Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Hell Yeah posted:

steve owns.

I ended up liking Steve a lot but I was also a big fan of watching dude get his face broke in via pervert nerd punches

E haha he got beat up so hard

I am glad Nancy ended up with him instead of dude who took pictures of her getting naked. I mean no competition you gotta go with the hottie

Two Free Toppings fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Steve 110% earned his rear end-whuppin', then was man enough to own up to being a poo poo about it. He was a nice subversion of classic 80s douche.

I also hope his loser friends don't show up next season. Having their final shot "leave them forever in that 7-11 parking lot" is too thematically perfect.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The best character in the show is the spiked bat that Steve twirls like a motherfuckin' baller before smacking a home run on Tuliphead's dome.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

which is why having a science teacher trying to explain it is a huge part of the plot :grin:

Maybe the boys' D&D understanding was more accurate. Which is more likely, that the creature can product terawatts of power on demand to bust a hole through spacetime or that it knows shadow step?

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.
The show is good.

Some of the nostalgia is, yeah, super heavy handed. But that's not surprising. Most is handled well enough. King's IT without the flashbacks.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the writers should have waited more than 15 minutes to crank the show up to 11 but yea its still an outstanding show

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I wish I was like Hopper

Oh wait, I'm already an alcoholic with a tragic past who solves all his problems by punching them in the face

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hopper owns. he takes no sass and seemingly has no fear

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Hopper is an operator. I personally don't respect anyone who doesn't start their day with a cig, some pills washed down by flat leftover beer, and a joint.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I hope hopper and Winona hook up next season

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

the writers should have waited more than 15 minutes to crank the show up to 11 but yea its still an outstanding show

This is something they say they want to do in the second season, make it a much slower build up, which to me only further cements the theory that it'll be a body snatchers scenario.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

just started the first episode a bit ago and this chick's pants holy gently caress why

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Celluloid Sam posted:

just started the first episode a bit ago and this chick's pants holy gently caress why

because 80's, baby

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im in love with this soundtrack it gives my ears a boner

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is something they say they want to do in the second season, make it a much slower build up, which to me only further cements the theory that it'll be a body snatchers scenario.

Between the slug in the sink and the multiple explicit invocations of John Carpenter's "The Thing" there is no loving way they aren't going to at least have bodysnatching in there in some form, even if it's just as a C or D plot to lure the characters into a trap.

Theories that Will will create his own demigorgon or whatever are also probably right, which makes sense but I'd rather see just a bodysnatchers thing with Will's upside-down stuff acting as a metaphor for PTSD that only comes to the fore once the slugs bloom. Then again doing that doesn't involve a return of 11 so I'm a moron for thinking that would happen.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Between the slug in the sink and the multiple explicit invocations of John Carpenter's "The Thing" there is no loving way they aren't going to at least have bodysnatching in there in some form, even if it's just as a C or D plot to lure the characters into a trap.

Theories that Will will create his own demigorgon or whatever are also probably right, which makes sense but I'd rather see just a bodysnatchers thing with Will's upside-down stuff acting as a metaphor for PTSD that only comes to the fore once the slugs bloom. Then again doing that doesn't involve a return of 11 so I'm a moron for thinking that would happen.

I would like Will to be a proper character next season, and not killed off early for shock value. I think the Duffers even suggested that as a bad way to proceed. It'd be great if he took over as the protagonist, and Mike and the others operate as either his support or as a different character group all together. I don't want Will to turn into an rear end in a top hat either, but I do see it possible that he'd start to become more distant and less relatable as whatever "transformation" he's doomed to undergo develops. What a lot of people don't mention and what I took as the most disturbing aspect of the final scene is that Will doesn't look all that shocked that he coughed up a slug--just that the world transforms. This suggests that he's been coughing up slugs before we see this scene, and probably has since he returned. So we have no idea how many of those drat things have come out of him, and how many are still in there.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I would like Will to be a proper character next season, and not killed off early for shock value. I think the Duffers even suggested that as a bad way to proceed. It'd be great if he took over as the protagonist, and Mike and the others operate as either his support or as a different character group all together. I don't want Will to turn into an rear end in a top hat either, but I do see it possible that he'd start to become more distant and less relatable as whatever "transformation" he's doomed to undergo develops. What a lot of people don't mention and what I took as the most disturbing aspect of the final scene is that Will doesn't look all that shocked that he coughed up a slug--just that the world transforms. This suggests that he's been coughing up slugs before we see this scene, and probably has since he returned. So we have no idea how many of those drat things have come out of him, and how many are still in there.

I decided I loved will just about the time he's aiming the gun at the shed door in the first episode, and then I felt pretty snitty when I realized he was a recurring character instead of a main character. I'd love to see a season based around him.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Celluloid Sam posted:

you need to get into the NRW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivpeO_ZUys

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

hopper owns. he takes no sass and seemingly has no fear

Celluloid Sam posted:

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
"I wish Wynona Ryder hadn't reacted so much as a single mom who lost her youngest son under mysterious supernatural circumstances." - a bad opinion that somehow people have.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

RedMage129 posted:

"I wish Wynona Ryder hadn't reacted so much as a single mom who lost her youngest son under mysterious supernatural circumstances." - a bad opinion that somehow people have.

DAAAAAAAMN PWNT

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RedMage129 posted:

She's probably the most important character to emotionally connect the audience to the drama. The kids never doubt that they can save their friend, where Joyce is constantly dealing with all the real world heartache and headache of a missing person. She's also a good example of how even small towns can have a pecking order, and she is something of a lower class member of the Hawkins society. Both of her sons are bullied, she's single, prone to anxiety, and almost everyone immediately assumes she's just lost her mind as soon as Will disappears. She could have ended up locked in an institution had things not turned in her favor towards the end.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Holly Wheeler isn't here for your poo poo.

Holly Wheeler don't give a fuuuuuuuuck

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I'm sorry to be negative, but I don't think this is a very good show. I don't know why people like it so much.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Dennis System posted:

I'm sorry to be negative, but I don't think this is a very good show. I don't know why people like it so much.

You are incorrect goodbye

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The Dennis System posted:

im only on episode 3 but o really like it so far

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this show ain't perfect but it's a lot of fun which is more than 99% of television programming can claim

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'm on Episode 5 or so, and basically it's as if someone took two of the more famous SCP stories and smooshed them together, but with slightly better writing. And 80's.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Celluloid Sam posted:

im only on episode 3 but o really like it so far

psychokitty posted:

You guys are probably right. Most people seem to really like it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

psychokitty posted:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I accept that obviously enjoyment is entirely subjective but from a perspective of how impressive the sets are etc it's amazing

Lemon
May 22, 2003

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

oontz oontz oontz

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Amazeballs

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Omg I love Steve so much

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm watching this first episode and the music is cool and good like John Carpenter wrote and recorded it himself.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
So has Tumblr obsessively sexualize the gently caress out of this show yet

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 7, 2016

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I liked that they dressed up El in a blond wig and dress like the kids did in ET when they took ET out for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AEMINAL posted:

So has Tumblr obsessively sexualize the gently caress out of this show yet

It's safely mainstream so maybe they won't be interested.

• Locked thread