Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

jiggerypokery posted:

Hello thread.

I now have more money than I know what to do with. Help me solve the latter problem?

Background: 25 y/o, well paid job (saving stupid amounts each month) embarrassed to say most of it is going into an ISA which, at 0.5%, is just a bad way to keep money (we have crazy high ISA limits in the UK now). I own a house, I have student debt (the interest rate is 0.9% I believe).

Needless to say, I would be better paying off the debt than keeping it all in the ISA, but presumably there are many many things that consistently do better than 0.9% APR (looking at you, tracker funds).

Given that I wouldn't even know where to being finding a stock broker (I signed up for https://www.ig.com having seen they have the lowest broker fees in the UK only to find that their products seem to be thinly veiled, white-coller sports gambling equivalent, and no sign of actual stock brokerage) what do you guys recommend? Pay off the debt, or dig around for a solution that beats the return on it?

How much is the debt? Do you own the house outright or do you have a mortgage, and if so, what is the size and interest rate? How much do you have in non-emergency-fund savings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

If your debt is at 0.9% you should never do anything other than pay the minimum

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Quick question on cards and balance transfers.

I have a BankAmericard with outrageous interest but I mostly just use it as my every day card and pay it off to $0 each month and then cash in the rewards each month for free money so I've never had an interest charge. It has a $2500 limit.

I have a Chase Freedom with $5600 in debt on it. I've been paying it down super fast (it was over $10k a year ago).

I have a 0% balance transfer offer on the Bank Americard. I can easily cover the $2500 ($2400 + 3% transfer fee) in the time alotted (I'm in a much better position than when I racked up the debt) so I plan on taking the offer. My questions are thus:

If I put $2400+$70 on a card with a $2500 max, will that ding my credit score?

If I basically max out the Americard, that means I can't really use it as my daily anymore. Can I use the Chase card?

For instance, if I have a $5600 balance on the chase and I spend $400 on it this month, and I pay off that $400 at the end of the month (plus whatever payment I make on the balance), will I get charged interest on the $400+$5600? Or just the $5600? I tried to ask the bank but this part is all confusing to me. From what I gather, any time there's a balance, there's no 'grace' period on the $400 and the interest is calculated on the daily balance regardless of when a charge was added to that balance.

I'm totally fine just paying everything out of my checking but figured I'd ask.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

tyler is a joke posted:

Quick question on cards and balance transfers.

I have a BankAmericard with outrageous interest but I mostly just use it as my every day card and pay it off to $0 each month and then cash in the rewards each month for free money so I've never had an interest charge. It has a $2500 limit.

I have a Chase Freedom with $5600 in debt on it. I've been paying it down super fast (it was over $10k a year ago).

I have a 0% balance transfer offer on the Bank Americard. I can easily cover the $2500 ($2400 + 3% transfer fee) in the time alotted (I'm in a much better position than when I racked up the debt) so I plan on taking the offer. My questions are thus:

If I put $2400+$70 on a card with a $2500 max, will that ding my credit score?

If I basically max out the Americard, that means I can't really use it as my daily anymore. Can I use the Chase card?

For instance, if I have a $5600 balance on the chase and I spend $400 on it this month, and I pay off that $400 at the end of the month (plus whatever payment I make on the balance), will I get charged interest on the $400+$5600? Or just the $5600? I tried to ask the bank but this part is all confusing to me. From what I gather, any time there's a balance, there's no 'grace' period on the $400 and the interest is calculated on the daily balance regardless of when a charge was added to that balance.

I'm totally fine just paying everything out of my checking but figured I'd ask.

It might ding your credit score, but it's temporary and will go away when you pay it off. Unless there's a reason you'll be needing your credit score in the time it takes to pay it off, don't worry about it (see thread title).

You cannot use the Chase card as your daily. You will be charged interest.

EDIT: Make sure you're doing the math as to whether you'll save enough interest to cover the balance transfer fee (and some extra for the hassle/risk of it going wrong). If you're really paying it very quickly, it might not help.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

It might ding your credit score, but it's temporary and will go away when you pay it off. Unless there's a reason you'll be needing your credit score in the time it takes to pay it off, don't worry about it (see thread title).
How would it ding his score if he's just transferring balances? As far as I know (and I could be wrong) the score is only affected by overall utilization ratio across all available revolving credit. Transferring balances form one card to another wouldn't change that overall ratio.

I suppose your score might individually evaluate the ratio of each card and ding you accordingly, but I don't think that's the case.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think utilization is calculated on your entire credit, otherwise someone with tens of thousands in credit lines could tank their rating by putting a purchase on a low-limit card, and while credit is dumb I don't think its that dumb.

I mean the real answer here is not to worry about what happens to your immediate score unless you are planning on needing it imminently for something, and to focus on what is the best way to dispose of your debt. I agree with Grumpwagon that you should you check the math, because if you've already brought this down from 10k to 5.6k in under a year, then you should be able to polish it off soon enough that you might not be making much in savings.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I just heard about Robin Hood today. Lets you invest with a small initial amount of money and no trade fees. Anyone use this? Is it good, bad, stupid, a scam?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's no scam. Word from the stock picking thread when it launched a couple years ago was that trades execute very slowly, but it does work as it promises.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

As far as I know Robin Hood mostly works as advertised, but there is supposedly some behind-the-scenes screwiness with the speed and order of execution of trades, which is where they make their money. But you shouldn't ever be placing market orders anyway, and if you use limit orders it's kind of not a problem.

That said, don't even bother with Robin Hood unless you've already got your tax-advantaged savings maxed out and in balanced allocations. It's not investing, it's gambling. If you're already maxing out your IRA and 401k and want to speculate with some fun money then go ahead.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

That said, don't even bother with Robin Hood unless you've already got your tax-advantaged savings maxed out and in balanced allocations. It's not investing, it's gambling. If you're already maxing out your IRA and 401k and want to speculate with some fun money then go ahead.
PredictIt is more fun though.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How would it ding his score if he's just transferring balances? As far as I know (and I could be wrong) the score is only affected by overall utilization ratio across all available revolving credit. Transferring balances form one card to another wouldn't change that overall ratio.

I suppose your score might individually evaluate the ratio of each card and ding you accordingly, but I don't think that's the case.

I very well could be wrong, but I thought I remembered someone coming in here with a low limit card maxed out (but with other high limit cards at ~$0) that was hurting his credit. Maybe it's just the usual FICO gobbledygook explanations being full of poo poo though.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I have an HSA that I barely use but still contribute the maximum value to annually. My company required switching to a new HSA provider and it turns out that I can choose to invest my HSA balance and fortunately it includes Vanguard funds. There are others but I'll stick with Vanguard for now. So here are my options:

VDAIX - Dividend Appreciation Index Investor
VSMAX - Small Cap Index Admiral Class
VTMGX - Developed Market Index
VEMAX - Emerging Markets Stock Index Admiral Class
VFSTX - Short Term Investment Grade
VBLTX - Long-Term Bond Index
VSCGX - LifeStrategy Conservative Growth
VSMGX - LifeStrategy Moderate Growth

Right now my HSA balance is around $25,000 and I invest the full $3,150 annually. So since it is for emergencies, I don't want to be too risky but right now it is in a savings account type setup where I only make 0.05% interest on it so I'd like it to be a little more aggressive. I was thinking mostly VBLTX and VSCGX (I can distribute them how I want) but wanted to get a second opinion.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Last year my Chase card had $23k on it. Today I paid off the last $2500, down to a $0 balance.

Feels good man.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

The Experiment posted:

I have an HSA that I barely use but still contribute the maximum value to annually. My company required switching to a new HSA provider and it turns out that I can choose to invest my HSA balance and fortunately it includes Vanguard funds. There are others but I'll stick with Vanguard for now. So here are my options:

Right now my HSA balance is around $25,000 and I invest the full $3,150 annually. So since it is for emergencies, I don't want to be too risky but right now it is in a savings account type setup where I only make 0.05% interest on it so I'd like it to be a little more aggressive. I was thinking mostly VBLTX and VSCGX (I can distribute them how I want) but wanted to get a second opinion.

I'm jealous, the only Vanguard fund (and the only fund with a good ER) I have available is VTSMX total stock market, which I already have a rollover IRA in.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

gregday posted:

Last year my Chase card had $23k on it. Today I paid off the last $2500, down to a $0 balance.

Feels good man.

Way to go, dude. That's awesome!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

$23k of savings in a single year is super duper good, and that's not counting anything else you did.

By the way, maxing your ROTH IRA and 401k is about $23k.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Hey guys.

I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment.

24 y/o.
59,300.04 in Student Debt. (25,169.39 Wells Fargo at 8.75 APR) (34,130.65 Federal [these are multiple small loans with interest ranging from 3.4-6.8 but I have a consolidated payment plan] )
8,141.96 in my bank account. That is my only asset. No other bonds or etc. I don't own a car, a house, or horse.
Income : 35k a year.

I make roughly 35k a year. This is ambiguous because I work as a server in NYC, some weeks are better some weeks are worse, and also I take home cash tips which I don't declare, then use on groceries and miscellaneous poo poo and promptly forget I ever got it. (I'm recognizing I should keep better track of this money). But I would say I probably made 35k, and as I get more responsibilities and a larger section at my job I can project I might make 40k this year.
Not the job I want to be in ultimately but it is what I do right now.

Monthly expenses:
680 Rent
100 Utilities
116 Public Transport
150 Groceries
____ 1046 base survival expenses

I have just started throwing bigger amounts of money at my loans. I was pretty freaked out my first year being on my own and afraid I would bottom out so I was only doing the minimum payments on both loans. Once I realized I was stable I realized I was capable of putting more towards them. I have recently started paying 800$ to my Wells Fargo, and 200$ towards my Federal.

I graduated from school with a degree in acting. I'm here in NYC pursuing that and art stuff for the time being. I would eventually like to maybe move into a more stable and lucrative career but I'm not quite ready to give up pursuing this for the time being.

That being said I would like to start a retirement account and I would like any guidance and input on being more financially responsible. How much can I safely put into a retirement account? Vangaurd has a minimum of 1k before you can start investing it. Should I hold off on building a retirement account until I conquer my debt?

I'm trying my best but I don't have a lot of guidance from my family or help. I can't move in with my family to save money on rent since my mom is being evicted and there are drug issues.

Anyway... Thanks a bunch! :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

RebBrownies posted:

Hey guys.

I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment.

24 y/o.
59,300.04 in Student Debt. (25,169.39 Wells Fargo at 8.75 APR) (34,130.65 Federal [these are multiple small loans with interest ranging from 3.4-6.8 but I have a consolidated payment plan] )
8,141.96 in my bank account. That is my only asset. No other bonds or etc. I don't own a car, a house, or horse.
Income : 35k a year.

I make roughly 35k a year. This is ambiguous because I work as a server in NYC, some weeks are better some weeks are worse, and also I take home cash tips which I don't declare, then use on groceries and miscellaneous poo poo and promptly forget I ever got it. (I'm recognizing I should keep better track of this money). But I would say I probably made 35k, and as I get more responsibilities and a larger section at my job I can project I might make 40k this year.
Not the job I want to be in ultimately but it is what I do right now.

Monthly expenses:
680 Rent
100 Utilities
116 Public Transport
150 Groceries
____ 1046 base survival expenses

I have just started throwing bigger amounts of money at my loans. I was pretty freaked out my first year being on my own and afraid I would bottom out so I was only doing the minimum payments on both loans. Once I realized I was stable I realized I was capable of putting more towards them. I have recently started paying 800$ to my Wells Fargo, and 200$ towards my Federal.

I graduated from school with a degree in acting. I'm here in NYC pursuing that and art stuff for the time being. I would eventually like to maybe move into a more stable and lucrative career but I'm not quite ready to give up pursuing this for the time being.

That being said I would like to start a retirement account and I would like any guidance and input on being more financially responsible. How much can I safely put into a retirement account? Vangaurd has a minimum of 1k before you can start investing it. Should I hold off on building a retirement account until I conquer my debt?

I'm trying my best but I don't have a lot of guidance from my family or help. I can't move in with my family to save money on rent since my mom is being evicted and there are drug issues.

Anyway... Thanks a bunch! :)

I would say you should probably start your own thread. There's enough going on here that having a separate thread for it would probably benefit you.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The most straightforward advice that you should heed is to pay off that 8.5% debt before investing in anything.

Debt is something like a negative investment with a guaranteed cost. Paying it off is an investment with guaranteed returns.

The stock market had returned an average of ~7% annually across the past thirty years. Your debt is sitting at 8.5%. There is no better investment in your future than paying off that debt.

Your midrange interest (3-7%) stuff has a bit more complicated calculus going into it, but the general feeling is that this is also worth getting rid of before considering investing.

Low interest (less than 3%) are generally worth paying minimums on due to greater returns elsewhere.

Mortgages and Student Loan paid interest can be deducted from your taxable income which slightly complicated the above picture, but the general advice still applies.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Thanks for the input guys! I might start up a thread, but I really appreciate the input! :)

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
Pay your taxes.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

The Experiment posted:

VSCGX Is already 60% bonds so I would probably just go with that, but if you want to be more conservative you can include more bonds in the form of VBLTX.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 16, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm in the scrub leagues of personal finances but thanks to some reading of this forum I've been working more on paying off my student loans and actually budgeting. No debt besides student loan debt. I make around $27k a year.

I'm planning to move cross-country in 14 months. I have $1200 in savings for this so far, and am adding between $70-$100 a month. Right now, that $1200 is just kind of hanging out in my savings account. I get a 0.15% APY on that.

I know I can do better, but ... should I put that money into a 12-month CD? A money market account? High-yield online savings account somewhere? Some other financial product? I know I won't double my money or anything but every little bit helps. A lot of places only seem to give good rates if you invest over $5k, or $10k, or whatever, which I cannot do.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Let me know if you need any other details. Cheers, BFC!

Keep that money as liquid as possible. It's the start of your emergency fund. You'll also likely need some cash for your move. That means savings account/money market. I wouldn't bother with a CD unless you find something that's significantly better than the 1% you can get from some place like Ally.

If you want, you can open an online savings account to get the 1%. It's not a huge difference, but as you get more money in there, it will add up eventually. I use and like Ally, but there are a bunch of banks that will give you ~1% on your savings.

No debt besides student loans and some savings -- you're doing good. Keep up the savings, keep paying down those loans. If you have a 401k match at work, consider taking advantage of that (depending on how big and how high the interest rates are on your loans). The thing that will really help you is increasing your income, but you're doing well already.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Liquid just means 'available' right? That makes sense then. Most of the CDs I've seen available to me wouldn't give much more than 1.3% at the highest, which doesn't seem like a big enough difference at scrub tier.

My current job, despite the low pay, is real great in terms of stress levels, PTO, health coverage, etc, so I'm not planning to leave it until I move. Once I do, with my skills/experience, I should hopefully be able to leverage my way into a much better paying job in the same industry. There's also more jobs in said industry where I'm going!

Yep, liquid means you can get to it in a day or two and that you don't pay a penalty to do so. I'd call CDs semi-liquid, because you can usually get to them quickly, and the penalty isn't too bad usually. I personally wouldn't use a CD when the rate difference is ~.3% from an online savings account, because I'm lazy (and if you need the money, the penalty will wipe out that extra .3% pretty quickly), but some people like to squeeze out every last cent. I do use an online savings account though. It's an easy way to get another .85% interest. If you felt like it, that wouldn't be a terrible idea, but it's certainly not make or break if you're happy with where your savings is now, or if you're able to avoid fees at your current bank with it there.

Agreed on your second point, with the move coming up so soon-ish, I wouldn't look for a new job where you are now either. You're doing fine as is, I just wanted to mention that you seem to be pretty optimized otherwise, that would be the next step. Be sure to visit the negotiation thread here when you're getting ready to start looking for new jobs. It has made me literally 10s of thousands of dollars that I probably wouldn't have asked for otherwise. If your career is one where LinkedIn is used frequently, the OP of that thread helped me find my current job extremely easily as well.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 6, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hi A Tin of Beans :wave:

In addition to everything Grumpwagon said, just want to say good job on saving what you're saving at that salary level. Once you get that new higher paying job you're going to want to bump that rate up, but in the meantime be proud of yourself for saving more (percentage or even straight up amount) than lots of people who earn more than you do.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

asur posted:

VSCGX Is already 60% bonds so I would probably just go with that, but if you want to be more conservative you can include more bonds in the form of VBLTX.

Thank you. I decided to put 50% in VSCGX, 35% in VSMGX, and 15% in VBLTX.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think I first posted in here 3 or 4 years ago.

Last week I finally paid off my 2nd car, only debt I have remaining is student debt. Which I'll kill with a 10 year IBR (thank god my wife's new job is government).

So thanks to everyone who posts good advice here, I wasn't perfect, I had one slip up where I had about $5k on a credit card (paid it off before the no interest period ended), but honestly, got better advice here on finances than anywhere else. So thanks everyone.

So I guess the only thing left is figuring out what horse I should buy now that I don't have car payments?

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I have a variety of debt's that I'm working to pay off right now, ranging from credit cards to a mortgage. I have ~$600 a month available to me currently (plus whatever I free up from clearing debts) that I can either throw at debt, or throw into retirement accounts (I'm already putting enough into my 401k to get the full match offered by my employer).

My question is, what debts make sense to try and pay off aggressively and which ones make sense to just pay the minimum payments on due to the interest rates.

My Debts:

* A couple grand in a variety of credit cards, these are obviously high interest rates since they're CC's and are the first thing I'm hitting to pay down which should take me a few months.
* A 401k loan at 4.25%, this interest rate I'm not sure about, but I'm going to pay this off second anyways because I don't want to hold a loan in my 401k where that money should be working to grow _and_ because of the unfavorable affect losing or leaving my job would have.
* A car loan at 3.35%-- here is one that I'm most on the fence about. Does it make sense to try and aggressively pay off this loan at it's interest rate, or should I just pay the minimums and save the money I would use to pay this down?
* A HELOC at 4.49%, this one is higher but I'm unlikely to be able to pay it off anytime soon since it's got a $70k balance, in the future I may try to refinance this into my mortgage but for now it's separate.
* A Mortgage at 4.5%, like the HELOC, it's a higher interest rate than the car loan, but I'm unlikely to be able to pay it off anytime soon since it has a ~300k balance. In a few years if interest rates are favorable I may try to refinance it.

So really it boils down to, does CC then 401k sound like the right path to go here, and should I leave the car loan at minimums or should I aggressively pay it down?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I have a variety of debt's that I'm working to pay off right now, ranging from credit cards to a mortgage. I have ~$600 a month available to me currently (plus whatever I free up from clearing debts) that I can either throw at debt, or throw into retirement accounts (I'm already putting enough into my 401k to get the full match offered by my employer).

My question is, what debts make sense to try and pay off aggressively and which ones make sense to just pay the minimum payments on due to the interest rates.

My Debts:

* A couple grand in a variety of credit cards, these are obviously high interest rates since they're CC's and are the first thing I'm hitting to pay down which should take me a few months.
* A 401k loan at 4.25%, this interest rate I'm not sure about, but I'm going to pay this off second anyways because I don't want to hold a loan in my 401k where that money should be working to grow _and_ because of the unfavorable affect losing or leaving my job would have.
* A car loan at 3.35%-- here is one that I'm most on the fence about. Does it make sense to try and aggressively pay off this loan at it's interest rate, or should I just pay the minimums and save the money I would use to pay this down?
* A HELOC at 4.49%, this one is higher but I'm unlikely to be able to pay it off anytime soon since it's got a $70k balance, in the future I may try to refinance this into my mortgage but for now it's separate.
* A Mortgage at 4.5%, like the HELOC, it's a higher interest rate than the car loan, but I'm unlikely to be able to pay it off anytime soon since it has a ~300k balance. In a few years if interest rates are favorable I may try to refinance it.

So really it boils down to, does CC then 401k sound like the right path to go here, and should I leave the car loan at minimums or should I aggressively pay it down?

Definitely kill off the credit card debt and 401K loans aggressively (and in that order). After that, the car loan rate is low enough that I would do something else with that money (either HELOC or retirement savings).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Steampunk Hitler posted:

My Debts:

Yes. Clear the CC and then 401k, and then reassess. I would probably tackle the 2nd mortgage after CC/401k so you can refi - those interest rates are horrible.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I am all for delaying payment of low interest debt in order to put money into tax shelters. However, you're not the type of person with a low interest mortgage and maybe a student loan. Given the types of debt that you have: credit card, 401k, HELOC, I have a hard time believing that you are now super financially stable and will have the discipline to manage low interest debt. For someone in your situation, I would recommend paying off all debts asap other than maybe your mortgage.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

potatoducks posted:

I am all for delaying payment of low interest debt in order to put money into tax shelters. However, you're not the type of person with a low interest mortgage and maybe a student loan. Given the types of debt that you have: credit card, 401k, HELOC, I have a hard time believing that you are now super financially stable and will have the discipline to manage low interest debt. For someone in your situation, I would recommend paying off all debts asap other than maybe your mortgage.

I agree with the order of repayment being credit card, and 401k. Credit card and 401k loans are risky debt especially with the consequences if you have a disruption to your income.

The car loan is the lowest interest rate out of everything. Some car loans have no benefit to early payment, and given that the interest rate is lower than anything else you'd be better off putting money into higher interest rate debt. The 401k match is already done so they might as well run with it, provided debt repayment goes to plan.

I am assuming something happened that led to all the debt and the higher interest rate on the mortgage. If it's not job loss or another life event then you may want to look at your expenses and see if there's something you could cut out to increase payments.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Duckman2008 posted:

So I guess the only thing left is figuring out what horse I should buy now that I don't have car payments?

horse

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Devian666 posted:

I agree with the order of repayment being credit card, and 401k. Credit card and 401k loans are risky debt especially with the consequences if you have a disruption to your income.

The car loan is the lowest interest rate out of everything. Some car loans have no benefit to early payment, and given that the interest rate is lower than anything else you'd be better off putting money into higher interest rate debt. The 401k match is already done so they might as well run with it, provided debt repayment goes to plan.

I am assuming something happened that led to all the debt and the higher interest rate on the mortgage. If it's not job loss or another life event then you may want to look at your expenses and see if there's something you could cut out to increase payments.

What happened is basically buying a house before we were quite ready. That was *probably* a mistake, but I don't think a crippling one. We had no debt before we purchased the house, I took out the 401k loan to pay for part of the down payment (I know some will chide me for this, but I planned on doing this because I was looking at either saving more outside of tax advantaged accounts and maybe not using it and losing that space forever, or maxing my 401k and Roth IRA and maybe taking a loan out to "temporarily" pull that money out, albeit with a interest rate, and turning that money into a post tax contribution but easy to pay off within a year). The credit cards were a mixture of random house stuff that I didn't correctly budget for, and medical issues for our pets. Then my car caught on fire! All in the span of ~6mo.

Anyways, thanks! I knew the CC and 401k loan needed to go ASAP (and that's what I'm doing now), it was the Car/HELOC/Mortgage that I was less sure about particularly when weighing it against 401k and IRA contributions (besides the match).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I find it hard to believe that buying a house led to a HELOC and a bunch of CC debt.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I find it hard to believe that buying a house led to a HELOC and a bunch of CC debt.

The HELOC was part of the mortgage, it was a piggyback loan with the bulk of the value being put on a traditional 30y fixed mortgage, a smaller portion being put on a 15 year fixed HELOC, and then my down payment.

The CC's are only a couple thousand and were things like, both AC units dying at once in the middle of the summer a few months after we moved in, our dog contracting anaplasmosis and spending almost a grand taking care of that, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Steampunk Hitler posted:

The HELOC was part of the mortgage, it was a piggyback loan with the bulk of the value being put on a traditional 30y fixed mortgage, a smaller portion being put on a 15 year fixed HELOC, and then my down payment.

The CC's are only a couple thousand and were things like, both AC units dying at once in the middle of the summer a few months after we moved in, our dog contracting anaplasmosis and spending almost a grand taking care of that, etc.
What was the 401k loan for if you had to get an 80/X anyway?