Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Noah Caldwell-Gervais has two new videos one on the Ghostbusters sequels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQjgDiz8N1c
and one on Jalopy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcDAjTBfcA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

LFK posted:

Dan Olson thought the editing of Suicide Squad was "shockingly awful" and almost as bad as The Last Airbender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QOrv9jY8Bs

Lindsay's Loose Canon on 9/11 is also up for everyone now

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbH72rWAhQ
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waL2lJVbAf4

why does she pronounce it PO-KEY-MON

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Phelous's did a Good Times Little Mermaid review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdj1tbhcthA

Now let's all take the time to share our thoughts on how mermaids reproduce.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
The females lay a clutch of eggs on the under side of a rock and the males come along and jizz in the general direction.

Duh.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

LFK posted:

The females lay a clutch of eggs on the under side of a rock and the males come along and jizz in the general direction.

Duh.

But they also breathe air (sometimes) and have breasts so does that make them mammals? If they reproduce like that then they'd probably go at it like porpoises.

Then again they have scales on their fins which is a fish trait.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

MrSlam posted:

But they also breathe air (sometimes) and have breasts so does that make them mammals? If they reproduce like that then they'd probably go at it like porpoises.

Then again they have scales on their fins which is a fish trait.

Nah, the tits are just to help them lure stupid sailors into the ocean because they eat them. It's like butterflies with "eyes" on their wings.

Edit: just to keep it vaguely relevant to the thread, there was a Polish mermaid musical https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI_p-0-yNKo

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

LFK posted:

Dan Olson thought the editing of Suicide Squad was "shockingly awful" and almost as bad as The Last Airbender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QOrv9jY8Bs

I just came back from this. I actually liked this movie. It's just fun. If you go at it as just an action movie its good

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Tired Moritz posted:

why does she pronounce it PO-KEY-MON

One of two reasons:

1) She worked for the company that made the cartoon. She knows better than you.
2) She knows how to pronounce it, and is intentionally doing that to piss you off.

Either way, go Lindsay!

(Eye teration)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BigRed0427 posted:

I just came back from this. I actually liked this movie. It's just fun. If you go at it as just an action movie its good

I don't understand this sentiment. Action movies aren't poorly made by virtue of the genre, or something. An action movie doesn't forgo good filmmaking techniques like editing and camera placement. In fact, they're a pretty huge part of what makes a great action movie work.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

lornekates posted:

One of two reasons:

2) She knows how to pronounce it, and is intentionally doing that to piss you off.

Either way, go Lindsay!

(Eye teration)

wait details? this is the first i heard of this.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I thought the action scenes were the lowest points, and the movie plays better as a showcase for the cast, who play off each other really well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jai Courtney, who plays Boomerang in next month's Suicide Squad movie, has revealed the extreme actions he took to prepare for the role.

Speaking to Empire (and reported by Yahoo), Courtney revealed that he once took mushrooms before a Skype call with director David Ayer and proceeded to self harm using a cigarette.

"I would listen to Slipknot. On repeat. At a dangerously high volume," Jai Courtney confided to Entertainment Weekly. "I went to some pretty dark places for the role."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alaois posted:

Jai Courtney, who plays Boomerang in next month's Suicide Squad movie, has revealed the extreme actions he took to prepare for the role.

Speaking to Empire (and reported by Yahoo), Courtney revealed that he once took mushrooms before a Skype call with director David Ayer and proceeded to self harm using a cigarette.

"I would listen to Slipknot. On repeat. At a dangerously high volume," Jai Courtney confided to Entertainment Weekly. "I went to some pretty dark places for the role."

This and the Jared Leto stories really seem like a modern version of those William Castle gimmicks about giving your family a free car if you have a heart attack during the Grasping Maw In Spectrovision, in theaters now!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Alaois posted:

Oh my god that's adorable, I don't know if they could try any harder to make this film edgy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I found Suicide Squad to be passable, I can say that I was at least somewhat entertained. But the editing is indeed quite awful. A lot of post-production was done to change the tone of the movie and it came out rather uneven. The licensed music was fun and all but boy did they just spam it scene after scene, probably to liven up scenes they felt were dull. Some really lovely filters were used now and then to add a "manic" flavor to things. One scene with captions had them half-cut off by the bottom of the screen. A couple had a lot of captions show up together and then fly off too quickly to read. The action scenes have a good few weird moments of skipping forward in continuity, where two shots just aren't linked together well at all. The overall structure of the movie is just really weird, it really seems like it's being pulled in 3 or 4 different directions at once.

It still had some cool visuals though, the actors did solid jobs with their characters, overall pretty okay.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Testekill posted:

Oh my god that's adorable, I don't know if they could try any harder to make this film edgy.

Seriously, is this advertising thing actually working out? I can only roll my eyes at announcements like this or the one saying they have to have on set therapist cause the movie was just TOO DARK and not want to see it on principle.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn't think it was all that extreme in terms of dark edginess. There's violence but not as intense as what you would see in an X-Men movie, you know one of the weirdly graphic and shocking moments those films have. They kinda sorta go to weird "psychological" places at a few points I guess? It feels more like an afterthought than anything.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alaois posted:

The cast requested copies of Overwatch, but Leto made sure they got Battleborn instead. Truly a depraved individual.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

LFK posted:

Lindsay's Loose Canon on 9/11 is also up for everyone now

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbH72rWAhQ
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waL2lJVbAf4

Well that's the first time I've heard Alan Jackson called bro country

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Terrible Opinions posted:

The cast requested copies of Overwatch, but Leto made sure they got Battleborn instead. Truly a depraved individual.

a fate worse then death.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Truly history's greatest monster

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Battleborn's biggest mistake was trying to be like the dota/lol scenario to Overwatch. Where both games have enough differences and a dedicated community to sustain themselves. What they ended up being is part of countless dota/league clones that died fast and hard.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Annointed posted:

Battleborn's biggest mistake was trying to be like the dota/lol scenario to Overwatch. Where both games have enough differences and a dedicated community to sustain themselves. What they ended up being is part of countless dota/league clones that died fast and hard.

making a moba today is like making a MMO for the sole reason to kill wow. it will end badly or it will end up like wildstar, a running joke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kyle, have you done any videos on Greek drama, ala Aeschylus?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Battleborn's biggest mistake was being bad.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cyron posted:

making a moba today is like making a MMO for the sole reason to kill wow. it will end badly or it will end up like wildstar, a running joke.

When will companies learn they can't outmuscle Blizzard on certain things? Like they dominate the RTS scene, the hero pvp shooter scene , and the mmo scene.

Every game that has managed to find well amounts of success in these genres either had a long established history like DotA, offer a different style of strategy like Rainbow Six; Siege, or is simply has a different genre than just "mmo" like Ragnarok Online and GW 2.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Saturday's video is a look at the second volume of the Trigun manga, which includes the conclusion to the sand steamer story, the entirety of the "Meryl and Milly protect a farm" story and the introduction of Legato. I also spend some time exploring how the Western genre was introduced to mainstream Japanese culture.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poparena posted:

Saturday's video is a look at the second volume of the Trigun manga, which includes the conclusion to the sand steamer story, the entirety of the "Meryl and Milly protect a farm" story and the introduction of Legato. I also spend some time exploring how the Western genre was introduced to mainstream Japanese culture.

In the same general vein, a lot of sci-fi anime from the late 80's/early 90's can be traced back to Blade Runner.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

If it wasn't Blade Runner it was probably Mad Max or Alien, the same was true of Italian live action sci fi too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baka-nin posted:

If it wasn't Blade Runner it was probably Mad Max or Alien, the same was true of Italian live action sci fi too.

Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation series too, believe it or not.

Also if you ever want to see a wholesale anime cribbing of Alien, check out the movie "Lily C.A.T."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

lornekates posted:

One of two reasons:

Either way, go Lindsay!

(Eye teration)

The weird thing is later she said Pokemon Go and she pronounce it correctly. OOooh, I see what you did there.

Other than that, it's well worth the wait. I got reminded that Bollywood is amazing again.

Cyron posted:

I think she worked for the dubbing company of Pokemon for a bit.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 6, 2016

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I hope everyone here doesn't need me to point out that Suicide Squad is a critique of the Avengers.

At least, the comics were. I haven't seen the SS movie yet but the late-eighties comics would openly riff on Marvel's big team, what with the American government attempting to create a clandestine organisation of people with superpowers that have to answer to them. Run, of course, by an iron-fisted government agent called Nick Fury Amanda Waller. The difference is that Waller is far more explicitly an antagonist than Fury, who the story treats like a good guy for some unknown reason even as he commits war crimes. The focus for the SS is often to escape from being pressed into service against their will and made to do hosed up stuff in the name of America, the circumstances they're dropped into being vestigial to this real threat. Suicide Squad's overall point, summed up in a sentence, would be 'why isn't Captain America punching Nick Fury in his loving face?' They're very good comics because they grasp the inefficiencies of the american-supremacist superhero narrative.

I am yet to see it but based on reading reviews I believe lots of criticisms of the writing and pacing problems are the story's (possibly ham-fisted) attempt to openly mock the plot beats of Avengers, but that might be me being hopeful. I wish CCH Pounder was Waller. People say she's too old but her age is classified so how would you know that.

Also the later SS comics are garbo. You might have noticed they've slowly altered Waller to be a generic sexy comicbook lady. Instead of you know, a no-nonsense villain who actively literally objectifies the main characters. That's a really great indicator of the backslide in comics.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 6, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

When I get home I wanna do a effort post on why I think Suicide Squad work and Batman V Superman doesn't. But the short version is that at no point in this movie are we concerned with telling the definitive version of these characters. There's no need to try and be "Iconic" and up our own rear end about trying to make an important movie.

Also this is your monthly reminder that some really awesome things are being done with comics outside Marvel and DC. Go find them.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Also the later SS comics are garbo. You might have noticed they've slowly altered Waller to be a generic sexy comicbook lady. Instead of you know, a no-nonsense villain who actively literally objectifies the main characters. That's a really great indicator of the backslide in comics.

good news! they just reversed that!

(from Suicide Squad Rebirth #1, by Philip Tan and Rob Williams)

also, it does start with the tacit admission that the Suicide Squad are just America-sponsored terrorists. It's okay comics!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cyron posted:

A few years ago, she worked with TPCI on the dub. Don't know specifically in what capacity, because she wasn't at liberty to tell.

It should be known that TPCI (The Pokemon Company International) is an in-house dub, unlike the 4kids dub. It should also be known that nowadays they seem to alternate between po-key-mon and po-keh-mon seemingly randomly.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Hbomberguy posted:

Amanda Waller as a character was such a bad rear end in the DCAU. The idea of a civvie who wasn't an impossible genius with a giant nest-egg like Luthor or Batman. She was instead a run-of-the-mill genius who earned her diploma late in life and became the most dangerous politician putting sanctions on gods through her cunning and sheer willpower. She felt like a force of nature every hero had to deal with, not a hero or a villain, just a person. That's not even getting into her role in the actual comics where I'm sure she's twice the bad rear end.

Then they turned her into a young sexy guns akimbo assassin super spy and I wondered what lovely backwards things were said at the meeting where that decision was made. I hope they treat her role well in the movie. I'd have gone with CCH Pounder for her role on The Shield where there were a lot of similar themes to Suicide Squad.

ElNarez posted:

good news! they just reversed that!

(from Suicide Squad Rebirth #1, by Philip Tan and Rob Williams)
also, it does start with the tacit admission that the Suicide Squad are just America-sponsored terrorists. It's okay comics!

Oh thank heavens

What I'm trying to say is, Amanda Waller for President, 2016

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 6, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Actually, I like that Amanda Waller has killed a lot of people. Waller 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is pretty clear that suicide squad lampoons superhero teams in general, not just avengers. The team with zero accountability versus a government wet works team with the illusion of accountability

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Actually, I like that Amanda Waller has killed a lot of people. Waller 2016
America would never elect a war crimi- oh gently caress I'm doing social commentary arent I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7XWDKKKDRg
I bought a dryer lint portrait of Dean Stockwell

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 6, 2016

• Locked thread