Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

These kids are so loving awesome and nerdy. And the music is so good. It teleports you right back to the 80's like it could be an 80's show but way better made and not cheesy as like the A-Team and poo poo like that. I watched the whole thing and in my brain it's like I watched it in the 80's and just remember it being really good. HFS watch this show it's on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i've seen the first 3 episodes and i feel it's merely okay. does the story get better or is it just bog standard mystery conspiracy stuff and people just like it because it's for ~80s kids~

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i've seen the first 3 episodes and i feel it's merely okay. does the story get better or is it just bog standard mystery conspiracy stuff and people just like it because it's for ~80s kids~

if you're not an 80's kid then gtfo

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

but yes the story is awesome

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i was born in 85 if that counts. i guess ill watch some more episodes before i crash later

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Winona Forever

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Agreed OP, I have to watch the last episode later tonight but I have loved everything to this point. Love that title music.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Episode 4 was where I started to really get into it. I would say watch 4 and if it still isn't your cup of tea then you just aren't cool enough bro.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Agreed OP, I have to watch the last episode later tonight but I have loved everything to this point. Love that title music.

I watched the last episode last night - you are in for a treat.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Just got off the phone with my sister and she said I needed to watch it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just finished episode 3 last night, and plan on watching more tonight. I am probably right square in the target demographic, though - I was 12 years old in 1983.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It's cool and good, but idk where the next season will go since even though the monster appears to have reproduced, the people at the center of the whole thing are dead. Those kids are rad, the police chief is rad, everybody's rad. Watch the show and if you don't like it because :qq: '80s kids, well sorry that you're fucken lame.

I was born in '81 so the '90s is more my thing but since both decades are poo poo it doesn't matter to me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was born in 89 but a lot of the media i consumed as a child was 80s media because i had a family of poors so this was right up my alley.

It wasn't really nostalgic though, like i definitely saw the influences but it's good on its own merits, not just good for being a nearly perfect homage to spielberg, king, and john carpenter.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Watching the first episode now. That little girl in the kid named Mike's family is such a good actor.

naem
May 29, 2011

Uncle Salty posted:

Winona Forever

I love you Winona rider aka every girl I've ever had a crush on

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
The loving intro alone is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDZkbq0Zp8

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

If you were a dork growing up in the 80s you definitely had a friend who lived alone with his divorced Viet Nam veteran father, like I think Lucas is supposed to be, but they didn't really get him right. He was too defensive. In real life he's more cocky. Corey Feldman nailed it in Stand By Me.

The whole thing is worth it just for the kid explaining magnets with a lisp.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Just finished watching it, a) kid actors own b) music selection owns c) title theme owns d) the 80's owns.

If you are the kind of scum who wasn't even alive in the 80's still watch this because then you can at least see into a better time.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Lisp kid is the best. He has all the snacks!!!

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Titus Sardonicus posted:

It's cool and good, but idk where the next season will go since even though the monster appears to have reproduced, the people at the center of the whole thing are dead. Those kids are rad, the police chief is rad, everybody's rad. Watch the show and if you don't like it because :qq: '80s kids, well sorry that you're fucken lame.

I was born in '81 so the '90s is more my thing but since both decades are poo poo it doesn't matter to me.

Here is where the next season of Stanger Things is going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky2dU6oIBAw

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it is pretty good but it is unrepentant nerdbait and the ending is mediocre

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Blue Train posted:

it is pretty good but it is unrepentant nerdbait and the ending is mediocre

Go choke on a Walkman

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

it was written by the dudes who wrote the first season of Wayward Pines, so it's right up my alley.

only on episode 3, but i'm all in.

winona ryder starts off kinda eh, but the character gets better as we follow her more.

the kids though. they carry the whole drat thing.

RIP Barb. you were too good for that.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
the cgi monster sucked, should've went with practical effect to complete the whole 80's thing.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This show made me realize how much I needed milfy strung out winona ryder in my life. I'm only on episode 4 but I will push on.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

man i fuckin loved it, the whole plot was so well justified, they balanced three groups of characters and combined them all in the end so naturally, its totally the best tv show of the year

i can't get over how good the entire show looks and how great the tunes are

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
show was refreshing because the main characters were all good, likeable people. instead of jerk rear end in a top hat morally grey antiheroes like every other tv show currently

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

toothless kid is definitely going to grow up to be an actor of the proportions of Dicaprio or Clooney

naem
May 29, 2011

It's just a nonstop 120% nostalgia boner 24/7 right now

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

psychokitty posted:

These kids are so loving awesome and nerdy. And the music is so good. It teleports you right back to the 80's like it could be an 80's show but way better made and not cheesy as like the A-Team and poo poo like that. I watched the whole thing and in my brain it's like I watched it in the 80's and just remember it being really good. HFS watch this show it's on Netflix.

Wat is it
Is it like goonies

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lots of people compare it to goonies

the way they handle 11 is loving trash

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah the child actors totally own.
I like how notTV shows don't have to worry about time constraints. Some episodes are 55 minutes, some are like 42 and done.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Goonies is cool

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm glad the hottie got with the cool rear end Tunnel Snakes guy instead of the goonie weirdo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Germstore posted:

I'm glad the hottie got with the cool rear end Tunnel Snakes guy instead of the goonie weirdo.

yea this was unexpected and good

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Wtf was that intro taken directly from Neon Demon?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
another guy 3ish episodes in so far here too. hopefully it gets better, but pretty decent already. It's kinda weird because it feels like you're a very small step ahead of everyone a lot of times, hopefully they drop some bombs and blow everything out of the water, idk

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I liked how they handled the tunnel snakes dude showing up at the house in the last episode. I was thinking "Welp, I know what's going to happen here" but instead it turned out cool

This show is what Super 8 should have been

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
CGI monster was whatever, not great but I can give it a pass because it was a pretty rad boss. But whenever they showed the CGI goo rift I was like, nah you could easily have done that practical and it would have looked 10000 times better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
sorry op but i only pay attention to "ranger dings" the Only youtube channel dedicated to preserving your 1996 Ford Ranger.

• Locked thread