and a few sections (3 / 15-16-17) that are my style of corner. I like corners with high entry speed that allow you to carry a single line through multiple other / smaller corners.

The R6... well... the suspension was set up like poo poo (as expected, I put an Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins 20mm valve kit in the forks, resprung the forks with .95 springs, and moved the geometry far from stock - raised front and rear - without properly having it set up.) and I thought that the bike was broken because it felt SO SLOW, at least until I realized I was dead even with the other 600s on the straights.

I hadn't been on a proper sportbike in so long that I forgot how uncomfortable they are and all of the muscles that made them rideable are gone, it was wearing me out real quick -- along with breaking in a new suit. I rode it for ~10 minutes in each early session then came back into the pits took the Tuono for the remainder of the session. Towards the afternoon I started getting more comfortable and the suit stretched a little bit so I was able to finish sessions out on the R6.

The Tuono, as always, impresses me. I avoid trailbraking on it and I avoid big lean angles because the front needs a revalve bad - it's a pogo stick even with the rebound adjuster fully seated. It's so comfortable and I can go really goddamn quick on it while being conservative, pretty much to the point of thinking why I even bother having another bike. :v: I was able to lap quicker on the fubar R6 but it took a lot more work and risk.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 15, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Can confirm, was worth the 2000mi round trip.

I had my first trackday of the season at Inde Motorsports Ranch yesterday, it was my first time at the track and my first time on an inline 4 since my 2006 GSXR750 a few years ago.

The track was pretty cool, lots of small elevation change, multi-apex corners, and a few sections (3 / 15-16-17) that are my style of corner. I like corners with high entry speed that allow you to carry a single line through multiple other / smaller corners.

The R6... well... the suspension was set up like poo poo (as expected, I put an Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins 20mm valve kit in the forks, resprung the forks with .95 springs, and moved the geometry far from stock - raised front and rear - without properly having it set up.) and I thought that the bike was broken because it felt SO SLOW, at least until I realized I was dead even with the other 600s on the straights.

I hadn't been on a proper sportbike in so long that I forgot how uncomfortable they are and all of the muscles that made them rideable are gone, it was wearing me out real quick -- along with breaking in a new suit. I rode it for ~10 minutes in each early session then came back into the pits took the Tuono for the remainder of the session. Towards the afternoon I started getting more comfortable and the suit stretched a little bit so I was able to finish sessions out on the R6.

The Tuono, as always, impresses me. I avoid trailbraking on it and I avoid big lean angles because the front needs a revalve bad - it's a pogo stick even with the rebound adjuster fully seated. It's so comfortable and I can go really goddamn quick on it while being conservative, pretty much to the point of thinking why I even bother having another bike. :v: I was able to lap quicker on the fubar R6 but it took a lot more work and risk.

Which direction did you go? That sweeping turn after the straight (Counterclockwise) looks terrifying and exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Clockwise. CCW would be sketchy as hell, I wonder if they run it that way.

• Locked thread