Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I got charged and I got the email asking if I can cancel. So, right now how it's all going to play out falls right in the middle of "Who knows, man?"

But hey. This scenario was a distinct possibility from the start. Can't complain too much when I was warned up front.

(Edit: Aaaand... gone. Ah well. Too good to be true and that.)

Also, Red Panda Bearguy is adorable.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Neurolimal posted:

(Ignore that I forgot to put the tail back on for the pics)

Real nice, you gotta do a long tail with the stripes for the complete look!

Work on the Jegan continues. After cleaning paint off the ball joint for the neck so it wasn't scary tight it's managed to be perfectly tight when looking to the left/right and up, but straight on it just instantly flops chin down as hard as it can so I'm going to have to tighten that up. Next up, legs because the Zeong this ain't.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Real nice, you gotta do a long tail with the stripes for the complete look!

I was/am actually planning to! The design in my head is a 3 segment tail using balljoints for two and the middle with a socket on both ends. I might go with 4 just to have two stripes though.

I became less concerned because the primer made the legs surprisingly firm and stand-safe (the tail was going to be used for stability), but I might still consider it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone painted the inner frame of an IBO HG? Just curious how that turns out, if it interferes with movement or if it would wear off. I just built the Kimaris, really great kit, and saw that the arms looks a bit like some of the CCA Zeon suits, actually very close to a Geara Zulu, and the legs looks like they would work on a Zeon mono-eye, so I'm thinking I might be able to do something interesting.

I've done it to 4 kits and no problems so far on any of them. Although I haven't tried it on the 1/100 scale IBO kits yet.

http://m.imgur.com/mcXTCkF proof of concept.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well finished my z'gock. My first and likely last amphibious mobile suit that I'll ever do.

I toned down the weathering on this one. I attempted to add some weathering like what I've seen with subs, though I'm not sure how visible it is. I made a conscious effort to dial down the weathering in comparison to my jesta. I also tried to add some burn marks on the claws and some mud on the feet. It's also the first time I used a detail up part or whatever they are called for the monoeye.

Now on to the turn X, and the mg zaku 2.0, whose box is clearly visible in my photo.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Well finished my z'gock. My first and likely last amphibious mobile suit that I'll ever do.

I toned down the weathering on this one. I attempted to add some weathering like what I've seen with subs, though I'm not sure how visible it is. I made a conscious effort to dial down the weathering in comparison to my jesta. I also tried to add some burn marks on the claws and some mud on the feet. It's also the first time I used a detail up part or whatever they are called for the monoeye.

Now on to the turn X, and the mg zaku 2.0, whose box is clearly visible in my photo.

:rip: your fingers when the time comes to build the Zaku.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
A pair of soft-jaw pliers would probably be a worthwhile investment for any would-be Zaku builders out there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly is it about the MG Zaku II piping that makes it such a nightmare? I heard similar things about the RG Zaku II and I found the piping on those tedious, but not finger snapping.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The tube segments are molded around a plastic rod that's really difficult to get pieces off of without hurting your hands. It's not the worst thing ever, but it feels a bit like a rite of passage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finally completed my IBO HG collection.

Been slipping a bit on the reviews, but I'll post 'em all up soon.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hobbysearch has a sale on at the moment; If you want a Banshee PG or the Kotobukiya Sahelanthropus kit now would be a good time to get one.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont think that hippo is 1/144 scale

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

No you haven't, there's a whole second season's worth of kits coming :v:.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Been slipping a bit on the reviews, but I'll post 'em all up soon.

I'm just falling in love with the line, I've done a Graze Schwalbe, Kimaris and started on Barbatos form 4, with a Gusion Rebake to come.

Does everything use either the Gundam or Graze/Valkyrie frame? Or do some use other frames?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mentioned this before, but the Man Rodi kit really shines with some dark green panel lining; without it kind of looks a bit plasticky due to all the molded details and minor part separation.

That's an understated element of the IBO line that I love but gets ovetshadowed by the great inner frames; there's an insane amount of opportunity for lining and frame coloring. The longest part of my Ritter build was just me painting various parts darker or silver.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm just falling in love with the line, I've done a Graze Schwalbe, Kimaris and started on Barbatos form 4, with a Gusion Rebake to come.

Does everything use either the Gundam or Graze/Valkyrie frame? Or do some use other frames?

The Guison, Man Rodi, Hyakuren, Grimgerde, and Hyakuri all have unique builds. The Valkyrie frame is similar to the graze frame, but the parts are all different.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
MG GN-X is getting reprinted! Suck it, Amazon and Ebay markups! :dance:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10104785

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Only the Grazes, the Gundams, and the Grimgerde have full inner frames. The Teiwaz and Brewer machines are just (high-quality, well-engineered) standard HGs, although the Hyakuri has a partial inner frame. The Grim's Valkyrie frame is totally unique, even if it is the same rough shape as its Graze children, and the Graze Ein has a modified variant of the Graze frame (some old parts, some new) that is actually the most perfect in the entire HG range.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
So according to Hobby Search Nobell is getting a re-release :

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10132002

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10153371

Also found the preorder link for the cat-eared Qan(t) :

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10400486

And I'm a sucker for a cute Beargguy :

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10400495

I threw those all on preorder, personally - as long as Nobell goes well I'll probably end up ordering a set of them for Sailor Moon customs because I have no shame (or all of the shame, whatever, I'm already here building robots). I did also snag an RG Strike Freedom and a Zaku Warrior Live Concert Ver. 'cause a pink Zaku with Haro decals tickles me.

e : full reissue list can be located here - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=&target=tag&searchkey=Bandai+October+Rerelease

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 4, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How's MG Gundam Spiegel? I've always liked his look, and I can never have enough G Gundmans.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Are chrome colors more difficult to paint? Thinking about my first color scheme and some chrome blue pieces mixed in would be neat.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Revitalized posted:

Are chrome colors more difficult to paint? Thinking about my first color scheme and some chrome blue pieces mixed in would be neat.

If my recent trial with chroming and candying is normal, then goddamn it's so much harder to do.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

For anyone else curious, the RG Sinanju's intended to have one runner of a darker red according to its color guide, but they just sort of . . . didn't bother when it came to production time and used the same color plastic for all of them. Pretty weird!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

For anyone else curious, the RG Sinanju's intended to have one runner of a darker red according to its color guide, but they just sort of . . . didn't bother when it came to production time and used the same color plastic for all of them. Pretty weird!

Considering how great the rest of it's looked, I imagine they needed to cut costs somewhere, and decided a single runner of different-shade red would be something most people wouldn't miss.

On the bright side, that they designed it with this runner to be detail pieces means that it will be pretty easy to immediately repaint the accenting bits right out of the box.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well that's weird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The RG Sinanju's are shipping! :f5:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Sinanju's C-runner sure looks like a darker shade to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://schizophonic9.com/re4/rg_sinanju.html
yeah it's subtle but they're slightly different

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
gently caress, I was literally just complaining my backlog is now officially too big for my cupboard when I got my MG Powered GM yesterday, and now I need an RG Sinanju. :negative:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

muike posted:

http://schizophonic9.com/re4/rg_sinanju.html
yeah it's subtle but they're slightly different

Huh, now I'm not so sure. A lot of that's not consistent with the runner layout, so some of it's just a trick of the light/lovely translucent plastic. They even wondered about it on the HLJ livebuild but ultimately concluded there's no difference.

I guess the takeaway is even if it's there, it may as well not be because you'll never notice.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Hobbysearch has a sale on at the moment; If you want a Banshee PG or the Kotobukiya Sahelanthropus kit now would be a good time to get one.

oh poo poo, now the completed Sahelanthropus from Sentinel is marked WAY down too. I'll finish my kit version one day, but the mechanical design of figure is so much better that its unreal

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10348506

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Xy Hapu posted:

Huh, now I'm not so sure. A lot of that's not consistent with the runner layout, so some of it's just a trick of the light/lovely translucent plastic. They even wondered about it on the HLJ livebuild but ultimately concluded there's no difference.

I guess the takeaway is even if it's there, it may as well not be because you'll never notice.

The only place it's evident in photographs is that oblong panel on the lower leg. I'm glad they kept it subtle.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Neurolimal posted:

How's MG Gundam Spiegel? I've always liked his look, and I can never have enough G Gundmans.

Pretty much the same inner frame as the other MG G gundams. Which is to say solid if a bit dated and some of the screws feel unnecessary. I'd say go for it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
HLJ has a sale on RDs going on.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Anybody have experience with these Kotobukiya LED beam sabers? http://schizophonic9.com/re4/kotobukiya_gimmick02.html

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If you're getting the RG shinanju, start building it immediately before it falls into your backlog pit. I just got a Mk II RG and I'm putting it together as is, no painting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ka0 posted:

If you're getting the RG shinanju, start building it immediately before it falls into your backlog pit. I just got a Mk II RG and I'm putting it together as is, no painting.

The MK II is easily the best RG kit, and the sinanju uses the same inner frame as it, so it will be a really drat solid model.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ka0 posted:

If you got the Titans version you don't need to paint it, it already has the perfect paintjob.

You got the Titans version, right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you got the Titans version you don't need to paint it, it already has the perfect paintjob.

You got the Titans version, right?

I don't know why someone would pick the AEUG version, honestly. Less parts, worse colors, and a smaller optional marking sheet. (Not that you'd use all the markings on an RG because that's terrifying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't know why someone would pick the AEUG version, honestly. Less parts, worse colors, and a smaller optional marking sheet. (Not that you'd use all the markings on an RG because that's terrifying).

I have the AEUG version, and I used all the markings. I'm a masochist.