Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

According to the PsExec page on the Windows Sysinternals site "the password and command are encrypted in transit to the remote system." https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/pxexec. Of course as always it's worth verifying yourself with a packet capture.

Usually my objections to PsExec are because it's being used in a manner that isn't appropriate. If you're doing a bit of ad-hoc troubleshooting then PsExec is fine but if you're attempting to implement large-scale automation then you should really be using WinRM (As Mustache Ride already mentioned). I see idiots implementing PsExec wrappers in PowerShell scripts all the time and it's dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My senior admin doesn't want to configure WinRM because he thinks it's insecure. Which means I can't just invoke-command, I have to PSExec and use the command that way. I would also have to automate configuring WinRM on every machine in the environment.

I'll see if I can use one of those workarounds. At least I'm not a domain admin, there's a little less poo poo on the sandwich that way. I think.

PSExec has really been making everything a pain in the rear end, that's for sure. I've cut it down to one use at this point by just putting all other relevant information like file locations into a local folder that I copy-item over, and just PSExec a batch file. Now the problem is getting PSExec to accept the username and password from get-credential, because right now I'm having to just put it into the script in plaintext and cut the password out between tests. I'm probably going to ask the powershell thread about that tomorrow.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 5, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is anyone familiar with eDrive / IEEE 1667 / Samsung Encrypted Drive? I'm trying to wrap my head around why the drives leave the factory with the capability disabled and enabling it requires you to first set it to "ready to be enabled" from Windows then secure erase then reinstall the OS from scratch, no restoring images allowed. The drive didn't come with a boot disk or anything to enable eDrive before one goes through installing their entire OS just to wipe it :psyduck:

What's more the Samsung secure erase bootable tool tells you to uncable your drive even if it's plugged directly into the board via M2, but it appears my Asus UEFI handles that just as well. I really don't want to go to all this work just to find out it somehow won't work after a clean install because I used the wrong manufacturer's secure erase, though at least I can restore an image if everything fails.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My senior admin doesn't want to configure WinRM because he thinks it's insecure. Which means I can't just invoke-command, I have to PSExec and use the command that way. I would also have to automate configuring WinRM on every machine in the environment.

I'll see if I can use one of those workarounds. At least I'm not a domain admin, there's a little less poo poo on the sandwich that way. I think.

PSExec has really been making everything a pain in the rear end, that's for sure. I've cut it down to one use at this point by just putting all other relevant information like file locations into a local folder that I copy-item over, and just PSExec a batch file. Now the problem is getting PSExec to accept the username and password from get-credential, because right now I'm having to just put it into the script in plaintext and cut the password out between tests. I'm probably going to ask the powershell thread about that tomorrow.

Your senior admin is a dingus. WinRM can be easily configured via Group Policy and whatnot on all your devices.

If you need to store a password securely then you can use ConvertFrom-SecureString and ConvertTo-SecureString. First you encrypt the password and output it to a file (Note that you have to run this command as the user account which will be executing the script as it uses PBKDF2 to derive the encryption key):

quote:

ConvertFrom-SecureString -SecureString (Read-Host -AsSecureString -Prompt 'Enter String') | Out-File -FilePath "$env:TEMP\encrypted.txt"

Then in your script you can retrieve the encrypted password, convert it to a secure string and then create a PSCredential object along with the username:

quote:

$CredentialObject = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList ('username', (Get-Content "$env:TEMP\encrypted.txt" | ConvertTo-SecureString))

I use this method with scripts for Office 365/Exchange Online automation and it works nicely.

Oh and lol, there's a PowerShell thread? I would be all up in that where's it at?

Edit: it's probably already clear but the snippets above are examples. Don't just store the file in the temp folder, put it alongside the script and configure NTFS ACLs on it so that only the service account that will be executing the script can read it (Just a little bit of extra protection although not infallible).

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 5, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Powershell thread is in Cavern of COBOL.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Cugel the Clever posted:

An honest, if inflammatory question: Does Classic Shell have legitimate use scenarios beyond autists obstinately refusing to adopt modern UI? On the one hand I read "customization", which I don't necessarily object to; on the other, I saw "Classic IE" listed as one of its selling points and nearly spit out my drink.

The kind of person who refuses to upgrade past Windows XP and IE8 for idiosyncratic reasons has to be the malware author's wet dream (though I imagine there's little profit in it).

Kind of makes me long for the good ol' days where being a bregrudging WIndows user meant goofing around with Litestep or bb.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Stupid question from someone who has near-zero idea what he's doing and is just mucking about on a Saturday morning. I'm not particularly up on the vocab, so please forgive me if I call a shovel a spade:

I've always been curious about how to go about actually checking signatures on things I download. Started by downloading latest version of Putty and, after a bit of aimlessly casting about for native Powershell commands, coming down on
code:
Get-FileHash -Algorithm SHA512 -Path .\putty-0.67-installer.msi | Format-List

// Algorithm : SHA512
// Hash      : 40203F737EBC8BA018B64373AB6409D569DC1B4FD835949C3F3A295EC1499D
//             D4C49F5FCD4286E93965C0257B6953ACC2A4C7C633D113369E0375CC97B918A3B4
// Path      : .\putty-0.67-installer.msi
or
code:
CertUtil -hashfile .\putty-0.67-installer.msi SHA512

// SHA512 hash of file .\putty-0.67-installer.msi:
// 40 20 3f 73 7e bc 8b a0 18 b6 43 73 ab 64 09 d5 69 dc 1b 4f d8 35 94 9c 3f
// 3a 29 5e c1 49 9d d4 c4 9f 5f cd 42 86 e9 39 65 c0 25 7b 69 53 ac c2 a4 c7
// c6 33 d1 13 36 9e 03 75 cc 97 b9 18 a3 b4
// CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.
for the basic SHA integrity checks. Things matched up with the listed values on the website, so all's good so far. Plus, learned a variety of nifty Powershell things along the way.

With basic SHA hash stuff sort-of figured out, I decided to take a look at GPG's signature verification whatsits. Pulled the latest executable from their website and decided to run the above tests on it, only to be somewhat miffed/confused that they only list the SHA1 checksums—have I misunderstood my reading elsewhere that SHA1 is better than nothing, but needlessly insecure relative to new algorithms? The SHA1 checksum matched up fine, but I decided to check the signature using an older GPG version I'd installed at some point in the past and never gotten around to actually playing with (or verifying the integrity of :shrug: ).

Downloaded the .sig file for the relevant installer from the website, ran
code:
gpg --verify .\gpg4win-2.3.2.exe.sig .\gpg4win-2.3.2.exe
and received
code:
// gpg: Signature made 07/05/16 06:57:15 Central Daylight Time using DSA key ID EC70B1B8
// gpg: Can't check signature: No public key
Which suggests either the file is suspect (possible), or that I missed a step (likely). I notice the integrity checking page says

quote:

If the output of the above command is similar to the following, then either you don't have our distribution keys (our signing keys are here)
or the signature was generated by someone else and the file should be treated suspiciously.
But fails to actually specify what the heck I'm supposed to do with this information so that the verification can proceed. What am I missing?

Edit: Holy table breaking, batman. Fixed.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 6, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You need the public key used to sign the executable in your keychain. GPG is saying it doesn't have access to the public key, so it can't validate the sig.

Grab the keys at the link they gave you (the signing keys) and import them into your GPG keychain and then do the sig check again.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cugel the Clever posted:

With basic SHA hash stuff sort-of figured out, I decided to take a look at GPG's signature verification whatsits. Pulled the latest executable from their website and decided to run the above tests on it, only to be somewhat miffed/confused that they only list the SHA1 checksums—have I misunderstood my reading elsewhere that SHA1 is better than nothing, but needlessly insecure relative to new algorithms?
SHA1 checksums are more for verifying that your download went OK than for verifying that the executable hasn't been tampered with, although if you're downloading from a 3rd party it can be used for that too. In a nutshell, if you can trust the site where the SHA1 signature is posted, then it's good enough to verify the download. Collisions are (probably) not common enough that an attacker could generate a malicious payload given any arbitrary signature, and if some theoretical attacker (on the level of the NSA) has that capability they're probably just going to hack the site that holds the signature and replace it with their own.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Since everyone hates virus scanners here, what do I do about Windows Defender? Leave it on or turn it off?

Also I noticed in my github account I have an option to upload a pgp key but I'm not really sure what this is. Is this just basically like having a second ssh key I need to babysit?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Boris Galerkin posted:

Since everyone hates virus scanners here, what do I do about Windows Defender? Leave it on or turn it off?

Also I noticed in my github account I have an option to upload a pgp key but I'm not really sure what this is. Is this just basically like having a second ssh key I need to babysit?

Just leave it on but don't waste money on another product.

As for PGP/GPG, it's there for verification that what you published is your code just to prevent tampering. It's trivial to falsify who you are in Git, so signing the commit adds a level of verification.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

OSI bean dip posted:

Just leave it on but don't waste money on another product.

As for PGP/GPG, it's there for verification that what you published is your code just to prevent tampering. It's trivial to falsify who you are in Git, so signing the commit adds a level of verification.
BitBucket doesn't support this yet :-(

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I could contribute to the always exciting AV or no conversation, but instead I'll derail with google's newest brilliant idea: giving websites direct bluetooth access.

Two main problems here:

1) WHY
2) See #1.

Given how hilariously bad commodity device security is, I can't wait for a dual-exploit worm that infects wordpress using whatever 3-year-old bug 90% of the install base hasn't upgraded past that then uses bluetooth to scan for known-vulnerable IoT devices and install a polite request to send bitcoin on them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yes, I'm sure this compromised website popping up a Bluetooth device chooser in response to a random click will totally exploit all those internet-of-things devices.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Jabor posted:

Yes, I'm sure this compromised website popping up a Bluetooth device chooser in response to a random click will totally exploit all those internet-of-things devices.

A more worrying scenario is when someone does choose to bind their bluetooth audio device - a car stereo. Want to bet your life that there's no exploit on the control channel that will let them through to the CAN bus? They've already demonstrated glaring failures in things like ID3 tags on MP3-CD players to get you an exploitable overflow, and jumped from that to controlling the internal systems (locks, AC, etc).

That's not a far-feched hypothetical, every part of that is something that's been demonstrated by researchers or blackhats at this point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Harik posted:

A more worrying scenario is when someone does choose to bind their bluetooth audio device - a car stereo. Want to bet your life that there's no exploit on the control channel that will let them through to the CAN bus? They've already demonstrated glaring failures in things like ID3 tags on MP3-CD players to get you an exploitable overflow, and jumped from that to controlling the internal systems (locks, AC, etc).

That's not a far-feched hypothetical, every part of that is something that's been demonstrated by researchers or blackhats at this point.

So it's really just "people might pair their vulnerable devices with a malicious app"?

Aka "no worse than what people can already do"?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jabor posted:

So it's really just "people might pair their vulnerable devices with a malicious app"?

Aka "no worse than what people can already do"?

Except you don't even need to download an app or pair it, Spotify gets a poisoned ad which autopairs and fucks up whatever it can find with no user effort required.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like they've addressed that by requiring user input to pair - also the device you are connecting to needs to accept the pairing so I can't see how it's less secure than doing Bluetooth outside the browser - it's up to you to decide if that is already a garbage fire or not. I'm not saying that there's isn't room for filling the implementation with horrific bugs but it looks like there's at least a recognition that people might have security concerns over websites accessing physical devices.

I think the use case for this is things like universal remotes where people can update the programming and the device templates without having to use native applications and gently caress around with the million different ways that different Bluetooth drivers present the pairing options.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

And then everyone sets it to remember the pairing settings, because people won't want to the pairing dance every single time.

IoT will be a garbage fire, and I for one can't wait. It's poo poo like this that makes sure I'll be employed for a long time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd hope that each website requesting to pair with the device would be identified separately and any interaction would require confirmation on the device itself but lol I think we know which way that sort of discussion would go.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Meh I'd trust the big browsers more than some lovely app created by god-knows-who to program my remote control, and the spec draft basically leads with security which is a good sign. IoT is probably going to lead to lots of scary/hilarious screwups but I don't see this as particularly bad (and maybe actually keeps more things off of the real internet (probably not the manufacturers want their data)).

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://wicg.github.io/webusb/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahahahahaha. That's awesome.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Just make ChromeKernel already

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

wyoak posted:

Meh I'd trust the big browsers more than some lovely app created by god-knows-who to program my remote control, and the spec draft basically leads with security which is a good sign. IoT is probably going to lead to lots of scary/hilarious screwups but I don't see this as particularly bad (and maybe actually keeps more things off of the real internet (probably not the manufacturers want their data)).

That's not the problem. I trust the browser the way I trust my kernel - it's the website at the other end I don't trust to never make a mistake.

The reason this is wanted is people hate installing an app for everything. With web-BT you can control your color-changing LEDs in a webpage, no app required. Yay! That's great, until they have an XSS vulnerability and now this website (who's only purpose is to control a specific brand of LED lighting, remember) lets anyone on the internet have direct access to some guaranteed-vulnerable IoT hardware. There's already exploits that install wifi sniffers on "smart" lightbulbs, because of course there are.

It's the same for any smart-device and their associated "no-app required" website. Fitbit? Check. Bluetooth speakers with fancy controls/display that go beyond the standard audio HID profile? Check. Replace your streaming app with a website that's given bluetooth access? Of course, how else would the skip-track button get back to the server?

Every one of those websites screams "hack me and gain access to every one of my customers and their vulnerable devices, because that's the only reason they'd be connecting."

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Fitbit doesn't have a no-app-required sync option though?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Have you actually looked at the api, or are you just reacting based on how you've assumed things are going to work?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

ultramiraculous posted:

Fitbit doesn't have a no-app-required sync option though?

Web BT isn't a thing, yet.

Jabor posted:

Have you actually looked at the api, or are you just reacting based on how you've assumed things are going to work?

quote:

User Gesture Required

As a security feature, discovering nearby Bluetooth devices with navigator.bluetooth.requestDevice must be called via a user gesture like a touch or mouse click.

So again, target a website where the user is expecting to interact with bluetooth, from the manufacturer of the device. XSS isn't a thing, really.

quote:

Write to a Bluetooth Characteristic

Writing to a Bluetooth GATT Characteristic is as easy as reading it. This time, let’s use the Heart Rate Control Point to reset the value of the Energy Expended field to 0 on a heart rate monitor device.

It's not read-only. Are you willing to bet that proven-inept IoT manufacturers are suddenly going to manage to implement BLE properly? Because they're really not going to.

It's not a complex thought. This is being made because people resist installing apps. So they buy the hardware and bookmark the manufacturer's Web-BT portal to use it. An XSS vulnerability combines with a guaranteed-to-exist bug in property parsing on the hardware and you've now exploited every single user who tries to change the color of their lighting.

Of course the user is going to accept "connect to this device", that's exactly why they went to the website in the first place.

The "best" part is the devices generally won't be/can't be updated, so every time a bug is found in the website the ancient well-known hardware bug is accessible again.

Replace XSS with direct root access to the website for smaller manufacturers hosted on a VPS with no clue about security or using ancient frameworks because it still works and why update the page for the old product it when the new one is already being sold?

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 15, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Harik posted:

Web BT isn't a thing, yet.

So again, target a website where the user is expecting to interact with bluetooth, from the manufacturer of the device. XSS isn't a thing, really.

Just saying, statements like this makes it look like you have no idea what XSS is beyond "something bad".

What extra attack surface are you seeing that isn't present with a device-specific application that the user is expected to download?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's much easier to get hostile content into a browser than into an app, and typically that hostile content operates in a more flexible environment (scripting, wide access to system APIs). Faked email, Twitter "viruses", compromised ad networks, takeover of non-https sites on public wifi, site hacking. Even if an app exposes a URL scheme, it tends to be quite narrow.

I think WebBT is fine and necessary, but it's definitely a different security landscape from BT-privileged apps.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Subjunctive posted:

It's much easier to get hostile content into a browser than into an app, and typically that hostile content operates in a more flexible environment (scripting, wide access to system APIs). Faked email, Twitter "viruses", compromised ad networks, takeover of non-https sites on public wifi, site hacking. Even if an app exposes a URL scheme, it tends to be quite narrow.

I think WebBT is fine and necessary, but it's definitely a different security landscape from BT-privileged apps.

Right, it's definitely a different security context with different implications. Many of those potential issues are affirmatively addressed in the specification, and others can be reasonable weighed against the security benefits of having this stuff happen in a sandboxed browser context instead of being required to grant a significant amount of trust to yet another opaque application.

I'm mostly objecting to knee-jerking all the way to "this is a horrible and stupid idea" based on fears that don't seem to be entirely grounded in fact.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is the stuff here about key exchange protocols, ciphers, etc (ignoring the things like setting up Tor etc) up to date/good practice?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Apps are sort of the reverse. They are much more vulnerable to trusting the client too much/giving way more information than the client app actually needs or is providing.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are considering the web service endpoints that the app talks to as the URL scheme?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EVIL Gibson posted:

Apps are sort of the reverse. They are much more vulnerable to trusting the client too much/giving way more information than the client app actually needs or is providing.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are considering the web service endpoints that the app talks to as the URL scheme?

No, I'm talking about the way you can launch an fb:// URL on iOS or Android and trigger some action in the Facebook app.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

There's already exploits that install wifi sniffers on "smart" lightbulbs, because of course there are.
Do you (or anyone) have a link for that? Not doubting, I was just talking to a friend about how sketchy some of the IoT stuff is so it would be pretty funny if there were already exploits in the wild.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Not lightbulbs, but how about this from defcon?

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/08/08/thermostats-can-now-get-infected-with-ransomware-because-2016/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Interesting new password rules from NIST: https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/

Summary: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/08/18/nists-new-password-rules-what-you-need-to-know/

quote:

Size matters. At least it does when it comes to passwords. NIST’s new guidelines say you need a minimum of 8 characters

NIST says you should allow a maximum length of at least 64, so no more “Sorry, your password can’t be longer than 16 characters.”

Applications must allow all printable ASCII characters, including spaces, and should accept all UNICODE characters, too, including emoji!

No composition rules. What this means is, no more rules that force you to use particular characters or combinations

Let people choose freely, and encourage longer phrases instead of hard-to-remember passwords or illusory complexity such as pA55w+rd.

No password hints.

No more expiration without reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

These are good rules.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

These are excellent rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous