Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Also, all the different law enforcement agencies hate each other. "The FBI wants to take this case off our hands? Over my dead body! Oh, they want us to work together because they value the work we've done so far and our knowledge of the case? Well, gently caress those guys!"

I like to believe those "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screens on arcade games from the FBI were put there as a subtle "drugs are stupid CIA poo poo" kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can say with some authority that that behaviour does exist but typically just with glory hogs that everyone hates.

Law enforcement/federal agency cooperation has never been higher.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

I like to believe those "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screens on arcade games from the FBI were put there as a subtle "drugs are stupid CIA poo poo" kinda thing.

What are your thoughts on "Bad Dudes"?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's funny watching The Wire where the cops would love nothing more than for the FBI or some government agency to step in and lend help.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

What are your thoughts on "Bad Dudes"?

let's go for a burger

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm watching Scream on Netflix right now, and I'm Episode 4. I don't think I can continue watching so many people in such a dumb town do such stupid things. If it's an evolution of the movie, then there would be a sort of evolution of the tropes in horror and stuff, but it's not even cliches or tropes or anything like that, it's just a bunch of incredibly stupid people in impossible situations.

The fact that the main girl takes so loving long to figure out what role her mother had in the past, for example, is just the dumbest thing. It's like it's supposed to be a big revelation when she figures out her mother was the guy Brandon was obsessed with, except that since the very first episode the viewers know this.

In the third episode someone dies (I mean someone dies in every episode but anyway). She's in a loving police station when she gets a message to come outside which, unbelievably, she follows (this is after two murders btw and the knowledge that there's a killer running around). She screams for help and no one answers because, apparently, police are beyond useless and god help anyone in the town if there's an actual emergency.

Also apparently the killer is omnipotent and knows literally everything about everyone. Maybe there's a reason for this that isn't explained, but no one questions it.

It's so stupid, everyone is idiotic, and it's not because they're poking fun at the genre, it's just terrible.

Edit: A hidden executable inside of the only file pulled that will magically upload it to ??????? and let everyone see it nope I'm done this is the dumbest poo poo I've ever watched.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Aug 5, 2016

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Re: Government agencies in movies

I know it's to create more tension and drama, but movies always paint the government as some well-oiled, efficient machine with competent badasses that have immediate access to information and are quick to respond. Where are all the other government employees? Like the barely literate high school dropouts that started as a secretary and inexplicably rose to manager level, idly looking busy until the next paycheck. Or the scenes with "Where's that report on this case?", "The other office shipped it last week, it's being processed so expect it sometime next month with a million staples and date stamps for two pages"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
It's one of the many cop shows out there, but I remember a scene where the detectives and some general cops (I do remember the guy who played Tuco on Breaking Bad is in it) are surrounding a perp and screaming at him that they need the info right now or cops are gonna die, you don't want a lawyer you need to tell us right now or you'll get the electric chair! The perp asks for a lawyer, and they all scream at him again he doesn't need a lawyer, he needs to talk to them or they'll see he fries for this.

And the dude always cracks and then off they race to solve the case. Sorry, but if cops are screaming that you don't need a lawyer, you pull a Better Call Saul and only say the word "lawyer" until yours arrives.

Lawyers are always seen as clearly out to protect evil people. Good people never need lawyers and the cops always have the right guy!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's funny watching The Wire where the cops would love nothing more than for the FBI or some government agency to step in and lend help.

That's why I love the one shot (season 2 I think) where the FBI guys come to help out, and as they walk in the door the cops and FBI all stand on opposite ends of the room staring each other down for a few seconds, clearly building to where in any other show they would start arguing, only to instead start laughing and shaking hands.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's one of the many cop shows out there, but I remember a scene where the detectives and some general cops (I do remember the guy who played Tuco on Breaking Bad is in it) are surrounding a perp and screaming at him that they need the info right now or cops are gonna die, you don't want a lawyer you need to tell us right now or you'll get the electric chair! The perp asks for a lawyer, and they all scream at him again he doesn't need a lawyer, he needs to talk to them or they'll see he fries for this.

And the dude always cracks and then off they race to solve the case. Sorry, but if cops are screaming that you don't need a lawyer, you pull a Better Call Saul and only say the word "lawyer" until yours arrives.

Lawyers are always seen as clearly out to protect evil people. Good people never need lawyers and the cops always have the right guy!

This is why I never watched 24.

And why I'm glad Antonin Scalia is dead, since he cited it as an influence in his decisions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

24 is super fun. Jack Bauer gets addicted to heroin in season 3 and then kicks it through sheer willpower in a couple hours.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

24 is super fun. Jack Bauer gets addicted to heroin in season 3 and then kicks it through sheer willpower in a couple hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aI9-g_n_OE

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In the new Borne movie it apparently is normal for the director of the CIA to go to TED talks and debate privacy/ security policies with social media developers.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mu Zeta posted:

People always bring this up but it's not really true. At one point someone (his Mexican ex, I think) gives him a few pills to counteract his withdrawal symptoms but she mentions that they'll only last a few hours or so, which of course lasts until the end of the season. I always assumed that he actually kicked it in the couple of years until the next season started.

:goonsay:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's all very well to say, but in real life people often don't insist on a lawyer and the police do get away with intimidating/extorting/tricking people into confessing (sometimes to things they actually did, sometimes not).

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's definitely a thing in Law & Order; defence lawyers are all evil/amoral scum trying to help criminals get away with their crimes, because the cops are never wrong and the trial is just some bullshit hoops you have to jump through to see justice done. Prosecutors are fine though, as long as they agree with the police 100% of the time. If they start talking about how they can't win this case because there's not enough evidence or the police did something wrong then they're almost as bad as the defence lawyers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

That's all very well to say, but in real life people often don't insist on a lawyer and the police do get away with intimidating/extorting/tricking people into confessing (sometimes to things they actually did, sometimes not).

That's definitely a thing in Law & Order; defence lawyers are all evil/amoral scum trying to help criminals get away with their crimes, because the cops are never wrong and the trial is just some bullshit hoops you have to jump through to see justice done. Prosecutors are fine though, as long as they agree with the police 100% of the time. If they start talking about how they can't win this case because there's not enough evidence or the police did something wrong then they're almost as bad as the defence lawyers.

We need L&O:MIT (mentally ill in texas)

Did you rape and murder this woman?

Uh, yes?

:doink:

Cut to the gas chamber

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr_Amazing posted:

In the new Borne movie it apparently is normal for the director of the CIA to go to TED talks and debate privacy/ security policies with social media developers.

I love the Bourne movies.

This was not a good Bourne movie :sigh:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

It's the worst in SVU. It's gotten to the point where I'm expecting next season to have a lawyer scream and curse at a molestation victim while the judge allows it and the prosecution looks on in horror.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tiggum posted:

Earlier seasons of L&O were much better at portraying this sort of thing. There's a fourth season episode with James Earl Jones as a defense lawyer for a white supremacist and the cops are taken to task several times for moving forward on circumstantial evidence and conducting a witch hunt, to the point that the dude is released on lower bail.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Isn't every Bourne movie basically the same thing? Amnesiac dude who is perfectly fine living his life suddenly having people try to kill him, and now he's gotta go wreak vengeance against (insert shadow agency name) because they keep loving with him!

You'd figure after at least 2 movies they'd be like "Is he just chilling at the cafe? gently caress it, either get a sniper in to put one in his head from a mile away or just leave him alone. I enjoy having bowel control and the ability to move my legs."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never understood why the CIA used so many foreigners as assassins in the Bourne movies. In the first movie they have British guys and French guys doing a bunch of dirty work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mu Zeta posted:

I never understood why the CIA used so many foreigners as assassins in the Bourne movies. In the first movie they have British guys and French guys doing a bunch of dirty work.

Most intelligence agencies will use local assets where they can. They blend in better, have more local knowledge, don't have to be infiltrated because they're already there and can't be directly traced back to the country they're working for.

An irrational moment from Guardians of the Galaxy: "We are Groot". The running joke of Groot's people is that they have a full language just like every other species, but human ears can only interpret the sounds as "I am Groot".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not in the movie.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like to think that Groot was so intelligent he knew what he sounded like to the others and purposely said something that would be heard as "We Are Groot" to them. In reality he was tenderly saying "I boiled my socks and created a sauce."

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love SVU but Stabler is beating the poo poo out of people and saying he will literally murder them and then the squad acts like IAB are over reacting for saying he should maybe get another assignment.

I like the episode where Stabler stalks a rehabilitated child molester, poking and prodding him about "boy those under girls sure are sexy wink wink nudge nudge" until the guy finally snaps and kidnaps a kid. The guy ends up dead. Happy ending for everybody, good job team!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Schubalts posted:

I like the episode where Stabler stalks a rehabilitated child molester, poking and prodding him about "boy those under girls sure are sexy wink wink nudge nudge" until the guy finally snaps and kidnaps a kid. The guy ends up dead. Happy ending for everybody, good job team!

There's a similar episode of the main series with McCoy tormenting a guy who just got out of prison after doing like 20 years for rape (including getting him fired and arresting him pretty much daily) until he snaps under the pressure and tries raping a woman and she kills him.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You'd figure after at least 2 movies they'd be like "Is he just chilling at the cafe? gently caress it, either get a sniper in to put one in his head from a mile away or just leave him alone. I enjoy having bowel control and the ability to move my legs."

They tried the sniper thing in the second movie. The sniper accidentally took out his girlfriend instead.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Polaron posted:

They tried the sniper thing in the second movie. The sniper accidentally took out his girlfriend instead.

Because the sniper inexplicably takes the shot while they are driving instead of like, when Bourne is taking a dump or sitting outside at a cafe.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Don't phone post on dodgy 3G

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Aug 6, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Biplane posted:

Because the sniper inexplicably takes the shot while they are driving instead of like, when Bourne is taking a dump or sitting outside at a cafe.

Then they should have used an RPG. And if that doesn't work, drop a hellfire missile on him. Use increasingly larger explosives to secure the kill, until you basically recreate the climax of Heretics of Dune.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Isn't every Bourne movie basically the same thing? Amnesiac dude who is perfectly fine living his life suddenly having people try to kill him, and now he's gotta go wreak vengeance against (insert shadow agency name) because they keep loving with him!

This one actually starts with Borne's girlfriend hacking the CIA and bringing files to him. So everyone was kind of committed at that point.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
After sitting through Suicide Squad the other day it reminded me of something: no super prison cell ever has a toilet, or sink or anything. The worst kind are the ones that are just cages in a square, although Diablo's pipe is possibly the single worst. The CW DC shows are the same, apparently if you have superpowers you don't poo poo.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Or they just make them dook on the floor and hose that poo poo off. Supermaxes don't gently caress around. And I mean Killer Croc for one lived in a goddamn pseudo-sewer.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why is Killer Croc locked up in an criminal asylum instead of a government facilty in the stories where he's a massive super-mutant?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why is Killer Croc locked up in an criminal asylum instead of a government facilty in the stories where he's a massive super-mutant?

Because if he was in a government facility he couldn't just keep escaping and give Batman a reason to keep existing.

Fan theory: Batman is the one who secretly engineers that 1) Criminals go to Arkham and 2) Arkham always remains a shithole so that it can both create new villains for him to catch and fail to secure existing ones, allowing him to play superhero forever..

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Slime posted:

Because if he was in a government facility he couldn't just keep escaping and give Batman a reason to keep existing.

Fan theory: Batman is the one who secretly engineers that 1) Criminals go to Arkham and 2) Arkham always remains a shithole so that it can both create new villains for him to catch and fail to secure existing ones, allowing him to play superhero forever..

I'm pretty sure there's at least one comic that does that exactly.

EDIT:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Basically every version of Batman's psyche has been explored in one way or another. People like to be clever and point out he could do more good with his money than running around in a bat suit fighting crime but the comics even address that.

Basically if you ever think "It'd be cool if..." simply due to the sheer volume of batman stories out there, chances are it does exist in some fashion. Personally I really liked batman frankenstein.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Aug 7, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Basically every version of Batman's psyche has been explored in one way or another. People like to be clever and point out he could do more good with his money than running around in a bat suit fighting crime but the comics even address that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

RagnarokAngel posted:

People like to be clever and point out he could do more good with his money than running around in a bat suit fighting crime but the comics even address that.

"But I wanna punch people!!!"
/

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

sunday brunch posted:

After sitting through Suicide Squad the other day it reminded me of something: no super prison cell ever has a toilet, or sink or anything. The worst kind are the ones that are just cages in a square, although Diablo's pipe is possibly the single worst. The CW DC shows are the same, apparently if you have superpowers you don't poo poo.

With the exception of Silence of the Lambs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Another Jessica Jones one:

At one point in a flashback a young Jessica is playing a Gameboy and her brother keeps pestering her to give it to him. She gets angry and throws it at the car window and it smashes.

I call bullshit. Gameboys were practically indestructible. Even if she DID have her super-strength at that point (and she didn't), I have my doubts she could have broken one.