Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

darthbob88 posted:

Eh, makes sense to me. Of course somebody obsessed with personal freedom would go into free software. "You can't tell me what to do with my own software, Bill Gates!" or something like that.

I don't see john galt handing out the blueprints to his inventions to anyone who feels like manufacturing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr Dog posted:

Modern open source seems to be largely driven by the raging torrent of stupid rich people money coursing through the sector right now. Making open source boosts ego and career prospects despite not generating much value for the person financing it, but the people financing it just throw money at everything software related these days so i guess startup people dick off making oss on account of nobody reigning them in.

modern open source is largely driven by the fact that the people who actually write the code are personally interested in making it so. either they want the prestige of running a well known oss project, or it's part of their moral code like the rms types, whatever. so they ask the boss if they can open source some library that the company has no interest in selling anyway. company figures they'll get some free exposure on their tech blog from the release, and they'd rather the programmer who probably spent his weekends writing the thing not defect to googamafacesoft, so they let him do it. win win

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

HoboMan posted:

also please make programming into a profession for uncool losers again tia

i think that's how tinder was invented

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

I don't see john galt handing out the blueprints to his inventions to anyone who feels like manufacturing them
he'd do it if he thought that the government / some non-innovative corporation had stolen his intellectual property and used it to serve the 'greater good,' and then asked him not to invent anything that could be used for 'selfish reasons'.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

Modern open source seems to be largely driven by the raging torrent of stupid rich people money coursing through the sector right now. Making open source boosts ego and career prospects despite not generating much value for the person financing it, but the people financing it just throw money at everything software related these days so i guess startup people dick off making oss on account of nobody reigning them in.

which projects are examples of this? which are very far from the model proposed?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Valeyard posted:

you mean an MSci?

A MEng with honors (^-^)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Soricidus posted:

Yeah, but I also don't see John Galt accepting an Apple-grade license attached to his code, or any code he uses. It's his product, nobody can tell him what he can and cannot do with it. So he fucks off to FOSS Freehold, a land without restrictive software licenses, where the coder need not fear the lawyer, where developers are not bound by dress code or deadlines, and the productive are not constrained by the managers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gpl is restrictive as gently caress

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ITT: shaggar knows more about the open source than everyone else :psyduck:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, but I also don't see John Galt accepting an Apple-grade license attached to his code, or any code he uses. It's his product, nobody can tell him what he can and cannot do with it. So he fucks off to FOSS Freehold, a land without restrictive software licenses, where the coder need not fear the lawyer, where developers are not bound by dress code or deadlines, and the productive are not constrained by the managers.

oh yeah that's a really good point

Shaggar posted:

gpl is restrictive as gently caress

so is that

i think it's just like any other libertarian view point: someone who is fully willing to reap the benefits of a system without feeling any obligation to contribute anything back. like, for instance, esr.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ESR types are worthless people who couldn't hack it in a real company so open sores is a place where they can easily claim a fiefdom and shout down their "oppressors". gpl is a way for them to say "no gently caress YOU, DAD! you cant use my code" even though nobody wants their code.

all the actually relevant open sores projects have either corporate backing or are maintained by corporate workers as shared libs for each others benefits at their corporate jobs. These projects are all licensed with actual free licenses like apache, mit, bsd, or ms-pl.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol .net/asp.net is licensed under mit instead of ms-pl

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont think anyone contributes to open source for purely selfless reasons, but even so, it still inherently subverts the foundation of capitalism: that money and competition are the only way to drive innovation. clearly, people are very driven to innovate for no reason other than it feels good to create things.

that is not "the foundation of capitalism"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

darthbob88 posted:

I feel like there's a parallel to be drawn between OSS approach to interface design and how libertarians approach critical infrastructure like roads/water/etc.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

~Coxy posted:

that is not "the foundation of capitalism"

yeah i made that post with a strong sense of 'oh boy i'm pretty sure this is wrong and sounds stupid but maybe it's actually smart and should not be deleted'

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the foundation of capitalism is figuring out ever more novel ways to shovel more and more money to a wealthy few while avoiding guillotines

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
gpl is bad, mit and apache should be good enough for anybody

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that said I have a fsf membership card...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

uncurable mlady posted:

gpl is bad, mit and apache should be good enough for anybody

mit is for masochists that love getting poo poo on by corporations

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

please take my software and poz my neg hole ~ an mit license user

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why would i care so strongly about how other people use the poo poo i give away for free

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I know a bunch of projects written and ran by undergrads and students from various universities and publishing their work as part of dissemination. I've seen them require GPL so that their contributions can be used by anyone, but that work that builds upon their research must also be kept public. I think this is fine and I have a great time seeing all the corporate types pull their hair and complain about the license and ask for a more lax license so they can make a buck from it without sharing back.

I also enjoy being able to work in open source so that if I leave whatever job I have, the work I've done doesn't disappear in a sinkhole and can be reused in other projects, whether public or not. But I tend to open source libraries rather than fully functional software.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

all my personal stuff is gpl, while my employer's stuff is usually apache

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

which projects are examples of this? which are very far from the model proposed?

probably like 90% of the poo poo in the node and ruby "ecosystem"s

startup kids bikeshedding three mvc frameworks in as many quarters without shipping any actual product

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 6, 2016

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

which open source licence pisses off RMS the most? whatever it is you should use that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sweevo posted:

which open source licence pisses off RMS the most? whatever it is you should use that.

http://www.wtfpl.net/

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^ famously used by critical web infrastructure project leftpad.js :v:

Bloody posted:

why would i care so strongly about how other people use the poo poo i give away for free

hypothetically, if $corporation likes your gpl library and wants to use it in a closed-source project, you can offer to grant them a separate commercial license to the library for a price

with a non-restrictive license you can't sell them poo poo, they're free to take it

in practice what actually happens is that the worthless suits at $corporation just tell their slaves "hello cocksuckers, you have to work 80 hours next week too to duplicate an already-existing solution because the lawyers say we can't use that one", but that's no reason to make things easier for them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

our solution is to just secretly use the gpl code anyway and blame "patent trolls" when we get sued

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

^^^ famously used by critical web infrastructure project leftpad.js :v:

hypothetically, if $corporation likes your gpl library and wants to use it in a closed-source project, you can offer to grant them a separate commercial license to the library for a price

with a non-restrictive license you can't sell them poo poo, they're free to take it

in practice what actually happens is that the worthless suits at $corporation just tell their slaves "hello cocksuckers, you have to work 80 hours next week too to duplicate an already-existing solution because the lawyers say we can't use that one", but that's no reason to make things easier for them

corporations aren't going to contribute back to non-restrictive licenses anyways so using the gpl is basically like saying "this is mine. nobody touch it". the only people who might contribute are other amateurs.

and tbh I cant think of the last time I saw a worthwhile project that used gpl. all the good open sores stuff uses non-restrictive licenses and they get actual bug fixes and enhancements because people are actually using them irl.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

and tbh I cant think of the last time I saw a worthwhile project that used gpl. all the good open sores stuff uses non-restrictive licenses and they get actual bug fixes and enhancements because people are actually using them irl.

I was going to say linux but then I saw who I was replying to

not even shaggar can deny that linux does get actual bug fixes and enhancements and is actually used irl despite being gpl tho

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sweevo posted:

probably the ABRMS license

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
what's the yospinion on the lgpl

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its fine for libraries, even though the l actually stands for 'lesser'

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I will never not think RMS stands for root-mean-square

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

rms is a Pure Perfect Boy and i will not have the 'pos denigrate him

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also with so many things moving into my butt the distinction between gpl and mit is academic for an increasing number of projects

lmao forever @ the agpl

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

comedyblissoption posted:

rms is a Pure Perfect Boy and i will not have the 'pos denigrate him
~tender embraces~

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

modern open source is largely driven by the fact that the people who actually write the code are personally interested in making it so. either they want the prestige of running a well known oss project, or it's part of their moral code like the rms types, whatever. so they ask the boss if they can open source some library that the company has no interest in selling anyway. company figures they'll get some free exposure on their tech blog from the release, and they'd rather the programmer who probably spent his weekends writing the thing not defect to googamafacesoft, so they let him do it. win win

i don't see anything wrong with this picture

open source benefits everyone involved, that's why it's a thing

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the more the code I write helps other people build things they release, the more I get back out of it. It's investing in the ecosystem you make use of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

having a public display of your bad code beats out needing to do more bullshit in your spare time or dumb coding puzzles just to get to a second or third stage interview

• Locked thread