Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I played LISA for 5 minutes but I gave up because the core gameplay was just non-existent. I'm so sick of developers that think their super special edgy writing and story justify an utter lack of compelling gameplay. I don't care if the point of LISA is to be depressing, if I want to feel depressed I'll go watch The Road and only waste 2 hours rather than 20+.

What do you mean by "pushing the system to its limits?" I'd argue the combat in the Souls series is among the most refined and fun in the entire genre.

You see "super special edgy", others see "compelling". For me the thing that drags LISA down is that it's just too god drat hard. I get that it's supposed to be brutal but I physically could not finish the game because it shits on you so badly and I kept losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BillmasterCozb posted:

is this how people felt when i didnt like gone home

Gone Home's gameplay and overall experience is built around the story, though. Maybe LISA shouldn't be turn based combat RPG.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

You see "super special edgy", others see "compelling". For me the thing that drags LISA down is that it's just too god drat hard. I get that it's supposed to be brutal but I physically could not finish the game because it shits on you so badly and I kept losing.

Yeah the game is designed to gently caress you over, but there's a good strategy aside from "Git Gud"

Terry Hintz gets an ability early on that can make enemies cry, enraged, or both. If an enemy is both crying and mad, they'll miss most attacks against you, and will have a good chance to critically hit themselves. This does not work 100% of the times as I recall some fights where i'm desperately trying to get the ability to work, but most of the time it's the best thing to do

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BillmasterCozb posted:

Same, but for Life is Strange

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Same, but for Life is Strange

That game at least has gameplay. I mean, it is a ripoff of Telltale-styled "Your choices will matter" gameplay, but..yeah. I at least thought Gone Home would have puzzles, but the only puzzle I recall was the safe in the basement with a loving combo lock, surrounded by JFK memorabilia, so of course the answer was 1963, and my reward was a note that I could not read at all. Later on I found out from the angered PS Store thread that there was an option that overlays text on notes. That seems like something that should have been presented when booting up the game.

edit: Oh yeah, I also got an achievement for solving a puzzle without the note with the combination code on it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

On reflection I think I was being a bit unfair. I would probably watch an LP of LISA for the story. But after Undertale and Dark Souls, I can't play a traditional turn-based RPG without getting incredibly bored. oh well :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

You can get like 30 party members in LISA, it's built around its permadeath and if you don't accept that and constantly savescum to try and save everyone you're going to have a miserable time.

I'm not trying to save everyone, I'm just trying to save the two non-poo poo party members I have because everyone else is either poo poo or have weird ways of getting them in your party I haven't figured out. But the game is just built around bullshit. Oh what, you rested? Well now your favorite guy is gone and dead. Good luck getting a new guy because now you're sick and every attack you do does zero damage, have fun beating that guy guarding the next save point with effectively only one party member! I don't mind hard games, I just can't stand it when a game is built entirely around bullshit like that. If you have perma-death, giving a ton of enemies the ability to instantly kill someone is kind of bullshit.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'm not trying to save everyone, I'm just trying to save the two non-poo poo party members I have because everyone else is either poo poo or have weird ways of getting them in your party I haven't figured out. But the game is just built around bullshit. Oh what, you rested? Well now your favorite guy is gone and dead. Good luck getting a new guy because now you're sick and every attack you do does zero damage, have fun beating that guy guarding the next save point with effectively only one party member! I don't mind hard games, I just can't stand it when a game is built entirely around bullshit like that. If you have perma-death, giving a ton of enemies the ability to instantly kill someone is kind of bullshit.

You can just pay money to rest at inns and not risk events happening and unless you really want the joy-free ending all you have to do is take joy once you're sick and you get ridiculous damage and a full heal. Usually the only things that do instant-kills are mutants (which you can mostly avoid) and the boss guys. LISA is honestly pretty forgiving, beside the russian roulette gambit near the beginning. I think LISA is a fantastic game and succeeds at its message much better than what Undertale tried to do; it's supposed to be ridiculously dark and edgy and wouldn't work any other way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Just be glad you aren't playing on the highest difficulty. One of the changes it makes is that it makes all the save points single-use (they literally explode after you save at them), which is a degree of masochism even I'm not willing to deal with since it just means you're going to have to spend a lot of time re-playing the same content over and over every time you die until you find a new save point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Complaining about pubbies is the quickest way to identify humorless asshats who take a game way too seriously and are miserable to play with.

We're all a pubbie to someone (unless you don't play online videogames, I guess). People who use public voice chat are just the worst, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

HaB posted:

people who stream their music over voice chat

People do this? Are there any people who are ever grateful this bitch is broadcasting his music to everyone? I can't imagine it sounding good, unless it's being channeled in right from the computer and not via speaker - to - lovely microphone.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

credburn posted:

People do this? Are there any people who are ever grateful this bitch is broadcasting his music to everyone? I can't imagine it sounding good, unless it's being channeled in right from the computer and not via speaker - to - lovely microphone.

People who play Lucio in Overwatch do this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

credburn posted:

There used to be a plugin for this in Source games, HLDJ. Valve broke that by switching voice codecs at some point, and I think I've only ever heard someone do it once since then.

Not counting the guy that got on an alltalk server, sang the entirety of California Girls, and left. That's... different.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Well that sounds marginally acceptable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

Tell me about your experiences because I can't imagine giving enough of a poo poo about what game someone enjoys to bitch them out about it.

I mean, I'm assuming you weren't all 'this game is going to kill the games industry!' about it. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

There used to be a plugin for this in Source games, HLDJ. Valve broke that by switching voice codecs at some point, and I think I've only ever heard someone do it once since then.

Not counting the guy that got on an alltalk server, sang the entirety of California Girls, and left. That's... different.

HLDJ still works in some form, because I used to join TF2 MarioKart *~wacky~* maps and spam the Sears Air Conditioner commercial everyone knows until I got banned.

"I'll call them tomorrow"

"You'll call now."

"I'll call now"

It's possible to break a person doing that, I had one guy saying it word for word along with the ad, but the way voice chat can be delayed meant he was echoing it a half second off

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

A couple things I want to mention for people that consider Lisa to be too hard, or to 'conceptual' to be enjoyable:

a) The first 3rd of the game is the hardest part
b - and more important than 'a') You can take a loss in Lisa that you would consider catastrophic in another RPG, and still be able to beat the game.

The game does want to punish you, and there are probably 3-5 fights in the game that are complete bullshit. But it's one that if you just keep playing, no matter how dire you "think" your situation is, you can keep going. The game is designed around completely loving you over, but about still giving you an avenue to complete it.

I'm not one of those, "if you don't beat it you don't understand it" type of people. But it's definitely true that, what would be a fail-state in another RPG, is a completely viable circumstance in Lisa

(e.g. having your main character's strength halved (or quartered); having your best party permanently wiped out; etc)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Tell me about your experiences because I can't imagine giving enough of a poo poo about what game someone enjoys to bitch them out about it.

I mean, I'm assuming you weren't all 'this game is going to kill the games industry!' about it. :v:

Nah, I went into it relatively open-minded, thinking the whole "The sister is gay" thing was implied here and there

hooooooo booooy was i ever wrong. walking around so slowly in the giant mansion was just boring, and hearing those tapes play whenever i inspected anything made it feel longer. I'd be fine with the tapes playing every single time I inspect something, but one: These tapes take up minutes of time, and two: These tapes can get cancelled by interacting with something that triggers another recording, so I'm just expected to sit there and listen to this sister drone on about her life problems for minutes, when most of them can be condensed to a few lines? There's a point where it stops being an intriguing story about what happened to the sister and family, and where it starts being a waiting game. To make things even funnier, my brother and mother watched me go through it, with mom saying "This..isn't a game" while brother and I kept giggling at the remark as I went through the house and shoved all the bathroom items into the sink. A lot of the notes were just written in this tiny scrawl, so it was pointless bothering with them.

This is my problem with games like Gone Home or Lets Go to the Rapture, Dear Esther, etc. because they're all painfully boring, you're slower than a man made of molasses trying to go downhill, and the environment just does nothing to draw you into the game. Except, there IS a game like those that draws you in perfectly. That game is LSD Simulator, an old PS1 video game based on the dream journals of a man, where it has this bizarre atmosphere, and there's so much going on around you that you WANT to walk around and take it all in, you want to find all these stupid cutscenes like birds flapping around, or finding encounters like being in a womb with a bunch of dancing baby..things. It doesn't try to have a story, because it doesn't need one, and that's why I feel these games don't usually work. The story is pretty much always just "Roam around, you might find a recording, vision of the past, fragments of a letter", but finding them is more of an unrewarding chore, rather than adding to the experience you're supposed to be having, like collecting all the poo poo in Donkey Kong Country, except whenever you did, it'd start playing a bit of the Kong Memoirs.

I dunno, maybe I just don't get these games.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

People whining that Lisa are hard are exactly the same kind of people who whine about Dark Souls being hard.

From Dust is a kind of unique game, but because the missions are centered around making the stupid musical people thrive, it kind of sucks. If I just got to play with the elements without having to deal with keeping stupid musical people alive, that'd be great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Lisa is a fun, whimsical, and hilarious game. I haven't laughed that hard or that long at a video game until I played Lisa. It's also not hard at all. Maybe all y'all people who are having a bad time just need to git gud. It worked for me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Games that are "Earthbound-likes" have become too common, but Lisa is a good one. It's worth dealing with a little bullshit. It took me 4-5 starts to ultimately finish, but I'm glad I did.

vvvvvv :mmmhmm:

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Aug 6, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Lavender posted:

It took me 4-5 starts to ultimately finish, but I'm glad I did.

I know exactly what you mean my friend

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gone Home is a mediocre adventure game, by the standards of the genre. But that's because the genre is, on average, bad. People who play adventure games have learned to put up with a lot of dumb bullshit and so developers get away with continuing to include it. Like expecting the player to do things that the character has no reason t be doing. Gone Home also got a lot of credit for doing things which actually weren't as clever or innovative as people thought they were. The main problem with it though was that it was clearly supposed to be a mystery, but the solution was obvious fairly early on, and so you're expecting there to be more to it but there isn't.

RareAcumen posted:

Try expressing a negative opinion about a popular, recently released video game anywhere on the internet and you'll experience it for yourself.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Lavender posted:

Games that are "Earthbound-likes" have become too common, but Lisa is a good one. It's worth dealing with a little bullshit. It took me 4-5 starts to ultimately finish, but I'm glad I did.

Undertale was an Earthbound-like while also not being anything like Earthbound. LISA is more a direct take, and actually pretty similar to tobyfox's first game, an Earthbound rom hack/fan sequel.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Undertale was an Earthbound-like while also not being anything like Earthbound. LISA is more a direct take, and actually pretty similar to tobyfox's first game, an Earthbound rom hack/fan sequel.

Clearly you don't watch the smartest show in gaming, Game Theory, or else you'd know that Undertale is exactly like Earthbound as Ness is in the game.

FF14's current event is implemented pretty poorly. One quest involves attacking to weaken a mob to use an item to capture it.... and the mob isn't instanced. Its shared between all players. Nothing like say 2 players trying to capture the same mob and killing it. Or some dickhead at max level instantly killing the level 30 mobs as soon as they spawn. Honestly, anything in online games that requires doing something that is shared between players is loving terrible and should just instance that poo poo. Nothing makes players hate other players then people trying to do the same thing and interfering with their progress, or worse a troll loving with them.

E: This was really aggravating with the 2.0 relic that required you to kill 10 different mobs 10 times each and only 3 or 4 would be in the world at a time. And no one wanted to bother partying up to just eliminate the tedium of trying to do X amount of damage in 3 seconds before the mob dies for credit

Leal has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Aug 6, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

Gone Home is a mediocre adventure game, by the standards of the genre. But that's because the genre is, on average, bad. People who play adventure games have learned to put up with a lot of dumb bullshit and so developers get away with continuing to include it. Like expecting the player to do things that the character has no reason t be doing. Gone Home also got a lot of credit for doing things which actually weren't as clever or innovative as people thought they were. The main problem with it though was that it was clearly supposed to be a mystery, but the solution was obvious fairly early on, and so you're expecting there to be more to it but there isn't.

I didn't think Gone Home was necessarily A++ 10/10 REVOLUTIONARY MASTERPIECE GOTY either, but the "mystery" and "solution" are arguably the least important parts of the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

A White Guy posted:

People whining that Lisa are hard are exactly the same kind of people who whine about Dark Souls being hard.

Except I love Dark Souls :shrug:.

Captain Lavender posted:

A couple things I want to mention for people that consider Lisa to be too hard, or to 'conceptual' to be enjoyable:

It's obviously beatable, sure. People do that all the time, my friend who convinced me to try it has beaten it multiple times. I just don't like dealing with that poo poo for the same reason I get aggravated when my favorite weapon in Dark Cloud breaks and goes away forever. It's just annoying to me and I don't like dealing with that. Except unlike Dark Cloud, LISA doesn't give you infinite repair powder.

Leal posted:

FF14's current event is implemented pretty poorly.

My server is at least decent about the bombs. Mostly because everyone is swarming the FATE, the FATE is a whole different cup of tea. Most fates are kind of frustrating to do if a lot of people are doing them at once because you have to hit a certain mark of damage or kills for credit. This fate always takes place in the same location so it's really easy for 100+ people to just camp it. It routinely ends in less than five seconds. Getting credit for it at all is a complete crapshoot, let alone doing enough to get silver or gold.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Alteisen posted:

But seriously gently caress Junkrat, he doesn't even need to see you to spam his bullshit and can basically shutdown an entire lane, they also do tons of damage when they connect. :colbert:
You mean to tell me that a character that is mechanically analogous to TF2's Demoman can be frustrating to play against? Who could have seen that coming? :monocle:

Thing dragging down TF2 for me: playing against a good Demoman.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I absolutely loathe Earthbound but I adore Lisa and Undertail.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Leal posted:

Clearly you don't watch the smartest show in gaming, Game Theory, or else you'd know that Undertale is exactly like Earthbound as Ness is in the game.

FF14's current event is implemented pretty poorly. One quest involves attacking to weaken a mob to use an item to capture it.... and the mob isn't instanced. Its shared between all players. Nothing like say 2 players trying to capture the same mob and killing it. Or some dickhead at max level instantly killing the level 30 mobs as soon as they spawn. Honestly, anything in online games that requires doing something that is shared between players is loving terrible and should just instance that poo poo. Nothing makes players hate other players then people trying to do the same thing and interfering with their progress, or worse a troll loving with them.

E: This was really aggravating with the 2.0 relic that required you to kill 10 different mobs 10 times each and only 3 or 4 would be in the world at a time. And no one wanted to bother partying up to just eliminate the tedium of trying to do X amount of damage in 3 seconds before the mob dies for credit

That's a big problem with MMOs, unless you're doing something specifically designed as multi-person content, sharing the environment with random other players (the entire point of an MMO, right?) tends to just make the game worse.

I remembered FFXIV was especially bad about this. For instance, I was leveling a crafting skill and there were only ten sheep in the universe that dropped the wool I needed to gain, like, 100 crafting levels. They pretty much always had ~5 people camping them. Presumably other people who wanted to level their crafting.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Aug 6, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LISA: The Painful RPG is my favorite game you guys have talked about in this, the 'PYF thing dragging this game down so everyone can tell you how wrong you are about your opinion' thread.

Second favorite is still Fallout 4.

Tiggum posted:

Try expressing a negative opinion about a popular, recently released video game anywhere on the internet and you'll experience it for yourself.

Oh, sorry. I mean to say that I couldn't imagine doing it myself. I'm fully aware that other people do it, of course.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

That's a big problem with MMOs, unless you're doing something specifically designed as multi-person content, sharing the environment with random other players (the entire point of an MMO, right?) tends to just make the game worse.
Even doing multi-person content isn't really made better than, say, using AI. For example they recently put up a new dungeon where you start at level 1, level to 60 by the end and have unique equipment that levels based on randomly generated upgrades. People would drop out, kick random people or intentionally wipe it on the last floor if they felt they, personally, didn't get enough upgrades no matter how the rest of the group felt about it. Multiplayer games keep designing under the impression that people will play by the rules, work together and not be total pieces of poo poo. But people who play video games always operate under the maximum shittery setting.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Guy Mann posted:

Complaining about pubbies is the quickest way to identify humorless asshats who take a game way too seriously and are miserable to play with.

Everyone once in a while I'll read one of your posts and be like drat this is a good post then I'll see you're the one who wrote it and get really grim but I'll still acknowledge it, it's okay.

I'm sure anyone who has played any amount of videogames with goons has either met the type of person who non-stop bitches about "pubbies" or they are that person

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Destiny is the worst game ever because you can't do anything in a 2 man group and need some random 3rd to do anything remotely difficult

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

credburn posted:

They're probably the same people who use "ringbacks" so you have to listen to their favorite terrible song when you try to reach them by phone.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

credburn posted:

I absolutely loathe Earthbound but I adore Lisa and Undertail.

whoa watch out you could cut yourself on this hot take

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My only problem with Earthbound was that Poo kept dying because holy poo poo poo get it together and turn into the loving kraken already

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Best part of Earthbound was I lucked into a free copy a few years ago and sold it for $$$

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A White Guy posted:

From Dust is a kind of unique game, but because the missions are centered around making the stupid musical people thrive, it kind of sucks. If I just got to play with the elements without having to deal with keeping stupid musical people alive, that'd be great.

The game also has an irritating penchant for not being able to accurately predict what terrain deformations are going to happen without you input. Early on there is a mission with Tsunamis which it does tell you about, but the timing is so tight you have to immediately be getting your dudes bee-lining for the objective or you'll get wiped out. It comes to an extremely ugly head at the final level though, where the game does a prefab set of terrain construction and destruction that, unless you know what the game is going to do, is going to screw you over and wreck your best plans and even when you do know whats going to happen has fairly tight timing. Its rather unpleasant that the final mission basically requires you to fail it to see what will happen before you can win.

At least you can eventually unlock a "do whatever you drat well please" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SciFiDownBeat posted:

What do you mean by "pushing the system to its limits?" I'd argue the combat in the Souls series is among the most refined and fun in the entire genre.

It is refined and fun, and probably the best in the genre, but it's not all that deep. (I'm talking only about PvE here by the way, I haven't done any invading in 3) Drilling dodge/parry timings is the most important thing in the game by far. It does gain more depth when you're fighting more than one guy at a time though, and when your attacks can stun/counter the enemy instead of just chipping off HP, which is why Abyss Watchers has become one of my favorite parts. Against a big boss you're just playing Punch-Out.

DS3 is one of the few games in any genre where the enemies are legit aggressive, which is what I meant by pushing the system to its limits. With less margin for player error, it ends up revealing how little of what you do matters. In earlier Souls games it wasn't obvious because the AI was passive enough to let you get away with a lot of poo poo that DS3 enemies will call you on.

In a weird way the original Zelda blows away moden ARPGs for depth. When you get into the harder 2nd Quest levels with the teleporting wizards and randomly moving knights and the really different architecture from room to room you have to start thinking a couple moves ahead in a way that no amount of memorization can help you much with.